OT: A Cashless Society? - Page 8
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    You would not believe how many people grumble about the sign they put up at the local country store. "Minimum purchase of $5 if using debit or credit." About a week ago a clown in line saw the sign and walked out saying the store must be run by Asians. Strangely enough a Korean guy owns the store, not sure the connection there. Maybe Asians don't want to lose money if someone buys a small pack of gum with a debit card, I guess other races are ok with that. Not sure about stores, but if I were to take a debit card with what I use it costs 15 cents + almost 3%.
    Local small shop that sells coffee and baked goods has a sign that lists a $10 minimum to use a card.

Gas station has 2 prices at the pump for each fuel grade, one for cash and a higher one for credit.

Gun shop north of here has slightly lower price for cash purchase.

Credit costs money, for the buyer if they carry a balance and pay interest and usually 3% for the merchant for ALL purchases. Lately VISA has been courting restaurants with all kinds of incentives to go cashless BUT ..... given the past behavior by the card companies what are the odds they will be so nice after the honeymoon is over. In a world where credit has no competition expect fees for everything including paying in full every month. The credit card companies call people wh pay the whole amount "freeloaders".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Since 1933 the USA has used play money with no real value. This has been not much different then using electrons as currency as is common now. There is no need for paper money once people accept that elctrons have value.
    Bill D
    Big difference is that they can charge whatever they want for the "privilege" of using those electrons, especially if they can eliminate cash as a competitor.

3. Likes Oldwrench, SND, Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You would not believe how many people grumble about the sign they put up at the local country store. "Minimum purchase of $5 if using debit or credit." About a week ago a clown in line saw the sign and walked out saying the store must be run by Asians. Strangely enough a Korean guy owns the store, not sure the connection there. Maybe Asians don't want to lose money if someone buys a small pack of gum with a debit card, I guess other races are ok with that. Not sure about stores, but if I were to take a debit card with what I use it costs 15 cents + almost 3%.
    Visa specifically has it written in their vendor agreement that vendors who accept Visa are explicitly prohibited from instituting a minimum charge.

Doesn't mean people don't break the rule, though.

5. Likes Booze Daily liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Easy workaround. Make that pack of gum two for $5 instead of $2.50 each.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Visa specifically has it written in their vendor agreement that vendors who accept Visa are explicitly prohibited from instituting a minimum charge.

Doesn't mean people don't break the rule, though.
    I didn't know that. I am old school, about the only thing I use cards for is gas pumps and online. I have heard quite a few people saying using plastic helps them control their spending and actual cash burns a hole in their pocket. To each his own, the amount of cash I have on hand does not alter my spending habits one bit.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't know that. I am old school, about the only thing I use cards for is gas pumps and online. I have heard quite a few people saying using plastic helps them control their spending and actual cash burns a hole in their pocket. To each his own, the amount of cash I have on hand does not alter my spending habits one bit.
    Nor I, but I use my credit card for everything. I get PAID to do that, as the card comes with 1.75% cash back on all $$$ spent with it. It's kind of nice to get a free thousand bucks once every 2-3 years. Also kind of nice for me to see exactly what was spent each month in one consolidated number when I pay off on the first.

What's really scary is that the push to end cash is coupled (in some jurisdictions, mostly in Europe IIRC) with a push for state-controlled electronic currency. Think like bitcoin but with the government controlling the creation of tokens. The old adage "follow the dollars" will become obsolete once the government is under complete control of the full history of all currency in use. The amount of compliance and enforcement that can be enacted through that type of currency control is limited only by how quickly it can be adopted and deployed.

9. Likes Oldwrench, Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I didn't know that. I am old school, about the only thing I use cards for is gas pumps and online. ....
    Me too cash, real dollar bills and you get the more effort in spending them.
    Advice to the young, Do not go into the titty bar with 3,000 cash in the wallet.
    After enough drinks and friends a bunch is gone and in the morning the rest is missing and your wallet is backwards in your pants pocket.
    Bob

11. Likes SND, Mike1974 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Me too cash, real dollar bills and you get the more effort in spending them.
    Advice to the young, Do not go into the titty bar with 3,000 cash in the wallet.
    After enough drinks and friends a bunch is gone and in the morning the rest is missing and your wallet is backwards in your pants pocket.
    Bob
    Lol...two tricks....

1). First trick is just not drinking.

If they are ugly enough that you need booze, you are at the wrong one.

2). Secondly...Front pocket money and wallet money.

I’ve only been once, and it was with the wife. A few hundred spent, but it was fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I’ve only been once, and it was with the wife. A few hundred spent, but it was fun.
    Michigan or Canada? Very weird experience to take the wife or soon to be but she wanted to go and see the whats up....
    This is probably disgusting to many others here.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ohio actually.

Wife probably had more fun.

For me it’s like going to the grocery store, hungry, with only enough money for toilet paper and a years worth of ramen in the cupboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Very weird experience to take the wife or soon to be but she wanted to go and see the whats up....
    This is probably disgusting to many others here.
    Disgusting to me is the thought of sitting next to one of my guy friends while we've both got boners from watching the same girl dance.

I've been married 15 years...anything I do is going to be more fun if I know I've got her permission and supervision to make sure I do it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Arco does not take credit cards at all. They charge for a debit card use. This allows them to charge less for gas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

WC Fields goes into the pussy cat cafe hungover in the morning and asks if he came in last night. Told he did he asks did he spend his twenty dollar bill. He was told he had spent it all. He said "good, I thought I had lost it."
    Bill D

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cashless tied to your social credit score is what they'd like to implement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Sounds familiar. Isn't there some large country that does exactly that now?

Post something they don't like on social media (or even get overheard and reported) and your credit card becomes unusable for a few hours. No morning coffee or tea, no subway ride, and much more. become a repeat offender and your money is shut off for longer and longer periods.

Unlike many, I pay cash for gas. Got in the habit during the 70s when driving a car with a large V8 during the gas crisis and activists were trying to identify "gas hogs". Didn't want the chance of someone slipping them copies of credit statements. Occasionally one such would pull alongside and start beeping, often also shouting "gas hog!". If they persisted they got a quick physics lesson.

20. Likes SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    Data collection is the key to power. Between the credit card and the smart phone those honorable dignitaries also called bureaucrats, politicians,healthcare providers and Campbell's soup know what you are buying and where you are. Doesn't stop there in the least. Contact tracers know who you are sitting next to and most likely can hear or even see you. This is a Joseph Goebbels and later Stasi wet dream. "Dear Mr. Kiegh, we know that you have been regularly buying Glenfiddich 18 year old Scotch and this has been reported to the Ministry of Health. We also have seen that you consume more than the Govt. approved amount of pork related products such as Spam ( Mmmm!) . We also know that you are a Diamond member and Gold star contributor at farm animal fantasy.com .
    This excessive data collection IMHO has gone too far. When I complained to a friend he simply replied "next time pay cash and keep the receipt".
    I do not want to be pushed into a life like Winston Smith's.

22. Likes SND, Demon73 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like cc's. Years ago I decided I only needed one. So I get 2% back and pay off every mo.Ccs also give you some protection against a bad deal. Cash doesn't, neither does a debit card. No way would I use a debit card. They came with a couple of accounts I have but they stay at home except the one I use for cash wd's at the ATM's. It's just so convenient and I have an itemized list every month. Adding another card would boost would boost my score but it is good enough as is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Unlike many, I pay cash for gas. Got in the habit during the 70s when driving a car with a large V8 during the gas crisis and activists were trying to identify "gas hogs". Didn't want the chance of someone slipping them copies of credit statements. Occasionally one such would pull alongside and start beeping, often also shouting "gas hog!". If they persisted they got a quick physics lesson.
    During that odd/even rationing crap I had an 1970 Chevelle SS454 that even with a pretty tall 3.08 final drive ratio sucked down a gallon of gas in 6 miles and that wasn't driving it hard. Fortunately for me I had a buddy that worked at a junkyard that kept me in current spare plates. I didn't drive far with the wrong plates on and definitely had quite a few different gas stations on my rotation.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Sounds familiar. Isn't there some large country that does exactly that now?

Post something they don't like on social media (or even get overheard and reported) and your credit card becomes unusable for a few hours. No morning coffee or tea, no subway ride, and much more. become a repeat offender and your money is shut off for longer and longer periods.
    What a pile of pig shit. I spend more ¥ at lunch than you do in your whole life. What have you bought in China ? Ever ?

This is nonsense. Your imagination needs a damper or something.

However, I am a big fan of cash money. It's a lot harder to get overdrawn on cash ... and I find it hilarious that most of the public is happy as a clam with the 3% surcharge on everything they buy, but put a 3% tax on everything and they'd scream like little girls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    What a pile of pig shit. I spend more ¥ at lunch than you do in your whole life. What have you bought in China ? Ever ?

This is nonsense. Your imagination needs a damper or something.

However, I am a big fan of cash money. It's a lot harder to get overdrawn on cash ... and I find it hilarious that most of the public is happy as a clam with the 3% surcharge on everything they buy, but put a 3% tax on everything and they'd scream like little girls.
    Time you bought another boat and went sailing, Manny. I can get you a deal on a friend's 45' steel cutter ATM as he also has a 60' ketch to play with...

Personally I'm off on the ebb today. Watching seals, dolphins and the birdlife is way better than reading scotty's whines on life.

PDW