OT- Is this a great country or what. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post

Speaking purely as an outsider looking in, let's just say ;- It doesn't look too special.
    So you have a entire planet to pick from and admit warts at home.
    Which is your "Great country" and why don't you move there?
    You don't get to say there are no great, nirvana does not exists for the living.
    Name the better places.
    Bob

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    You don't get to say there are no great, nirvana does not exists for the living.
    Name the better places.
    Bob
    Another "Bob" went a lookin':
    "Katmandu" - YouTube

3. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    As a Californian who has lived here for 50 years I would like to point out that gustafson's comment was on point.
    You live in NoCal, different world from SoCal where I lived.

5. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two sides which include the majority of the Country (US) then some independents are what there is. The traditional balancing of the President has happened so that is ok. Trump will be TRUMP and he has had a steady path like it or not. Shock is old news because he has been the same.

We will see what happens but do not expect a big change from TRUMP. The news media is being attacked and their reaction just digs the hole deeper.

All this will distract from the good things that can be agreed upon and done for the country. I believe it all deserves a honest try.

News people do as their boss wishes to keep their jobs. They reflect one view (potus) and the news voices in opposition to the Pres are another force. No surprise to me at all.

Jeff Sessions resigns. The plot thickens, what is next?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is next? Rose stein taking Sessions place?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    1. With a firm majority in the Senate after yesterday, however, the path is clear for confirmation of Trump's list of appointees, and they will influence federal law for decades.

2. Nancy Pelosi can squander the rest of her days on impeachment; without the Senate it can't go anywhere.
    ad 1. When you have a political supreme court (and you do) then things don't look good.

ad 2. I doubt if that's the only thing she'll be wanting to do. Must admit after all this time I am curious as to why he's do secretive about his taxes.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I go home today I want to see all those political signs removed and recycled.

10. Likes neilho, Midas969 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    When I go home today I want to see all those political signs removed and recycled.
    You did document where the other side's where ?

A handy "Map O Hood" could come in handy in the future....

12. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    do not expect a big change from TRUMP.
    There could be, and should be, actually.

He looked set to be seen by 2020 the distasteful and perhaps entirely accidental hero of a major economic recovery, unemployment drop, beginning of rising household income too long morbid.

The dems now have two whole years to reduce, freeze, if not also destroy by reversing, that trend before the next Presidential election. He'll be to blame, so a 2d term will probably not even be SOUGHT. That's good. I just hope the economic price is not too onerous.

All this will distract from the good things that can be agreed upon and done for the country. I believe it all deserves a honest try.
    It isn't really about honesty or lack thereof in Congress. Not that it has ever been in surplus, but some of our worst scoundrels have actually managed to do good things. Britain, more pragmatic, treats "operators" as assets and confers life peerages on her best scoundrels rather than risk the nation being savaged by FOREIGN scoundrels.

No longer. Neither side still knows HOW to seek the "try" part. Too fixated on screwing the other "side" for the NEXT election.

"Getting elected" or re-elected, is all they do now.

Look at Obama. 8 years in office, nothing left for him to "win" after election to a second term. Yet he spent most of his time even to the very end of his second term still "campaigning" to beat the GOP and f**k up their future. He did NOT do anything useful nor positive to improve the future prospects of his OWN party. Those chickens came home to roost for his party, just as Trump's have NOW.

BTW - Barry H hasn't quit doing that YET, even where as toxic to dems as Trump is to Reps. He was only ever "one guy", his staff were meant to TAKE direction, not GIVE it, so where would he have found time to do anything else, anyway?

Trump is at least impartial. And he has better staff.
    Mostly because they know he cannot be trusted, so MUST be minded closely to undo at least part of the damage as was not prevented.

The "impartial" because he works equally hard to damage BOTH parties.

Worse things could have happened, yah?

What if he had actually been a statesman, sufficiently inclusive and level-headed to have had support of BOTH parties rather than not even the one?

Yet was just as much the nutter, simply out of our sight?

Benito Mussolini was what? Over 20 years in power?

I don't think we need even a second helping of sesame stir-fried grommet-lips.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    All signs are gone here.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As a Californian who has lived here for 50 years I would like to point out that gustafson's comment was on point.
    The disagreement points out that even more so the late J.V.R. Bottomley's observation, then:

California is akin to a bowl of Bircher-Muesli. Them what ain't fruits is flakes, and those as ain't flakes are nuts.
    What John left out, of course was that "any combination or all of the above" was equally probable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Name the better places.
    Bob
    New Zealand. OK it's a flyspeck, it's still a better place to live than the USA or the UK.

PDW

17. Likes daryl bane liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Name the better places.
    Bob
    I could but it'd piss you off

I've been to many countries (well over 60), enjoyed most, but always like to get back home.

What's "best" is an individual taste so there is no right answer.

19. Likes adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    You live in NoCal, different world from SoCal where I lived.
    Grew up in SoCal and half my family and friends still live there. In fact, I probably know the entire state better than you ever did. To call NoCal a different world than SoCal is, in a word, idiotic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Grew up in SoCal and half my family and friends still live there. In fact, I probably know the entire state better than you ever did. To call NoCal a different world than SoCal is, in a word, idiotic.
    I have been called an idiot many times by liberals on the internet and even by people close to me. I have all challenged them to an I.Q. test, yet they will never take one. Why is that? I am sick of liberals calling people stupid who do not share their views, yet being unwilling to prove how smart they are. If someone thinks SoCal and NoCal are similar what city in NoCal is like Los Angeles? We are talking, population, crime rate, gangs, etc,etc.

P.S. Let us also throw in political leanings, what large liberal cesspool in NoCal like San Francisco can you find in SoCal?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldwrench View Post
    Its role has been unconstitutionally aggrandized to legislative in all but name, and that has been almost exclusively to the advantage of the left.
    Au contraire, monsewer, I present Citizens United, Dred Scott et al. They've been pretty flocked up in a rightward tendency as well.

Between the Detroit Supremes and the Worshington ones, I'll take Detroit.

Nancy Pelosi can squander the rest of her days on impeachment; without the Senate it can't go anywhere.
    Yup. That stupid hag carpetbagger from Baltimore, not a representative of California, will do exactly that. I wish the harpy contingent (Nancy, Dianne, et al) would hurry up and croak so perhaps the Democrats would regroup to come up with a plan more worthwhile than "we hate Trump ! He's a meany "

So far, they have no one to blame but themselves.

Speaking of the constitution, it would be nice if both parties learned to read. But maybe all the big words therein are too difficult for them. All they seem to understand is the numbers in their slush funds.

@Bob - China is actually pretty good. Except for being swamped with 1.4 billion people and not very great scenery, it's actually a nicer place to live and work. You do get pretty sick of Chinese food tho. If I had to choose forever, I'd go China. They don't micromanage your life the way the US does.

I wonder how much of Trump's popularity comes from people being sick to death of every single portion of life being controlled by some ignorant twat busybody with a tin star ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    New Zealand. OK it's a flyspeck, it's still a better place to live than the USA or the UK.

PDW
    Wait until the word gets out, the population piles one on top of the other and things go sour.

Spending time with people makes me appreciate the dog more and more.

24. Likes adama, Bobw liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Name the better places.
    Bob
    Not quite an entire planet. Antarctica is a non-starter. So are places like South Georgia.

Lugano, CH, when you decide all Campione d'Italia really be is a mausoleum.

Brientz or Ringen, CH, but not Interlaaken. Just shop there.

Santander, Cantabria, Gijon, Aviles, Oviedo in Asturias, basically in that order.

Punta del Este, Uruguay

Vinha del mar, Chile

Dali, Earhai Lake, China

Atami, Japan

We are retired. Job is not a factor. Politics are who gives a shit.

That is about two percent of it. How long a list would you like?

Why not move there? Not three hours ago, we were asking ourselves, not for the first time, why not, indeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that why there was a recent proposal to divide the "bear republic". ? I mean because everyone in californication thinks so much alike?

I lived there for a while myself. The eldest son was born there. I'm not unhappy to be on the other edge of the continent.
    I

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    If your primary language is Spanish and you live in California you are most likely here illegally.
    Or you decided you just dislike your neighbor more than you can express in English and hence need a wider vocabulary. Its the bit i use to like about working with the polish, if the machine went wrong, some of them would swear at it in at least 4 different languages. For reasons i have never fully grasped, but its mostly us English morons that can only speak the one language.

FYI Japanese machinery does not respond to swear words in English, polish, Spanish or french. But it can sure piss off a English man and his foreign work force when it wants to be a ass!

Just think, if you had not voted Trump in last time instead of a sticker you possibly could have had sensible priced health care and maybe a little respect left in the rest of the world for the great old USA.