What's new

ot-20,000 children, teens injured lawnmowing

• Thread starter art_deco_machine
  • Start date
  • Replies 36
  • Views 2,067
A

art_deco_machine

From Chicago, the place where (correct me if I am wrong) it is a felony to own a handgun, comes this bit of news:
Teens injured with lawn mowers

"The power lawn mower is one of the most dangerous tools around the home..."

Maybe they should make you lock up the mower in a cabinent to prevent child injuries.

It is always made out to be big news when a child gets shot with a gun. And safety locks are sold with every new gun, a federal law, I believe, to protect the children. Also, it is against the federal law to sell ammo to children, except when the children live on a farm. It is all to protect the children.

I wonder, are there more children injured with guns, or with lawn mowers?

A few years ago, I read an article about the Shriner's hospital and about how they recieved many cases each year of children injured by lawn mowers. And the biggest cause of death among children is auto accidents. Wonder how often they treat gun wounds as opposed to automobile and lawn mower accidents?

Beware of the sneaky way that news reporters speak about guns and children. They will say, "More children are killed by guns than all natural causes combined." Just stop and think; what is a 'natural cause'? So more children die of guns than die of cancer, heart attacks, diabetes, Alzheimer's and old age?

This is an offshoot of the discussion about guns in the 'Will they arrest you for machine tool' topic.

Well think about lawn mowers - basically a
five hp motor with a huge chopper blade on it,
protected only by a flimsy piece of sheet
metal. And completely *un*guarded on one
side!

Then put the whole thing on rollers without
any brakes and start scooting around the
backyard. No wonder folks get hurt.

I betcha that the only reason more kids than
adults get hurt, is that many more kids use
lawnmowers than adults.

OK, show of hands here, who's removed/defeated
disconnected/unhooked/simplified all of the
safety crap on their personal mower?

Jim

"Satety crap" is what prevents 99% of the accidents in the first place. Like most machines, common sense has to prevail. Manufacturers cannot make them 100% idiot proof.

My sons have been taught and practice without exception that if there is any problem or they slip they are to let go of the drive bar which immediately kills the engine. They have been taught and practice without exception to turn off the snow blower before looking into the chute let alone sticking anything in it.

People know what not to do when operating these machines, they get lazy and take shortcuts. Same with most machine shop accidents.

I havent seen a kid pushing a mower around here in years. In fact, I think I'm the only homeowner who doesnt have a landscaper show up once a week every week between March and December in an F-700 dumper with a 20' box trailer in tow and a bunch of illegals hanging off the back, spewing volumes of particulate matter into the air from noisy gas-powered blowers, starting at 8AM and continuing throughout the day. Passersby see me trimming the hedge and stare - maybe they're admiring my legs in shorts, lol.

When I was a kid, I cut the lawn, in exchange with my parents for food, clothing, and shelter. I never came close to any kind of injury, the mower had a rope starter, and safety glasses hadnt even been invented, for all I know. Sheesh. Back then, the only person who had a landscaper was the President of the local bank. The guy showed up in a pickup truck, with his mower and a rake.

Our daughter (12) likes our manual (without engine) mower. It's lighter, easy to push, and there's no issues with fuel or starting it. It would be hard to get hurt with it.

Must be some propaganda to justify bringing in more illegals to do landscaping. My 2 oldest kids, 20 year old girl and 16 year old boy, split the lawn mowing. The 13 year old boy is responsible for returning deposit bottles & cans. The only one in this house who doesn't work is the dog. They are the only kids on my block cutting lawns and the only ones speaking English while doing it too! The new neighbors see me working on the house, think I'm a contractor and ask me if I can give them an estimate on some work when I'm finished! The look is priceless when I tell them I'm not a contractor, but the homeowner. Hell, some my neighbors have their landscapers come in the winter for snow removal!

It's going to get interesting when "the system" crashes!

Lawn Boy mowers (old models) happen to be one of my hobbies. None of my mowers have the trial lawyer induced safey nonsense. I like a good lightweight push mower with a two cycle engine and Lawn Boy made one of the best.

I would wonder if these statistics get better or worse each year.

On the one hand we have our Savior president who has solved this problem in his open borders economic paridise policy where every parent can simply hire an illegal freeing their son to play video games. Soon as he perfects it you'll be able to hire an illegal to take your place at work too leading to an optimal economic situation (Yea Right).

On the other side are today's parents they love to say stuff like " -- Children should be at least age 12 before they operate any lawnmower and at least 16 years old for a ride-on mower. " However that isn't going to fix the problem. Where's the kids father? He should be teaching his son respect for tools, and machines. I must have been 10 when I started mowing the lawn with my father, and like using his power tools including the "deadly" table saw he tought me first and foremost respect.

We are growing real fast into a society of sissy lawyers and loosers. This country wants people all around the world to design idiot proof products that they can consume and get ritch of of. If they can't get some one in another country to do their dirty work for free they want thier president to open their border so they can bring the guy here to do their dirty work.

Plain and simple rather then make new stupid warnings, legislation, saftety guards, and lawsuits just get dad out there to teach lawnmower safety to his kid!

Adam

-- Children should be at least age 12 before they operate any lawnmower and at least 16 years old for a ride-on mower.
That quote is hilarious, I first used a lawnmower
(riding type) when I was 6, I still have all
my fingers and toes. I was always taught all
the safety precautions, and if I was caught doing
something stupid, negative reinforcement (the
belt in the behind) would follow.

Since the public does not believe in firm discipline today, kids are raised with out feeling the consequences of their actions, and
go through life with out common sense. Today's
average 16 year old is as mature and wise as
an 8 year old from 1965.

Beware of the sneaky way that news reporters speak about guns and children. They will say, "More children are killed by guns than all natural causes combined."

They do? Provide an example. You are putting up a strawman.
One of the more commonly used anti-gun statistics is to lump all those 17 years and younger in the "children" category. Thus it seems there are large numbers of toddlers blowing their heads off when in reality it is mainly teenage gang members.

They do? Provide an example. You are putting up a strawman.
I have heard them say it on TV. They have those ads like with Ophra Winfrey. Also, read it in a newspaper. I can't just point to a specific example right from memory, it has been awhile since I heard it.

I just said, "beware", as in 'listen for yourself'. You will come across it sooner or later.

I have a Lawn Boy for anyone who wants it. I can't get it to run right. I think the electronic ignition is flakey. I don't see how the things run at all; they look like half the parts are missing.

I was a farm boy, started mowing at 10 (maybe I was spoiled, but my Grandpa enjoyed mowing the lawn, and until he died, he just did it). Started working around the other machinery shortly thereafter, running the large tractors, chainsaws, etc. As stated the real problem is kids today aren't taught these things the way we were. Like the rack of firearms, tools, and machinery I hadn't been instructed in, "KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF!!!!" Of course, just something else to think about, when the gunrack came off the wall and the firearms were put in a closet, they were much more interesting. But things that are "forbidden" normally are.

I can't even remember how young I was when I started to mow the lawn. I remember that I couldn't reach the pedal on the ride on tractor so we had put a 4"x4" block of wood on it. I started shooting guns at around the same age and going to shooting competitions ( I could only watch at those as I was way too young ). I still have all my fingers and toes. Haven't shot myself or anyone yet. Of course I had all the proper training, and with a little common sence a lot of accidents can be avoided. It all falls back on the parents.

In Canada there are more people that die from falling off ladders each year than there are that die from gun shot.

Maybe if less children were hooked on meds like valium and zolof from the age of 4 they wouldn't feel so lost when they become teenagers with no will to live and no interests.
I could just go on and on....

I can remember using riding mowers,snowblowers,and rototillers since I was 7 or 8 , I still can count to 10 , or 20 with my shoes off ,been hunting and shooting since I was 9 or so . I'm 40 something now and have a 12 year old son who is doing the same . Its all in proper training and common sense . Being held accountable for your actions is something that seems to be slipping away these days. Accidents can and do happen, but when negligence is removed from the equation the #'s are trimmed down .It is sensless when someone is injured by a car ,tool,gun or whatever by someone who didn't know proper use and safety ,it could have been easily avoided.It's up to us as parents/mentors to pass these things on so we don't end up with a whole generation of idiot sheeple. Just the opinion of a somewhat Hi Tech Redneck .

Back