OT- Is this a great country or what. - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 111
  1. #81
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    7,747
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    269
    Likes (Received)
    1663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    We'd have been better-off she had brought back smallpox or Polio. ....

    Obamacare didn't wrestle US healthcare out of the control of organized crime.

    It just SUBSIDIZED the thieves....

    In my view, all that right there ^^^^ above.
    'Nuff said, but the Rozens won't get it it, no matter what.

  2. Likes digger doug liked this post
  3. #82
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    4,461
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2116
    Likes (Received)
    1956

    Default

    Be happy folks. At least the members of the White House Press Corps won't be asking any embarrasing questions to the president.

  4. Likes Spinit, Greg White liked this post
  5. #83
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    270
    Likes (Received)
    1091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 72bwhite View Post
    ...pointing out the disproportionate representation in the Senate.
    and then you have Texas who gets really screwed, big area and big population and still only 2 Senators.
    South Dakota and Texas have exactly the same representation in the Senate, which is what the Framers intended. In our Federal system, every State has equal standing under the Constitution.

    The House was setup to represent the interests of people, the Senate was setup to represent interests of the States. Each set of interests given equal weight in the legislative process.

    You want to turn the Senate into another House by making Senators proportional to the population. What's the point? Why not just abolish the Senate altogether? Why pay for 2 houses of Congress that do the same thing?

  6. Likes Spinit, adh2000 liked this post
  7. #84
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    22,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    7122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr 98 View Post
    Spoken like a true subject of the crown. Sorry, but not sorry, I will not bend the knee.

    Well, maybe. Only to shorten my sillouette while putting sights on Redcoats and calling in CAS.

    Listening to Brits in any conversation that involves rights, freedom or respect is akin to listening to a nun talk about sex.

    You simply have none.
    Bullshit. Last time a King dared FUCK with the rights of strong-minded Englishmen a direct ancestor of mine arrested his ass, and personally tested the sharpness of the headsman's axe that shortened his stature after Parliament condemned him to death.

    The Colonel once described as "Perhaps the finest Cavalryman in all of Europe" managed to live another thirteen years, and go to HIS grave knowing the NEW King as had him hanged had to deal with a genuine Parliamentary Democracy on much more limited terms as have steadily grown stronger, ever since. Our modern Monarchy actually have jobs to look after, and they add value and relieve others of worrying about them. Running the country has not been on their list for a long time, now. That is for an elected Parliament and its Ministers to see to.

    They should f**k it up badly enough, we can and DO shorten their term "real soon, now" as well, no need to let them have a full term whilst we suffer.

    Imperfect? Yah. Surely it is. But it works "well enough" we've kept it in-use. Brussels is but a short-term nuisance compared to the depth of those years.

    Count on the Brits to be one HELL of a lot more self-reliant as decision-makers than you have yet noticed.

    WTF do you think UKUSA AKA FVEY or "Five Eyes" reflects? A common heritage, mostly. Argue we may do, and without end, the lot of us. Lather, rinse, repeat.

    But when there's slaughter to be done, we call in EACH OTHER'S shared artillery and CAS, Naval and ground assets, mate, and more wars than just a few, already, together as Brothers in arms.

    Get your head out. It ain't 1815 any longer!

  8. #85
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    270
    Likes (Received)
    1091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    ...WTF do you think UKUSA AKA FVEY or "Five Eyes" reflects?
    Even back in the days of ECHALON it was an open secret that governments were using it to spy on their own populations. 5-eyes is no different.

    CIA guy says to his MI6 pal at the next desk- "Gee, I wonder what Joe Smith is up to." Well, Joe Smith is an America citizen- you need a warrant. MI6 doesn't need that warrant, and they are all using the same databases, so click-click...

    Whenever I hear "working on a tip from a foreign intelligence agency", I know what that means.

    I am sure there is actual intelligence sharing, but I am also sure there are abuses going on.

  9. #86
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    22,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    7122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    I am sure there is actual intelligence sharing, but I am also sure there are abuses going on.
    Also some seriously FUNNY realities. Strip "a certain facility" to LESS than bare walls, ship a short ton of "Five Eyes ONLY" shit out of Hong Kong, try to play dumber than dumb as if it had never existed as the "handover" back to mainland Chinese control from British Crown Colony progresses.

    Then in strolls the new PRC Chinese minder, knowing EXACTLY whom the "players" were to go and have a word with, and in American-accented English with a casual, "Hey guys, can you show me where you cut the cables so I can hook up MY new gear in that room?"

    No more concern than if asking for the keys to the janitor's closet to go fetch an ignorant string-mop!

    And not even the least bit of rancor or unpleasantry over what they had been about in THEIR jobs. "Brothers in arms" of a different sort. By skilled trade or profession.

    Government "watching" is taken for granted, y'see. Many thousands of years, already. Just deal with that, do what you can to keep it within affordable costs and pointed at the actual threats. You really do not want to become one.


  10. #87
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    dallas,tx
    Posts
    2,419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    463
    Likes (Received)
    412

    Default

    Just got back from New Zealand....very nice. Never watched the tube, but seemed like the only things on were cricket and rugby...no Trump...loved it. It was at the end of their winter, so not many tourists. Spectacularly beautiful and seemed like a happy place. Tipping is not customary or expected, so that was a pleasant surprise. I think a high minimum wage and good universal healthcare has something to with that.

  11. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
  12. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    22,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    7122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daryl bane View Post
    Just got back from New Zealand....very nice. Never watched the tube, but seemed like the only things on were cricket and rugby...no Trump...loved it. It was at the end of their winter, so not many tourists. Spectacularly beautiful and seemed like a happy place. Tipping is not customary or expected, so that was a pleasant surprise. I think a high minimum wage and good universal healthcare has something to with that.
    It is indeed lovely. Mostly. You'd have to have been there longer to become aware of Maori / European stresses, perceived fairness or lack thereof as to taxation and social services, a pervasive low-level drug culture, far too many petty crimes, and dodgy fairness as to dealing with both as to chronic offenders. Population are still mortal humans, after all, not the kingdom of the elves portrayed in movies made there!

    ALL of the Kiwi I have know well, however, were/are either expats, in their best "working years" from new Uni grads I had on-staff in London in the Finance and IS/IT fields, to much the same again, highly educated and legendary competent in high-tech engineering, IS/IT in Hong Kong as business partners and solid assets, growing grey haired and bald.

    They had to get up and get out of NZ to find faster-moving opportunity, and a better shot at it, than a small and remoted economy had enough OF to go around. More competent people than enough challenging work FOR them.

    The fewer others are those who had already MADE their fortunes, then had the privilege of retiring to NZ to enjoy a nice life, clean air, the best and cleanest fresh seafood anywhere but Chile - if the Asian factory ships have not hoovered it all up, either place.



    Priorities. We all have to deal with our own, NZ no exception.

  13. Likes digger doug liked this post
  14. #89
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    18,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3749
    Likes (Received)
    14386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daryl bane View Post
    Just got back from New Zealand....very nice. Never watched the tube, but seemed like the only things on were cricket and rugby...no Trump...loved it. It was at the end of their winter, so not many tourists. Spectacularly beautiful and seemed like a happy place. Tipping is not customary or expected, so that was a pleasant surprise. I think a high minimum wage and good universal healthcare has something to with that.
    I've found that in countries where tipping is normal it's because wages for the types of jobs that rely on tips is low.

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    22,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    7561
    Likes (Received)
    7122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I've found that in countries where tipping is normal it's because wages for the types of jobs that rely on tips is low.
    Oy!

    Must be the first person as even noticed that profundity, too, yah?

    You want a certificate of appreciation? Or a mind that can understand why it would be silly?

  16. #91
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    barcelona, spain
    Posts
    2,286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    464
    Likes (Received)
    1273

    Default

    Whatever the reasons the US popula voted in great numbers, and the results are what they are.

    The elections had high turnouts and good results in lots of new people, and women, entering government, with less entrenched interests.
    And a check/balances government, which is probably and historically a good thing.

    It means people in power need to work together even if they are opposed on political issues.
    This leads to deals, to better understanding, to more compromise.

    I suspect the "pork" is the same overall with "deals" as with one side getting to dictate everything and giving the pork to their buddies only.
    I also suspect neither political party is especially better in reducing waste or pork overall as a % of funding.

    My personal pov has always been that increased spending in education and national infrastructure makes profits.

    More educated people, no matter what they are educated in, produce more results per lifetime and pay more taxes.
    Better ports and railways and more trade increases wealth to a great extent.
    More refined products like distilled petroleum makes more wealth than shipping raw oil.

    E:
    Like shipping raw iron ore to china, like australia did for last 20 years. Crazy.
    It gave australia huge income short term and very high paying jobs in huge quantity.
    Crazy.
    The money was spent and wages went crazy and all normal production became impossible due to wages of workers.
    And the iron ore was somewhat spent, and now what ?

    Now the workers are not high tech skilled, there is no normal production work, there is little normal industry.
    And everything is crazy expensive.

    What australia should have done was refine all the ore, build high tech steels and alloys, ship those, and make an industry shipping higher value steel components and products globally.
    Education infrastructure and real value vs short term resource exploitation.

    E:
    The Trump tax cuts were a huge economic hit, 1T$, to the US on a macro level midterm.
    A massive tremendous error.
    1 T$ of unfunded debt that cannot be paid and will start to be due in about 5-7 years.
    So the stock market goes up, for now, debt and gearing goes up on a macro level.
    Everyone gets to spend more, for a few years.
    Then what ?

    For now, the US enjoys extra prosperity, work, spending essentially funded on the national credit card.
    And most of the money goes to the rich 1% owning stocks.

    The 1% get taxed less and thus reduce the future profits of the nation overall via impoverishing the 99%.

    There is no doubt that the Trump tax cuts and massive mil/gov spending have created jobs and short term wealth in the USA.
    The costs of the temporary spending are very high, and soon the debts will be at the level of greece.
    About 7-12 years, at this rate.

  17. Likes Bobw, Greg White liked this post
  18. #92
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    dallas,tx
    Posts
    2,419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    463
    Likes (Received)
    412

    Default

    One thing I didn't mention was, and I understand this is a relativity recent situation, was there really seemed to be a huge effort to mend the Maori/European rift. Be it long overdue reparations and Native language appreciation, it seemed to span all spectrum of both races. I understand the Maori language is now required in schools, and original Maori names of places supplanting the later English ones in daily vernacular, and official maps.

  19. Likes fusker liked this post
  20. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    11,992
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    18503
    Likes (Received)
    6285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daryl bane View Post
    One thing I didn't mention was, and I understand this is a relativity recent situation, was there really seemed to be a huge effort to mend the Maori/European rift. Be it long overdue reparations and Native language appreciation, it seemed to span all spectrum of both races. I understand the Maori language is now required in schools, and original Maori names of places supplanting the later English ones in daily vernacular, and official maps.
    Sounds more like pandering.

    I'm sure there will be "Reparations" as well.

    Gotta pay out some cash eh ?

  21. #94
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    18,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3749
    Likes (Received)
    14386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Sounds more like pandering.

    I'm sure there will be "Reparations" as well.

    Gotta pay out some cash eh ?
    You're one of those types I've never met IRL in the USA. Thank God.

  22. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Milwaukee,WI
    Posts
    1,094
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8949
    Likes (Received)
    789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Whatever the reasons the US popula voted in great numbers, and the results are what they are.

    The elections had high turnouts and good results in lots of new people, and women, entering government, with less entrenched interests.
    And a check/balances government, which is probably and historically a good thing.

    It means people in power need to work together even if they are opposed on political issues.
    This leads to deals, to better understanding, to more compromise.

    I suspect the "pork" is the same overall with "deals" as with one side getting to dictate everything and giving the pork to their buddies only.
    I also suspect neither political party is especially better in reducing waste or pork overall as a % of funding.
    You know little of how things work in the US. Work together? Politics | FOX6Now.com Scott Walker just lost the election and instead of working together they are trying to pass bills to limit the new governor's power.

  23. #96
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Australia (Hobart)
    Posts
    3,341
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    448
    Likes (Received)
    2343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanermo View Post
    Like shipping raw iron ore to china, like australia did for last 20 years. Crazy.
    It gave australia huge income short term and very high paying jobs in huge quantity.
    Crazy.
    The money was spent and wages went crazy and all normal production became impossible due to wages of workers.
    And the iron ore was somewhat spent, and now what ?

    Now the workers are not high tech skilled, there is no normal production work, there is little normal industry.
    And everything is crazy expensive.

    What australia should have done was refine all the ore, build high tech steels and alloys, ship those, and make an industry shipping higher value steel components and products globally.
    Education infrastructure and real value vs short term resource exploitation.
    You're far from the first to make that observation.

    One of the *major* problems with it was and is domestic protection.

    How long do you think we'd have lasted if we were undercutting and supplanting the EU and USA steel mills? Let alone China and India.

    When there are no import quotas and tariffs, there might be some hope. For us, no leverage against the big players.

    I'd much rather we could value-add but I'll take what I can get. The EU is higher on my shit-list than the USA is, quite frankly, when it comes to arrant protectionism.

    PDW

  24. #97
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    DENMARK
    Posts
    18,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3749
    Likes (Received)
    14386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    You know little of how things work in the US. Work together? Politics | FOX6Now.com Scott Walker just lost the election and instead of working together they are trying to pass bills to limit the new governor's power.
    It's your political system that needs rethinking. Everything is, and has been for years, "them vs us" and "we against them". It's getting worse, not better, and probably many like me are wondering "WTF is going on?"

    As a TV show it'd be a cliff hanger every week but it isn't (or shouldn't be) a TV show.

  25. #98
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    6,603
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    638
    Likes (Received)
    2052

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    It's your political system that needs rethinking. Everything is, and has been for years, "them vs us" and "we against them". It's getting worse, not better, and probably many like me are wondering "WTF is going on?"

    As a TV show it'd be a cliff hanger every week but it isn't (or shouldn't be) a TV show.
    It's not only the US.

    Have a read of a worthwhile book. It's not long.:
    The Road to Wigan Pier - Wikipedia

    Nothing unique about the US situation.

  26. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California, Ventura county
    Posts
    1,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    235
    Likes (Received)
    564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    South Dakota and Texas have exactly the same representation in the Senate, which is what the Framers intended. In our Federal system, every State has equal standing under the Constitution.

    The House was setup to represent the interests of people, the Senate was setup to represent interests of the States. Each set of interests given equal weight in the legislative process.

    You want to turn the Senate into another House by making Senators proportional to the population. What's the point? Why not just abolish the Senate altogether? Why pay for 2 houses of Congress that do the same thing?
    just pointing out they must have been smoking something when making up the states,
    or more likely who bribed who for what ever reason.

  27. #100
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California, Ventura county
    Posts
    1,380
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    235
    Likes (Received)
    564

    Default

    kind of a wild day here got fires north and south
    and a mass shooting a few miles to the east


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
2