Page 69 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1700
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Interesting take on the tariff situation. China is not in a good position this article says because their economy does not allow them to respond to American tariffs. The US economy is strong and unemployment is low while income is increasing. Citizens have not seen the increases which were projected in washers, dryers, and autos. The difference in the higher costs have been absorbed or the currency changes China implemented has minimized the increase in costs.

Article;
    Wall Street needs to chill out about Trump'''s tariffs
    Looking at the article then it is basically the same as here in PM. Some agree and some disagree. OK in this case one man disagrees. He might be right, maybe not.

Re "low unemployment". What are the new jobs that are emerging as I'm assuming some must be working that weren't before all this started?

What I'm also wondering is whether the income is really increasing for the majority of ordinary citizens or are the statistics bolstered by the few that are really profiting?

Early days yet I suppose as it takes time before the pros and cons become facts.

Tip
    Put a quote in so all know what or who you are replying to

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    Looking at the article then it is basically the same as here in PM. Some agree and some disagree. OK in this case one man disagrees. He might be right, maybe not.

Re "low unemployment". What are the new jobs that are emerging as I'm assuming some must be working that weren't before all this started?

What I'm also wondering is whether the income is really increasing for the majority of ordinary citizens or are the statistics bolstered by the few that are really profiting?

Early days yet I suppose as it takes time before the pros and cons become facts.

Tip
    By all measures, the unemployment numbers are VERY low.

The pay rates are increasing in real numbers, not imaginary, "adjusted" ones.

Every shop owner, manager, foreman, personnel manger that I know will tell you that they can't find enough folks, who will show up, to fill positions of even low/moderate skill levels.

Just curious though, when do "pros and cons" become facts? I thought that pros and cons were statements of opinion.

But that's just me.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tip
    Nothing new as far as I know. The pizza place needs 10 to 15 employees because there are none that want to work for ten dollars a hour. Before they had no problem filling the jobs for 8 dollars a hour.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lots of interesting behavior in the volatile social and political scene here. Constant gaffs,tweets, and the horrible shootings.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderjet View Post
    Just curious though, when do "pros and cons" become facts? I thought that pros and cons were statements of opinion.

But that's just me.
    Not really "you" atall. It's a gordonworld thing. Persistent lego-troll had an astronomical post count (BFD, never got me no air miles...)

Or he usta have... up until Judge Roy Bean rolled in with a ration of justice and deleted a modest percentage of the drivel.

Inane to-do about nothing is the attempt to run the count back up. Bad news for 'im is Judge Roy Bean is kinda persistent, comes to justice, may strike again at any time!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Lots of interesting behavior in the volatile social and political scene here. Constant gaffs,tweets, and the horrible shootings.
    You'll have noticed that the "mainstream media" no longer make the least distinction in placement or stridency, whether covering a lost dog, 115th Birthday, mass murder, Obama maybe framing Trump, but only if the butlers and kitchen staff hadn't beat him to it, or the latest Smother's Brothers knock-off of B-toe Okrook proving hiself stupider today than he was yesterday?

Didn't think you had bothered, either.

That's just hearsay off what the grownups are arguing over to prove they ain't really grown-up at all, so they gets to keep living off child-support until the old-age version of Social Security kicks in.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By all measures, the unemployment numbers are VERY low.

The pay rates are increasing in real numbers, not imaginary, "adjusted" ones.

Every shop owner, manager, foreman, personnel manger that I know will tell you that they can't find enough folks, who will show up, to fill positions of even low/moderate skill levels.

But that's just me.
    I'm not getting any answers to my questions.

If the unemployment numbers are "VERY low" what are these new jobs?

In what industries are wages increasing?

I'd imagine those shop owners you know could find people if "the people" felt the wage was right. Who's going to take a low wage job if they can get one, or have one, that isn't?

Pros and cons become facts when they are facts and not just predictions. Who and what will the current tarif war benefit? It'll be a few years before we really know.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The major US attack front seems to be against China but who in fact is losing most? China retaliates and I think they hurt the USA more than the USA hurts them. New trade partners, deals and alliances are being built up and I can't see any working in the US favour.
    I think it's pretty hard to argue that it's hurting the US more. China was selling about 4x to the US what the US was selling to China. Some companies were leaving to go to SE Asia, etc., but now that process has been sped up a lot. China scrambles to stem manufacturing exodus as 50 companies leave -
    Nikkei Asian Review

China does not allow the media to put out tons of bad economic news. They outright tell journalists not to and censor it. The NYT wrote a whole article on this and included a govt directive that was sent out to journalists specifically stating not to talk about it.

The reason you don't hear about it from American media and instead see it in Nikkei or others is because there is a massive bias against Trump - he is not allowed to be right. I'm far from a diehard fan; facts are just facts. He could say water is good and his supporters would drown themselves while the others would die of dehydration trying to make a point.

And "new partners, deals, and alliances" - this does not mean you are in a better position, necessarily. Not to mention that Germany, for example, has started to put the brakes on them wrt buying up their companies as well as other things. And then you have the debacle with Canada and China, etc. They are not coming out of this nearly as golden as the lack of coverage would have people believe.
    If extra cash to the US coffers was the plan then it was ingenious, if not then as good as all Americans are paying an extra tax and many don't even seem to realize it.
    There was barely any to no tax. People need to stop using this, because it's just flat-out wrong. The "tax" came down for steel/aluminum since all countries except a select few were tariffed, and it came for solar panels/washers, but these weren't the China tariffs. Thousands of items tariffed and no inflation. In fact, inflation not only didn't go up over the period these tariffs were instated, it went down. So those saying it is a tax need to explain where this tax is. I don't see it. Nobody else is seeing it. The only place I see it is coming out of your mouth. The reality is that companies are sourcing elsewhere, they are also gaming the tariffs by transshipment or shifting rules of origin around a bit by making minor changes in another country, and some people, notably Chinese factories, are eating some if not most or all of that cost. The tax line is not relevant here. At best - yet.

When a country imposes tarifs it should be to protect what is a very important or crucial product they themselves make. It is also usually short term (years and not months) until alternatives come around.
    EU imposes over 6% average tariff on textiles, over 11% on clothing. Tons of tariffs and quotas on agriculture much higher than that. Large state-owned enterprise sector. And a ton of people think the euro is undervalued 20% or so vs the dollar. If so, that is the same as a blanket 20% tariff on all imports. End of day, it hasn't been a short-term thing for the EU.

Almost all industrial countries around the world have seen what were once their major industries go elsewhere. In as good as all those countries alternative industries have been found.

Most western countries I can think of are doing OK as far as exports go. Why?
    That's not necessarily true, because it doesn't take into account the components. You could have a product 100% manufactured overseas that's only assembled in the US then get exported. It would show up as a figure looking like we made all that, but in reality, we did not. The auto industry is a good example, more than half of the models sold in the US are now less than 50% made in the US and Canada (not even just measuring the US, which of course would be even lower), by some estimates.
    Japan protected its markets with tariffs/quotas and subsidized Toyota for over a decade. They "taxed" their consumers until it got off the ground and could compete globally. Only then did they take off all the protections. China did the same thing with its industrialization. High tariffs, high non-tariff barriers, high subsidies and large industrial policy. Both those countries have come out very well. Whole book on this by a guy named Ha-Joon Chang called "Bad Samaritans". Another book called "Making It: Why Manufacturing Still Matters" talks about the subsidies/protection overseas and lack of subsidies/protection domestically.
    Last edited by nyc123; 08-11-2019 at 03:21 PM.

9. Likes daredo222 liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Not really "you" atall. It's a gordonworld thing. Persistent lego-troll had an astronomical post count (BFD, never got me no air miles...)

Or he usta have... up until Judge Roy Bean rolled in with a ration of justice and deleted a modest percentage of the drivel.

Inane to-do about nothing is the attempt to run the count back up. Bad news for 'im is Judge Roy Bean is kinda persistent, comes to justice, may strike again at any time!

That from a guy that far too often writes non helpful nonsense and has over 25,000 posts LMAO.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not getting any answers to my questions.

If the unemployment numbers are "VERY low" what are these new jobs?

In what industries are wages increasing?

I'd imagine those shop owners you know could find people if "the people" felt the wage was right. Who's going to take a low wage job if they can get one, or have one, that isn't?

Pros and cons become facts when they are facts and not just predictions. Who and what will the current tarif war benefit? It'll be a few years before we really know.
    That from a guy that far too often writes non helpful nonsense and has over 25,000 posts LMAO.
    From what I've seen, he only trolls the trolls. You, on the otherhand troll the normal folk, and drive them away from this subsection of the forum in droves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too was interested in what and where are these "jobs" that are being created. I found that one of the top places listed in the graphs where these jobs are booming was in the far north DFW metroplex corridor, Frisco, TX. as an example. Amost all were in the service sector...that is fast food and restaurant jobs. Not exactly high wage, nor long term employment. I was also interested where all of this supposed wage growth is, as I am not seeing it, nor anyone I know.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by daryl bane View Post
    I too was interested in what and where are these "jobs" that are being created. I found that one of the top places listed in the graphs where these jobs are booming was in the far north DFW metroplex corridor, Frisco, TX. as an example. Amost all were in the service sector...that is fast food and restaurant jobs. Not exactly high wage, nor long term employment. I was also interested where all of this supposed wage growth is, as I am not seeing it, nor anyone I know.
    From what I've seen in the local media, it's pretty much across the board.

The big ones locally are R.N.s, Teachers, engineering (chemical being the top of the list) but also civil, and mechanical. Service techs for cable, and cell industries are also in high demand. Also there is a high demand for nursing home/memory care workers. This sector is in very high demand around here and they pay amazingly well for nothing but a drug test and a backround check.

But there's also data entry, construction, yard care, plumbers,(there is a company that's running adds to generate plumbing apprentices)
    The list goes on.

If you think the job market isn't red hot right now, you're living under a rock.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you think the job market isn't red hot right now, you're living under a rock.
    Nah. Living under "TDS shadow".

Media gives it away for free, just like Medicare, tuition, and anything else you ain't yet heard of to ask for.

No need to even listen to the lies, let alone believe.

Just tune in and doze-off so they can out-Neilsen-point those bastards over at Fox news.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New higher Tariffs from trade talks

America has one of the hottest job markets in decades, with companies large and small having difficulty staffing employees.

Itís a sad comment on the direction we are heading in this country, but a big reason so many jobs are going un-filled is the social welfare system our government has enlarged so dramatically in recent years.

There are millions upon millions of 18-65 year old, healthy adults who donít work because they basically donít have to.

All they do is game the system, draw a check, food stamps, rental assistance, child-care assistance, Medicaid, Obamaphones...itís a long list.

And most of these deadbeats donít just milk the government dry, they do a good job of milking mommy and daddy, papaw and mamaw, and the partner that actually does work. And, a percentage of them make side cash by selling dope, stealing, gambling, etc. Itís just pathetic, but these people donít care.

Gordon and the world have no idea how lazy and dependent a huge chunk of working-age America has become! It prevents lots of common-sense initiatives (like universal health care) from ever being afforded by our country.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what I've seen, he only trolls the trolls. You, on the otherhand troll the normal folk, and drive them away from this subsection of the forum in droves.
    So why are you here commenting? Not normal?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    America has one of the hottest job markets in decades, with companies large and small having difficulty staffing employees.

It’s a sad comment on the direction we are heading in this country, but a big reason so many jobs are going un-filled is the social welfare system our government has enlarged so dramatically in recent years.

There are millions upon millions of 18-65 year old, healthy adults who don’t work because they basically don’t have to.

All they do is game the system, draw a check, food stamps, rental assistance, child-care assistance, Medicaid, Obamaphones...it’s a long list.

And most of these deadbeats don’t just milk the government dry, they do a good job of milking mommy and daddy, papaw and mamaw, and the partner that actually does work. And, a percentage of them make side cash by selling dope, stealing, gambling, etc. It’s just pathetic, but these people don’t care.

Gordon and the world have no idea how lazy and dependent a huge chunk of working-age America has become! It prevents lots of common-sense initiatives (like universal health care) from ever being afforded by our country.
    Help me understand. Unemployment is way down and yet "There are millions upon millions of 18-65 year old, healthy adults who don’t work because they basically don’t have to.".

If "the system" is as easy to milk as you suggest then why doesn't it get changed? Are "unemployment" benefits so high that there is more money in not working than in working?

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Help me understand. Unemployment is way down and yet "There are millions upon millions of 18-65 year old, healthy adults who donít work because they basically donít have to.".

If "the system" is as easy to milk as you suggest then why doesn't it get changed? Are "unemployment" benefits so high that there is more money in not working than in working?
    Here you go...Gooooooooogle is your friend
    21.3% of US Participates in Government Assistance Programs Each Month

I once read that the benefit system is all part of "the plan". Gov pays you per month, so has direct access to your bank details so can "look" as and when they want and need to.
    If they give you an Obama phone, they can track you too....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    The DNC has a SUPERB idea as to how many votes that lot will assuredly bestow on them, no matter whom they run.

Romney was slaughtered for saying voters went Democrat because they wanted "stuff".
    Might actually have been the most accurate statement he ever made, the way their "OPM" looter mentality works. DNC surely can no longer be bothered to try and hide it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Here you go...Gooooooooogle is your friend
    21.3% of US Participates in Government Assistance Programs Each Month
    . . ..
    The 21% initially seems a high number. Maybe not quite so high when it's 21% that at some point in their lives received benefits (most health care, food assistance) and often for a short period time. Kids and those struck with illnesses are most likely to get a helping hand. And more than half that number would go away (Medicaid) if we had health care for all our citizens.

There are certainly people ripping off our aid programs -- and that needs fixing. Be good to get that number down - make sure people get a good start in life and an education -- and pay their own way. But put in contrast the trillions going to "aid" the likes of too-big-to-fail banks, insurance companies, real estate moguls, pharma execs, defense companies, farmers paid not to farm, etc.. Seems lots of stuff needs fixing?

21. Likes barbter, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So why are you here commenting? Not normal?
    Simply trolling the troll.

It ain't rocket surgery.

Hey, where's Mrs Clarke in all of this?

23. Likes converterking, camscan liked this post