OT- Is this a great country or what. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm from Chicago where the voting motto was always jokingly "Vote Early-Vote Often." Another standing joke was "When I die bury me in Cook County so I can still vote." Love him or hate him Trump got a lot of people pissed off enough to come out and vote. WSJ said that in the last election only 48% of college age voters turned out. The Deans at Harvard and Yale are having a contest to see which school has a better voter turn out. Loser has to wear the opponents jersey at their annual football game. As far as the Spanish thing, don't ever forget where you came from, it's your heritage. But, remember where you are too. Worked with a guy who's wife lived here for upwards of 40 years still barely spoke English. Wrong? Not for me to decide but if you came here for a better life, "When in Rome...." I personally don't speak Spanish my daughter is fluent in Spanish. She enlightened the Old Man the other day. She's in the Medical field. The dangers of misdiagnosed illnesses because of a language barrier of both sides of the stethoscope. Yes it is a great country! God Bless The USA. (Is it PC to say God on this website?)

2. Likes Gordon B. Clarke, Trboatworks liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

True about the primary language. I am not offended. Realize that before Spanish many Native Americans had their own language. The Spanish took a lot of California yet could not keep it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I voted at 4:15pm and they were already out of stickers.

Kinda disappointing, but I guess it means good voter turnout.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    True about the primary language. I am not offended. Realize that before Spanish many Native Americans had their own language. The Spanish took a lot of California yet could not keep it.
    I'm just delighted to see we have our essential gridlock back!

When a Federal Gov has gotten to where it can't do anything good for the population? Just when was that? Hoover administration and thereafter, was it?

Next best thing is that they be so gridlocked they can't do bad so rapidly EITHER!

F*x news- Pelosi is already back to business as usual:
    Nancy Pelosi lays out vision for Dem-controlled House: 'It's about stopping the GOP'
    Good to hear it! GOP corpse were barely still drawing breath, anyway, but still, any embalming is a good embalming.

Investigate, agitate, throw shite, gunite each other's morbid arses into stiffened immobility, brag all aboudit ..but please Dear Lord, don't anybody pass any more legislation, least of all spending. Or of ANY OTHER kind.

Got so much legislation now it is going rotten for lack of any usefulness to it.

Business world is pleased.

The American voter moves in mysterious ways, given no man's life nor property are safe when Congress can actually AGREE on kinky-f**kery!

Congress-critters are kept busy grudge fragging each other up various dirt roads, keeps their greedy ignorant fingers off the economy

Can't get "libertarian" to work? Settle for "stagnatarian", eventually pave the fossilized parasites for another bleedin' Walmart carpark, and roll-in a new set of expendable parasites to keep 'em away from the kids, kitchen larder, and yer wallet. Would you lend your tools or yer truck to any of these critters?

It's a Federal Republic, dammit!

Why the Hell did the States ever let the bleedin' kitchen staff and short-contract chef cook get to thinking they were meant to be running the whole estate instead of sticking to the menu, anyway?

Great day!

6. Likes Spinit, magneticanomaly liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This springs to mind:

“Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the earth.”
    -Archimedes of Syracuse

I have always taken that to speak to the role of governance to business.
    ‘Help to create that place where we can work.’
    A common crisis of course-
    Censure or aid..... most weigh in on how government should act towards how that lever influences society.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    This springs to mind:

“Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the earth.”
    -Archimedes of Syracuse

I have always taken that to speak to the role of governance to business.
    ‘Help to create that place where we can work.’
    A common crisis of course-
    Censure or aid..... most weigh in on how government should act towards how that lever influences society.
    "Most" reg'lar folks only even survive because the Congress-critters and Whiteouthouse get the lever and the place to stand, then we are WISE enough to go and HIDE the damned fulcrum for it and keep moving it about so they never quite manage to find it. Not that they much hunt for it. Too busy divvying the lever into pickaxe lengths and forever bludgeoning each other with the broken bits of it.

Keeps the buggers off MY watermelon, richer man already this morning, markets just opened, so "whatever works..."

9. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    You live in Virginia.
    Still waiting for cites.

In any case the constitution says citizens have the right to vote.
    Your little dig is an attempt to take away a fundamental constitutional right because someone talks funny.
    I lived in Riverside Ca for for 17 years, there were "Votar Aqui" signs on the polling places where I voted from 1994-2011.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Your little dig is an attempt to take away a fundamental constitutional right because someone talks funny.
    Be grateful we cannot take away YOURS because you speak only hate-mongering nonsense that is NEVER funny.

Trade your opportunistic-sound-bite ass for a small sized bottle of GraceKennedy's best Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce in a New York Minute!

Them has honest CHARACTER as well as consistency and some actual usefulness about them!

12. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    "Most" reg'lar folks only even survive because the Congress-critters and Whiteouthouse get the lever and the place to stand, then we are WISE enough to go and HIDE the damned fulcrum for it and keep moving it about so they never quite manage to find it. Not that they much hunt for it. Too busy divvying the lever into pickaxe lengths and forever bludgeoning each other with the broken bits of it.

Keeps the buggers off MY watermelon, richer man already this morning, markets just opened, so "whatever works..."
    Bill you do have a way with words.
    More deep culture springs forwards...:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=buvSIrFi0Hw

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill you do have a way with words.
    More deep culture springs forwards...:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=buvSIrFi0Hw
    Ever notice you can easily read text at a thousand words a minute - or waay more - but cinema dasn't even run at 300 words a minute?

A still picture can be worth a thousand words, but once you add motion it seldom makes the million word value it would need to justify any utility.

My 'puterbox isn't even set up to utilize You Tube atall. I'll be "blind" to that link, but long-term, I'm the better for it.

"Life is too damned short" thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh it was just a bit of Mel Brooks humor in Young Frankenstein.

“Ze riot is a horrible thing....”

Gallows humor..lol

I prefer longer term tragedies.
    It just seems impossible to joke about terminal moraines and have ANYONE get the humor...

Try this:

One glacier to another:

“Why’d ya turn back?”
    “We were out of rocks..”

Lol

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh it was just a bit of Mel Brooks humor in Young Frankenstein.

“Ze riot is a horrible thing....”

Gallows humor..lol

I prefer longer term tragedies.
    It just seems impossible to joke about terminal moraines and have ANYONE get the humor...

Try this:

“Why’d ya turn back?”
    “We were out of rocks..”

Lol
    "Mel Brooks humour" is an oxymoron.

You were aware my Dad - he of the Locke level addiction - was a Geologist?

Talk about jokes as dumb as a box of rocks?

His idea of a fast-moving "action novel" was titled "The Law of Coal, Oil, and Gas".

It's all relative. Or relativistic.

You want "long term" just have a look at how long it takes to get ready to make a granite surface plate.

Or how very, very, much older yet every element heavier that Iron has to be, given how they are made. In the shock wave. Only. Of a star gone nova. At the end of its long life. Not in the "active" lifetime and core of the star itself.

17. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The day this happens then there would be no doubt that the USA was the greatest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails donkey.jpg  

19. Likes Bobw, gmach10 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    The day this happens then there would be no doubt that the USA was the greatest.
    Wot? Getting Dumbocrap Asses to eat Ripofflican Elephant shit as a team?

Yeah. I could see buying tickets to watch that.

Or the reverse. Same day, different lies.

Meanwhile, getting a Donkey and an Elephant into the same harness is easily as unlikely in Congress as it is in the real world.

I'm good with that.

Same as the unwashed lass who dined naked. Kept the horseflies off the watermelon.

"Run what yah got!"

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wot? Getting Dumbocrap Asses to eat Ripofflican Elephant shit as a team?

Yeah. I could see buying tickets to watch that.

Or the reverse. Same day, different lies.

Meanwhile, getting a Donkey and an Elephant into the same harness is easily as unlikely in Congress as it is in the real world.

I'm good with that.

Same as the unwashed lass who dined naked. Kept the horseflies off the watermelon.

"Run what yah got!"
    You've got to be better than that.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm just delighted to see we have our essential gridlock back!
    Gridlock is not a bad thing at all, and was deliberately built in by the Founders. The one branch that has been exempt from that constraint for a long time is the judiciary. Its role has been unconstitutionally aggrandized to legislative in all but name, and that has been almost exclusively to the advantage of the left. With a firm majority in the Senate after yesterday, however, the path is clear for confirmation of Trump's list of appointees, and they will influence federal law for decades.

Nancy Pelosi can squander the rest of her days on impeachment; without the Senate it can't go anywhere.

23. Likes digger doug, SND liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Nancy Pelosi can squander the rest of her days on impeachment; without the Senate it can't go anywhere.
    I'm actually not fussed if an impeachment happens. Big Corp fired f**k-ups all the time. Even so, it would be a waste of resources as well as a distraction.

She used to ANNOY the living piss out of me.. until I realized just how VALUABLE a congenital squanderer really IS to keeping the mischief-makers in perpetual disarray with one noisy public "crusade" after another.

In the fullness of time, we may even find she has been on the Riplofflican payroll her entire political career so as to guarantee a disadvantage!

If the Dems had a lick of sense - or actually WANTED to DO anything useful instead of just seeking publicity and creds for the IDEA of a thing they could never actually make WORK, and dare not be seen to have even tried too hard at?

They'd replace her with someone who'd cut deals to get s**t done.

Thankfully, their exhibiting anything resembling a lick of sense is about as likely as Trump going silent and becoming as wise as Solomon.

We have our gridlock umbrella back.

We can now safely go and do as Franklin suggested:

"mind our own business(es)". And pay OUR bills.
    Last edited by thermite; 11-07-2018 at 02:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

''Is this a great country or what.''

Speaking purely as an outsider looking in, let's just say ;- It doesn't look too special.

PS, and before anybody starts, IMO the UK looks pretty grim as well.

26. Likes sfriedberg, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    PS, and before anybody starts, IMO the UK looks pretty grim as well.
    Ah, well... same-old-same-old balancing act as the LAST fifteen thousand years. Or even before the channel got wet, yah?

Downside is its heavily invested with a multi-ethnic population, edge to edge.

Upside is that it is peopled by a multi-ethnic population, border to border.

Hard to WIN at that sort of divisiveness, but yah can't exactly LOSE, either!

Not so far, and it HAS been rather a long time, already. F***k's sake, even in the Broads? Sussex? Whom ever wudda thunk EITHER of those?

Prehistoric Britain - Wikipedia

And here I once thot "prehistoric" meant Maggie's shift on watch?

"And what would the Prime Minister and her cabinet care to select for dinner, Mum?"

"I'll have the carvery, if you please."

"And for the vegetables?"

"Don't bother asking them. They'll have the same."

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Another condescending liberal calling people names, nothing new. I lived in California for 50 years, where do you get your information about California from?
    As a Californian who has lived here for 50 years I would like to point out that gustafson's comment was on point.