What's new
What's new

OT: a brand new reel-to-reel tape deck currently manfactured

It's my fault.

I finally got around to selling an old Teac reel to reel tape recorder a couple of years ago that had been sitting in a box for at least the past thirty years.

By the time I finally give up on anything, it's back in fashion again. At least according to the guy who bought it. Next up, one of these days I'll find my stack of Kodak Ektagraphic slide projectors with the fader control . . .

It's my fault.

I finally got around to selling an old Teac reel to reel tape recorder a couple of years ago that had been sitting in a box for at least the past thirty years.

By the time I finally give up on anything, it's back in fashion again. At least according to the guy who bought it. Next up, one of these days I'll find my stack of Kodak Ektagraphic slide projectors with the fader control . . .

Been looking at EMT turntables at auctions over the years, but everyone wants them, so they go for several thousands.

I have a few of the 2" tape reel boxes. They are nice for storing holiday lights. It was a long job to get all the tape off the reels first.
Bill D

That reminds me, now that the pandemic is getting under control I should get out my slide projector and invite some vaccinated friends over to see all my old vacation pictures.

That reminds me, now that the pandemic is getting under control I should get out my slide projector and invite some vaccinated friends over to see all my old vacation pictures.

Oh no....the host sets up the slide projector. Covid just might be a preferable fate. LOL

audio-phoolery is what happens when you get a person who has this nagging sense inside that there must be more to life, and they don't own any machine tools

A 10-inch reel has about 3000 feet of tape. A single inch of tape can easily store about 2 gigabytes of data. That's a total of 6 terabytes of data on one reel. A blu-ray disc by comparison stores about 40 gigabytes of data. So, one 10-inch tape holds the same amount of data as about 150 blu-ray discs.

A 10-inch reel has about 3000 feet of tape. A single inch of tape can easily store about 2 gigabytes of data.
That doesn't sound right. I have a DATMan 7, yes it's only 1/4 inch tape but it won't store anywhere near a half gig per inch. And DDS digital tape backups don't hold anywhere near that much either. Plus tape is kind of fragile.

A 10-inch reel has about 3000 feet of tape. A single inch of tape can easily store about 2 gigabytes of data. That's a total of 6 terabytes of data on one reel. A blu-ray disc by comparison stores about 40 gigabytes of data. So, one 10-inch tape holds the same amount of data as about 150 blu-ray discs.

What's "a single inch" ?

Back