Page 37 of 76 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is good that progress is happening between the US and China. It only makes sense that we continue to have good trade.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    There was no criticism of the USA in my post #691. It was a simple fact. It could also be argued that it was common sense to stay out of both for as long as possible.

If you are going to choose not to reply to posts (and I don't mean mine) then "It is a waste of my time to engage." isn't exactly the way to go about it and yet you do engage.

That's giving the impression you think member's opinions are both incorrect and beneath you.

Spinit you are no longer a "mere member". Act like a moderator and moderate. You can write just about anything you want and have any opinion you want - but in other sub fora.
    I am tired of that type of discussion. I have my uncle and father who went to war one in the pacific and the other in Europe. I do not like criticism of that generation. I find the America bashing annoying and typical from non Americans. Fourth of July is coming up and I do not wish to waste time discussing our sacrifice at this time. Besides tariffs is the topic of this thread not moderators and not WW2. Keep your moderation tips to yourself.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spinit,
    Do yourself a favour and use your Spinit login for moderating and create another login of another name that no-one knows where you can partake away to your hearts content without constantly being attacked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Edit. Changed post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    WW1 lasted from 1914 until 1918 and WW2 from 1939 until 1945.
    The USA was isolationist for several years with both.
    In our defense in 1939 we did not have much of a standing army.
    We were on the side of peace and a sort of live and let live.
    Arguably those small numbers and that view would embolden others.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Spinit,
    Do yourself a favour and use your Spinit login for moderating and create another login of another name that no-one knows where you can partake away to your hearts content without constantly being attacked.
    Cool idea. Thing is that nothing is right for everyone for sure.

7. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    ...Gordon's point is, the USA sat on its hands and took no part in the fighting for some quite considerable time. We were in both wars for years before you entered it.
    I'm not saying it was your intention, but this comes off as pretty condescending, as if the US was indifferent to what was happening in Europe.

Yes, there was not much public enthusiasm for getting involved in another European War. But we were providing significant war materials to Britain beginning in the fall of 1940- over the objections of our own generals and in violation of US law that prevented the gov't from lending to countries who had not paid their bill from the last war. FDR wanted to be more involved earlier, but he had to balance several conflicting interests domestically.

Australia entered WW2 as a Commonwealth country when the UK declared war on Nazi Germany. Same for Canada, South Africa, India, etc. The UK declared war for you. There wasn't a lot of public enthusiasm for the war in those countries either, but there was an obligation to defend Britain.

The US wasn't part of the British Empire- we didn't have a Constitutional obligation to defend Britain.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    I am tired of that type of discussion. I have my uncle and father who went to war one in the pacific and the other in Europe. I do not like criticism of that generation.
    The thing is, Spinit, you can't live forever off what your grandparents did.

Plus, Al Capone sponsoring one girls' softball team doesn't make him a good guy.

edit: for us old farts it's our parents. But for most people these days, it's their grandparents. It's been eighty years. Time moves on

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am tired of that type of discussion. I have my uncle and father who went to war one in the pacific and the other in Europe. I do not like criticism of that generation. I find the America bashing annoying and typical from non Americans. Fourth of July is coming up and I do not wish to waste time discussing our sacrifice at this time. Besides tariffs is the topic of this thread not moderators and not WW2. Keep your moderation tips to yourself.
    Jeez. It wasn't a discussion and it wasn't "America bashing". My father and mother and uncles and aunts were all involved in WW2 and from the very beginning. My father fought in both Europe and Asia. Most of my uncles in North Africa and then Europe. 3 of my uncles each had their tank at El Alamein. YouTube

Be a moderator and "tips" won't be necessary. Think about the title of this sub forum.

manufacturing-in-America-and-Europe

Of course that's going to generate a large number of non Americans. Get used to it. They're not out to "bash" the USA. They just see many things differently than you and a handful of others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What it means is really none of your concern.
    As a member of this forum (for longer than you, I might add) it is my concern. When you, as a freshly minted "moderator," ban people who you disagree with, refuse to let the adults in the room have spirited, intelligent conversation (using actual sentences), and demonstrate an obvious bias toward one side of the political spectrum, then yes, I do take notice when you post nonsensical drivel.

And when it comes to "America bashing," you are clearly incapable of distinguishing between constructive criticism and outright hatred of the country you call home.

I particularly like barbter's idea of you creating a separate handle to use as moderator.

And to keep things on topic, Trump's (YES, Trump's) tariffs are completely unnecessary and have had a detrimental impact on our business, which manufactures goods right here in the USA. Feel free to use your banhammer if it is the only way you know how to respond to my post.

12. Likes Gordon B. Clarke, gustafson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is good that progress is happening between the US and China. It only makes sense that we continue to have good trade.
    The only 'progress' is the undoing of trumps stupidity

one does not get credit for fixing the problem one started

I seriously doubt anything will change WRT actual issues in trade with China

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    As a member of this forum (for longer than you, I might add) it is my concern. When you, as a freshly minted "moderator," ban people who you disagree with, refuse to let the adults in the room have spirited, intelligent conversation (using actual sentences), and demonstrate an obvious bias toward one side of the political spectrum, then yes, I do take notice when you post nonsensical drivel.

And when it comes to "America bashing," you are clearly incapable of distinguishing between constructive criticism and outright hatred of the country you call home.

I particularly like barbter's idea of you creating a separate handle to use as moderator.

And to keep things on topic, Trump's (YES, Trump's) tariffs are completely unnecessary and have had a detrimental impact on our business, which manufactures goods right here in the USA. Feel free to use your banhammer if it is the only way you know how to respond to my post.
    I suggest you participate and spend your time doing that instead of complaining about moderating.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suggest you spend your time moderating.
    There's also that option. What you're doing too much is squabbling with all those you don't agree with.

There would be no threads or posts if we all agreed with each other. For better or worse this is the sub forum that most non American members post in. If you as an American don't always like what we (non Americans) think or post then remember that works both ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suggest you participate and spend your time doing that instead of complaining about moderating.
    Seems to me I shared (in a thread that you have since deleted) the effects of Trump's tariffs on our business months ago. Long story short: Our material costs have gone up. And FWIW, we only buy MUSA, so the tariffs are doing a great job of screwing over just those the POTUS is supposedly trying to help.

17. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I care little about the criticism of the US in connection to WW 2. It is a waste of my time to engage.
    Your reading comprehension skills haven't improved.

What I stated was an historic fact.

If you take it as a criticism that's a reflection of your mental state not what I wrote.

You don't actually want to read/hear anything other than what fits your preconceptions. That's why I have no respect for you at all. Before you were a moderator you could never win a discussion. You still can't but now you can delete the posts that show up your lack of knowledge.

I fully expect this one to go the same way.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    Your reading comprehension skills haven't improved.

What I stated was an historic fact.

If you take it as a criticism that's a reflection of your mental state not what I wrote.

You don't actually want to read/hear anything other than what fits your preconceptions. That's why I have no respect for you at all. Before you were a moderator you could never win a discussion. You still can't but now you can delete the posts that show up your lack of knowledge.

I fully expect this one to go the same way.

PDW
    And neither do you. After Pearl Harbor we did not sit on our hands we went to war.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I'm not saying it was your intention, but this comes off as pretty condescending, as if the US was indifferent to what was happening in Europe.

Yes, there was not much public enthusiasm for getting involved in another European War. But we were providing significant war materials to Britain beginning in the fall of 1940- over the objections of our own generals and in violation of US law that prevented the gov't from lending to countries who had not paid their bill from the last war. FDR wanted to be more involved earlier, but he had to balance several conflicting interests domestically.

Australia entered WW2 as a Commonwealth country when the UK declared war on Nazi Germany. Same for Canada, South Africa, India, etc. The UK declared war for you. There wasn't a lot of public enthusiasm for the war in those countries either, but there was an obligation to defend Britain.

The US wasn't part of the British Empire- we didn't have a Constitutional obligation to defend Britain.
    Agreed 100%. You had no treaty obligation to get into those wars any earlier.

Not my point though. Far too many people in the USA - like spinit - think the wars started when the USA joined in. In both WW1 and WW2 the wars had been going on for *years* and in the case of WW1, you only entered it a bit over a year before it ended.

According to the First World War page on the Australian War Memorial website from a population of fewer than five million, 416,809 men enlisted, of which over 60,000 were killed and 156,000 wounded, gassed, or taken prisoner. The latest figure for those killed is given as 62,000.

American losses in World War I were modest compared to those of other belligerents, with 116,516 deaths and approximately 320,000 sick and wounded of the 4.7 million men who served. The USA lost more personnel to disease (63,114) than to combat (53,402), largely due to the influenza epidemic of 1918.

You lost 53,000 out of a population of 103,000,000 to combat.

We lost 62,000 out of a population of less than 5,000,000.

Do the math.

All I want from spinit is to acknowledge the historic facts or, failing that, to STFU about it.

PDW

21. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And neither do you. After Pearl Harbor we did not sit on our hands we went to war.
    Precisely my point.

WW2 started in September 1939. The USA entered it in late 1941.

You really do need to read some history.

PDW

23. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Neither conflict was a "World War" until the USA got dragged in. Regional conflicts until then.

I never did hear much about South American actions during those times. Shhhhh......

25. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interestingly the protectionism of Smoot-Halley helped cripple the global economy and led to the rise in nationalism...that let a lunatic blame all of Germany’s problems on outside forces...and of course the “rich Jewish bankers”.

WWII.