Open source ventilator? Time for us to make it happen. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

IMO open source etc etc etc whatever ya wanna call it ventilators were never going to happen.

Because the ''Big Boys'' had that deal sewn up before it even went public, ………...with the any gov't spending that much £ $ they weren't gonna let any small fry near the job.

2. Likes macds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Youre not not wrong with that comment, at all.

And cost isnt our primary concern with the manufacturers.
    It comes down to production capacity,

Id love to help one of the big boys out, but thats a pipe dream for most of us here on PM.
    Hopefully I dont have to step in and help build these things.... but its best to be prepared.

I apologize for being vacant from this thread, but its been long days keeping up with current customers and trying to help out with this where I can.
    The website needs work, but discord has all the info.

Community – 1M Ventilators

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Radar987 View Post
    Pretty much this.

Honestly if people want to help out, find all the assholes who hoarded masks and gloves and have them donate all that stuff to a local hospital.

If you see someone wearing a mask on the street, kindly let them know. Not all, but some will actually do it.
    China
    China bulk-bought medical supplies abroad before coronavirus crisis hit | News | The Times

As the coronavirus took hold in Wuhan in February, staff of a Chinese government-backed global property giant were ordered to buy up vast quantities of western medicines and medical equipment to send to China.

Sources within the company told the Sydney Morning Herald that it was an international endeavour by the Greenland Group to scour the world for bulk supplies of surgical masks, thermometers, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitisers, gloves and paracetamol for China’s health system.

According to a company newsletter, the Greenland Group’s overseas offices brought up three million protective masks, 700,000 hazmat suits and 500,000 pairs of protective gloves from “Australia, Canada, Turkey and other countries”

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This would be about the same time the orange one was calling out 'fake news',and 'A hoax'

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    About five years ago I got pneumonia ....didnt know I had it ,neither did the incompetent Russian doctor I went to (We bulk bill)....he kept saying I had astma ,and prescribing Astra Zeneca Pharmaceuticals products ....which wernt on the free list ,and cost over $100 for a puffer alone....I was getting worse ,he still says astma ,ya need stronger meds ......anyhoo ,I suddenly ran out of breath at work ,and collapsed ,strength at zero ....,I rang 000 and took breaths of oxygen from my cutting torch ,kept me going for the 20 minutes the ambulance took.....Soon as I hit the emergency room ,doc diagnosed pneumonia ,shot of antibiotic ,5 more tablets of "picomycin"?,and within days I was 100%.....Now ,five days later the Russian doc rings me on a Sunday ,must come to surgery immediately!....Youve got pneumonia!...Ya dont say!.....So the oxy torch ,with shots of oxy ,kept me alive.,IMHO.
    Russian "Doctor" in the local ER one night, my parents involved in T-bone auto accident.

MRI x-ray's etc.

Sent dad home in pain with nothing....lucky mom had some strong stuff from a script for her pain.

I raised hell the next day, back in he went..."broken Pelvis"

8. Likes Pathogen, Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Typical NYT or Washington Post. I don't know why this was worthy of an entire article. If you just gloss over the headline, you'd think it had something to do with the complexity and difficulty of making ventilators. In reality, I wasted 5 minutes of my life to find out that the company in the article simply lost interest because they got bought by another company, and the govt contract was supposed to be below cost for them.

Not crapping on you, just really tired of this lousy "reporting" from these media outlets. I saw one just the other day with one of these stupid two-sentence, clickbait headlines....like "there was a blah blah to do blah blah..... Then it failed." "X guy said y. But then z happened". It was trying to give off the idea that making ventilators was a super hard thing for companies to do. End of day, if the US wants to do it, it can be done. Whether the FDA grants approvals, whether they will pay what is necessary - totally different.

10. Likes Laurentian liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by nyc123 View Post
    Typical NYT or Washington Post. I don't know why this was worthy of an entire article. If you just gloss over the headline, you'd think it had something to do with the complexity and difficulty of making ventilators.
    The headline said The Mission Failed.

The article explained in excellent detail why it failed. And it is important to know why an effort to produce 70,000 ventilators to defend against a pandemic failed, right? Sometimes there is more to life than glossing over headlines.

Just because the effort did not fail for the reason you assumed .. well, that's on you. Ventilators are not rocket science. It is proven tech.

The article was jam packed with important facts. Facts matter, right?
    The Dept of health and human services "estimated that an additional 70,000 machines would be required in a moderate influenza pandemic." See, experts KNOW we need a shitload of ventilators during a pandemic. It is something that can be planned for. I know some people want to push the narrative that this could never be predicted or planned for....

The new company made good progress toward a $3000 ventillator.. Their progress was too good. Because one of their large competitors bought them for $100M and shit-canned the project to avoid the competition against their $10K ventilators. Often it is much easier to buy a threat than to compete.

The company had received $6.1 million upfront.

So, actually, I'd say it is a great article, full of FACTS.

"The stalled efforts to create a new class of cheap, easy-to-use ventilators highlight the perils of outsourcing projects with critical public-health implications to private companies; their focus on maximizing profits is not always consistent with the government’s goal of preparing for a future crisis."

"That failure delayed the development of an affordable ventilator by at least half a decade, depriving hospitals, states and the federal government of the ability to stock up. The federal government started over with another company in 2014, whose ventilator was approved only last year and whose products have not yet been delivered."

"The project — code-named Aura — came in the wake of a parade of near-miss pandemics: SARS, MERS, bird flu and swine flu."

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    The headline said The Mission Failed.
    Yeah...I saw that.

The article explained in excellent detail why it failed. And it is important to know why an effort to produce 70,000 ventilators to defend against a pandemic failed, right?
    No. Not when it's simply because the company decided not to do it. It wasn't because it was technically difficult. It had nothing to do with logistical failure or supply chains or anything. It's pretty simple: a small company was awarded the contract, they said they would do it below cost. Said company was then bought by another company, and, what a surprise, the new management said this contract wasn't worth it. This groundbreaking article so full of information can be summed up in two sentences and is hardly surprising.

Is that really newsworthy to you? It isn't to me.

Just because the effort did not fail for the reason you assumed .. well, that's on you. Ventilators are not rocket science. It is proven tech.
    More like they are making people assume that, which is my point. Thank you for agreeing that it isn't rocket science.
    Automakers are racing to make ventilators. But it's not that easy - CNN

I keep seeing this kind of thing - that's the original one I was referencing when I said "I saw another one...".

I'm really tired of this constant "omg look a problem" thing. This is how they make money. They're not going to make money publishing stories of "today was great. Not a whole lot happened..", etc.

The article was jam packed with important facts. Facts matter, right?
    The Dept of health and human services "estimated that an additional 70,000 machines would be required in a moderate influenza pandemic."
    This has been making the rounds everywhere. This article is not "jampacked" with shit. You can google ventilator shortage and get these kinds of numbers in many articles. Anyone following this somewhat closely has seen the 170k ventilators we have and that we need way more. That is not anything new.

See, experts KNOW we need a shitload of ventilators during a pandemic. It is something that can be planned for. I know some people want to push the narrative that this could never be predicted or planned for....
    Really? Who is that? Please tell me. Trump?? Is Trump always right about everything? Who are these "some people"? People who worship him that are as brainless as the people on the opposite side that worship Dem leaders? I don't know who you're talking about. I also haven't seen anything "new" from "experts" in this.

The new company made good progress toward a $3000 ventillator.. Their progress was too good. Because one of their large competitors bought them for $100M and shit-canned the project to avoid the competition against their $10K ventilators. Often it is much easier to buy a threat than to compete.

The company had received $6.1 million upfront.

So, actually, I'd say it is a great article, full of FACTS.
    I think you're too easily entertained.

"The stalled efforts to create a new class of cheap, easy-to-use ventilators highlight the perils of outsourcing projects with critical public-health implications to private companies; their focus on maximizing profits is not always consistent with the government’s goal of preparing for a future crisis."
    Oh wow, private companies want to make money. What a shocker. Please refund everyone's 5-10 minutes reading that article.

How about use common sense - which is to say, pay a private company to do it if you want, but don't expect them to do it for free. Nor is there any huge issue in producing these things if they want to make them. I'm really tired of hearing all this "can't" nonsense. Everything is just an attempt to make something out of nothing.

I saw Cuomo get on TV and say they want to buy PPE and blah blah. Here's a number for funding, here's a number if you have supplies to sell. Guy makes it sound all desperate. I'm working part-time at an injection molding company that can do the face shields and eyewear, is ISO 9001 certified, and already does govt contracts for the OZ govt. Number goes to voicemail, says send an email. Send an email, nothing after over a week. I'm sick of the "the sky is falling" crap. I get it - it sucks, we're all in lockdown, many people can die and are dying, but it's also being overblown. The media is milking every last bit out of this that they can.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Moved past all that ..the Indians say they are building ventilators for $600....Now thats a big market.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Got a plan for the FDA certification?

These are pretty sophisticated devices- they have to be tuned for the individual patient, and constantly monitored and adjusted.

They go through a lot of testing before they get approved for medical use.
    ^^^THIS!!! It will cost a billion dollars just to get FDA approval. Add another billion a year for insurance. Throw in a couple billion for greasing the palms of connected politicians. Don't forget the Obamacare medical equipment tax. By the time anyone tools up from scratch there will be an over abundance of ventilators that will never get used.
    The only hope for producing lots of them are to have an existing design licensed for use under the umbrella protection of a company that already makes them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After doing some research - it appears that these guys have made a lot of progress -> OpenLung - Open Source Ventilator A group of Irish and Canucks . . . with opportunity to join efforts being encouraged.

And kudos to these guys for their efforts - and the use of a private Slack group of 130 folks who can winnow through the massive amount of information coming in and turn it into actionable efforts.

D.I.Y. Coronavirus Solutions Are Gaining Steam - The New York Times

(look at the "reader view" to bypass the subscription requirements)