Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least you guys get your streets plowed.

We don't get that here. They wait until the snow stops. This assures that there is a good layer of ice under everything.

Then we wait for the sun to pop out and thaw the top layer......THEN we plow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    Are we sure the criteria was performance and price, and not who could make the ugliest one ?

On the bright side atleast they didn't pick this one, made by a Turkish company in collaberation with US company Morgan Olson, a descendant of Grumman Olson.

3. Likes cyanidekid liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neilho View Post
    The town had an Oshkosh plow truck a while back. Worst rig we ever owned. Now that's only 1 out 20, they could be better than that now, but we'll never buy another.
    What was "bad" about it ?

Reliability ? traction ? Service ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The town had an Oshkosh plow truck a while back. Worst rig we ever owned. Now that's only 1 out 20, they could be better than that now, but we'll never buy another.

Oddly enough the only Oshkosh plow truck I've seen over here was many years ago in farming country. All the municipal trucks in our suburbs, the Milwaukee and adjacent areas are Internationals and Freightliners, and maybee a smattering of Fords.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    What was "bad" about it ?

Reliability ? traction ? Service ?
    Reliability. After the first year, which was OK, it was in the shop almost as much as it was available for use. Traction was good, pretty much guaranteed by chains and a dump body with sand in it. 5 years in, it was also rusting faster than it should have, so we got out while we could still get something for it.

Hard use, for sure, but we usually get 10 years out of a plow rig.

7. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Reliability. After the first year, which was OK, it was in the shop almost as much as it was available for use. Traction was good, pretty much guaranteed by chains and a dump body with sand in it. 5 years in, it was also rusting faster than it should have, so we got out while we could still get something for it.

Hard use, for sure, but we usually get 10 years out of a plow rig.
    Interesting, must be a newer one with electronics.

You see the old ones in the back yard of the local small townships.

They get very little miles on them, as they only get used on the bad places.
    So it's normal to see 1950's Oshkosh's around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mid to late '90s, IIRC. It's been a little while.

Interesting to hear stories of high reliability, we musta maybe got a lemon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't seen a USPS branded mail route truck in my area in ages. Letter carriers here all take advantage of a very lucrative vehicle allowance and use their own vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

About a third of carriers are "rural" and drive their own vehicles. So they would have to buy one of these at retail if they wanted one.

In my area, the "very lucrative" allowance is about .72 a mile- on top of the starting pay of $17.65 an hour.
    I dunno how rich you can get on seventeen bucks an hour.

Where I live its enough to buy a 20 year old Right Hand Drive Japanese market mini-van- at least 3 of the carriers at my tiny post office drive them. 2 mitsus and a toyota.
    If a vehicle is over 20 years old, it can be licensed in the US even if it wouldnt have been legal when new. So you can buy 20 plus japanese market rhd sports cars, and minivans.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    About a third of carriers are "rural" and drive their own vehicles. So they would have to buy one of these at retail if they wanted one.

In my area, the "very lucrative" allowance is about .72 a mile- on top of the starting pay of $17.65 an hour.
    I dunno how rich you can get on seventeen bucks an hour.

Where I live its enough to buy a 20 year old Right Hand Drive Japanese market mini-van- at least 3 of the carriers at my tiny post office drive them. 2 mitsus and a toyota.
    If a vehicle is over 20 years old, it can be licensed in the US even if it wouldnt have been legal when new. So you can buy 20 plus japanese market rhd sports cars, and minivans.
    How many jobs start at $17+ per hour AND give you .72c/per mile? I don't know what an average day driving is, but if it's in the hundred mile range that pays your gas for a week or two maybe. Not a bad deal for a starter job

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its very hard on vehicles and think about how long it takes to build up many miles with all the starts and stops. Serious decrease in vehicle life if used as a mail-car. Around us they struggle to fill the positions. Sounds like all the BS we hear about from the top is even worse if you are an employee of the USPS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    How many jobs start at $17+ per hour AND give you .72c/per mile? I don't know what an average day driving is, but if it's in the hundred mile range that pays your gas for a week or two maybe. Not a bad deal for a starter job
    funny, all my rural mail delivery people have been on their Last job, not their first one. The only people who apply, generally, are old. Young people can make more money waiting tables.
    all my maiil persons, at the post office or on the route, are full fledged adults who are expecting this job to last quite some time. I have had 2 mail carriers in their 60s in the last 25 years, both driving their own rigs, and neither was rolling in dough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    Royal Mail is testing modified black cabs as mail carriers. Few years ago they were testing the below truck.

Navistar tested these several years ago. Handsome design.
    That red one looks like it would make a nice camper van.

Friend bought a RH drive Subaru (ex mail delivery) car a few years ago, I drove it for a day about a year ago, it felt just wrong

16. Likes neilho liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please somebody show me where a driver doing a job requiring no skill and just any right hand drive vehicle gets anywhere close to 72 cents a mile and $17 an hr to start. Real world, private sector jobs only where the business employing them has to at least break even. Also it seems some forget the buying power of that wage varies greatly by region. Also don't forget the benefits. My retired ex USPS supervisor neighbor says the average USPS worker around here makes $60k a year, in this area you can live pretty decent on that money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Please somebody show me where a driver doing a job requiring no skill and just any right hand drive vehicle gets anywhere close to 72 cents a mile and $17 an hr to start. Real world, private sector jobs only where the business employing them has to at least break even. Also it seems some forget the buying power of that wage varies greatly by region. Also don't forget the benefits. My retired ex USPS supervisor neighbor says the average USPS worker around here makes $60k a year, in this area you can live pretty decent on that money.
    I'm guessing they want people that will stick with the job. If you only paid $10 an hour you would be training new employees every few months, and forget about getting the old employee to train the new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How many miles does the average USPS driver , serving suburbs, do in a day ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most UPS drivers make around 30 bucks an hour, and they are supplied with trucks- they dont have to buy their own. I am kinda shocked that anybody thinks seventeen bucks an hour is somehow a high wage.
    Starting wage at costco these days is 16, but average wage is closer to 25.
    And you dont have to buy your own rhd car, either.

as for "no skills"- my mail carriers have been good at their jobs- my mail gets here undamaged, almost all the time. The actual carrier may know up to 500 people on a route, including knowing special delivery needs and tricks, which dogs to avoid, who is too old to walk to their mailbox, which way to drive when its snowing, which roads flood, where you cant turn around- a hundred things, every day, that arent exactly "skills", but are essential to doing the job right.
    I had two guys for maybe ten years each who were like that- special personalized service for pretty much everybody, based on need, of course.

I am talking about rural carriers here- they dont get uniforms, or company cars, they usually have to finish the route, no matter what time it is, no punching out at the end of 8 hours. During the holiday season, 10 or 12 hour days are not uncommon, some years my winter delivery would be close to 8pm, and they were loading their cars at 7 in the morning.

The people I know who work for the post office earn every penny.

21. Likes Greg White, digger doug, paul39 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

funny, all my rural mail delivery people have been on their Last job, not their first one. The only people who apply, generally, are old. Young people can make more money waiting tables.
    all my maiil persons, at the post office or on the route, are full fledged adults who are expecting this job to last quite some time. I have had 2 mail carriers in their 60s in the last 25 years, both driving their own rigs, and neither was rolling in dough.
    Most UPS drivers make around 30 bucks an hour, and they are supplied with trucks- they dont have to buy their own. I am kinda shocked that anybody thinks seventeen bucks an hour is somehow a high wage.
    Starting wage at costco these days is 16, but average wage is closer to 25.
    And you dont have to buy your own rhd car, either.

as for "no skills"- my mail carriers have been good at their jobs- my mail gets here undamaged, almost all the time. The actual carrier may know up to 500 people on a route, including knowing special delivery needs and tricks, which dogs to avoid, who is too old to walk to their mailbox, which way to drive when its snowing, which roads flood, where you cant turn around- a hundred things, every day, that arent exactly "skills", but are essential to doing the job right.
    I had two guys for maybe ten years each who were like that- special personalized service for pretty much everybody, based on need, of course.

I am talking about rural carriers here- they dont get uniforms, or company cars, they usually have to finish the route, no matter what time it is, no punching out at the end of 8 hours. During the holiday season, 10 or 12 hour days are not uncommon, some years my winter delivery would be close to 8pm, and they were loading their cars at 7 in the morning.

The people I know who work for the post office earn every penny.
    I am confused/ I didn't say $17/hr was good money, but good money for a starter job. My first job paid $5/hr... .25 cents over the minimum wage at the time.

Are you really comparing knowing what roads to take when and where to knowing SFM for a dozen materials, fixturing, heat treat stock to leave for grinding/hard milling/turning.... tap drill sizes, parameters for deep holes vs shallow holes...? LoL ok processing 1-2-3 ops and the correct orders for the best chance of success...??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny some people seem to think they are the only ones who should make a living wage
    And the rest of the people are over paid lazy bums

24. Likes JoeE., Greg White, tdmidget, Ries, JNieman and 2 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny some people seem to think they are the only ones who should make a living wage
    And the rest of the people are over paid lazy bums
    And that's irrelevent anyway, because these things are set by market rates. If you offer $8/hr to deliver mail and nobody shows up to do the job, you have a problem (especially when you are the post office and have a mandate from an obscure and inscrutable entity called the US Federal Govt.... you can't just abandon the area.)

There's many a thread here about firms offering machinists silly low starting wages for silly high requirements, but rarely any about how such entities are having great success at this.

What a job pays has next to nothing to do with what anybody "deserves" and a lot to do with realities in the political economy.

(The great line from the movie Unforgiven "Deserve has got nothing to do with it".... Applies in a lot of things....)

26. Likes Ries liked this post