What's new
What's new

OT Just bought an English made toaster

norb

Cast Iron
Like the title says, I just bought a toaster assembled in England after an exhausting search trying to find an American made toaster. It is very sad you cannot buy many things "Made in America" anymore. The best option was a toaster assembled in England. It was expensive but I am sure it will not wind up in a landfill in a few months and I don't believe the English people will be dropping an atomic bomb on our heads anytime soon unlike the chicoms. Please buy American, or at least from our friends. We must wake up and stop "sawing off the limb we are sitting on."

Just this afternoon, I refused to purchase from the FLAPS, (friendly local auto parts store) the store brand electric fuel pump that was fabriqué en Chine.

The "hecho en Mexico" unit will be in tomorrow morning.

The A/C Delco unit is just a re-lable of the latter.

Hmm, I just looked at the toaster on the counter.
GE brand (True American!)
Walmart version... Made in China.

No wonder I have always hated the damn thing! It's got one of those slow press, slow pop up gizmos that just aggravates the piss out making toast.

People do not want to pay what real quality costs. I bought an all stainless steel Russel Hobbs kettle in 1989 in England. It will boil a liter of water in 3 minutes. It is still in use today 32 years later. I paid around 60 Pounds Sterling then. It has been well worth the cost. Sure, there are lots of kettles for less money, but not with this quality.

There are 600 dollar toasters on that site

People pay, corporations want the extra cash that building in China offers

There is one fancy 300 dollar toaster there that i do not own but know is built in China

Tell me you cannot at least assemble a 300 dollar toaster in the US

Like the title says, I just bought a toaster assembled in England after an exhausting search trying to find an American made toaster. It is very sad you cannot buy many things "Made in America" anymore. The best option was a toaster assembled in England. It was expensive but I am sure it will not wind up in a landfill in a few months and I don't believe the English people will be dropping an atomic bomb on our heads anytime soon unlike the chicoms. Please buy American, or at least from our friends. We must wake up and stop "sawing off the limb we are sitting on."

What is your question ?

No question, just a plea for people to support manufacturing in a country that is not an oppressive dictatorship.

You mean your just ranting.....Note you don't really see rant threads around here eh ?.....:nutter:

Here....to solve your heartaches....just drive on down, it's less than 100 miles, be home in time for lunch:

I liked my old toastmaster. My wife made me buy a four slice toaster. It is nice she has her control and I have mine. Of course hers is them right side. Been over ten years and I still forget to turn it on occasionally. The automatic toastmaster spoiled me. My Mom's 1952 toastmaster was still going strong in 2020.
Not sure if they make the automatic toasters or if they are all manual now.
Bill D

I agree, it's an uphill battle.

My back-up plan is to make toast like my grandmother did. Cookie sheet in the oven while she was making the coffee in a non-percolating kettle on the stove. You don't want to be the last guy up and get the last cup of coffee.

I liked my old toastmaster. My wife made me buy a four slice toaster. It is nice she has her control and I have mine. Of course hers is them right side. Been over ten years and I still forget to turn it on occasionally. The automatic toastmaster spoiled me. My Mom's 1952 toastmaster was still going strong in 2020.
Not sure if they make the automatic toasters or if they are all manual now.
Bill D

I'd never heard of a toastmaster so I checked them out.

$700 toaster!

Toastmaster Toaster 4-Slice 120V

I'm going out on a limb when I say it doesn't cost $700 with added in profit to make a toaster. Part of the problem is not that American companies have increased overhead and costs, it's that some of them are fucking greedy. Like the "US" made welders that aren't all that US made but priced way higher than China welders. I think they could be sold for less and still make a profit, but the "US" welder companies want MAX profit and use the "MADE IN USA" line to appeal to the rednecks and coerce them into thinking their doing the right thing paying the top dollar for the US welder...that contains China and Mexico components. Sucker born every minute.

-rant off.

I agree, it's an uphill battle.

A "Brava" oven is made under a Communist Regime. But at least it is Kalifornickyah, not China:

Explore The Best Smart Countertop Oven | Brava Home

A Black & Decker is still US made - Towson, MD, is it? ... and waaaay TF less expensive.

Some of the others here are actually NOT Made in USA:

https://www.tastemakermag.com/best-american-made-toaster-oven/

My Breville came in from China - but that was a couple of years before the trade embargo.

I'd never heard of a toastmaster so I checked them out.

$700 toaster!

Toastmaster Toaster 4-Slice 120V

Looks like toast master is out of the home market. I meant one like this video. The guy in the video is a toaster collector. I guess that is a thing. Notice he drops i t he bread and the toaster turns on with no hands. Claim is it senses how brown the bread get not temperature to determine doneness. Ther eis n ohandle to mov ethe bread up or down.
Bill D.

Sunbeam AT-W Radiant control adjustment and the right way to get out crumbs. - YouTube

Back