Moon Shot; 1969 - Page 9
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 182

Thread: Moon Shot; 1969

  1. #161
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    166
    Likes (Received)
    977

    Default

    Though I'm past 100,000 miles, I'm feeling very still...and I think my spaceship knows which way to go.

  2. Likes Mud, Weasel liked this post
  3. #162
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    166
    Likes (Received)
    977

    Default

    Here men from the planet earth
    first set foot upon the moon
    July 1969 a.d.
    We came in peace for all mankind





    Short, sweet, and elegant...

  4. Likes jbacc liked this post
  5. #163
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    166
    Likes (Received)
    977

    Default

    50 years ago at this time and date we landed on the moon...the eagle has landed

  6. Likes otrlt, cameraman liked this post
  7. #164
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    464
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    122
    Likes (Received)
    172

    Default

    A friend of mine was invited to last week's black tie event at President Reagan's Library in southern California. He was fortunate to have pictures taken with Buzz Aldren and excuse me for not knowing the other two remaining astronauts that walked on the moon.

    I told him that the photo is the equivalent of having your picture taken with Babe Ruth, Willy Mays and Roberto Clemente.

    July 20 1969' a day that will never be forgotten.

  8. Likes jbacc, TheOldCar liked this post
  9. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    7,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    364
    Likes (Received)
    6205

    Default

    How much where we a different place then?
    A divisive war and much racial dived but this united people.
    Perhaps JFK's best .
    I have always thought the death of the USSR would not be good for us as we no longer have that competitor.
    All the talk and such,,,,,We did this to beat them and we did it.
    So many people and so much tech at the time folded into this.
    All off of one leaders one day speech.
    Bob

  10. Likes otrlt, barbter liked this post
  11. #166
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    464
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    122
    Likes (Received)
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    How much where we a different place then?
    A divisive war and much racial dived but this united people.
    Perhaps JFK's best .
    I have always thought the death of the USSR would not be good for us as we no longer have that competitor.
    All the talk and such,,,,,We did this to beat them and we did it.
    So many people and so much tech at the time folded into this.
    All off of one leaders one day speech.
    Bob
    Yes Bob,
    The Russians never had a chance. The commitment from the US to spend "what ever it takes" made this happen.

    Many of these contractors received Purchase Orders that were labeled as "1 cent", these contractors named their price.

  12. #167
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    7,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1740
    Likes (Received)
    3136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    How much where we a different place then?
    A divisive war and much racial dived but this united people.
    Perhaps JFK's best .
    I have always thought the death of the USSR would not be good for us as we no longer have that competitor.
    All the talk and such,,,,,We did this to beat them and we did it.
    So many people and so much tech at the time folded into this.
    All off of one leaders one day speech.
    Bob
    About the time we were getting mad at Saddam, one of our space advocacy group arranged for the official journalist for the Russian space effort to visit and give a talk here. He was in Chicago doing some sort of internship with a newspaper there. He hung around with the people we only see in newsreels, talked about what a nice guy Yuri Gagarin was and how egotistical Valentina Tereshkova was. Afterward, some of us got to talk with him and his wife. I especially remember one comment she made. The Russian government was in turmoil with Gorbachev trying to hold it together. Regarding Saddam, "You lost one enemy. You were very fortunate to find another."

    We won't have that problem for a while. Our leader is determined to keep the enemy supply full/

    Bill

  13. Likes fusker liked this post
  14. #168
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    1,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    We won't have that problem for a while. Our leader is determined to keep the enemy supply full.
    Disclaimer : I don't like the man. But let's be fair. By this time in their tenures, all three of the presidents preceding him had several wars on their resume. If anything, he has been more restrained than anyone we've had since 1980.

  15. Likes fusker, empwoer, otrlt liked this post
  16. #169
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    2,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3964
    Likes (Received)
    13271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I have always thought the death of the USSR would not be good for us as we no longer have that competitor.
    Bob
    There are now two that are serious competitors. China and India.

    The US was first to the Moon but who'll be the first to Mars?

    If our Sun was the size of a golf ball (4cm) the Earth is about 4m away. The next nearest Sun, on the same scale is 1,200km away. That's about 1½ inches, 160 inches and 750 miles.

    Mind boggling distances.

  17. #170
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Flushing/Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    7,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    364
    Likes (Received)
    6205

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    There are now two that are serious competitors. China and India.
    ......
    All the other "enemies" now are not so much competitors.
    China of course and behind that India as noted.
    Difference is that both are seen as producers of "cheap" stuff so the public does not see them as worthy competition.
    The USSR was a totally different deal. They sold nothing here but we wanted so badly to outshine them.
    We were never miles ahead of them in this race.
    The problem with being king of the hill is that you get complacent and start having internal augments as you have no other big boy knocking on the door.
    I fear that is where we are now.
    Bob

  18. Likes fusker, empwoer, barbter liked this post
  19. #171
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    2,787
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3964
    Likes (Received)
    13271

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    All the other "enemies" now are not so much competitors.
    China of course and behind that India as noted.
    Difference is that both are seen as producers of "cheap" stuff so the public does not see them as worthy competition.
    The USSR was a totally different deal. They sold nothing here but we wanted so badly to outshine them.
    We were never miles ahead of them in this race.
    The problem with being king of the hill is that you get complacent and start having internal augments as you have no other big boy knocking on the door.
    I fear that is where we are now.
    Bob
    "Cheap stuff" won't get you into space and "complacency" is the biggest "enemy".

    I wonder what future Martians (of Earth descent) will speak? Chinese, Hindu or English?

    50 years after US moon landing, China is catching up in the space race - CNN

  20. #172
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,800
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    166
    Likes (Received)
    977

    Default

    We're never gonna really know it...but we are the only humanlike beings in the universe living on the only earthlike planet in the universe...I wonder how it all happened, the universe, planets, stars, black holes, quasars, pulsars, red giants, nutrinos, meteors, asteroids, galaxies, supernovi, gamma ray bursts, etc...mind blowing all this stuff is "here" yet we have no clue about how or why. Not only that we don't know, we will never know. Everything we know is theory, there is research to back it up but there is no way to actually prove it.

    I find it amazing that the diversity of life on Earth is so complex yet works so well. I wish more people would recognize the whole picture, not just their little piece of the earth.

  21. Likes otrlt liked this post
  22. #173
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    464
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    122
    Likes (Received)
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    "Cheap stuff" won't get you into space and "complacency" is the biggest "enemy".

    I wonder what future Martians (of Earth descent) will speak? Chinese, Hindu or English?

    50 years after US moon landing, China is catching up in the space race - CNN
    They will speak American English, we are much further along than most think.

  23. #174
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,598
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3051
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    Makes me feel that we live in a really great time. The space program spun off many innovations which transferred into the private sector that advanced the whole world. The push to the moon and after to Mars will advance that along.

    I look forward to everything they are doing and have planned.

  24. #175
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    1,523
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Makes me feel that we live in a really great time. The space program spun off many innovations which transferred into the private sector that advanced the whole world. The push to the moon and after to Mars will advance that along.
    There were people in the space program who did not like the moon landings. Or more accurately, they liked the moon landings fine but thought that we got more knowledge for less cost by unmanned projects, such as Galileo and Voyager and the Hubble.

    If it hadn't been for the "defense" department, there never would have been a space shuttle. It was pretty cool but as things turned out, we probably could have got a lot more for the money by doing more real research projects and less spy satellite installations.

  25. #176
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Woodland Hills, Ca. and some times Hutchinson, Ks.
    Posts
    2,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    We're never gonna really know it...but we are the only humanlike beings in the universe living on the only earthlike planet in the universe...I wonder how it all happened, the universe, planets, stars, black holes, quasars, pulsars, red giants, nutrinos, meteors, asteroids, galaxies, supernovi, gamma ray bursts, etc...mind blowing all this stuff is "here" yet we have no clue about how or why. Not only that we don't know, we will never know. Everything we know is theory, there is research to back it up but there is no way to actually prove it.

    I find it amazing that the diversity of life on Earth is so complex yet works so well. I wish more people would recognize the whole picture, not just their little piece of the earth.
    I agree that we "mankind" will never know at least without some form of time travel. That said, I still think of the billions and billions of celestial bodies that have come and gone. Are we the only experiment that took hold? We are figuratively a grain of sand on a beach in the universe. There is all the same components on earth floating around in space, the idea that we are the ONLY random sample that evolved is pretty egotistical IMHO.

    That diversity on earth you describe so well points to the idea that it is not unique to this little rock. We just don't know what we don't know. Even IF there was intelligent life a few light years away we would likely never know it.

    Steve

  26. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
  27. #177
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    7,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1740
    Likes (Received)
    3136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by plastikdreams View Post
    I find it amazing that the diversity of life on Earth is so complex yet works so well. I wish more people would recognize the whole picture, not just their little piece of the earth.
    The diversity of life works so well because anything that didn't was eliminated. People talk about restoring the balance of nature when actually it is often not restorable at all. If you dump a load of rocks, they will form a complex pattern that may collapse if you pull one rock out. Putting it back will not make the rest go back in their original places. Darwin and all that, you know. Replacement can work, such as returning the wolves to Yellowstone, but they were only away for a short time and everything else stayed pretty much in place.

    There is no reason for things on another planet to evolve the same way but there are some natural laws that will be the same there.

    Bill

  28. #178
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    7,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1740
    Likes (Received)
    3136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Disclaimer : I don't like the man. But let's be fair. By this time in their tenures, all three of the presidents preceding him had several wars on their resume. If anything, he has been more restrained than anyone we've had since 1980.
    Unfortunately, you are correct. As Bobby Darin said, Some folks love doing battle, like presidents, prime ministers and kings.

    Bill

  29. Likes Spinit liked this post
  30. #179
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    2,598
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3051
    Likes (Received)
    479

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    They will speak American English, we are much further along than most think.
    We have a proven record. We have the technical expertise and infrastructure. We also have not given away our strategic industries completely. The people at NASA are not intimidated by anything except public apathy.

  31. #180
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    21
    Likes (Received)
    59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    The people at NASA are not intimidated by anything except public apathy.
    Or wearing the wrong shirt in public.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •