What's new
What's new

New Factories

gwelo62

Cast Iron
I watched an interview with Ford's CEO. Part of his problem was that the Japanese chip factory burned down. No problem. The Japs rebuilt the factory and are back in production!
Is it any wonder that Western manufacturing is kaput? After 9 months we would still be discussing the landscaping.

I watched an interview with Ford's CEO. Part of his problem was that the Japanese chip factory burned down.
According to Motley Fool, the real problem was that when the virus first hit all the auto companies cancelled orders. Chip factories didn't care, the electronics biz is way bigger than auto (auto is about 10%) so they just redistributed the orders. Then later on car sales were higher than expected but too late, too bad so sad auto guys. Production time already be sold to others ...

Like so many things, stupid decisions being blamed on the virus when the truth is different.

According to Motley Fool, the real problem was that when the virus first hit all the auto companies cancelled orders. Chip factories didn't care, the electronics biz is way bigger than auto (auto is about 10%) so they just redistributed the orders. Then later on car sales were higher than expected but too late, too bad so sad auto guys. Production time already be sold to others ...

Like so many things, stupid decisions being blamed on the virus when the truth is different.

I read the same thing but you're not entirely right. It was based on the virus in many ways. The auto companies canceling the orders was because of the virus, the surge in electronic sales and shift of the chip market was also due to the virus and people staying home.

Not to worry though my wife showed me a headline this morning that New Jersey is going to start paying people who are being paid not to work to get back to work. California take notice this one is for you!

And yet Ford just announced they are building 4 new factories, in Kentucky and Tennesee. And they are getting the Koreans to pay for about a quarter of the cost. Ford, SK to invest $11.4 bln to add electric F-150 plant, three battery factories | Reuters

Blue Oval City will be 3600 acres.

actually the japanese, germans, and koreans have built a few hundred factories in the US in the last ten years or so, mostly automotive, with virtually no fuss about landscaping. Various foreign companies, including Germans, Indians, and Russians, have built new steel mills in the USA relatively recently too.
When there is an actual profit to be made, buildings go up.

The Big Three or now the Big Twelve came up with the J.I.T.
delievery seems sometimes to bite em in the butt,eh?
Gw

I prefer to have stk at hand,thats me.

Don't forget about the new "sad days off"

I read the same thing but you're not entirely right. It was based on the virus in many ways. The auto companies canceling the orders was because of the virus, the surge in electronic sales and shift of the chip market was also due to the virus and people staying home.

Not to worry though my wife showed me a headline this morning that New Jersey is going to start paying people who are being paid not to work to get back to work. California take notice this one is for you!

When to Take a Mental Health Day - The New York Times

EG so the pandemic hits everyone’s life is drastically changed so much that businesses are idled across the country and things get tough. So much so that the government sent out money to business, some was stolen or received unnecessarily.

The small business owner often was last in line. All of this effected the Auto makers. (American and foreign import)

So they cancelled what would anyone do? It is because we send many things someplace else to be made. We likely have forgotten how to put together manufacturing operations.

They have been gone so long that even people in our current trade feel smarmy about it all. How we are a bad country in decline and can never pull out.

You reflect negative views of the US frequently and you often can make compelling points. But I will point this out “No one ever called me a imperialist.”

You could yet you know that I am Americans first that includes those who are misguided in their judgement about us and feel we will continue to be dependent of overseas manufacturing.

I believe we have the know how for clean manufacturing.
The engrained systems of manufacturing which we shear off could not be reformed they had to be essentially killed off.

They were as in other Western countries and we have paid a heavy price. Good paying jobs left in vast numbers as homeless rates and social ills rose. This has happened over decades.

Had it been the case that we did have the will and the restraint from shipping our manufacturing base out of the US and the quality of patience we could be much better off. So would other trading partners. There is enough for us all I think.

Lots of mistakes even encouraged and supported by government have occurred. It is understandable that we hear criticisms which persons such as yourself have given in the past as vocal and harsh as they can be sometimes. Noted.

So you and some others are somewhat alienated and set adrift and you are angry. Your counter opposed friends are also. They are just as angry.

Excess anger is very counterproductive as it blocks real progress. All that anyone has to do is open a wound and rub salt in. It is a distraction for distracted people and works well. New Factories? Yes we need them and they will be better than we had in the olden days. Americans want clean factories not the olden kind we sent away.

We can not be dependent if we are capable of being independent. Best regards.

Reis is correct. The opening of all of these prove that manufacturing is doable here. Imagine that our trade be reformed and viable again all of us compensated accordingly.

The exit of manufacturing highly desolated many Americans for a whole generation. Time to own up to that and reverse it. We have to have supply from right here in America first. Let’s not waste it fighting the whole dang world.

In the last couple of weeks, I've read more than a few articles talking about supply chain issues.
They pretty much all mentioned Lean and JIT as a "possible" cause, but then gave a whole lotta bullshit about everything but.

Wondering how long before someone has the courage to stand up and state the fact that neither of those are one-size-fits-all strategies.

We're a machine builder at work and the biggest problem I see is how is industry supposed to get the parts to make machines to make machines to make more parts.

Has anyone out there tried buying parts from Siemens recently. Once common run of the mill standard stuff is coming in with lead times greater than a year!

I just hope Rockwell and Allen Bradley are equally messed up otherwise our competitors are going to eat our lunch!

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Where are you reading this stuff at? Sources please.

Headline:

Biden to give every American 10 billion dollars in cash. Every year.

Now you can tell your wife and friends about this new headline.

Anyone can make up "headlines". Even you.

Where are you reading this stuff at? Sources please.

Headline:

Biden to give every American 10 billion dollars in cash. Every year.

Now you can tell your wife and friends about this new headline.

Anyone can make up "headlines". Even you.

Even MSN is complicit...."Democrats unveil plan to issue quarterly checks to Americans by taxing oil companies"

Sounds like typical Dem nonsense.

MSN

Even MSN is complicit...."Democrats unveil plan to issue quarterly checks to Americans by taxing oil companies"

Sounds like typical Dem nonsense.

MSN

You're probably too young to remember the term "windfall profits tax" but it was something from the 70's when the Arabs formed OPEC and raised prices on oil. The oil companies decided to cash in and made obscene profits on the crisis while so many people were hurting just like today. Finally the politicians decided to tax "excess profits". I don't remember getting any checks from it but it sounds like deja vu all over again.

And you may have missed it but this is a proposal, not a law. There's probably not much chance of any money making it from the oil companies to us ordinary Americans but it makes for good campaign ads and both sides are guilty. They just do it in different ways.

When JIT was a religion ,I read that Ford shut down the Louisville truck factory because they had run out of precut rubber strips that fit under the strap fuel tank mounts.......factory reopened when the rubber strips arrived.....just enough for the held up production.

Anyhoo,cant knock the auto producers.....I was certain the covid pandemic would cause a worldwide depression,with falling land prices.....how wrong I was ......I was glad to sell to a neighbour for $1m,foolishly thought cash would be king......wrong,wrong wrong.

Intel announced last month they are building a new semiconductor factory in Ohio. $20 Billion. Will take 3 years to build. They then want to make it 8 times as big. By then, you will be talking real money.
It still wont make much of a dent in the volume of chips being made in Taiwan.

It really pisses me having electronics to control stuff in a car that can be done in a second by hand.....brake lights in my little pickup staying on ......switch is broken.......nope,no switch, its a computer malfunction...........well not no more it aint....I installed a coupla wires and a pedal operated switch......Back to the old days when my old man had a cord that opened the trunk from the driver seat ....thats the kinda automation thats practical.

Not every body embraced JIT. We did work for Walmart that required a 6 mo supply on hand. Not sure if that was a requirement for all their products. Although they are a retailer they still depend on rapid inventory turn over.

We have had hot jobs that customers had trucks waiting for product that would go straight to the assembly line. Don't know if that was JIT or piss pore planning!

We just doubled our warehouse space and are already running out. I asked the PM if our customers were maybe moving away JIT. Said not so much as business expanding.

When the pandemic started I expected a lot of slow down, doom and gloom but that has not been so. Last month was a high point for this plant, just shy of 9 mil. shipped.

Back