OT - opening up as best we can. AKA - is it still just the seasonal flu? - Page 488
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 488 of 496 FirstFirst ... 388438478486487488489490 ... LastLast
Results 9,741 to 9,760 of 9910
  1. #9741
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    6,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    One can not know it the step on the wave was better or let it run. All this is armchair.
    Have to disagree with you there. It's not armchair, there are realworld examples, countries have had realworld experience, and dealt with this effectively both economically and in terms of health care. The US is pretty well at the bottom of the list, with only one or two civilized countries doing worse. There's a word for that, and it starts with "in" and ends with "competent".

    The places that had SARS and MERS or the horse one didn't fuck around. A real shutdown is short and effective. This halfass stuff is a worthless travesty. You would think that humans could observe and learn, but it seems you'd be wrong.

    If you approached this like you do a machining problem, you would have solved it in short order. That's why I now find this place appalling. People here are supposed to be used to the real world. A virus is no different than aluminum or steel. If you do certain things, it acts a certain way. Pretending that 316 is uhmw can only lead to disaster, but so many people here are choosing fantasy over reality.

    Honestly enough, I'm shocked. With gender studies TA's or web designers I'd expect this level of idiocy, but guys who cut metal on a daily basis ? Very very strange.

  2. #9742
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    2,815
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2918
    Likes (Received)
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Have to disagree with you there. It's not armchair, there are realworld examples, countries have had realworld experience, and dealt with this effectively both economically and in terms of health care. The US is pretty well at the bottom of the list, with only one or two civilized countries doing worse. There's a word for that, and it starts with "in" and ends with "competent".

    The places that had SARS and MERS or the horse one didn't fuck around. A real shutdown is short and effective. This halfass stuff is a worthless travesty. You would think that humans could observe and learn, but it seems you'd be wrong.

    If you approached this like you do a machining problem, you would have solved it in short order. That's why I now find this place appalling. People here are supposed to be used to the real world. A virus is no different than aluminum or steel. If you do certain things, it acts a certain way. Pretending that 316 is uhmw can only lead to disaster, but so many people here are choosing fantasy over reality.

    Honestly enough, I'm shocked. With gender studies TA's or web designers I'd expect this level of idiocy, but guys who cut metal on a daily basis ? Very very strange.
    So China was different being a totalitarian State. Travel not as free as in the Western world who can deny that Westerners and certain Chinese travelers spread the virus to multiple places on the globe in the Western world. Too since it was new to us we were not facing the virus in a contained location as happened in China.

    Just bash away don’t single out just the United States and chime in that the potus is a mass murderer without spreading your attack to the world at large. After capitalizing on the pain of a pandemic and piling on do not forget where the virus came from and how. After all the fighting is done over here no one will soon forget how it spread and that it need not have spread so wide.

  3. #9743
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Modesto, CA USA
    Posts
    8,217
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Pleasant covid surprise.......applied for a council permit to move a machine across footpath, kerb and channeling ,and the $150 fee is waived due to a covid business aid program......So its not all bad ...(if ya dont get the virus.)
    They wanted to charge you to move a machine across the sidewalk and nature strip? Who would know or care. would a cop really write a ticket for that if it did not take all day?
    Bill D

  4. #9744
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    6,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
    Excatly what I meant. What a bunch of stupid irrelevant horseshit. Covid is a fucking disease, a virus, we know what viruses are and how they spread; the idiot US did nothing effective to stop this and you get what you deserve because when faced with a real situation, all you can do is shriek and blubber about socialists or communists or how it's someone else's fault or how the world is going to end anyway so may as well be now or how 250,000 dead people were gonna croak soon anyhow or how Mustafa the Great killed 400,000 persimmons so we aren't nearly that bad bla bla bla bla bla. All hat, no head.

    How many people died when the world trade center went down ? Eighty times fewer than this. It was a blip, a nothing, but it overturned the entire country .... all you've done is proven how incompetent the US is once again. You couldn't stop fifteen guys with box cutters and you can't handle a virus. You can't do anything right.

    Imbeciles, that's what you are. Imbeciles and crybabies.

  5. #9745
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Vt USA
    Posts
    8,893
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1469
    Likes (Received)
    3153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Serious Q
    Speaking as an outsider, I'm finding the US scarier by the day, ................how many think ;- that unless there are big changes in partisanship etc etc right across society the USA is heading for (another?) civil war?
    It all started with a run in with a tyrant that lived in your neighborhood.

    "the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

    The uncomfortable memory gets passed on. There are people right here in the United States of America, that want to take liberty from others and themselves. I don't get it either.

    Once burned, twice shy.

  6. Likes Trueturning liked this post
  7. #9746
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    597
    Likes (Received)
    6459

    Default

    Just took a gander at the cover of the latest (October 31st) Economist magazine. Surprise.

    Cover says "Why it must be Biden." It joins the New England Journal of Medicine and Scientific American in an unusual (for those magazines) decision on the merits of our candidates.

    Online version: America’s election - Why it has to be Biden | Leaders | The Economist

  8. #9747
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    2,815
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2918
    Likes (Received)
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Excatly what I meant. What a bunch of stupid irrelevant horseshit. Covid is a fucking disease, a virus, we know what viruses are and how they spread; the idiot US did nothing effective to stop this and you get what you deserve because when faced with a real situation, all you can do is shriek and blubber about socialists or communists or how it's someone else's fault or how the world is going to end anyway so may as well be now or how 250,000 dead people were gonna croak soon anyhow or how Mustafa the Great killed 400,000 persimmons so we aren't nearly that bad bla bla bla bla bla. All hat, no head.

    How many people died when the world trade center went down ? Eighty times fewer than this. It was a blip, a nothing, but it overturned the entire country .... all you've done is proven how incompetent the US is once again. You couldn't stop fifteen guys with box cutters and you can't handle a virus. You can't do anything right.

    Imbeciles, that's what you are. Imbeciles and crybabies.
    Asia has a established history dealing with this. Just accept that we are learning and are better for it. After all this blows over we will be stronger for it in spite of efforts from citizens like you who stoked destructive forces. After the election workers is out all the BS fades and we get on with life learning from the storm just like we always have.

  9. #9748
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    2,815
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2918
    Likes (Received)
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Just took a gander at the cover of the latest (October 31st) Economist magazine. Surprise.

    Cover says "Why it must be Biden." It joins the New England Journal of Medicine and Scientific American in an unusual (for those magazines) decision on the merits of our candidates.

    Online version: America’s election - Why it has to be Biden | Leaders | The Economist
    They just want to restructure the wealth earners who have been successful finding alternative paths. They want things renewed because that view is bought and paid for. Easier said than done. Winners thrive whoever wins or loses. Special interests will always have their word and present their expected win. Just like they did the same dog and pony last election and they lost.

    They are selling subscriptions and propping up new paths for investments along with stock purchase schemes. They want to give the wink to those who want to benefit from a change. The winners do not wish to to change course so much and will still likely keep winning to a large extent. They will even change up to keep winning.

  10. #9749
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    597
    Likes (Received)
    6459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    They just want . . . blah, blah.
    The Economist turned against Trump based on his numerous failures and partisanship. They're not the pharma industry, big finance, the energy or gambling businesses backing anyone's PACs. Read the article.

    The New England Journal of Medicine turned against him because of his lies and ham-handed handling of the pandemic. The denial of that rampant in this thread. Scientific American thinks his denial of science in both the pandemic and climate are threats.

    Even the arch-conservative Drudge Report has turned on Trump. It's actually cost Drudge money, since the usual base still want to hear how wonderful Trump is. Drudge points out he's screwed conservative values. Same deal with the Republicans behind the Lincoln Project and those hundred plus former inner circle calling him an idiot, deranged, dangerous including his former consigliere, numerous Cabinet officials, and top Republicans. Even Cindy McCain is campaigning against him.

  11. #9750
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    6,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Just accept that we are learning and are better for it. After all this blows over we will be stronger for it
    You haven't learned anything in seventy-five years, why should I believe you're going to start now ?

  12. Likes Trueturning liked this post
  13. #9751
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    2,815
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2918
    Likes (Received)
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    The Economist turned against Trump based on his numerous failures and partisanship. They're not the pharma industry, big finance, the energy or gambling businesses backing anyone's PACs. Read the article.

    The New England Journal of Medicine turned against him because of his lies and ham-handed handling of the pandemic. The denial of that rampant in this thread. Scientific American thinks his denial of science in both the pandemic and climate are threats.

    Even the arch-conservative Drudge Report has turned on Trump. It's actually cost Drudge money, since the usual base still want to hear how wonderful Trump is. Drudge points out he's screwed conservative values. Same deal with the Republicans behind the Lincoln Project and those hundred plus former inner circle calling him an idiot, deranged, dangerous including his former consigliere, numerous Cabinet officials, and top Republicans. Even Cindy McCain is campaigning against him.
    Yet it has never been a strong theme against Trump until now right before the election. You indicated surprise with the article. Scientific American has been a well known opponent to the President and they have been very vocal about implementing massive investment in green energy-they want to support a change where the industry including people who would benefit from the change are very supportive of massive government intervention. This is something you support.

    I can see it. The Economist will not lose Trump supporters because their efforts are supported by the Economist. They wisely play to the entire market while delivering on support for these kinds of investments. I agree they are not really taking a harmful path as most of America do want to move in the that direction. The Economist basically has achieved a win win.

  14. #9752
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    2,815
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2918
    Likes (Received)
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    You haven't learned anything in seventy-five years, why should I believe you're going to start now ?
    Seventy five. Neither side excluding the extremes are very far off solutions. If you think that what Trump has done good will be discarded by a Biden win you would be mistaken. All that would happen is that over half the country will oppose him as Trump has been opposed hands down.

    Take a physical wall at the border y’all sold no border or electronic border it is as effective having a virtual wall as much as having a virtual military , minefield, Navy, Air Force. It is really nit wit stuff. Not enough time to discuss much that we all have not worn out before.

  15. #9753
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    9,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    597
    Likes (Received)
    6459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    . . .Scientific American has been a well known opponent to the President and they have been very vocal about implementing massive investment in green energy . . ..
    Scientific American wasn't a well-known opponent to any political candidate for something like 150 years.

    Being "scientific" they do see the evidence of climate change. The earth has seen something like five extinction events in its past. We're now on a threshold - this time of our own doing - of a sixth. Humanity now has the power to trash it's own environment - whether through putting billions of tons of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, having a nuclear holocaust, or just failing to respond to a pandemic. And no, not this one - it's just a dress rehearsal gone wrong.

    Most of us, scientists included, would just as soon that sixth extinction event doesn't happen any time soon, even if it means taking some precautions. Most of them aren't counting on the rapture (or even a debt-fueled 30,000 Dow before the next bust) to save their kids and future generations. As for Scientific American, as a publisher, it doesn't stand to make money from any energy source, green, brown, or glowing.

    You seem to think the only reason anyone does anything is for personal financial gain. Perhaps in your mind. Maybe in Trump's mind. Sometimes people (and publications) just try to do the right thing.

  16. Likes Greg White liked this post
  17. #9754
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    2,815
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2918
    Likes (Received)
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Scientific American wasn't a well-known opponent to any political candidate for something like 150 years.

    Being "scientific" they do see the evidence of climate change. The earth has seen five extinction events in its past. We're now on a threshold - this time of our own doing - of a sixth. They'd just as soon that doesn't happen, even if it means taking some precautions. They, as a publisher, don't stand to make money from any energy source, green, brown, or glowing.

    You seem to think the only reason anyone does anything is for personal financial gain. Perhaps in your mind. Maybe in Trump's mind. Sometimes people just try to do the right thing.
    Things such as this history does not change how they and many others are now. 150 years was not good enough they decided to throw that away. The reason for the former stand was good for 150 years and so now that has ended. 150 years have passed they live in the present after all. Not a good move.

  18. #9755
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    590
    Likes (Received)
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post

    Who do we know who will put up with highway ambushes? Either party? Everyone knows extremes are stoking anger and that is only the goal or process. It will stop because citizens see the extremism and will see it removed.
    And who suggested those ambushes? Do you know?

    Are you finally owning up to your man's own party as being extremists?

  19. #9756
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    6,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Take a physical wall at the border y’all sold no border or electronic border it is as effective having a virtual wall as much as having a virtual military , minefield, Navy, Air Force. It is really nit wit stuff.
    You're exactly right it's nitwit stuff. Someone should take a D11, start at the east end, and smash that piece of shit as flat as a pancake for the entire length.

    Take Your Goddamned Wall and Jam It Up Your Ass

    If I wuz God, that worthless orange-haired bowl of pink slime would be hanged, drawn, and quartered, with his disgusting head stuck on a pole in front of the White House for all to see and throw rotten vegetables at, until January 20.

    And oh yeah, that famous tax break ? Go read your Stiglitz and do the math. You're going to pay double, triple, quintuple for it over the next few years. Nice.

    The man is evil, the father of lies. And you are fools.

  20. Likes Greg White, Limy Sami liked this post
  21. #9757
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    2,815
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2918
    Likes (Received)
    599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazygoat View Post
    And who suggested those ambushes? Do you know?

    Are you finally owning up to your man's own party as being extremists?
    I do not care. I think it amounts to nothing.

    Actually I checked the articles and video. On second thought I am glad that the FBI is investigating. Looks like there was too close a interaction. One truck almost ran into a smaller car. It was stupid.

  22. #9758
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    South Carolina
    Posts
    740
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    590
    Likes (Received)
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    I do not care. I think it amounts to nothing.

    Actually I checked the articles and video. On second thought I am glad that the FBI is investigating. Looks like there was too close a interaction. One truck almost ran into a smaller car. It was stupid.
    I am glad you think an investigation is in order. I would expect there will multiple traffic law violation charges brought against some who participated in that shenanigan .

  23. Likes Trueturning liked this post
  24. #9759
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    11,514
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    6204
    Likes (Received)
    3668

    Default

    Is this a video is the very divided America the far left TV keeps telling us about?



  25. #9760
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Posts
    6,635
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    So China was different being a totalitarian State. Travel not as free as in the Western world ...
    Just out of curiosity, where do you get this crap ? If you can afford a ticket, you can go wherever you want. In fact, since it is cheaper and more convenient, one could say travel in China is more free than the US.

    You need a reality check sometimes.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •