What's new
What's new

MFG.com Review

Derek_wmw

Plastic
I have a manual machine shop in Texas and we are struggling finding business. I am considering becoming a member with MFG.com and would like some additional opinions from businesses who have already tried it. So is it really worth it? The main benefit I see is having the ability to view and quote jobs, as well as having your profile link show up when performing internet searches. Has anyone had any bad experiences with MFG.com? Any information would be appreciated.

How's about you send me $4000, and in 6 months I'll send you a job that's worth $1000 and I'll pay you $60..

I'll save you all that time bidding, and you'll be time and money ahead.

And to one up MFG.com, I'll even send you a fruit basket to make you feel better about getting raped.

Are there any websites based on this same business model (like MFG.com or Thomasnet.com) that are worth the money? Or is idea of providing small shop suppliers with realistic attainable RFQ's just a scam in itself?

What are some of the alternatives to finding more work for a small shop?

I have a manual machine shop in Texas and we are struggling finding business.

What are some of the alternatives to finding more work for a small shop?

Go and visit some larger CNC shops in your area and make some contacts. A lot of the times, jobs will come across jobs their desk that are not a good fit for their shop, but may be a perfect for yours with all manual machines.

Also, while the shop may have the ability to run said job, many times they just don't make economic sense when they are running more profitable jobs on their CNCs. Those are the types of jobs that would be gladly subbed out to you.

Another thought is concentrate on providing FAST turnaround. Lots of jobs are turned down with big shops because of scheduling issues with long running jobs. You can make really good money on stupid short lead times because someone's ass is in a bind and they need help NOW.

And lastly, stay the fuck away from MFG.com or entities like it. :ack2:

Weimar, TX. We've previously had success working with castings and other types of work that other shops rather not take on. However, if enough work or the right customers come along, we are wanting to eventually get into the CNC market as well, which I previously have experience in. I was just under the impression finding that additional work could be satisfied with a resource such as MFG.com.

The problem with online manufacturing RFQ is usually it is somebody posting a job that he has been sent for RFQ. He doesn't have time to look it over or maybe he just wants a second opinion. So now he can post it online for free and some sucker will spend hours quoting the job that he will never get. The the guy who post it compares his price to yours then sends it back to his customer.

If for some reason it is a legitimate quote then you can be guaranteed it will be shaved so low that you will not make any money on the job.

Stay away from any of these sites and just do some local calls.

I'm sorry to hear your shop is struggling. I hit the same road block a while back and tried MFG.com it was tough. It took time to search for work that would fit in my shop, time to work up a quote that was competitive and the price and contract was high, especially when we started getting slow. If you were to try on online option what would be the biggest factor to trying to bid on job online?

Are there any websites based on this same business model (like MFG.com or Thomasnet.com) that are worth the money?

There may be other sites, but THAT business model is what DOES NOT work.
I think the very few that may have had minuscule sucess mostly used the "service" to locate and identify prospects, then contacted them directly and skipped the
rest of the BS.

Do not recommend!!! This is a waste of time and money. It is true that you can find there some interesting RFQ's but it will be a true mirracle if you land any serious job. After I spend few months tying to get through wit my quotes (and believe me we are competitive and it was shown that we are in the lead mostly) I have started one account as a buyer. Try this once before you pay something! Oh good what a shtl..d of crap and chinesse likes Godess George, Flower Lilly is there! I got loaded up by litterally hundreds of e-mails and it is impossible to distinguish any serious potential partner. So It's a no go! I lost some 1000 eur on it so I am pissed of preety much. Anyways think you guys where does it leave us? Fighting on knives who's gonna give lowest price? It's self destruction! Let's everybody start on them sites and in two years we'll be all out of business by chinesee and taiwan! If it was for me I would ban it cause it's one big pest this site! So many work hours to price things and nothing out!

How's about you send me $4000, and in 6 months I'll send you a job that's worth $1000 and I'll pay you $60..

I'll save you all that time bidding, and you'll be time and money ahead.

And to one up MFG.com, I'll even send you a fruit basket to make you feel better about getting raped.

Promotion type selling is a very bad thing. To receive gifts for your membership is very bad when a employee might be the factor in joining up to buying a service or some equipment. It happens a lot more than you think. It is bribery when a gift is required to get something sold without the full disclosure of any gift given to secure a purchase. The key is openness and full disclosure bring the whole deal to light and no secrets.

Weimar, TX. We've previously had success working with castings and other types of work that other shops rather not take on. However, if enough work or the right customers come along, we are wanting to eventually get into the CNC market as well, which I previously have experience in. I was just under the impression finding that additional work could be satisfied with a resource such as MFG.com.

I haven't tried nor will I try any online resource for work for the many reasons stated.

I am an all manual machine shop that is transitioning into the cnc world. But that is based on the customer's requirements. I could stay manual, but I made the decision to switch after recent work that is better suited to cnc.

Make the jump to cnc, but keep some manual machines. Let your current customers know you are getting cnc's and go knock on new doors. It's cheaper and a hundred times more effective. Networking is key.

Why pay someone?

Make the jump to cnc, but keep some manual machines. Let your current customers know you are getting cnc's and go knock on new doors.

Why the hell would you do that? So they'll know you have machine payments and they know you're needing work to make them now? Then they can beat you up for price reductions, since your much faster and more efficient CNC machines give you shorter cycle times. Seen it happen more than once.

I did it the other way. I never mentioned acquiring (used, not new) CNC machines to my customers, and simply put the added profit of shorter cycle times in MY pocket not theirs. Telling them about your new toys is kinda like talking to the cops........don't do it, they usually don't have your best interests in mind, and they can use whatever you say against you.

Why the hell would you do that? So they'll know you have machine payments and they know you're needing work to make them now? Then they can beat you up for price reductions, since your much faster and more efficient CNC machines give you shorter cycle times. Seen it happen more than once.

I did it the other way. I never mentioned acquiring (used, not new) CNC machines to my customers, and simply put the added profit of shorter cycle times in MY pocket not theirs. Telling them about your new toys is kinda like talking to the cops........don't do it, they usually don't have your best interests in mind, and they can use whatever you say against you.

Well I guess we are a bit different. I don't have payments on any of my equipment. Additionally, a few of my customers asked if I would acquire the capability. I simply said, I am not going into massive debt for a cnc, nor am I changing my pricing or competing with other shops.

The customers and I have a great relationship, they don't screw me and I don't screw them. I just acquired a job and the job didn't make sense, it would cost the customer money and net result would be nothing. I had a meeting and let them know, they changed the job to what I recommended and gave me more work. I am doing ok and don't need to adopt your method of conducting business.

Edit: I understand what you are saying. But, I am a job shop and my customers are always asking if can do this job or that job. So telling them my capabilities is beneficial to them and me. I don't do production type work.

Back