OT - opening up as best we can. AKA - is it still just the seasonal flu? - Page 277
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 277 of 304 FirstFirst ... 177227267275276277278279287 ... LastLast
Results 5,521 to 5,540 of 6064
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Straightedge;3595551]
    Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post

One of the better ways to get control of something fake is to stop believing it's true. It's hard for people with BLM-level IQs but if you work really, really hard, even you might be able to do it.

Speaking of those Black Lives Matter IQ's you seem to worry so much about: Holding a Black Lives Matter Sign Amidst Trump-style Geniuses - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    I'm still confused on the shutdown open up thing.
    We could pay those shutdown as if they were not and the economy keeps flowing, people still buy goods and the stock market marches on.
    There has to be a end to how much money can be poured in here at some point. I do not think this 3 trillion here and anther trillion there every quarter can go on for years.
    Open up and more people get sick, go to hospitals and eat lots of cash, who pays for that tab?
    Then if we went full open deaths which at what point is considered acceptable loss?

If there had been no pump up from the fed side in unemployment and PPP where would sit now as a recession?
    Has this made us think that it is not such a big deal? Have we softened the blow so much that many are not in the worry place?

Everyone doing a whole dance around a vaccine which please come soon.
    Very big free dollars being spent, who pays that tab and when?
    Earlier in a post I asked what happens if we spend 10 trillion a year in free money versus our GDP.
    Replies were that we would never reach that yet here we sit a 3 trillion a quarter and GDP dropping.

I know many working in machine shops with nothing to do all day and some have asked me why.
    Because it it a sort of unemployment funded by the new loans, part of the unemployment systems has now become shop or businesses owners.
    The government gives your boss the money to keep you on staff even when not needed. You are working but do not cost anything to the company.
    All this has to go away before we have any idea how this bug has done it.
    But we will prop it up, make more free money, pass it along to the future.

Why does the stock market run in what should be a recession or worse with unemployment at its current levels?
    Our very rich uncle Sam has come to the rescue in so many forms. Not sure how he has so much cash.

Open up and quit funding unemployed or companies. Let the cards play as they lay. How will that work or look like?
    Send like crazy, support all out of work, and borrow money to do it with no care as to how to pay?
    Bob
    Currently the Fed has spent $7 Trillion supporting the market and big companies. Mostly buying really really bad debt.
    So, obviously, the real people in charge think that money can help fix this, but they are putting it where they live. And fighting against a trillion going ot average americans, who, I will remind you, make $31 grand a year.

Fed’s balance sheet tops $7 trillion, shows increased buying of corporate bond ETFs - MarketWatch

So, my humble opinion is that a bit more money would probably help a lot more than it will cost.

3. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=PeteM;3595724]
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightedge View Post

Speaking of those Black Lives Matter IQ's you seem to worry so much about: Holding a Black Lives Matter Sign Amidst Trump-style Geniuses - YouTube
    No matter what the cause, standing in or near trafisc is a hazard to everybody.

BLM has lost its reason and has turned into loot stores, break windows, burn cars, throw rocks at cops, block highways, try to destory government buildings, harm churches, tear down statues, defunding cops..Just about everything foolish.

5. Likes Trueturning, Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=michiganbuck;3595784]
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post

No matter what the cause, standing in or near trafisc is a hazard to everybody.
    So your point is that you're cool with the stupid threats, because the guy was, um, exercising First Amendment rights?

Far as I can tell he was quietly standing on the sidewalk. How millions of us stand near traffic every day. Or how thousands of small businesses advertise themselves with spinning signs and the like. Or how most everyone "advertises" walking along wearing something like a MAGA hat or a Bernie T-shirt.

The real hazard would be those stopping in the middle of the road to give him the finger, threaten him, promise to come back and beat him up, etc. That could get you rear ended or have you veer off the road.

Back to dementia, seems you, Joe B, and I all need to work on our typos, written or verbal.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT : [The real hazard would be those stopping in the middle of the road to give him the finger, threaten him, etc.

I agree to that and in danger all the people who tried to just drive past.
    Anyone stopping should have gotten a ticket...and that would have caused more danger.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem is simple but the solution isn't.

USA is divided into two very opposing groups with every conflict now. So opposing in fact that violence becomes a given.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ries View Post
    Currently the Fed has spent $7 Trillion supporting the market and big companies. Mostly buying really really bad debt.
    So, obviously, the real people in charge think that money can help fix this, but they are putting it where they live. And fighting against a trillion going ot average americans, who, I will remind you, make $31 grand a year.

Fed’s balance sheet tops $7 trillion, shows increased buying of corporate bond ETFs - MarketWatch

So, my humble opinion is that a bit more money would probably help a lot more than it will cost.
    $2 Bn in ETF's is a rounding error.

The Fed's balance sheet was about $4.2 Tn before the virus, and has expanded to $7 Tn. since.

About 75% of the balance sheet is US treasuries, and that's where most of the expansion has been. There is also a large segment of mortgage backed securities, almost 25%.

The ETF purchases are new, one of the new facilities created to support liquidity. The Fed cannot own equities- only bonds. So the ETF's are a way to provide some non-specific liquidity support to the corporate bond market. But it's a tiny amount- under $2 Bn so far.

The largest increase (outside the Treasuries and commercial paper) is currency swaps with other central banks. That's over $200 Bn right now, it was about $25 Bn before the virus.

So just to be clear- $2 Bn to support bond markets with ETF purchases, $200 Bn to foreign banks.

$2.3 Tn of the $3 Tn increase has gone to support everyday Americans- unemployment, CARES Act, $1200 stimulus checks to everyone, etc.

I think there is a $180 Bn facility for big businesses like airlines, but I don't think they have actually tapped into that yet- I might be wrong there, I haven't followed that one.

When the Congress passes coronavirus relief bills, the money has to come from somewhere. It comes from the Fed, via Treasury purchases, and that obviously expands the balance sheet. The Fed does not act alone in this area. The authorities come from the Congress in the form of "new facilities", Fed-speak for authorizations to engage in non-traditional activities like ETF purchases.

So yes to the $7 Tn balance sheet, but only a very small fraction of the growth has been directed at big corporations and the stock markets, and no "really really bad debt" in there that I am aware of...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only answer is to put a liberal Hispanic lesbian in the White House, ...................along with her transsexual African American Muslim partner, ......... and their kids.

11. Likes CalG, Demon73, barbter liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by theperfessor View Post
    According to the CDC the estimatd flu deaths for the last ten years have ranged from a low of 12,000 to a high of 61,000. Nowhere near 152,000+.

I expect there will be a quarter million dead Americans from this mishandled pandemic by the end of 2020.
    I doubt anyone this year in America will die of natural causes, cancer or other ailments.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    The only answer is to put a liberal Hispanic lesbian in the White House, ...................along with her transsexual African American Muslim partner, ......... and their kids.
    There's another way but it certainly won't be this year.

Let the senate and congress give a secret vote as to who should be president. Surely they know each other well enough to vote for somebody they believe will do a good job of running the USA? Being a decent human being is more important than what party you are part of.

Up until Trump I've never given a damn if the US president was Democrat or Republican. All that interested me was what they did and how they did it.

US voters keep seeming to have to choose between pest and cholera.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by janvanruth View Post
    or maybe just get decent policemen, like the bigger part of europe has?

Send some over to chicago, they had a bad day where 3 police officers were shot.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post

Let the senate and congress give a secret vote as to who should be president. Surely they know each other well enough to vote for somebody they believe will do a good job of running the USA? Being a decent human being is more important than what party you are part of.

Up until Trump I've never given a damn if the US president was Democrat or Republican. All that interested me was what they did and how they did it.

I would rather round them all up and and have them fight to the death and the last one standing is president.

16. Likes barbter liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem is simple but the solution isn't.

USA is divided into two very opposing groups with every conflict now. So opposing in fact that violence becomes a given.
    How about those Germans putting up a fuss in Berlin?

Division runs rampant! The US of A has no exclusive grip on stupid rules. (ers)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You know AMERICA is a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC. You can't just go around throwing wrenches in the works just because you think it would work better today. That shit is for sheep!

19. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    The US of A has no exclusive grip on stupid rules. (ers)
    True Cal, ............but you have to admit you're pretty near the top of the table.

21. Likes camscan, Gordon B. Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    With all this "wear a mask, it's not that much to ask" sentiment. I wonder why "Eat right, lose weight, get fit, live a healthy life style"
    doesn't get as much attention. Is it because it is easier to tell someone else what to do than to do the right thing our selves?

Both paths "help reduce the spread" in unproven ways. One path has a multitude of benefits, the other? Head in the sand....

Yup! Nailed it!
    This doctor's a few suburbs away, I'd say he's pretty good on all those attributes! Knowing he is (or was) in the fast group of the cycling club and I'd get dropped by that group within a couple of km if I tried to run with them, I wouldn't be placing all my faith in the, live right credo, to reduce the spread.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So, your idea is to let a bunch of bought and paid for representatives and senators, decide who runs the country, with no input from the taxpayers.

Brilliant.

Maybe you could send them each a 12 inch digital caliper from China to measure their dicks to have that be the deciding metric.

Then, you could have them on the hook for all of the batteries you could supply.

What a moron.

24. Likes jancollc liked this post
    Country
    BRAZIL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    If ever there was a time to fire up Spitting Image again

26. Likes barbter liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah ,loved that show ....Charles and Di,Maggie,Ronald and Nancy...great.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Guess you do not like that his blood is Scottish right? He and your demeanor have vast cominality.