What's new
What's new

Ot: A cultural question: Why are so many people infatuated with conspiracy theory?

Zonko

Stainless
Disclaimer:
PLEASE, DO NOT turn this into a liberal vs. conservative , atheist vs. religious etc. thing.
I am not interested in partisan politics of any kind. I have no party affiliation, a matter which makes voting always a pain in the ass for me. Even though we have about 5 relevant parties instead of 2 there still is not one I can fully agree with.

Anyhow, really a simple thing:

Yes, some major events in history were conspiracy based. The start of WWII was a conspiracy and so was Hitlers seizure of power. Fake evidence used to do it. However, in both cases the evidence was blatantly fake. Claiming Poland had attacked Germany. One of the major Industrial powers of the day and a . Blatantly ridiculous. People only "believed" it because they were either nazi themselves or could not have said anything against it without loosing job,health or even life.

Or the NSA, which conspired with various European telecom corporations to spy upon honorable people, our chancellor included.

Up to this point i believe everything. Yes of course, people lie when they make mistakes,people lie to advance their intrests, governments are made up of people, and there we go.

Next we do some internet browsing. What do we find ?

Moon landing fraud ?! Well, actually it would kinda make sense both ways. A fraud would be possible, at the same time...hell..Werner von Braun built mass produced rockets for Hitler in a mostly destroyed country which could reach lower space. Why would he not succeed, given all his German collegues, the best people America had to offer and the vast resources of the USA.

9/11 "Thruther" movement : Well, I actually thought of the Pentagon thing as odd, always did. This is really a crazy subject because something smells fishy in a few places. However the very moment I take a look at the explanation given by these "thruthers"...well...they are fishy and stupid all out. "There is a blue haze there - this guy was photoshopped" HELL yeah, of course a camera lens stays perfectly clean in a mess of that magnitude. Bloody hell, i get shit like this from just using a camera on a peaceful day. Glare, dirt, spit from loud talking and laughing.

Or Detroit: Conservative extremists claim it is a liberal experiment to force people into dependence. Liberals claim it is a failure of open markets and global trade.
Neat ! I like it !

And it gets worse and worse. I just stumbled across some internet board while searching for news on the costa concordia salvage operation and its progress:

WARNING: :icon_bs: : View forum - Worldwide media deceptions ? Cluesforum.info

Basically they claim that every major misshap or desaster since 1900 which had some kind of political impact was staged :D

Costa Concordia, Lusitania, Titanic, school shootings,AIDS everything.
And there is tons more out there: New World Order, Nikola Tesla mysticism, the BRD GmbH (the notion that Germany is no state but a US run corporation or similar - a common cospiracy topic amongst German neo nazis.)

And that is the point of transition: Some conspiracys happened, some events might well involve some type of conspiracy.

BUT:

Most of this shit is badly illogical and can be dismissed at first sight.
The alternative explanation is less logical than the official one and the discussion is based on armchair criticism: Hard to judge heat, fire and war if you have never been in it.

Still many believe it.

And somehow.....while we got our share of cranks and idiots over here.....most of this seems to be USA based. That is why i chose to ask this question here, instead of using a German board. Over here its mostly nazis and other crazies, we do not have something like the "truther" movement.

So...how come ?

P.S. Why do i care ? Well...i have been looking up several major engineering related deasters from the great eastern (engineering and commercial descisionmaking mishaps ) to costa concordia (human situational descisionmaking) and 9/11 recently (vulnerability / random problems). Simply because i am intrested in human behavior. What mistakes do people make. What mistakes do engineers make.
What mistakes are typical for decisionmakers.
I have a habit of looking at arbitrary things and noting the parallels.

In these searches....the amount of conspiracy garbage i found. Oh boy.....but intresting in its own right.

You wish.....
The internet is people......and all it does is tell us something about their state of mind. And you can't deny that much weird shit is somehow an American invention

Occam's Razor - The hypothesis with the least assumptions is the most likely to be correct. Or, "the simplest solution is the correct one".

You wish.....
The internet is people......and all it does is tell us something about their state of mind. And you can't deny that much weird shit is somehow an American invention

This is how you know that we don't have any real problems. We have time to sit around and dream this shit up.

You will never know what happened unless you were there. You only think you know what happens because of what you read. Most people rely on mainstream media.

The reason "conspiracy theories" exist, is because they are plausible. If it makes sense, then it COULD be possible, and if you werent there to see it, you cant prove it either way.

FYI...last time I started a cultural thread, all the old bros got mad ;)

Many "conspiracy" folks presume there is critical evidence being held from public view. Each time it is revealed that, indeed, critical evidence has been withheld, then the conspiriatti have a field day presuming the same is true for all "unsolved" events. Then things settle for awhile, until the next revelation. Then the other wave of conspiracy crashes ashore: if they actually told us everything they know about XYZ event, then it would really shake things up, 'cause then we'd wonder just how they know. So it's a vicious circle. For some, their life is fueled by insatiable curiosity about such tings.

I'm of the opinion that I'll be fully informed of all the mysteries of the universe upon my death.
Or, I'll be fully informed that worrying about that stuff is a total waste of time, as there's much better stuff to attend to.

For now, sign me... Aluminaughty

It is all just a ploy to keep the true reasons for most historical events a mystery. If it wasn’t for blaming an unknown factor such as who is in charge of the conspiracy the Martins would have invaded us years ago.

I lost confidence in 'human honesty' (Desmond Morris might call that an oxymoron) when someone denied the Holocaust. (really??)
These conspiracies, coverups, and other fantasies go around because people are so gullible and because...

"Nothing is more firmly ascribed to than that which is least understood." _'unknown'?

Show me a video of anything and I might say it was faked. Leave out a few details and I might say that only the video stands as proof of anything.

Then again, for all I know the Shroud of Turin proves that only one dead guy was ever parked under a sheet, AND which one.:confused:

btw: Anyone know what's 'real' about 'reality shows? I thought the 6:00 news was reality. Guess I'm a dumb as the rest of 'em. :skep:

I believe my career was real, but have to check some things out with you guys to be sure I learned what I think I did. :willy_nilly:

Politics, schmolitics! Those d__ republicans created the Freemasons and the 'Skull & Bones' society. Now they want us to save the US economy by emptying our wallets to buy pet rocks, or whatever 'creates jobs'. Obviously, their puppet Obama has been drugged and recruited to the cause.

Obviously evidence makes no difference. There are museums around the world full of dinosaur fossils, yet people really believe the earth is less than 10,000 years old. 73% of American believe in Noah and the Arc.

Hey, I knew a welder named Noah, and he struck one hell of an arc...

Now, take a deep breath and repeat after me...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Dennis

The same reason people believe in NLO, perpetual motion, Obamacare, spiritism, total equality, healers and shamans, etc. It's simply a human nature along with a lack of education or common sense in many cases.

Why the conspiracy theories are more prevalent in the US than in Germany (if they are)? Maybe simply because we have have a greater population. Besides, we have a larger territory than Germany, so the chance for the aliens to land here is higher.

jet-fuel-didnt-bring-down-this-tree.jpg

If I may carry this one step beyond

You will never know what happened unless you were there. You only think you know what happens because of what you read. Most people rely on mainstream media.

The reason "conspiracy theories" exist, is because they are plausible. If it makes sense, then it COULD be possible, and if you werent there to see it, you cant prove it either way.

FYI...last time I started a cultural thread, all the old bros got mad ;)

IF one is not present, or even if present, one does not have the presence of mind to actually observe the events that arouse a nation, then one is left only to examine the evidence.....or not.

When the evidence disagrees with the "story" , or the irregularities exceed some level of acceptance, it is "logical" to assume that there is some deception going on. This is especially true for anyone who has studied history and the way "power corrupts".

I have taken an interest in some of the recent events that appear to carry a persistent theme of of using fear to advance the agenda of removing the constitutional rights of the American citizen. I find so much inconsistancy to entirely errode any hope for accurate reporting from the msm or from our government leaders.

I do not theorize, I look at information from where ever it may come, I try to see the weaknesses and reject the glaring bias. (turn off the narrative!)

Still, there are events that defy rational acceptance.

So

I see two types of persons,
Those who have studied the evidence of motive, mechanism and opportunity, and those who have not.

I challenge anyone to NOT suspect "conspiracy" if they are of the first order.

Truth requires no secrecy or explanation. But you do need to get off the couch!

Remember the Maine!

Back