cool story.
    Gw

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    The dirt is gone.
    A victim of it's popularity.
    Sort of. The paving was actually the result of a successful lawsuit by the Sierra Club to prevent runoff from the gravel sections contaminating area streams. Instead of closing the gravel road, it was decided to pave it.

Paving started in 2002, first all-tarmac race was 2012.

Paving Pikes Peak - Competitors - Pikes Peak International Hill Climb

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, paved due to the lawsuit.
    If it was not a big name place there would not have been a lawsuit to file.
    Hence "A victim of it's popularity".
    Seen the same thing happen here in my woods trails. A place lightly ridden on in the 60s and 70s somehow becomes famous.
    Then it gets overused and the lawsuits and rules come down.
    From this there is one lesson I've learned, If you have a great area off road to let loose in don't publicize it to the world.
    Bob

4. Likes Greg White, ratbldr427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post
    I am not sure what the big deal is. Electric motors produce full torque at near 0 rpm, hence they have no need for gears thus can accelerate quicker. Combine that with multiple electric motors you can have software give each wheel the appropriate power for the conditions.

It is a no brainer that electric is better then fossil fuel engines. However lets put that car in a 12 hour race and see how it goes.
    Formula e is a pretty exciting series.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Yes, paved due to the lawsuit.
    If it was not a big name place there would not have been a lawsuit to file.
    Hence "A victim of it's popularity".
    Seen the same thing happen here in my woods trails. A place lightly ridden on in the 60s and 70s somehow becomes famous.
    Then it gets overused and the lawsuits and rules come down.
    From this there is one lesson I've learned, If you have a great area off road to let loose in don't publicize it to the world.
    Bob
    That’s happening all over the Rampart here in Colorado.
    For many years the hikers, horse folk, motorcyclists, shooters and fishermen had an understanding. An uneasy one at times but we all got a long.
    Population pressure has broken that peace.
    Traditional horse and foot areas are being torn up by new comers and (goddam mountain bikes). The tacticool crowd is plinking across foot trails. People thatmoved in and like the hiking bitch about the noise across the valley.
    But the driving force for the law suits is erosion killing the gold medal fly fishing.
    Even us old school climbers are bitching about crowded routs and people with hammer drills setting fixed protection on otherwise clean rock.
    The old school shooters have an informal meet and clean up at the informal ranges, I hear complaints from them about the FNGs not cleaning their brass and targets too.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

7. Likes CarbideBob, Milland, ratbldr427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Formula e is a pretty exciting series.
    Ehhh...

I'm biased, having followed F1 since Jim Clark, but FE seems too slow, too constrained by the treaded all-weather tires and mostly the limits on powerplant development. Too spec for my tastes.

On the other hand, F1 has gone mad with costs and complexity, and with one team (at most two) dominating I'm not as engaged as I used to me. I must admit, I also miss the noise of the V10s and 12s, even the V8s. I've been watching this documentary on Williams during the early 90s:

The making of the Williams Renault FW15c, Alain Prost's last championship winning car - YouTube

and to hear the V10s again is glorious...

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For many years the hikers, horse folk, motorcyclists, shooters and fishermen had an understanding. An uneasy one at times but we all got a long.
    EXACTLY ! And this is my bitch with immigration. I don't care if it's Mexicans who just want a bright new life for their twelve babies or Chinese who want to water the ketchup in their restaurants or Iranians who want to convert the world or Russian whores or Transylvanian vampires. THERE'S TOO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS PLANET !

And this "growth" thing is mentally retarded !

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    FE seems too slow, too constrained by the treaded all-weather tires and mostly the limits on powerplant development. Too spec for my tastes.

On the other hand, F1 has gone mad with costs and complexity, and with one team (at most two) dominating I'm not as engaged as I used to me.
    Non-wing sprinters and midgets. That's pretty much the only motor sport left where anyone can win, and driving counts the most. And the drivers still got them big cajones

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    EXACTLY ! And this is my bitch with immigration. I don't care if it's Mexicans who just want a bright new life for their twelve babies or Chinese who want to water the ketchup in their restaurants or Iranians who want to convert the world or Russian whores or Transylvanian vampires. THERE'S TOO MANY PEOPLE ON THIS PLANET !

And this "growth" thing is mentally retarded !

Non-wing sprinters and midgets. That's pretty much the only motor sport left where anyone can win, and driving counts the most. And the drivers still got them big cajones
    Yep, kinda have to agree with you, but I will take Grand National flattrack racing and even the amateurs, just ahead of those two options.
    Big cajones are a prerequisite or a least they help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D KIRBY View Post
    Yep, kinda have to agree with you, but I will take Grand National flattrack racing and even the amateurs, just ahead of those two options.
    Big cajones are a prerequisite or a least they help.
    There’s still run what you brung rally.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Friend of mine that I had built some suspension bushings for on his Vette went to PP in 92 and 93.
    Being a Florida boy the air density change killed him the first time(the car),did much better the second.

I live in the center of Duval Co/Jacksonville.Up until the 80's I could leave the house and in 15 min's,N,S,E or West I could find off road riding all day long,no body cared.

All gone now mostly due to population growth but a lot was lawsuits against landowners by people getting hurt on the property and irresponsible shitheads trashing the spots.

Only thing left are M/Cross tracks and my old ass is way past that.I sure miss riding in the woods.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take the brakes off and restrict rim sizes to WM-3 or 4 and I'd agree with you. Too much follow-the-leader nowadays. And they don't invert the start

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take the brakes off and restrict rim sizes to WM-3 or 4 and I'd agree with you. Too much follow-the-leader nowadays. And they don't invert the start
    I am guessing that you haven't been to the Springfield Mile in a long while or maybe just to slow it down a bit, try the Lima Half Mile. Last Sat. of the month in June every year. Nobody is in line there.

You do realize that they have to run their 750's now on all the tracks. Including the short tracks and TT's and to make it even better no more clown suits,mandatory full set of leathers. Ah, the good old days!!

I do agree with you about the rim sizes, but they are just too damn fast now to not be running without brakes.
    I came into it the year brakes became mandatory, and since then I have been witness to more deaths then I care to think about.
    One year at the Duquoin Mile, Kenny Coolbeth's swingarm broke on the front straight away. I am sure all the guys that were behind him were pretty pleased to have working brakes that day.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am guessing that you haven't been to the Springfield Mile in a long while or maybe just to slow it down a bit, try the Lima Half Mile.
    Went to Santa Rosa for the first mile they'd had in ages. It was so boring I left before the feature.

The problem is, fast = big money but it doesn't equal good racing. In the seventies, literally anyone in the feature could win. When you are halfway through the race and you can still throw a blanket over the entire field, that's exciting. 120 or 140 mph makes no difference.

You have to cut the costs and get the sponsorship out of it to have that.

The other thing brakes do is run up the costs and change the racing. They don't use the brakes to slow down anyhow, they run the engine up against the brake and modulate their traction that way. It's entirely different than having to get crossed up to slow down.

It's a lot like the difference between wings and no wings. It's way harder on engines. The more it costs, the fewer people can do it. At one time you could win your heat at Ascot and not make the main, that's how many people were racing. Now they can't even fill up the field.

I guess there's two kinda of fans - the ones who like the racing and the ones who like the technology. I like the racing better. WOO was the same way for me - so impressive for about ten laps. Then "Okay, can we go home now ?"

You do realize that they have to run their 750's now on all the tracks. Including the short tracks and TT's ...
    Yeah, that's totally stupid too.

Funny story about TT's, one of Kenny's customer's kids is/was a national number (or what goes by that name now) and he broke his bike the week before Castle Rock. (I think it was Castle Rock.) So in the tuneup before the national he rode his dad's forty year old Triumph and won He would have ridden it in the national but they wouldn't let him Kenny was in stitches ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Traditional horse and foot areas are being torn up by new comers and (goddam mountain bikes). The tacticool crowd is plinking across foot trails. People thatmoved in and like the hiking bitch about the noise across the valley.
    But the driving force for the law suits is erosion killing the gold medal fly fishing.
    Even us old school climbers are bitching about crowded routs and people with hammer drills setting fixed protection on otherwise clean rock.
    The old school shooters have an informal meet and clean up at the informal ranges, I hear complaints from them about the FNGs not cleaning their brass and targets too.

This is why we can’t have nice things.
    I agree with you completely on this. What do you mean about the mountain bikers exactly? I've heard this tone before but never heard instances. While I'm a mountain biker, I definitely don't fit the normal mt bike crowd. They can be and most of the time are a strange bunch. I'm also an off road motorcyclist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moto367 View Post
    I agree with you completely on this. What do you mean about the mountain bikers exactly? I've heard this tone before but never heard instances. While I'm a mountain biker, I definitely don't fit the normal mt bike crowd. They can be and most of the time are a strange bunch. I'm also an off road motorcyclist.
    Mountain bikes don’t belong on the same paths a feet, any more than motorcycles do.
    The performance envelope is too different for safety.
    Add in the usual 10% asshole quotient and the friction builds up quickly.
    Oh, and they tear up delicate trails and terrain.