Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT: [So, what's the biggest squawk from the US in re China ?]
    Agree China can design and build world quality products as good as any other country.
    The problem is that they can support manufacturing with other monies and so beat the pants off other countries...Along with the UN giving even more advantage.
    Still trade with them is good, and we can use lower cost products no matter where they come from.

The limit is when our/any country reaches high unemployment. Not-working people are just too unpredictable and troublesome. I know one would think they should be content and just enjoy life but many don't know how to do that.
    Tariffs are one means of regulating unemployment.
    And turn around is fair so hidden or tariff practice by another name is still other than free trade.

Obama thought we (the USA) could survive as a services industry country..but people who are out of work do their own services so that plan did not work.

How much do various countries contribute to the UN Budget?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Not-working people are just too unpredictable and troublesome. I know one would think they should be content and just enjoy life but many don't know how to do that. "

Me too. I jist hate hanging around with people who can't afford food, or taking care of sick kids.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Could be working" reduces those numbers. jobs help the numbers.

More jobs help support people who can't work or afford food, or taking care of sick kids.

So many of the people who you see causing trouble look healthy as a horse.

Able body and mind people should have work/jobs.

IMHO.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But the US didn't have an unemployment problem when the orange moron decided to screw over the rest of the world. Changing from a manufacturing to a services dominated industry is part of growing up as a nation.

6. Likes Mcgyver liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So much of attribution takes the form of a ideological Rorschach Test...

9. Likes Mark Rand, Mcgyver liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    But the US didn't have an unemployment problem when the orange moron decided to screw over the rest of the world. Changing from a manufacturing to a services dominated industry is part of growing up as a nation.
    I often wonder how many in the USA need 2 jobs or more just to earn enough.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is such a meme. So Germany, with 20% of the workforce in manufacturing is not "grown up" as a nation?

In the 80's we were told the future was all about "information". We were in the information age now.
    In the 90's it was the "dot-com" era.
    In the 2000's we were told it was about financial services. That was the future now.

We all know how that worked out. Wealth is created when natural resources are converted into something useful. The logger who harvests the timber, the construction worker who builds the house- they create wealth. Not the banker who takes a cut for writing the mortgage.

All that funky paper that was generated on Wall Street in the 2000's- did that create wealth? No, it extracted what was already there, and put it in the pockets of bankers.

The US not Singapore. From my perspective as a manufacturer, services are overhead. Yes, I need the banker to clear the transaction, I need the accountant to figure my taxes. I need to order consumables. Maybe I need an attorney at some point. All of those things are services I pay for in support of my primary activity, and all of them get a piece of the wealth I create. If I am not creating wealth, I have no need for those services.

People are forced into service jobs when they are displaced from more productive work. Usually accompanied with a large reduction in income.

The idea that this is some kind of force of nature, or natural law? I don't buy it. Its a choice made by politicians.

I've read some of these "Free Trade Agreements". They are all the same. A page or two of flowery language about "breaking down barriers", followed by 2500 pages of tariff and quota schedules, carve outs for favored companies, and advantaging one sector at the expense of another.

12. Likes digger doug, michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Your not located in the rust belt.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Haiti is likely a service economy.
    People there would line up to do most anything for $5.00 for an hours pay.

You could make Haiti minimum per hour wage $5.00 or $35 and that would do little good.