Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Strange the govt says masks are useless,but doctors are complaining they dont have enough masks to guard them......
    Masks on the masses are supposed to keep their coughing and sneezing from infecting you. Or slow it down, anyway.

Masks on hospital people should fit properly and be properly worn and all that bs and still probably don't help all that much, not like the full body suits, but if it makes hospital people happy, I can go with that.

I figure they don't present it that way because if you told people "wear a mask to keep others from getting sick" no one would do it. But tell them it keeps them from getting sick and there's a mad dash to the drug store.

Whatever works

2. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dont know how that pendulum swings up north there but down here it only goes one way.

so yeah...id say theres something amiss.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    dont know how that pendulum swings up north ...
    With bobbies in the background, two by two, of course !

5. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shopping today ,lots of Chinese around here all wearing facemasks and gloves ,rest of the shoppers have zero precaution ....I was wearing work gloves ,all my paper masks are so old the elastic has perished .....nevertheless ,with cases doubling every day now ,I wont be taking that risk again...Strange the govt says masks are useless,but doctors are complaining they dont have enough masks to guard them......Just maybe the government is lying.
    Or just maybe those doctors are going face to face with highly infectious patients, which is why they shield their eyes as well as their nose and mouth. If people are truly practicing social distancing and anyone who is sick with a respiratory illness wears a mask or better yet stays home there should be little risk.

I was in a local food market yesterday and they only allowed 25 people in the store at one time with an employee on duty at the door to ensure compliance. They had temporary markings outside the store and inside at the registers to guide people in proper spacing. The vast majority had neither masks nor gloves and the store offered wipes to use on shopping cart handles, etc. if people desired.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...Strange the govt says masks are useless,but doctors are complaining they dont have enough masks to guard them......Just maybe the government is lying.
    Yep. They are lying, but the reason is they don't want people hoarding masks when the front line health care workers need them more.

It pisses me off, just tell people the truth- but I guess some would freak out and hoard N95 masks. I told my mom don't go out in public spaces without a scarf wrapped around her face. She's 85 and on infusion, the last thing she needs is this damn bug.

It's called Personal Protective Equipment because it protects the person wearing it...duh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That right there is a tough trade off.
    Limit Joe public use (hoarding?) which might aid in slowing transmission to protect supplies for care workers who will be overwhelmed perhaps by the high case load.

Rock and a hard place eh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jancollc View Post
    Yep. They are lying, but the reason is they don't want people hoarding masks when the front line health care workers need them more.

It's called Personal Protective Equipment because it protects the person wearing it...
    Yeah, I am not amused by that bit of wordplay.

Granted doctors need to be up close and personal, so they need them more, and walking around with a mask all day for no reason is useless, but that is not the same as saying they serve no purpose

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Yeah, I am not amused by that bit of wordplay.
    Yes, well if you think it's wordplay, go whine to OSHA or whoever coined the term.

Stop being such a jackass.

11. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    That right there is a tough trade off.
    Limit Joe public use (hoarding?) which might aid in slowing transmission to protect supplies for care workers who will be overwhelmed perhaps by the high case load.

Rock and a hard place eh.
    I don't think there is any conflict. Tell people this: If you are in a high-risk group, do not go into public spaces without covering your face. A scarf or bandana is a hell of a lot better than nothing at all, people can make their own.

There are many volunteer groups are sewing bed sheets into masks for the hospitals. If they weren't useful, the hospitals would not be asking for them.

Save the commercial products for the health care people, and use home made masks for regular civvies.

13. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think there is any conflict. Tell people this: If you are in a high-risk group, do not go into public spaces without covering your face. A scarf or bandana is a hell of a lot better than nothing at all, people can make their own.

There are many volunteer groups are sewing bed sheets into masks for the hospitals. If they weren't useful, the hospitals would not be asking for them.
    One use for cloth masks is to cover the N95 masks, extending their life. The cloth can be washed and sterilized if they choose to.

15. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"I don't think there is any conflict."

Yes- if a different dialogue had been taken such as the one you present there would not be a conflict.
    As it stands there is a conflict.

But perhaps a silly discussion on my part- I know damn well a mask provides protection.
    I also know damn well that the docs need them more acutely than Joe public in any equation if there is a supply problem.

I have a vulnerable person at home- I go out with a N95 mask to keep that person out of the hospital.
    That is along Scotts line of reasoning- case by case is probably best approach if folk keep their heads.

17. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes, well if you think it's wordplay, go whine to OSHA or whoever coined the term.

Stop being such a jackass.
    I don't think you read my post

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

State governors have ordered lockdowns without consulting the orange ones dream of a disease free easter.Seems serious restriction of movement with substantial penalties is the only way to get thru to much of the population ,especially those in the under 30 age group.