OT: Not really manufactured.......but some more outsourcing to be aware of. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I've only once eaten at a so called Western Restuarant in China and it was the worst meal i've ever had there
    DBurnette, do you sometimes go out to eat alone or do you have someone from China with you? Chopsticks are fun but a PITA when having soup

Gordon
    Yeah, western food here sucks. I typically go to meals with one of my mandarin-speaking co-workers, but I've gone on my own occasionally. I keep it simple when I do that...Just what I can point to, or use my (very, very) limited vocabulary to order...I can say some numbers, so numbered dishes are great!

The funny thing is thatI get the sense that I'm either brought a fork as a courtesy, or I'm not brought a fork because of, perhaps, xenophobia, or because I'm being tested. Forks seem almost universal in this area, and they even come in the pre-packaged instant noodles at the supermarket. I always eat with chopsticks though, which frequently gets commented on. When it does, I switch hands.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I'm wondering if any of those that have the same opinion have been to China and eaten there? There are also huge differences in the food culture depending on which part of China is visited.

I think I've eaten at a MacDonalds 5 or 6 times in my life
    That's why I feel the way I do. I lived in Asia for 5 years and have been to most of the countries, the big ones anyway...only been into mainland once and that was enough. The mentality is a lot different. chop-chop takes on a whole new meaning. Chicken soup? Everything gets chopped up, bones, meat, in fact your lucky if you don't get any feathers...lol

I don't want my family eating anything from China if I can help it. When they learn how to treat their own people with respect, I might start giving them some of my own.

I don't want any of their products if I can help it, and I don't support our Government in doing any type of business with such a country.

I would boycott them all together if I could, but it's almost impossible not to buy some things made in China.

I look at products made in China in the same light I do ms Windows...50 billion flies eating $#!T doesn't mean it tastes good...

3. Likes JoeE., 77ironhead, Peddler, adama liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gas pumper View Post
    We have this here, too. In PA, near Lancaster is a large Amish farming area. They set out their produce the same way. On the honor system. They are not making a living off the stands, just some pocket money.

Frank
    Take a closer look. A good many of such stands 'round 'ere are selling out of crates that come from clear across the US (California), or even Mexico, further south in LATAM - or even the Far East.

'Roadside' is simply no longer any assurance of 'local'.

Bill

5. Likes Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Take a closer look.
    You're telling me the acres and acres of corn I see surrounding those Amish stands in southern Michigan are merely props? I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
    You're telling me the acres and acres of corn I see surrounding those Amish stands in southern Michigan are merely props? I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you!
    Nah. I'm sayin' that when such a stand surrounded by cornfields - no orchards in sight - has apples, mango, pineapple, avocado, eggplant, and such .. as many now do .. it could well be that there is little or no connection to the backdrop. ALL of it - corn included - could be coming off the same trucks that supply the local supermarkets, and all they've done is capitalize on a busy highway location and the want for 'farm fresh'. They can command the same price - even a premium price - yet don't have the refrigeration, rent, nor lighting costs of a Safeway or such.

Places where you go into the field or orchard and pick yer own are a whole 'nuther matter, but many of those ALSO bring-in at least a portion of goods they don't have - or don't have 'in season'. And are not ordinarily cheap, either.

The Lady Wife once went a bit overboard on such at a berry farm enroute to California. Few miles later we approach the California State line and a big 'agricultural' inspection station that alloweth not the importation of any such 'foreign' goods.

Whoops. Pulled off the roadside and gorged on berries 'til we were thoroughly sick of 'em!

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DBurnette View Post
    I always eat with chopsticks though, which frequently gets commented on. When it does, I switch hands.
    LOL! My late Father-in-Law once observed that of his three Sons-in-Law 'One uses Chopsticks correctly. The other two are Chinese'.

(Clarifying) . The further from the food the grip is, the closer one is to the manners of the Imperial Court. The closer to the food the grip is, the closer to the rice paddy. Eating ice cream left-handed with chopsticks (easy) or picking up four boiled and oiled peanuts (challenging) at one go was just showing-off.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My sons first job was peeling product of Mexico stickers off tomatoes, farmer said they sold orchard boxes of apples from China cheaper than he bought new orchard boxes. ---Trevor

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by t.jones View Post
    My sons first job was peeling product of Mexico stickers off tomatoes, farmer said they sold orchard boxes of apples from China cheaper than he bought new orchard boxes. ---Trevor
    Hope he was a Juvenile. CONSUMER can do it - but a Federal offense for a merchant to conceal non-US origin, IIRC.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As to the price of produce, here in the US, it is common to see such a celery at 2 bucks a stalk in one store, 69 cents in another. I bought blackberries, last week, product of USA, for 1 buck per 6 ounce container, was at another local store, Italian specialty store, same brand and quantity, 4.99.

This week, raspberries at 1.50 per package, one store, same brand and quantity, 4.99, the Italian store. Blackberries, regular price, at the store that sold them for one buck, 2.99, the Italian Store, 4.99.

Tomatoes go for about 12 cents per pound to Heinz, who contracts with growers, and you pay 2 bucks and more IN SEASON.

I was told, some years ago, by the grocer in my local store, that he would look at and buy my tomatoes, if they met his standards. All I grow is Delicious and Sweet 100 cherries. I don't really care for any others. The only few times I tried Burpee's "Big Boy", and "Early Girl", I was disappointed. They rotted off. My heirlooms have never disappointed me.

Tomorrow, I guess, I have to start working on my tiller, 1946 vintage Graham Paige. My neighbor used to offer to till my garden, hasn't lately, my machine beats the hell out of his Sears rear tine. Basically remove and clean the carb, clean the sediment bowl, replace the fuel.

THEN, I gotta go to Soccer practice. Tee-ball with the soon to be 7, last evening, again Friday, Soccer for 2 Saturday, and the soon to be 9 scored twice last Saturday, and his parents weren't there to see it, they went for the "Mud on the Mountain" thing, basically some of the stuff we did in boot camp, but Uncle paid ME 78 bucks a month to do that, they paid 80 bucks each to crawl thru mud, and I got to see the boy score.

Priceless!!!!

Getting old ain't all that bad.

Ah, I forgot to say, VAST markup in the price of food, especially perishables. Also the stuff that has long expiration date, just depends on which chain you insist on shopping at.

They just opened a "Bottom Dollar" store 10 or so miles away. Neighbor who spends a lot at a chain called Giant Eagle was telling me how cheap stuff is, there, they love it. Giant Eagle lot is always packed full, yet they go there, and they are not cheapskates.

I think they are beginning to realize that the price you are charged is not representative of what they pay FOR the stock. You are not really paying half the price for a box of cereal because it is "seconds", not quite up to par. I have seen the same, to me, "green" tomatoes in that store as any other.

I particularly liked the post that all the corn meal you buy is field corn, NOT sweet corn, that mushy stuff, although dried sweet corn IS the next year's seed.

That you buy product of Mexico tomatoes is immaterial. You can't buy other than greenhouse tomatoes, in the Winter, less you import them, then, soon, Florida tomatoes come in season.

That's the beauty of World Trade. I can buy California, or Erie or New York grape juice to make wine, in October. I can buy Chilean juice in April, to make more, or Aussie juice, but it costs more, and I do not know how good it is. SAID to be good, but I just don't know. All I hear is from the Aussie vendors. And then, they might like stuff that, to me, would taste like Diesel fuel .I don't KNOW that, but until I hear someone tell me what the quality of their wine is, from juice, I will stick with Cali and Chile. New York and Erie PA grow varieties that are not in any way spectacular. Low on sugar, low on flavor.

Done,

George