What's new
What's new

North American Foundry for Small job?

mhajicek

Diamond
Can anyone recommend a North American foundry that would be good for a small cast steel job? Parts would be about a pound each, around 6" on the longest axis, and about a dozen of them. They don't have to be super accurate, but I'd like decent surface finish and good quality steel without breaking the bank.

Thanks!

I have no experience with any of these companies.

Some folks in the South use Windy Hill for small runs and one-offs.

Crucible Tool uses a local foundry in Cincinnati and gets good results. Have to contact them to find out who the foundry is.

Fireball Tool reportedly uses a local foundry and they are located in Spokane, WA. Unconfirmed though and you’d have to contact Jason with Fireball.

Here in the Pacific Northwest we've used Travis Pattern, formerly New Castings, out of Spokane for years. Most of the parts we get done by them range from the size of a coffee coaster on up to the size of a canteloupe and are usually done in relatively small runs. Our castings are usually made from cast iron, a few of them are alloy; typically rollers, sprockets, or implement points / knives.

https://www.travispattern.com/

Another one is Cattail Foundry in SE PA. Its Amish run so communication may be a bit harder. I was thinking that Richard King was using a foundry local to Minnesota for his King-Way straight edges?

Some good suggestions here. I have used 6 or 7 foundries over the years for various small projects. It depends on exactly what you want to do. They all have their specialties and if what you are needing doesn't fit don't try to force it. As one example I've used Cattail a number of times for sand cast iron and aluminum. They don't do investment and they don't do steel. There are actually lots of foundries around. More than you might think. They don't advertise on billboards or late night TV. You have to seek them out and find the one that is right for you. Can take a long time unfortunately.

Ductile cast iron is often used instead of steel. i believe its cheaper in price usually
Ductile cast iron is tough and strong but can be harder to machine
when breaking up <0.8" thick scrap with 8lb sledge hammer on dirt or sand. if regular grey cast iron it breaks, if ductile iron or steel the sledge hammer will bounce and got to worry about getting hit with the bouncing sledge hammer
it is usually much tougher and stronger than regular grey cast iron

I used to run some products made of Gray iron by a foundry right in the urban sprawl of greater Los Angeles. At the time, they were coal fired- not sure if they still are. And they somehow managed to satisfy the southern california air management folks, who are pretty tough.
Covert Iron Works - Home

to misquote Mark Twain, the death of the american foundry industry has been highly exaggerated.

There was a fellow in mid lower Michigan who was a PM member and showed some of his steel casing parts line here..
Included were some mill hold downs and the like...I lost his location and information. I would like to know if anybody still has his information.

+2 on Branchfield Casting that Illinoyance linked to in post #5.
I used to have them pour my ductile iron for a product I made. Nothing but good to say about all aspects of their work and quality.

As we all know, it's getting harder to find such founderies in this here United States that don't just run either a closed shop or simply won't entertain small orders. Not everyone can justify an aluminum match plate pattern for small runs, etc. Good to know there are people still skilled to ram up a mold.

Back