OT - opening up as best we can. AKA - is it still just the seasonal flu? #3 - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 94 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by daryl bane View Post
    Just thought to chime in. My father just passed yesterday due to confirmed Covid. Apparently the VA home where he was is being ravaged. Details of the severity of the outbreak are under wraps, but we heard they have brought in the National Guard.
    Sorry to hear that, my condolences

I have been assuming that the reduced death toll has been due to keeping it away from the elderly even in places that are 'open'

As cases climb that only works so well

2. Likes daryl bane liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just thought to chime in. My father just passed yesterday due to confirmed Covid. Apparently the VA home where he was is being ravaged. Details of the severity of the outbreak are under wraps, but we heard they have brought in the National Guard.
    Sorry to hear of your loss.
    Hodge

4. Likes daryl bane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My condolences Daryl, may your father rest in peace, and you have strength for the rest of the family.

Take care

Sami.

6. Likes daryl bane, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, it's moving at a pretty good clip now.

My wife's school just had one teacher test positive, who got it from her child, but then their teaching partner and one of their students tested positive as well.

Daughters school, or at least the in person part, has had kids testing positive for quite a while.

Cousins coworker (nurse) just died from it. She was my age (40's) with no pre-existing.

Friend on facebook posted that both parents were hospitalized with it.

Meanwhile, I need new brake pads and can't decide where to buy them. None of the auto parts stores have employees that wear masks. But my small town grocer turns people away when they aren't wearing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Yeah, it's moving at a pretty good clip now.

My wife's school just had one teacher test positive, who got it from her child, but then their teaching partner and one of their students tested positive as well.

Daughters school, or at least the in person part, has had kids testing positive for quite a while.

Cousins coworker (nurse) just died from it. She was my age (40's) with no pre-existing.

Friend on facebook posted that both parents were hospitalized with it.

Meanwhile, I need new brake pads and can't decide where to buy them. None of the auto parts stores have employees that wear masks. But my small town grocer turns people away when they aren't wearing it.
    You could try any online auto parts seller... I get wanting to help the little guys, but if they won't enforce a mask policy then they don't care enough about your business.

9. Likes Bobw, 72bwhite liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's a crap shoot here for mask enforcement. Took my parents to the little downtown area for some antique shop hopping and it was about a 60/40 split on if shops bothered with masks or not. Then you have the big grocery store where they have a mask sign in front, but nobody bothers enforcing it so you have about 20% inside without one. Then you always have Walmart where you're just happy they're wearing pants.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will let my almost 4-year-old daughter know. She has a weakened immune system from a bone marrow transplant and post-transplant cancer from aplastic anemia. I will miss her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Damn, that is rough, I don't know what I would do.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by crazygoat View Post
    What I've been wondering is if we had completely shut down for a month or so, would we be better off now rather then the open and close and open and close that we are going through now? Would it basically be over with now? I have no clue, but it seems like countries that had stricter methods are in are better shape than we are now.
    I suspect not. I think the opposite is true, that if we had let the least vulnerable go about their business, unmasked, while the most vulnerable were sheltered we would be past the point where there was much potential for infection.

We are told on the one hand that the virus is EVERYWHERE yet we are expected to believe that endless cycles of shutdown and reopening will somehow defeat it.

I was told recently by someone in the know that the massive physical, psychological and economic damage done by the shutdowns that has already been noticed is just the beginning. We are beginning to see pieces by family counselors describing serious consequences for entire families.

And no wonder. For months many have been subjected to numerous deprivations that normally are only seen in war and severe natural disasters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post

And no wonder. For months many have been subjected to numerous deprivations that normally are only seen in war and severe natural disasters.
    You have got to be kidding, right? I can only assume you have experienced neither. This has been a cake-walk, my only deprivations have been Friday night socializing, and a lack of quality TP, oh the horror!

Daryl Bane
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, stay strong for the rest of your family.

Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back to the topc, a few potential improvements in the sitchiation, churches are going to hate this, but interesting and informative (and a few real-world remarks about Sweden, as well)

K: The Overlooked Variable That's Driving the Pandemic - The Atlantic

about masking ...

Nature: Covid Study

"There is now growing evidence that face masks can considerably reduce the transmission of respiratory viruses like SARS-CoV-2, thereby limiting the spread of COVID-19 (refs. 22,23,24). We updated a recently published review24 to generate a new meta-analysis (Supplementary Information) of peer-reviewed studies and preprints to assess the effectiveness of masks at preventing respiratory viral infections in humans25. This analysis indicated a reduction in infection (from all respiratory viruses) for mask wearers by 40% (relative risk = 0.60, 95% uncertainty interval (UI) = 0.46–0.80)) relative to controls25. This is suggestive of a considerable population health benefit to mask use with great potential for uptake in the United States, where the national average for self-reported mask wearing was 49% as of 21 September 2020"

Maybe we could put away the freedumb-loving anti-mask rhetoric ?

16. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My heart goes out to you, Stay safe. Hope they get it under control at that facility. How utterly sad to have that happen on veterans day .

dee
    ;-D
    Last edited by dcsipo; 11-12-2020 at 07:33 PM.

18. Likes daryl bane liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While we're writing off all those over 55 (it's only a quarter million mostly old people dead here in the US), here's one 93 year old -- an actual conservative -- we might be happy to have around for a few more years:

Netflix’s ‘David Attenborough: A Life On Our Planet’ Is The Most Important Documentary Of The Year

Attenborough makes a decent case that there are more important concerns in our future than seeing Morgan Stanley, Visa, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Boeing, Merck, McDonald's and the other 30 DJIA companies reach new highs based on borrowing further from the future.

The Forbes reviewer calls it the most important documentary of the year.

20. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Attenborough makes a decent case that there are more important concerns in our future than seeing Morgan Stanley, Visa, Goldman Sachs, American Express, Boeing, Merck, McDonald's and the other 30 DJIA companies reach new highs based on borrowing further from the future.
    Between the current president and the Dow, we do have a habit of worshiping false gods in this country...

22. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brake pads: Rockauto.com

Here in NY state, mask use is 100 percent in any retail establishment.

Lady came into the coffee shop we frequent in the mornings - without a mask. She stopped at the door and ran back out, horrified.
    It was almost as if she had forgot to put her pants on that morning.

24. Likes Limy Sami, crazygoat, Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    FINLAND
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wonder how long good situation is going to last here:
    COVID-19 situation update for the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 12 November 2020

Lowest number of cases in Europe. Even east block countries like Lithuania galloped past us with 10-fold margin. No idea why.
    (Poland is not surprise after the huge protests against the naz.. government)

For comparison Wisconsin has similar population to Finland but with 7000 cases per day instead of 200. Must be those damn tests from Scottl...

26. Likes Milland, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I rather like Rock Auto for auto parts. Anything you would want to buy they have a range of brands and price points.

RockAuto

28. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Brake pads: Rockauto.com

Here in NY state, mask use is 100 percent in any retail establishment.

Lady came into the coffee shop we frequent in the mornings - without a mask. She stopped at the door and ran back out, horrified.
    It was almost as if she had forgot to put her pants on that morning.
    Nice one Jim seriously IMHO that's how it should be.

30. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Nice one Jim seriously IMHO that's how it should be.
    It's what we need now, but it sure makes me hope that one of the vaccine candidates is shown to be truly effective.

And then there's the question of the anti-vaxxers. FFS...

Coronavirus: anti-vaxxers seek to discredit Pfizer's vaccine | World news | The Guardian

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
    You have got to be kidding, right? I can only assume you have experienced neither. This has been a cake-walk, my only deprivations have been Friday night socializing, and a lack of quality TP, oh the horror!

Daryl Bane
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your father, stay strong for the rest of your family.
    Assuming you don't have kids and don't have to physically be at work. I know families who can't work from home, have small children at home attending "virtual" school, and they can't visit older family.

Try dealing with no work, almost no income, and soon the deferred rent or mortgage payments will have to be paid up or face eviction. Add in isolation from friends and family and the situation is far from a "cake walk".

Just a few days ago heard about a single mother with 3 very young kids, lost her day care when they closed and her job when her "non-essential" employer was ordered closed, and just got a heads up that she likely won't go back to work because her employer can't afford to reopen.

33. Likes ChipSplitter, Dualkit, Trueturning liked this post