What's new
What's new

OT - opening up as best we can. AKA - is it still just the seasonal flu? #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump is not covid.
Trump is not how to open things up control or how to live with it if around for quite a few years.
Both before have gone off into a sideshow with no respect to the original question.
The bug is real. It has upset all sorts of the economy and many peoples lives and work. It has no favorites or political stand.

Is cash infusion a good thing in such times? Somebody has to pay that bill somewhere.
How to keep afloat existing restaurants and movie theaters. Should we borrow money to do that or is it natural selection at work?
At what point should the government spend our children's money to not have a crash now?
How deep in the hole should this go? If not done what is the outcome?
This is not 1918.

How do we get back to the old normal?
Bob

I'm strongly "for" another benefits disbursement, but just to individuals this time. I'd like to see some method of boosting mask wearing, so that more companies could reliably restart or ramp up.

There would have to be special circumstances for restaurants and the like, where it's really difficult to function (at least for the customers) while wearing a mask. Maybe mandate takeout or sidewalk eating only, or updraft vent hoods over each table. Yes, extreme, but until there's a proper remedy like vaccines, what else can one do?

I'm strongly "for" another benefits disbursement, but just to individuals this time. I'd like to see some method of boosting mask wearing, so that more companies could reliably restart or ramp up.

There would have to be special circumstances for restaurants and the like, where it's really difficult to function (at least for the customers) while wearing a mask. Maybe mandate takeout or sidewalk eating only, or updraft vent hoods over each table. Yes, extreme, but until there's a proper remedy like vaccines, what else can one do?

I also think any stimulus has to be made to individuals only. Heavily affected businesses also need to have some relief. Restaurants, hotels, airlines, pleasure, and travel are in the tank. All the low paid workers in those industries are out of luck. I think some form of UI subsidy till we can get back to normal is necessary. The easiest thing would be to suspend all liabilities till we can get back to normal, we bailed out the banks in 2008, it is their turn to bail us out. No debt payments, no rent payments no liability payments of any sort till normal activity is resumed, that way you only need to feed people who cannot work and you do need to worry about housing or utilities.

What I've been wondering is if we had completely shut down for a month or so, would we be better off now rather then the open and close and open and close that we are going through now? Would it basically be over with now? I have no clue, but it seems like countries that had stricter methods are in are better shape than we are now.

How about helping the college students this time, my oldest kid got no help with their student dept, the only help she got was reimbursement from shutting the schools down early. I would like to see more money invested in small businesses and the tax payers. I would also like to see a limit on unemployment, because too many people got paid more money sitting at home vs going to work and earn it.

What I've been wondering is if we had completely shut down for a month or so, would we be better off now rather then the open and close and open and close that we are going through now? Would it basically be over with now? I have no clue, but it seems like countries that had stricter methods are in are better shape than we are now.

we cannot shut the whole country down again, we need to do it strategically. Had we shut down for February and March and mandated masks, we would be in the same boat as S. Korea or Taiwan. Would have been worth it. Now we have to be more strategic, limit the movement of the population in areas where the virus is spreading. close down congregate settings, schools, churches, etc. I know the churchgoers will whine about it, but you hang out with germ bags you ain't got a prayer. See what is happening in Italy.

dee
;-D

I would say no because too many people are careless with following instructions. Now if the entire government had worked out a plan to combat this disease I would think we would be in a better place right now. In my area Covid is on the rise and it seems people don’t care, the bars are looking full again and people seems to not be wearing their masks or social distancing.

Biden's electoral and popular vote margins are getting bigger every day.

That piece of information will help stop the bug and open us all up. (or maybe not and how this all goes into the shitter once again.)
There is a virus spreading, it cares not about elections or political sides.
It does not think, is not reading social media or any news channel or listening to talking heads. It marches on and has no bias.
All the differences. arguments, etcetera give the upper hand to the bug.
One good rule of warfare is to distract and divide.
The bug has no brain but seems to be doing not so bad at this end.
Anyone doubt the division? How it distracts from the real goal of get rid of this enemy?

I do not want a side , I want it fixed.
Bob

It does not think, is not reading social media or any news channel or listening to talking heads. It marches on and has no bias.

I am shaking me head ..... where were you in the beginning, carbide, when janco was slinging shit like a hemi-engined manure spreader ? It was politics that got you into this mess, now you want people to shut up ?

I told you so. It was documented, right here, if you can find it.

Moving beyond that, of course you could have handled it in the beginning. Many places did. The only way I know there even is a damn covid here is having to wear a mask in the subway and the occasional building that does temp checks and very occasionally you need a green code on the phone (hospitals, government buildings, and so on.)

That's it.

Now, however, damned if I know. It appears the US has slid into "herd immunity." You could get it under control in three weeks, but you won't.

So maybe let Mom Nature have her way and kill off a few million ? Maybe be done in six months that way ....

@dcsipo - I suggested a nationwide force majeure last February. People here sneered. A real plan would have kicked this thing in a month, with minimal hurt to anyone, but you guys didn't want to do that. "It's a plot !"

Live by the drool, die by the drool. The nation, as a whole, is stupid.

I am shaking me head ..... where were you in the beginning, carbide, when janco was slinging shit like a hemi-engined manure spreader ? It was politics that got you into this mess, now you want people to shut up ?

I told you so. It was documented, right here, if you can find it.

Not going to play this game.
Pointless and of no help to the now problem.
However and whatever we are now where we are. How to fix it now and the past is past.
Forward progress. How to keep money flowing and deal with what is hitting us?
Is it a dark winter or just a small blip?
Bob

Maybe some people are unaffected..........After exposure............and some people are just screwed.........

As for parents & grandparents , they died over a decade ago......

That piece of information will help stop the bug and open us all up. (or maybe not and how this all goes into the shitter once again.)
All the differences. arguments, etcetera give the upper hand to the bug.
One good rule of warfare is to distract and divide.
The bug has no brain but seems to be doing not so bad at this end.
Anyone doubt the division? How it distracts from the real goal of get rid of this enemy?

Bob

Biden has a task force of 13 docs. He also picked Ron Klain as his chief of staff. Ron knows a few things about fighting pandemics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...64069a-21d3-11eb-a688-5298ad5d580a_story.html

dee
;-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back