What's new
What's new

OT? No question, but a cogent IEEE article on the importance of manufacturing.

PeteM

Diamond
IEEE article on the importance of manufacturing.

Advanced Economies Must Still Make Things - IEEE Spectrum

One take away: while our markets highly value the Facebooks of the world, manufacturing companies provide an order of magnitude more jobs . . .

In a quick look, I didn't find manufacturing GDP per capita for other countries beyond those in the IEEE article. But Switzerland, in addition to a much higher manufacturing GDP per capita than the US, also has about $30,000 per capita higher total GDP.

Given that Microsoft, Google, Facebook, etc. are all US companies and one assumes contribute to our GDP, the Swiss must clearly be doing something else right (one assumes, finance??). One can note (or not) the total GDP figures for Denmark and other European countries:

GDP per capita (current US$) | Data | Table

Advanced Economies Must Still Make Things - IEEE Spectrum

One take away: while our markets highly value the Facebooks of the world, manufacturing companies provide an order of magnitude more jobs . . .

In a quick look, I didn't find manufacturing GDP per capita for other countries beyond those in the IEEE article. But Switzerland, in addition to a much higher manufacturing GDP per capita than the US, also has about $30,000 per capita higher total GDP.

Given that Microsoft, Google, Facebook, etc. are all US companies and one assumes contribute to our GDP, the Swiss must clearly be doing something else right (one assumes, finance??). One can note (or not) the total GDP figures for Denmark and other European countries:

GDP per capita (current US$) | Data | Table

The Swiss, for as long as I can remember, have been famous for the following, and not prioritized:

Manufacturing high quality products.
Banking and handling money for other countries.
Staying neutral no matter what.
Cuckoo clocks.

On a side note. Just about all major decisions are put to a public vote and women weren't allowed to vote until fairly recently.

Switzerland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back