OT- Is this a great country or what. - Page 11
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Otrit- I have been bear since before it was popular lol.
    I am willing to take the trade which actually occurs but the chart still is bear to my mind.
    The interesting bit to me is we are still safely in a bull trend- folk calling the “bottom” are focused I believe on the dips as we stumble sideways.
    I am bear in a much more serious fashion- when I call bear it is for a far harder sell off than seen to date...

2. Likes daryl bane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes TR you were talking about a adjustment and here it is. I think you do well to go about things based upon past and if you don’t know the circles of people who know with some assurance what will happen in all likelihood. The initial reaction of the trade talks was good then after people checked on their sources of info it is down. If someone notices solid winning patterns would they not want to be closed mouth about it? Seems so for someone who may know what the Chinese partners think or other sources.

4. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Futures down 400 points or so- one thing I notice is issues tends to rush towards the line.
    Odd bit there- maybe something subtle to learn about change we see in all sorts of things.
    I note again the long term temperature chart for earth over the last 600 millions years- 12^o C being the lower extent and 22^o C the upper.
    The forays towards the other line are done in a rush- then these long pauses at that side of the range.
    Odd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Futures down 400 points or so- one thing I notice is issues tends to rush towards the line.
    Odd bit there- maybe something subtle to learn about change we see in all sorts of things.
    I note again the long term temperature chart for earth over the last 600 millions years- 12^o C being the lower extent and 22^o C the upper.
    The forays towards the other line are done in a rush- then these long pauses at that side of the range.
    Odd.
    You go TR!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is a great country ..Perhaps the greatest.. IMHO.

8. Likes Trboatworks, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    It is a great country ..Perhaps the greatest.. IMHO.
    No reason people shouldn't think their country the greatest - but at what and why often doesn't get mentioned.

If your country (whatever that is) is thought to be greatest then who do you consider to be next best and why?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe at issue here is fealty.
    Countrymen know the failings but carry a love of place regardless.

We don’t suffer it here thankfully but have heard contemporary statements and read accounts of those that must even flee their homeland and yet still hold that love of country.

I don’t see it as a comparison.
    We love our families, our country and don’t question another’s same love of his own.

11. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We don’t suffer it here thankfully but have heard contemporary statements and read accounts of those that must even flee their homeland and yet still hold that love of country.

We love our families, our country and don’t question another’s same love of his own.
    My question wasn't so much a comparison as an explanation of why you thought as you did. "Greatest" is a bit like asking people what they think of the weather. A farmer probably won't give the same answer as a vacationer.

Countries are just areas where people live. What makes them good, OK or bad almost always depends on who's "in charge".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well it might be a tired cliche but for me I enjoy the opportunity here.
    I have never for a moment in my life felt that I couldn’t pursue what ever interests and career I wanted.
    The restrictions lie within- how hard I wanted to work to achieve goals etc.
    It probably doesn’t hurt that I am a white male, my father was a professional, I have a college degree, I have lived all my life in a permanently prosperous part of the country etc.

I started this thread about the right to vote.
    This is a privilege worth celebrating- it is one of the things which make this country great.

I have to restate- all the opportunity and rights present in other places does not diminish the recognized value here.
    I didn’t say the US was the greatest country.
    Just that on its own merits it is indeed a great place.

Which leads me back full circle- fealty.
    I am really not shopping for a new country or even state.
    Summary pieces that read like travel brochures don’t interest me: “the best countries to live in”

I’m a AMERICAN- I like the place and I am not going anywhere.
    I feel the same way about my state- I am a Marylander and intend to stay that way..

14. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    What makes them good, OK or bad almost always depends on who's "in charge".
    In our case, our founding document is, for the most part, "in charge." Federal administrations come and go according to electoral majorities within our fifty States. If the US has a major internal drag, it's the growth during my lifetime of an entrenched bureaucracy, which, as a consequence of a derelict Congress, has been allowed to self-aggrandize to the point of posing a potential danger to the Republic. But whoever's President doesn't matter that much in the longer term.

Those who swore publicly they would leave if Trump were elected failed to follow through, so it must not be all that bad here.

16. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Those who swore publicly they would leave if Trump were elected failed to follow through, so it must not be all that bad here.
    Well, there's some

But it was the Patriot Act and your Gestapo-boot licking toady Congress that was the impetus, not the Donald.

(Let us not forget that Saint Obama was a leader in militarizing the police and enacting much other freedom-crushing shit legislation, so it's bipartisan, as they like to say)

The US has changed radically in the past fifteen years : I think some of you have missed that.

For instance : I'll put $100 into the hands of almost anyone here to hold the stakes : go into a bank where you are not known. Get a $500 cashier's check.

You can't.

"Drug dealers ! Tewwowists !"

350 million people in the US, I'll go out on a limb and say 349 3/4 million are neither drug dealers nor terrorists but you let the rabid dogs in government grab you by the throat and control you. You are actually as "free" as they allow, as long as you continue to act as blood banks for the vampires that really control the US. (And the do-gooders, let us not forget the do-gooders "It's not saaafe !")

Throw away your credit cards. I dare you.

Had a friend (Jewish) who once said, "Nazi Germany wasn't so bad. As long as you were a Nazi."

That's the situation in the US today. Politics is nothing. Where it really counts, in the pocketbook, is where they have you by the balls.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think some prominent Hollywood people said that. How disappointing they are still here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Throw away your credit cards. I dare you.
    I don't have a credit card.

I do however have a Visa branded debit card. This way I cannot spend money I don't actually have. I have zero debt and sleep comfortably with that knowledge.

Plus the boat is now on the hard at the marina. In a few days it'll be in the water.

PDW

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The assumption our pet troll makes is that it is an either-or situation when it is not. Folks still travel, and more easily, often, and cheaply than for most of human history.

Neither is a shift in allegiance involved. There need be nothing of the sort.

I'm comfortable in Virginia. Or Dali. Or Lugano. Or Gijon. Or Lago D'Isea. Or Queenstown. Or several places in the UK. The list goes on. But the retirement income is "fixed". Mostly.

Dali is cheapest, the locals are wonderfully friendly folks, but my command of the Chinese language is slender.

Language is natural, all others.

Spain is still lower-cost than the USA on housing, but foodstuffs and fuel are far more dear.

Queenstown, NZ is lovely, but NZ is not an easy, fast, nor inexpensive place to get to and from. Also too-soon boring for many.

Italy is not as easy long-term as it is for a visit. Foodstuffs, fuel, and more. Again.

CH? The Ticino is way easier to take than Zurich or Geneva, but lodging and - most of all foodstuffs - are terribly more costly anywhere in CH than in the USA.

UK costs are enough higher than in the US there is a marked reduction in possible lifestyle. Not to "third world", but seriously constrained by US disposable income expectations. Denmark worse yet, I've done the both of them.

Or if not stridently expressed "love"?

At least resigned loyalty, given "the wise" are WELL aware that "warts and all" apply to ALL human societies, everywhere and everywhen.

Pick yer most-easily-tolerated set of warts... and JFDWT. No surprise the other guy picked a different set, is there?

I mean.. if you can't even share what's under the blanket, a coffee cup, a pair of boots, or a favourite hammer or hand-drill without making trouble, how the Hell could you share a whole damned country?

It ain't changing 'coz you whine about s**t. Get over that, adapt. STFU and live as a "local". They do it, after all.

Or get TF OUT!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trump has certainly got you choosing sides on almost everything. Intolerance rules.
    Awfully presumptuous but either way, I was thinking about this in a round about way last night, and Im thinking that things really took a turn after Sandy Hook-also presumptuous, but I am a little closer to the subject matter at hand.... The majority of people like to presume its one persons doing- rather than the negligence of our society as a whole. It felt as though we were united as ever after 9/11- but the choosing sides thing came about when the government proposed new gun legislation. IMO- that is how the division started. It snowballed big time from there. Arrogance on all sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My question wasn't so much a comparison as an explanation of why you thought as you did. "Greatest" is a bit like asking people what they think of the weather. A farmer probably won't give the same answer as a vacationer.

Countries are just areas where people live. What makes them good, OK or bad almost always depends on who's "in charge".
    Gordon, is this by your house? Crazy & Powerfull Tractor Pulling Builds | Tractor Pulling Denmark - YouTube I was at a shop in Fort Wayne, Indiana Saturday to drop off some parts and there were pictures of these tractor pullers in the office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    Gordon, is this by your house? Crazy & Powerfull Tractor Pulling Builds | Tractor Pulling Denmark - YouTube I was at a shop in Fort Wayne, Indiana Saturday to drop off some parts and there were pictures of these tractor pullers in the office.
    Looks like the Danes in that clip were having way more fun than we'd normally credit . . . who knew?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    I've been to a couple of those and they are fun and highly competitive. Usually most of the contestants are from north European countries. Takes up less space than required for a race track

The local track here is less than 10 miles from where I live. As to those that compete then "You don't have to be mad but it helps" comes to mind

This is "our" local track.
    Denmark Egtved - Tractorpulling 13/�6/�9 #5 - YouTube

This track is about 15 miles away.
    Pro Stock 3,5t @ Brande DK 215 Tractor Pulling - YouTube

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Looks like the Danes in that clip were having way more fun than we'd normally credit . . . who knew?
    As to what is "fun" is open to discussion but most schools have this now and then.

Resen Skole lob for Team Rynkeby-lobet - YouTube

and approaching Christmas:

Santa Lucia 28 - YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    I'll put $100 into the hands of almost anyone here to hold the stakes : go into a bank where you are not known. Get a $500 cashier's check. You can't.
    Most business owners with a high credit rating could easily win that bet. I know I could, but I wouldn't even pick up the phone for $100.