Is "Military Grade Aluminum" the new billet aluminum? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    17,446
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3643
    Likes (Received)
    10591

    Default

    Is it me or doesn't the classification (i.e. 6061 etc.) give a reasonably precise chemical composition? Any alteration would mean a new number/classification.

    Understanding the Aluminum Alloy Designation System

    Alloy designations

    http://www.alueurope.eu/wp-content/u...ion-system.pdf

    I use aluminium (mainly 6061) for several of my products. Main reason - anodizing properties.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    11,366
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    45
    Likes (Received)
    5261

    Default

    The cap 'stone' of the Washington Monument is Aluminum...probably not 'military grade' though.
    A History of the Aluminum Cap of the Washington Monument

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Temecula, Ca
    Posts
    2,101
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    954
    Likes (Received)
    2791

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    The cap 'stone' of the Washington Monument is Aluminum...probably not 'military grade' though.
    A History of the Aluminum Cap of the Washington Monument
    I hope it's at least domestic

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2280
    Likes (Received)
    287

    Default

    I just yesterday watched a you tube video where they took a sledge hammer to this new Truck and had it repaired. It basically is twice as expensive as Steel to fix at a body shop. I know Aluminum has not wanted to bend for me very much when I make a chip hook out of a piece of stock. It wants to break. Also with Areospace or anything I was always told to watch out for cracking even small cracks especially on Aerospace stuff it becomes instant scrap. The video was a trip because it was a brand new truck. I think it was Edmonds.com video.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Deltona Fl.
    Posts
    1,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1624
    Likes (Received)
    783

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    The best thing on metals I have discovered lately is actually science fiction based on Star Trek. Link....I do not know if this is real at all yet a lot comes from our imaginations and are made into reality. Enjoy Transparent Aluminum | Make:

    I hate those Engineers at Ford for making this truck with the Aluminum body they are nit wits! Why do you ask? It is because now I want one so much!
    Yes, ALON or transparent aluminum is a thing, and it is commercially available. Good luck getting your hand's on some though, it's stupid expensive and until recently was only sold directly to Darpa and military and presidential armor suppliers.

    I had an aluminum Audi back in 2000 and I loved it, the Germans and Brits have been using aluminum on cars for a while now and have most of the kinks worked out. You just have to be smart enough to not let the guy with the sledge hammer near it.

  6. Likes Spinit liked this post
  7. #26
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mid-Iowa, USA
    Posts
    3,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3460
    Likes (Received)
    2049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    I just yesterday watched a you tube video where they took a sledge hammer to this new Truck and had it repaired. It basically is twice as expensive as Steel to fix at a body shop. I know Aluminum has not wanted to bend for me very much when I make a chip hook out of a piece of stock. It wants to break. Also with Areospace or anything I was always told to watch out for cracking even small cracks especially on Aerospace stuff it becomes instant scrap. The video was a trip because it was a brand new truck. I think it was Edmonds.com video.

    This one?



    Edit: Part 2:
    https://youtu.be/Um7UpIA4X0s

    Also apparently only one embedded video allowed per post. Boo!

    2015 Ford F-150 Lowest Cost of Repairing - Consumer Reports

  8. Likes Spinit liked this post
  9. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,449
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2280
    Likes (Received)
    287

    Default

    Yes that is the one alright. It is shocking. I am glad I do not have one in the driveway and see someone do that! Wow!

  10. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1252
    Likes (Received)
    1800

    Default

    This is what happens Larry..............

  11. Likes Atomkinder liked this post
  12. #29
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6660
    Likes (Received)
    4697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    OMG, Europeans use the same numbering system for aluminum that we do! I once naively asked a French engineer if they used the same numbering system for steels as the US and he kind of turned on me, snarling "Why would we?" I always thought the four-digit system for steel--like that for aluminum--was pretty convenient. So why not?

  13. #30
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mid-Iowa, USA
    Posts
    3,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3460
    Likes (Received)
    2049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    OMG, Europeans use the same numbering system for aluminum that we do! I once naively asked a French engineer if they used the same numbering system for steels as the US and he kind of turned on me, snarling "Why would we?" I always thought the four-digit system for steel--like that for aluminum--was pretty convenient. So why not?
    Well we do use a four number system, at least for some steels: 4130, 4140, 1080, etc.

  14. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Canada
    Posts
    666
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    438
    Likes (Received)
    212

    Default

    Since my earlier post I came across a job from our adjacent large hospital which involves 200 2" x 1.25" x .375" trapezoidal sided parts with some threaded and clear holes. It seems to be for a large scale retrofit of some sort of appliance they have a lot of. I don't know the application details but I did see the plan and what set of the alarm bells was the spec was for 7075 Al. I cannot possibly imagine why 7075 would make sense here so I'm guessing it was another case of Aircraft Mil Spec Billet Must be Awesomer. I'm suggested we do it in cold rolled mild sheet which we laser cut, bend and plate with oxide or nickel. I'm waiting to hear back but it will be worth it if I can meet the person who spec'd the 7075. I promise not to be snarky.

  15. #32
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mid-Iowa, USA
    Posts
    3,556
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3460
    Likes (Received)
    2049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcoope View Post
    I promise not to be snarky.
    extra text

  16. #33
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Posts
    3,044
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6660
    Likes (Received)
    4697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Atomkinder View Post
    Well we do use a four number system, at least for some steels: 4130, 4140, 1080, etc.
    Yes, we use four digits for aluminum and for carbon and alloy steels (except when the carbon reaches 1.00%, e.g. 52100). I was asking about the Europeans, why they don't. They have designations like 8MnSi7 and so on, and the UK has a different system with numbers like EN6, EN47. Not to say one way is any better than another, you still have to memorize it, whatever it is. It just stuck me as sort of ironic, that with all the snark on this forum about the backward Americans with their inches and pounds it should turn out we grade aluminum the same way.

  17. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,854
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2854
    Likes (Received)
    3169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rcoope View Post
    Truck commercials generally make me wince .
    Seems like they may have turned the corner on imaginary technical things, now all they need to do to sell trucks is hire the slowest talker.

    I dislike firms who assume the target market is all drooling idiots.

  18. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    SW PA
    Posts
    6,024
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1266
    Likes (Received)
    726

    Default

    " The cap 'stone' of the Washington Monument is Aluminum...probably not 'military grade' though.
    A History of the Aluminum Cap of the Washington Monument
    I hope it's at least domestic."

    It was, Indeed, Domestic. I believe the largest casting that Hall made, the inventor of the Hall Process. I DO believe that it cost more than gold. 1884, I think, but I may be off a few years.

    George

  19. #36
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    17,446
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3643
    Likes (Received)
    10591

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Yes, we use four digits for aluminum and for carbon and alloy steels (except when the carbon reaches 1.00%, e.g. 52100). I was asking about the Europeans, why they don't. They have designations like 8MnSi7 and so on, and the UK has a different system with numbers like EN6, EN47. Not to say one way is any better than another, you still have to memorize it, whatever it is. It just stuck me as sort of ironic, that with all the snark on this forum about the backward Americans with their inches and pounds it should turn out we grade aluminum the same way.
    Last I checked the UK was still in Europe.

    The system used depends on the area and habits and customs are hard to change.

    Probably just me but I don't get how you manage to get "It just stuck me as sort of ironic, that with all the snark on this forum about the backward Americans with their inches and pounds" out of any system comparisons. Don't know if you can find one or it's just your imagination working overtime but can you direct me to a post where anyone writes that they think Americans are "backwards"?

  20. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    7,634
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    255
    Likes (Received)
    1605

    Default

    For what it's worth, 6061, 7075 or 2024 or whatever other alloy of AL isn't aircraft grade aluminum all by itself.
    Just to name a few flavors of "Aircraft Grade" 6061 Alloy: AMS4028, AMS4083, AMS4113, AMS4117, AMS4127, AMS4128 ...

    And heaven help you if you interchange one with the other unless specifically authorized.

  21. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Denver, CO USA
    Posts
    11,366
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    45
    Likes (Received)
    5261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Seems like they may have turned the corner on imaginary technical things, now all they need to do to sell trucks is hire the slowest talker.

    I dislike firms who assume the target market is all drooling idiots.
    Sadly, the truck market is largely populated with mouth breathers.

  22. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Posts
    3,309
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    575
    Likes (Received)
    1456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    Seems like they may have turned the corner on imaginary technical things, now all they need to do to sell trucks is hire the slowest talker.

    I dislike firms who assume the target market is all drooling idiots.
    But the majority of their market is the drooling idiot demographic, can't blame them for playing to their audience. Hell, I even own a Ford truck, but mine has steel panels.

  23. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1252
    Likes (Received)
    1800

    Default

    I dislike firms who assume the target market is all drooling idiots.
    And here I was thinkin' that to get a human being to spend north of $40,000.00 on a pickup truck, it would be handy to know where the drooling idiot neighborhood was.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •