What's new
What's new

OT Electric car sets new record at pikes peak

Karts are the fastest on almost any smooth course.

Bikes win when the going gets rough.

PP is smooth. It's a road race. with gravel...

Karts would win overall, hands down!

Electric motors are missing the important sports-entertainment element of sound. IC engines connect with humans on a visceral level that electric motors do not. And the Peak hasn't been gravel for years now.

TOYO TIRES | Ken Block’s Climbkhana: Pikes Peak Featuring the Hoonicorn V2 - YouTube

Yeah, I know this isn't racing competition but for thrill value I'd rate it ahead of watching a kart...or anything running on batteries.

The change in air density is a big deal at Pikes, VW has an advantage with the battery tech which is perfect for a quick race that rewards instant torque and constant power.

Karts would need a turbo setup to be competitive, and while the whole course is now paved (no more gravel stages), the road's not too smooth, and lack of suspension compliance would hinder a kart.

Motorcycles lose out due to traction out of corners being less than a car, as well as needing a turbo (again, air density). As the course is twisty with lots of corners, even a good two wheel drive electric bike would suffer.

And Larry, that was a low blow (but funny!).

Trump made no mention of it being fake News so I guess VW did win. Of course he could change his mind at anytime. Why didn't GM win he will ask..terrible terrible..
Bil lD

I am not sure what the big deal is. Electric motors produce full torque at near 0 rpm, hence they have no need for gears thus can accelerate quicker. Combine that with multiple electric motors you can have software give each wheel the appropriate power for the conditions.

It is a no brainer that electric is better then fossil fuel engines. However lets put that car in a 12 hour race and see how it goes.

I am not sure what the big deal is. Electric motors produce full torque at near 0 rpm, hence they have no need for gears thus can accelerate quicker. Combine that with multiple electric motors you can have software give each wheel the appropriate power for the conditions.

It is a no brainer that electric is better then fossil fuel engines. However lets put that car in a 12 hour race and see how it goes.
Should be able to change out a battery pack in a pit stop, similar to adding fuel in a tank. Or thinking more to future a quick blast of juice to recharge supercapacitors.
The VW electric was designed for Pikes Peak, another car would be needed for lemans or other endurance races.

No longer a real race or even a real time trial.
Paved and short. Electric will rule this in time.
No way what it once was but times change.
If Vee-dub electric beats all others then they should be celebrated as king of the hill with all the accolades and bow down to them.
You build to race what is in front of you. A 1/4 mile powertrain will not do Lemans. A 24-48 hour motor will not run with the short guys.

It's a win and record, you can not deny or cry about it. You can only try to beat it.
Talk all you want about this or that. Set the new record in the motorsports books. Own the title for a few years.
Feel all tall and bulletproof for a bit, .....and then "they" come to clean your clock.
Bob

Back