What's new
What's new

New Steel Plants in the USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big B

Diamond
I watched trumps speech about the national emergency and he talked about all the new steel plants that are being built in the USA. I googled it and can't find a thing about any new steel plants being built in the USA.

Can anybody tell me where they are? I'm very interested in following the progress.

We are getting a new aluminum recycling plant in my neck of the woods! I’m happy to see this kind of investment.

Wisconsin Rapids: Matalco to build aluminum factory with 80 jobs

I looked at the article and it says that it isn't quite a done deal yet. I truly hope that they build it but it isn't a done deal. Also, trump talked about new steel plants in his speech, not aluminum recycling plants.

I'd like to know specifically about new steel plants that are being built in the USA like trump said. And not about someone is talking about building new plants but that they are actually building them right now.

I very much doubt anyone is planning on new from-ore steel plants here in the USA. Nucor remelt, maybe, but not from-ore. There is very little business sense to that right now, even with the tariffs artificially and almost certainly temporarily raising steel prices.

Regards.

Mike

I very much doubt anyone is planning on new from-ore steel plants here in the USA. Nucor remelt, maybe, but not from-ore. There is very little business sense to that right now, even with the tariffs artificially and almost certainly temporarily raising steel prices.

Regards.

Mike

I'm interested in any type of NEW STEEL PLANTS. The ones that trump talked about in his National Emergency speech.

I'm interested in any type of NEW STEEL PLANTS. The ones that trump talked about in his National Emergency speech.

Ask the Google. I couldn't find any actual new steel plant announcements. I should think if there were any, it would have made headlines somewhere.

Regards.

Mike

There are several restarts or re-openings such as Granite City.

USS in Gary is getting a $750M capital investment.

NuCor does have several expansion projects which are actually full new remelt lines.

The steel mills are spending money at a rate we have not seen for several decades.

So, no there are no actual new steel mills however the steel companies are actually investing in equipment that is going to make them more competitive and increase production.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is that building a new steel mill at a new site is much more difficult to get approved than expanding capacity at existing locations.

There are several restarts or re-openings such as Granite City.

USS in Gary is getting a $750M capital investment.

NuCor does have several expansion projects which are actually full new remelt lines.

The steel mills are spending money at a rate we have not seen for several decades.

So, no there are no actual new steel mills however the steel companies are actually investing in equipment that is going to make them more competitive and increase production.

One thing that you need to keep in mind is that building a new steel mill at a new site is much more difficult to get approved than expanding capacity at existing locations.

Good to hear that the steel companies are investing in their existing mills but trump specifically said new steel mills. edit: he didn't actually say "new" steel mills. He said they are building steel mills all over the United States. I took it to mean New steel mills because if you are renovating a steel mill it isn't building them.

Also, I did google it and couldn't find anything about it. There was an article from fox news from last summer about his claim of new steel mills and even fox news called it a lie.

Maybe this is just another trump lie. I figured that if there was a place to ask this question that the "Largest Manufacturing Technology Community on the Web" was the place to ask.

Here's the video. Look at the video at about 30:40 to hear the steel comments. YouTube

"our steel industry is so vibrant now again, they're building plants all over the United States".

U.S. Steel credits Trump in resuming work at Alabama plant …

right from Google search

maybe spelling was off

Big River Steel is considering a relatively small new mill in Brownsville. Not definite, and at $1.6 Billion, its not a huge plant. Not a primary ingot mill- a plate mill.
Steel dreams: Port awaits decision on mill location - Valley Morning Star : Local News

Nucor, which has been consistently building new mills and adding on to existing ones since the late 1960s, has a new mill planned for somewhere in the midwest. Again, a plate mill.
Smaller than the Big River mill, at approx 400 employees.
Nucor to Build State-of-the-Art Plate Mill

Cliffs is in the process of getting a HBI mill going in Cleveland. HBI- Hot Briquetted Iron- is a technology for making iron ore into feedstock for EAF (Electric Arc Furnace) Steel mills- EAF is what somebody was calling "remelt"- but you can put a lot of different things into an EAF mill, including scrap, but also including iron ore, assuming its in the right form.

Nobody has built a new mill that makes steel from taconite in a long time in the USA, and, most likely as EAF continuous casting mills continue to get better, nobody will.
Especially as Cliffs gets more capacity going for HBI. Cleveland-Cliffs Inc. - About Us - Operations

But, no, Trump is not telling the truth.

All the current construction of new mills and the ongoing rebuilding of existing mills is nothing new- its been going on for decades, steadily. The USA, today, makes as much steel (actually a bit more) than we did at the peak of WW2. We make 80 to 100 million tons a year, depending on demand. Its cheaper to make it here, as opposed to shipping it here.

U.S. Steel credits Trump in resuming work at Alabama plant …

right from Google search

maybe spelling was off

I'm not talking about resuming production. I'm talking about building plants. Like trump said was happening "all over the United States".

Nucor is supposed to open a new mill. The reopening and refitting with better equipment might be happening.

Nucor Will Build New Steel Plate Mill in the Midwest, Doesn'''t Know Which State Yet | 2019-01-14 | Engineering News-Record

That's the same one that Ries posted about. The first sentence of the article says: "Steelmaker Nucor WANTS to construct a $1.35-billion steel plate mill somewhere in the Midwest".

trump didn't say that the companies want to or plan to build plants in the United States. He said "they're building plants all over the United States".

I can say that I want to own a fleet of private jets but it doesn't mean it's going to happen.

The point you are trying to make is he was lying.
That’s nothing new.
It’s for his base and a matter of pathology.

I'm kind of hoping that his base that posts here can tell us how it wasn't really a lie, but a misunderstanding or something like that. Where's Thermite when you need him?

I did a google search for (steel plant Durand Mi)and found some info . Don’t know what kind of plant or if it is finalized but it does say new plant .

"our steel industry is so vibrant now again, they're building plants all over the United States".

you can have all the new plants you want in any sector....if you're willing to lower your standard of living enough. :) Careful what you wish for.

imo big moves by steel have so many zero's, they have to be very sure before doing anything. In in world which pretty much everyone understands the advantages of open trade, it might a challenge for them to go ahead on the strength of a tariff if the fundamentals don't support it....if they fundamentals do, they'd go ahead anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back