• Thread starter otrlt
  • Start date
  • Replies 182
  • Views 32,693
O

otrlt

I recently seen CNN's Apollo 11,
It was awesome. A must see.

If there are any PM members that have contributed to this program, I congratulate you, for a job well done almost 50 years ago.

Where were you in 1969?

I was 9 years old. Sitting on the floor, eyes glued to the old black and white in my grandpas living room.

I was camping in my neighbors backyard, I was also 9 years old.

It's doubtful that any of our members worked on the Apollo Program, Their age would be at least in their 8o's

A bunch of nine year olds, another one here. I had neighbors who were deeply involved, the San Fernando Valley was a hub of aerospace in the 1950's-60's. I remember as a tot hearing the roar and feeling the tremble of Rocketdyne testing F1 engines at Santa Susana.

There was parts and pieces of the Apollo program everywhere, the Guppy and Supper Guppy at Van Nuys airport, Rocketdyne and Hughes in the west valley, North American in the south bay and San Gabriel Valley. My immediate family was not involved but, had several people in the family and friends directly involved.

The stuff that got done to make that happen in the time frame it occurred was really inspiring.

Steve

another member of the 1960 club, I was watching it from the old Soviet block, what amazes me that it was not made out to be capitalist propaganda, but a newsworthy event.

dee
;-D

another member of the 1960 club, I was watching it from the old Soviet block, what amazes me that it was not made out to be capitalist propaganda, but a newsworthy event.

dee
;-D

Now people don't believe it even happened. People are just so retarded, one person says something convincingly and next thing you know thousands believe it. Even with indisputable evidence lol.

The stuff that got done to make that happen in the time frame it occurred was really inspiring.

Steve

Yes it was Steve,
What is also notable is the quality of machinetools that were produced during that period. I'll bet that most of those tools are still in operation.

CNN will broadcast Apollo 11 in a few weeks, but it is now available on pay per view.

My Dad worked at McDonnell Douglas in the early 60's,
It was only a few days after July 24th's landing when he treated himself to a brand new Chevrolet Malibu Coupe.

I can still remember what it smelled like in our garage.

It's in my garage now, stripped of all paint. It's too bad that I couldn't have completed it in time for it's 50th birthday

For me, the thing I liked the most was that we weren't content just to go there and walk around. No, we had to drive. So we built a folding car for the astronauts to take with them. Genius!

That is just so quintessentially American. We love our cars and by god we will take them everywhere. :D

That is just so quintessentially American. We love our cars and by god we will take them everywhere. :D

Yes Jan,
This event was absolutely American.
50 years later, it can't be matched.

For me, the thing I liked the most was that we weren't content just to go there and walk around. No, we had to drive. So we built a folding car for the astronauts to take with them. Genius!

Strangely it was actually von Braun's idea for the moon rover vehicle...

And bizarrely enough if it was not for the Lunar Rover the Apollo 15 crew especially , we would not have found the "Genesis rock" most important clue to the Moon's formation, but Apollo 17 did some amazing geological field work (Cernan, Evans, Schmitt ) thanks to the actual "roving" capability of the "Rover".

^^^ "Moon machines" documentary; if you don't own it is worth buying, this is terrific episode how the amazing "Peeps" at GM devised the means to pack a lunar rover on the cramp remaining quarter bay of the decent stage of the LEM.

My old man used to work at Marshal Spaceflight Centre in Huntsville Alabama, but left before the main Apollo launches, but then was later hired to design the sets for a famous space movie. Unfortunately after he died the conspiracy nit-wits would use his "work" and experience to say the moon landings were faked with Kubrick (which of course is beyond absurd.).

I did materials science research and conservation research on the nation's collection of space suits at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum (in the early 90's ). [Part of a research fellowship.]. I was born after 1969.

But been a space "Addict" ever since.

_________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________

* (Commander David Scott and lunar module Pilot James Irwin, who used the first lunar rover to make three exploratory trips away from their landing site at the base of the Apennine Mountains, near Hadley Rille. )

Apollo 15 operations on the Lunar surface - Wikipedia

Genesis Rock - Wikipedia

^^^ Gensesis rock.

We do like to do things on a grand scale, don't we!

What the space program has given us is invaluable. A lot of what is now everyday things had their beginnings there.

I watched in real time.
My dad used to wake us up to see the important bits.
He as far as possible immersed us in our times- those ocean splash downs...
It was a cool time to be a kid.
I remember my dads dismay when the fire burned the men in the test capsule of Apollo 1.

One of those times that if you saw you remember (up north at the cabin). Sort of like where were you when you heard JFK got shot (walking home from school).
It was such a big time of national pride with no other real equal in my lifetime. This uplift in the mess of Nam and after the riots which was a divisive time.
Most of the papers I wrote in school no matter the class were centered on the space program.
Bob

I worked in Houston for a job shop that did some work for NSA I have no idea what we were making. Being in the area at the time was interesting A lot interesting work in different shops. I am 74

Back