Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy2 View Post
    What this means is that if you are making $10 an hour, you better figure out what skills do I need to make $20. You do not need to necessarily go to an official classroom to learn things. People need to look to themselves for a path to betterment.

I actually learned very little that was valuable for the workplace in the classroom. The most valuable skills I developed myself through study and effort.

Being able to see and assimilate information in the workplace is the most valuable of all the needed skills. Have to be able to see the trees in the forest.

I totally disagree that all of the good jobs went overseas, it is true many of the overpaid jobs might have went but there is plenty of opportunity in the US to make good money. Just need to able to see the opportunities.

There are plenty of jobs over $10 per hour in the Rockford area people can start out with and move on over time and experience. The local bus company is paying $16 per hour and there are plenty of manufacturing jobs/assembly paying over $12-$15 per hour. I think Dollar General in Janesville is paying close to $18-$19 per hour. These are good jobs to start out on and work you way into a better skill set that will pay more but it take a lot of hard work to get to the next level.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For all that are still concerned about tariffs,

relax, unless you pedal or purchase Chinese crap your going to be just fine.

Buy Quality, buy US products.

It seams that the most concerned among us about tariffs are people who don't work for a living.

3. Likes CalG liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT: [It seams that the most concerned among us about tariffs are people who don't work for a living.]
    One of my Boy Scouts got a job at Lowes along with going to community college.
    Sharp hard working polite young Man.. I figure if he stays there he will become a department manager or better. Or going to a profession (what ever) he will do well. He is doing everything on his own.

I expect by the time he is 25 he will be at $25 plus. $25 is usually $50K or more per year. Yes he is out of Boy Scouts, at 18 your done with Scouts. They have older groups but with not all the fund raisers its a little expensive, plus school and work he does not have time..

Another boy, son of a friend of the same age hates his similar job.. bad mouths the company about anything he can think of...guess he might make $12 or so most of his life.

Lowe's Salaries | CareerBliss

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first "job" that paid taxes was at $1.65 an hour.
    I was in Jr High, and still welcomed the OT!

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post

It seams that the most concerned among us about tariffs are people who don't work for a living.
    Genuine curiosity. What quality 100% Made in the USA products would you recommend? Relevant to the machining industry.

I think those that are most genuinely concerned about tarifs are those that are affected by them. A few profit from them but most pay more than they usually do. As several have pointed out tarifs become a form of tax. The question becomes - who does it help and how?

There's nothing wrong with the citizens of any country buying their own products but the wealthiest industrial countries thrive on export.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh absolutely. Like your teevee and your stereo and the computer you are typing on right now ... quality US products.

Does "delusional" have any meaning to you ?

8. Likes JoeE., dcsipo, bucktruck, metlmunchr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You don't understand the effect of tariffs if you don't get how it will increase prices of USA made goods as well

10. Likes dcsipo, bucktruck liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    You don't understand the effect of tariffs if you don't get how it will increase prices of USA made goods as well
    I've got a feeling some don't realize that countries aren't companies and the leaders of countries don't like to appear weak. The repetition is getting a bit tedious but nobody wins. Some lose more than others.

At the moment (on paper) the USD $ is strong. Good for import, bad for export.

12. Likes dcsipo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lower worker pay, manufacturing methods, energy and other costs are the advantage one country should have over the other.
    The advantage should not be a country subsiding manufacturing with other countries monies, getting favored nation breaks on postage and other fees. Being allowed to snub or fee out products.
    Agree low price goods can be good for another country up to the point of not having work for your own people.
    I remember when it was said American base ball bats had to be cut in half for safety inspection before they could be placed in a Japanese store, needless to say people would buy the Japanese bats that were still in one piece.
    Sheahan’s are not good for fair business.

Actually, the USA is big enough that it could run well with not even trading with the rest of the world. No, I am not saying we should do that but to but- out of world problems sometime seems a good ideal.

*Agree smoke and mirrors/ fake news / bias opinion makes it hard to know what is true or right... but people need to have jobs. People with not having jobs seem more likely to cause problems.

Trading away the manufacturing advantage: China trade drives down U.S. wages and benefits and eliminates good jobs for U.S. workers | Economic Policy Institute

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    Lower worker pay, manufacturing methods, energy and other costs are the advantage one country should have over the other.
    The advantage should not be a country subsiding manufacturing with other countries monies, getting favored nation breaks on postage and other fees. Being allowed to snub or fee out products.
    Agree low price goods can be good for another country up to the point of not having work for your own people.
    I remember when it was said American base ball bats had to be cut in half for safety inspection before they could be place in a Japanese store, needless to say people would buy the Japanese bats that were still in one piece.
    All true. If there is any nation the US should have a beef with its Japan, their non tariff barriers to entry were (perhap still are, I haven't paid attention to it) legendary. I agree you should insist on a balanced trade environment with China, i.e. access to markets, IP, currency manipulation, UPU etc. Whats really really dangerous to your economy though, and seems very prevalent, is the average Joe confusing tariffs as a potentially good negotiation tool to use with bad trade partners (hardly the EU and CDN) with tariffs being good for your economy.

If you decided that a tariff should be place on widgets from China, its essentially declaring we're prepared to suffer to make you suffer until you come to the table. But make no mistake, the US economy will suffer as well and standards of living will go down. There is no economist or person educated in economics including the orange guys econ advisor who thinks tariffs are good for your economy or standard of living.

It does not matter if you can do everything yourself or be self sufficient. For those not getting it, a great analogy is the economy of the doctors office. The Dr. is better at practicing medicine than his secretary and might even be better at filing, but should he can her and do his own filing or spend the whole day practicing medicine?

Footnote; you don't need jobs, you have full employment. Want to raise things for the bottom? You need skills, not jobs. Secondly, linking to EPI is the same as linking to a labour brochure. Its about as biased a view as you'll find.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-12-2019 at 11:25 AM.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT:[If you decided that a tariff should be place on widgets from China, its essentially declaring we're prepared to suffer to make you suffer until you come to the table.]
    Could be that, or could be , We can do with out your stuff until you become more fair.

Agree it could back fire, or lead to a fair free trade.

Still we (the USA)could not go on to see half our workers with not having a job. Something had to be done.
    I remember when we thought to remove a Chrysler plant from Canada. A Canada big wig , perhaps the top guy called Chrysler and told us , if you remove that plant we will boycott Chrysler. This was all on the Qt and we did not remove that plant.
    Canada sticks up for jobs and workers ..good for Canada they should do that.

I was one of five guys who went to that plant to choose what we might need for a US plant and picked a nice B&S Micromaster (and other things)... yes then we did not close the plant but I did not return the grinder. Going over we got held up at the border for way over an hour. The border guys did like us coming to pick over a Canada plant and so gave us the raspberries (every dumb border rule they had to check out).

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree it could back fire, or lead to a fair free trade.
    "Fair free trade"?

That to me is the same as if you want a wife that's sexy, clever and a great cook then marry 3 women.

Interesting? Nope. 3 mother's in law.

18. Likes michiganbuck, dcsipo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    "Fair free trade"?

That to me is the same as if you want a wife that's sexy, clever and a great cook then marry 3 women.

Interesting? Nope. 3 mother's in law.
    Agree..Perhaps if the Martions came and laid down a common rule, or else.

Michigan does not beat up Ohio very much because we both are under the same rules.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    "Fair free trade"?

As I've always known the joke as, " the key to happiness is to find a woman who's beautiful, a woman who's great in bed and woman who's a great homemaker. And never let the three of them meet"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wow I guess I missed this..seems Hong Kong is having problems.

likely mainland China is not very happy also, with Hong Kong getting high benefits. People in Guangzhou working their buts off likely watching all this... or it may be blocked.

China wanted to be in big world trade but perhaps did not expect it to get out of control..

Perhaps Trump should back off or China may use that for a excuse to start a war .. just to get it's people back in order.

Access Denied

Lam Urges a Return to Order After Protests: Hong Kong Update

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wow I guess I missed this..seems Hong Kong is having problems.

likely mainland China is not very happy also, with Hong Kong getting high benefits. People in Guangzhou working their buts off likely watching all this... or it may be blocked.

China wanted to be in big world trade but perhaps did not expect it to get out of control..

Perhaps Trump should back off or China may use that for a excuse to start a war .. just to get it's people back in order.

Access Denied

Lam Urges a Return to Order After Protests: Hong Kong Update
    Huh? How many wars has China started the last century? Not participated in, started.

China isn't just many Chinese. It is in fact as mixed a bag as the USA is. Try keeping 1,400,000,000 people in line.

Chinese Ethnic Groups: Han People and 55 Ethnic Minorities

Removing Hussein and Gaddafi didn't bring peace to either Iraq of Libya.

23. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh good, looks like we will do the right thing... Someone in our Grubberment has come up with a plan so to solve the Hong Kong and Main Land China problems. We will give to anyone and everyone from China who felt threatened, oppressed, poverty stricken or just bored $2350 per month social security, free health care and job preference in the good old USA.
    The argument is that to give that to South America people it would be discriminating to not give the same to China.

Re: Discrimination is against the law in the USA.

Good chance only 1.305 million people would go for such an offer and with our kids out of the basement with having jobs now, we have a place for them.
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 06-12-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    A price increase of US made equipment, is a good......... very good thing. Have you seen how midwest manufacturers are responding to all of this?

With no Fed Rate Hike in sight, the US Manufacturing sector has finally been given the green light.

Full Speed Ahead..
    Last edited by otrlt; 06-12-2019 at 10:08 PM.

26. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A price increase of US made equipment, is a good......... very good thing. Have you seen how midwest manufacturers are responding to all of this?

With no Fed Rate Hike in sight, the US Manufacturing sector has finally been given the green light.

Full Speed Ahead..
    Help me out here. Americans buying American made products (and at a higher price) is going to help the US economy?

If China or India (each with 4 times the population) did the same, bought their own products, then what?

I'm guessing you neither own or run a shop or company. When I started 25 years ago 80% to 90% was domestic sales. Now the same percentage is non domestic.

28. Likes JoeE. liked this post