OT - opening up as best we can. AKA - is it still just the seasonal flu? - Page 48
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 48 of 176 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Well, Bill, sorry it's been such a bummer to have me take a shot at breaking up the nation's dwindling love affair with the guy. He's a con man. Gone from conning investors, TV viewers, and Trump U. students to the nation. Realize it's a hopeless cause in your case. Be nice, though, if you had an actual fact or two to share once in a while.
    Bill's lost the plot. I used to pay attention to what he wrote in order to glean the nugget of useful information from the verbiage.

Now - shrug.

It's not just politics either. I think it's been 10 years since he bought a Monarch 10EE. AFAIK it's still in bits and the wonderful DC drive he was installing still doesn't turn.

PDW

2. Likes Milland, SIP6A, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree. CDC has been absolutely useless. The state labs have lead the way. But not all of them when you have 50 states...a few are bound to have just so so leadership. And thatís a big problem. Personally the whole damned thing has been chaotic. Iím still dumbfounded that they shut down the economy. South Korea, Taiwan and Japan....all dealt with it differently than the USA. They got a decent handle on it but itís been a mess here. And a lot of people are really hurting now. I remember when they re-paved my street where my business was. That was a brutal 6 months. But even then, I was able to open. No real traffic but I was able to open the doors. This is much worse. I am afraid a lot of people will lose everything they worked for. Tragic really.

4. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    The CDC has been a disaster. Theyíve gotten it wrong at every turn. They got the original tests wrong. Hard to believe because they were always at the top of their game. Iím not sure what happened to the CDC. Some say itís because funding was cut. I canít comment on it yet. What I do know is that Iím sure journalists are all over this. Theyíll be articles and books on what went wrong .
    hey, there's one thing we can agree on!
    the CDC has almost always been a joke, at least for the past 2 decades or so.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Well? WTF? It's PETE!

When.... since DJT was elected.. were PeteM's posts NOT "misleading and dishonest"?

Congenital bias? Political bias? "TDS"? Manipulation? Some combination or all of the above?

He could not change ANY of that if he wanted to change it. And he does NOT want to change it.

So "JFDWT"...... and take a "spring pass"

.....or several..

Exactly. This thread is one he started. Milland and him are the same as they love to watch themselves show off. Disgraceful actually.

They never want their toxic tirades to disappear as in being deleted because their egos need the memorialization of those threads.

The thing is is if people bother to review them they will learn well the nature of posters like these. Also posers like these.

7. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Memo to USA residents....South Korea,Japan ,Taiwan ,(and China) all have efficient ,readily available ,free health systems ,unlike the US where a credit check is done on patients as the first stage.....This factor changes the entire possible outcome and course of any infection.......add to that mix a wacko who cant stop tossing grenades into professional efforts to manage the outbreak ,and its getting pretty hard to predict any outcome..........and then we have the orange ones final toss of the dice ...start WW3....that should get voters attention in Novemeber.....however many are left.

9. Likes Milland, tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    Thanks for the concern Trueturning. I do appreciate that. But Iím not afraid of my story. I donít lie and am not going to start at this point. I havenít stuck a needle in my arm for 23 years. I did drugs for the same reasons as some drink too much. Depression and self pity. Self pity is a useless emotion.
    And FWIW, I have nothing to fear from some petty asshole who doesnít like what I say....so heís going to key my car so that he feels better about himself. Anyone who wants to find me....have at it. Iíve dealt with assholes before. FWIW, when I got shot....without all of the details....that bastard thought he was slick by hiding in my blind spot and firing into my car. I saw him in my mirror....jumped out and shot him 3 times in the belly. Yes, I missed him with the other 3 rounds.....but in my defense...we were only 5 feet from each other and he was shooting at me with his Colt Police Positive 38 special. We were that close and I was that aware to know for a fact. It was a Police Positive and I saw the lead in the chambers. But I was pissed. He just at shot me three times. ( and missed )
    And Iím even more cynical now than I was 35 years ago. A big 100 # Rhodesian Ridgeback and trust me....Iím a good fucking shot. Damned good. I shoot better rapid fire than slowly. Ambidextrous too. Always practice with both hands. Been into handguns since I was 14 years old. Donít leave home without it.

So I donít look for trouble. I donít get insulted. I donít have to prove myself. But I ainít going down without a hell of a fight. Anyone who wants to mess with me. Have at it. Iím easy to find.

So...Iím getting off of my soapbox but I do thank you for the warning. And I also understand that most of these petty types do cowardly petty reprisals. Like calling the police on you....saying you have drugs....whatever. Still not concerned. If I can help one person by telling them that heroin is bad shit....Iím willing to risk the reprisals. Way too many think they can handle drugs. Well....maybe you handled meth or Vicodinís. Heroin is the big leagues. The other shit ainít nothing compared to it.

Iíll say it again. Itís the forbidden fruit in my opinion
    So true.......

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Memo to USA residents....South Korea,Japan ,Taiwan ,(and China) all have efficient ,readily available ,free health systems ,unlike the US where a credit check is done on patients as the first stage.....This factor changes the entire possible outcome and course of any infection.......add to that mix a wacko who cant stop tossing grenades into professional efforts to manage the outbreak ,and its getting pretty hard to predict any outcome..........and then we have the orange ones final toss of the dice ...start WW3....that should get voters attention in Novemeber.....however many are left.
    John attack someone who is not your friend your backstabbing is getting way too old.

12. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

100,579 dead now. That's more than the Korean War and Vietnam War combined. Closing in on the WW1 total now.

All in 3 months or so. Let's see, how many years of war did it take to kill that many?

Who was it again who was saying that it'd all be like magic and the new death count would drop to zero by April?

Do you feel that you're winning yet? Brazil is still giving you a run for your money I'm afraid.

PDW

14. Likes tim9lives, SIP6A, Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    sources on the credit check on patients? i have no health care plan right now and i went to a hospital several weeks ago, no credit check.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    100,579 dead now. That's more than the Korean War and Vietnam War combined. Closing in on the WW1 total now.

All in 3 months or so. Let's see, how many years of war did it take to kill that many?

Who was it again who was saying that it'd all be like magic and the new death count would drop to zero by April?

Do you feel that you're winning yet? Brazil is still giving you a run for your money I'm afraid.

PDW
    quick everyone! build bomb shelters and lock yourselves in there, or you'll die!
    oh wait, you'll die in a bomb shelter also after you run out of food and water. and later on you'll eventually die NO MATTER WHAT!.

17. Likes Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PDW
    Brazil is going to be a nightmare. It’s going to make Italy look like child’s play. That jackass Bolsonaro kept preaching it was a hoax and the virus doesn’t do anything in summer. Withe those slums over there...people crammed in one room tin sheds on top of each other, it’s going to get real bad over there.
    Bolsonaro thinks he can hide it...no testing so no one can say it’s CV19. But when it gets to scenes like Monty Pythons “Bring Out Your Dead“....there won’t be anyway to hide trucks picking up bodies on the streets. It’s going to get ugly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Exactly. This thread is one he started . . .

To cover the topic of how to best reopen. With a first post showing how anyone relying on the old CDC guidelines (it was all about touching surfaces and hands to face) would likely be at risk. The newer assessment was that aerosol contamination looked like the bigger factor.

First time Trump was ever mentioned was Scottl in #35 saying he hopes it's not about Trump. Then again in #57 to be sure it would be. Still pretty much on topic, though, for 500 posts.

Your contributions have been to cluck from the sidelines (adding zero value) and drop likes as if they were fairy dust. Then, tell us how great Trump has been when the failure of early response gets around to him. Then, start attacking people or urge them to come to Jesus.

Might try that yourself. You've slandered just about everyone who disagrees with your endorsement of everything-Trump. Particularly if they get all uppity and cite facts and figures.

Back on topic - many areas are now opening wide up with a sense that it was either a hoax or now over. In part because it's being seen as a political rather than a medical problem. It seems likely (to me) that cases will spike again in many parts of the country - in part for not following the guidelines linked in post #1. Next two or three weeks will tell.

20. Likes Screwmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back on topic - many areas are now opening wide up with a sense that it was either a hoax or now over. In part because it's being seen as a political rather than a medical problem. It seems likely that cases will spike again in many parts of the country - in part for not following the guidelines linked in post #1. Next two or three weeks will tell. There's a heat wave in my area, should that actually be a factor.
    The double tragedy of this will be the further gutting of the economy, and the risk that will put over all our heads. As a small business owner I am more concerned about the future for working people and the families that depend on them, all at risk due to the incredibly poor job done at the Federal level of taking this disease seriously.

Add to the real impact the frothing at the mouth of the rabid djt-ites (and what "venting" they may do), and we have a very long, hot Summer (and Fall) ahead of us.

22. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To cover the topic of how to best reopen. With a first post showing how anyone relying on the old CDC guidelines (it was all about touching surfaces and hands to face) would likely be at risk. The newer assessment was that aerosol contamination looked like the bigger factor.

First time Trump was ever mentioned was Scottl in #35 saying he hopes it's not about Trump. Then again in #57 to be sure it would be. Still pretty much on topic, though, for 500 posts.

Your contributions have been to cluck from the sidelines (adding zero value) and drop likes as if they were fairy dust. Then, tell us how great Trump has been when the failure of early response gets around to him. Then, start attacking people or urge them to come to Jesus.

Might try that yourself. You've slandered just about everyone who disagrees with your endorsement of everything-Trump. Particularly if they get all uppity and cite facts and figures.

Back on topic - many areas are now opening wide up with a sense that it was either a hoax or now over. In part because it's being seen as a political rather than a medical problem. It seems likely (to me) that cases will spike again in many parts of the country - in part for not following the guidelines linked in post #1. Next two or three weeks will tell.
    You have a obvious obsession and pattern. Everyone sees it. You preside over all this and act like you are better than anyone else.

24. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Exactly. This thread is one he started. Milland and him are the same as they love to watch themselves show off. Disgraceful actually.

They never want their toxic tirades to disappear as in being deleted because their egos need the memorialization of those threads.

The thing is is if people bother to review them they will learn well the nature of posters like these. Also posers like these.
    It could be that they, like myself, get peeved when the threads go so off topic.

It's like herding CATS ! A full time situation....

I'm waiting to hear if any of those food processing folks who contracted the virus end up sick. So far, None in hospital.

Is it really a disease if you don't suffer from it?

26. Likes Trueturning, empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PDW

Getting in on Swine flu of 2009 numbers

Some studies estimated that the actual number of cases including asymptomatic and mild cases could be 700 million to 1.4 billion peopleóor 11 to 21 percent of the global population of 6.8 billion at the time.[12] The lower value of 700 million is more than the 500 million people estimated to have been infected by the Spanish flu pandemic.[13]
    The number of lab-confirmed deaths reported to the WHO is 18,449,[7] though this 2009 H1N1 flu pandemic is estimated to have actually caused about 284,000 (range from 150,000 to 575,000) deaths.[14] A follow-up study done in September 2010 showed that the risk of serious illness resulting from the 2009 H1N1 flu was no higher than that of the yearly seasonal flu.[15] For comparison, the WHO estimates that 250,000 to 500,000 people die of seasonal flu annually.[URL="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_swine_flu_pandemic#cite_note-death_toll_estimate-9"][9]

I heard they had to turn off the entire world and restart the operating system..... ]

Or maybe not...

28. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is no shutdown,and never has been in this state (Qld) in manufacturing,warehousing,transport ,or any metalworking or maintenance shop ,never has been,workers still go to work every day..yet very few cases ,and maybe one death a week.....The mandated shutdown was in crowd /gathering /restaurant type businesses.....And many of them are still open providing take away food supplies....the rule is distancing and quarantine for those diagnosed ,or with symptoms ,for 14 days ......then they are free to go.........The hardest hit outside those are in tourism ,and air travel,which is out for the foreseeable future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

31. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PDW
    False comparison, though such is almost always done in these cases depending on who wants to support what agenda.

Read Post #410, specifically paying attention to the 239,000/month average US death figure.

33. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Though the CDC does not directly capture adult P&I mortality, rather to rely on the NCHS statistic gathering, they did make these statements regarding the 2017 2018 Flu season

The 2017-2018 influenza season was a high severity season with high levels of outpatient clinic and emergency department visits for influenza-like illness (ILI), high influenza-related hospitalization rates, and elevated and geographically widespread influenza activity for an extended period. In 2017, CDC began using new methodology to classify seasonal severity and applied the methodology to the 2003-2004 through 2016-2017 seasons. The 2017-18 season was the first season to be classified as a high severity across all age groups.

and

During the 2017-2018 season, the percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza (P&I) was at or above the epidemic threshold for 16 consecutive weeks. During the past five seasons, the average number of weeks this indicator was above threshold was 11 (range of 7 to 15 weeks). Nationally, mortality attributed to P&I exceeded 10.0% for four consecutive weeks, peaking at 10.8% during the week ending January 20, 2018.

I wonder what the "seasonal profile of reported cases" will look like this year. Not in magnitude, but along the time axis.

If it returns in fall, we just must have an alternate method of response. Underutilization of hospitals and beaches is NOT going to go over well.

35. Likes empwoer liked this post