OT - opening up as best we can. AKA - is it still just the seasonal flu? - Page 49
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 49 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999149 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    . . . paying attention to the 239,000/month average US death figure.
    Could be that the best comparison we'll eventually get is "excess deaths." That is, the tens of thousands beyond what we'd normally expect. Seems it would be pretty easy to disentangle things like auto accidents from this -- not sure about, say, heart attacks. Here's one chart and one guesstimate. What really will tell the tale (for the chart) will be the next few weeks - if the new reported deaths continue to drop into the summer and as we open up:

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/imgLi...roughMay17.jpg

Estimates of excess deaths during pandemic show underreporting of Covid-19 fatalities

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post

I'm waiting to hear if any of those food processing folks who contracted the virus end up sick. So far, None in hospital.

Is it really a disease if you don't suffer from it?
    Is it really important to you that someone die from this disease before you'll believe it's real?

Well, this poor soul made that sacrifice. Perhaps you can do your part and start paying attention...

Tyson meat plant employee dies of Covid-19 weeks after major outbreak - CNN

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Is it really important to you that someone die from this disease before you'll believe it's real?

Well, this poor soul made that sacrifice. Perhaps you can do your part and start paying attention...

Tyson meat plant employee dies of Covid-19 weeks after major outbreak - CNN
    You are twisted.

But if one were to die, I would rather perish of the seasonal flu instead of the wuhan pneumonia.

Can't say why.....

4. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Exactly. This thread is one he started. Milland and him are the same as they love to watch themselves show off. Disgraceful actually.
    I think you've posted in this thread at least as much as PeteM has, perhaps more. For me, about 10-15% the number of posts as you. I would call you obsessive, but delusional seems a better fit.

6. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post
    You are twisted.
    Read my quote of yours in #962 and say that again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    What really will tell the tale (for the chart) will be the next few weeks - i

Pete, stop.
    Just stop please!

You know darn well none if it is going to be sorted out not in weeks or months, rather years perhaps decades even!

Hope we're all gonna be around say 5-10 years from now to discuss ...

Do you honestly believe we are under reporting ( claiming ) the deaths and over reporting ( diagnosing ) the confirmed cases?
    How'bout if we just wait 'till 01/30/2021, get the total deaths in the USA in 2020 and make a (still) premature assumption then about the total number of additional dead?
    And even then, we'll have no friggin' clue how many actually had it and spread it without ever showing any symptoms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pete, stop.
    Just stop please!

You know darn well none if it is going to be sorted out not in weeks or months, rather years perhaps decades even!

Hope we're all gonna be around say 5-10 years from now to discuss ...

Do you honestly believe we are under reporting ( claiming ) the deaths and over reporting ( diagnosing ) the confirmed cases?
    How'bout if we just wait 'till 01/30/2021, get the total deaths in the USA in 2020 and make a (still) premature assumption then about the total number of additional dead?
    And even then, we'll have no friggin' clue how many actually had it and spread it without ever showing any symptoms.
    Well, don't get your hopes up for anything meaningful from the CDC if past reporting is example.

Disease Burden of Influenza | CDC

Mortality estimate figures, high to low are 2:3 or even 2:1
    Halves or doubles are not anything I would be comfortable using to explain authoritarian actions.

I see a big issue with future excess mortality figures being muddied with deferred medical treatment, and social failings (Suicide, drugs etc) How will they be sorted is anyone's guess.

Heck, we all die, it's just a matter of when.

My plan is to die young! But very late in life... ;-)

10. Likes empwoer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pete, stop.
    Just stop please!

You know darn well none if it is going to be sorted out not in weeks or months, rather years perhaps decades even . . .
    What I think we'll know better in a few weeks is if the relative decline in both cases and deaths we're seeing in the past couple weeks has been due to social distancing. While pretty variable and only partially effective, most states have had some version of distancing. We're opening up pretty much across the country starting around this Monday. It's basically a big, poorly controlled, national experiment. But still an experiment.

If cases continue to drop, various hypotheses like "well it really doesn't like warm weather" will become more credible.

If cases and deaths start heading back up, then it's likely we'll want to be more serious about stuff like wearing masks when working and out and about.

I think total death counts are pretty accurate, but assigning causes of death not so accurate. If we see a lot of "excess deaths" beyond those nominally counted as CoVid, then we're likely under-counting. Could go the other way as well, with overcounting.

I'd agree with you we're not going to have all this figured out for a long time to come. All sorts of stuff we don't know. But the case and death trend a few weeks from now, especially in places going full throttle for it with large groups and no masks, will tell us a lot.

Asked to guess, I think cases are going to head back up. Others seem sure they are going to keep going down. Be happy to learn I'm wrong.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I think you've posted in this thread at least as much as PeteM has, perhaps more. For me, about 10-15% the number of posts as you. I would call you obsessive, but delusional seems a better fit.
    pot, meet kettle.

13. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by empwoer View Post
    pot, meet kettle.
    Kettle, meet black hole.

Hint - you've got your head so far up it, you may have to pull out to see it properly.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    Oh yes...Iím liberal if thatís what you mean. I do believe in a strong public health system. Stronger that what we have now. Hell, it was better in Louisiana before Jindal dismantled the Charity Hospital System. Fantastic Trauma Health Care. Any cop shot within 30 miles raced to Charity. If a cop was shot in Jefferson or St Bernard Parish, then every cop in the Three Parish area closed off every road...shut down on ramps of Interstate System just to get the dying cop to Charityís Trauma Team. Just superb medical care.
    And...if a cop was shot, then another cop would put injured cop in his back seat...radio the dispatcher and fly to Charity at 100 mph. They did it over and over and over for years. They would fly by all the private for profit hospitals to get their dying brother to Charity.
    FWIW....when I had my business I was a Republican. Because my dad was a Republican and so I was too. And Republicans wanted lower taxes. But, in my defense taxes were much much higher back then. We still had the inheritance tax and a top rate of 40%
    Back to Charity. It was considered the hospital of the poor. And it was. Anyone could go there and if you couldnít pay, so be it. If you were poor and had less than 2000 in the bank, it was a wash....no bill sent. But, if you had a lawsuit because you showed up at Charity with broken leg because a car ran into your motorcycle, then the state would have its hand out at your settlement.
    This was a fair system.

I changed to Democrat after visiting Charityís ER three times. Those were three of my nine lives. Hence, the Tim-9 lives. Iíve used a few of them up.

Got shot three times....once in the chest and both arms. Nicked my lungs. Definitely almost died. Actually I did die on the table. Got my last rights and remember waving the priest away...not wanting the last rights because I thought I was saved since I too drove like a madman bleeding and almost passing out just to get to Charity. I guess in my mind... I thought I was saved since I made it to Charityís ER.

And wrecked a suburban once...almost killing myself....and then, years later had a car fall on me....which was a thousand times worse than the gunshot. But the bottom line is that those visits to Charity...witnessing first hand a fantastic public health system...changed me to a Liberal. Yes...Government has its place in my opinion. Charity just fixed me. No calling an insurance company and getting approval to do a procedure which the doctor thought I needed. They just did it. They did fist class reconstruction to my back which had a shattered L-4 vertebrae. And FWIW...after 2 years in a wheelchair...I was fortunate. Iím walking. Barely....but still walking.

And FWIW...insurance paid for the gunshot, so the state got paid. And for the car falling on me....the State had its hand out there at my settlement. 250k settlement for a car falling on me paralyzing me from the waist down and the state took 125k.

No complaints here. Money is only a vehicle. God is good. I used 41k to buy a house a block from the river levee. Next to the Corps of Engineers. And I got it cheap because it was a boarded up HUD repo at the height of the crack epidemic. Who would have thought that because I was on the highest ground Uptown New Orleans...my house would shoot up in value. Iím not rich. But Iím not destitute either.
    Because I have bad credit because I was on disability and lost my business after getting hurt....I also have no secured debt. So even though my tenant canít pay me....I have no mortgage either. Two pieces of valuable property paid for. Yes...the virus is a bitch. But I say it all the time....Iíd rather be lucky than good. And I still consider myself lucky. Self pity is an absolutely useless emotion. It gets you nowhere. Itíll drive you to drugs or alcohol. I know....I was a heroin junkie too. And I loved it. But....itís also bad shit. My take is this....heroin is the Forbidden Fruit in the Bible. Bad shit dudes. 1000 times worse than any pill. Itíll grab you by the ass and have your life n itís total control after using it only a few times. Iíve never dealt with any drug like heroin. Bad shit. Meth ainít nothing compared to heroin. Truly the forbidden fruit.
    No....I donít blindly trust government nor do Hate government. Government has its place. A strong defense industry is what supports Americaís dollar reserve currency. Itís important guys. Itís why we have a strong standard of living. But thereís other important stuff too. Itís important for us to have a robust infrastructure along with decent public health.

We want to have a strong public health system for stuff like pandemics. All of these business men who thing you can go to Washington and just do away with the State Department, cut federal funding for states which are blue states.....and run America like a business are damned idiots.

So yes....after 60 years on earth... I am a proud liberal. I think we should try to make the world a better place. Are there things that should be fixed. Absolutely. And my biggest pet peeve. Welfare. You canít support the kids you have....then stop having babies. Hell, most everyone would like to have 5 or 6 kids. But itís expensive. And most working guys canít afford that. So if youíre on welfare and not working....then after the second kid...the government should cut the pay and benefits. Woman needs a Norplant in my opinion. Just basic shit guys.
    How absolutely disgusting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    Also, I keep seeing that "50 deaths in one nursing home" quoted but I can't seem to find an original source. It would help to know the facility including number of beds and past mismanagement complaints.
    and then
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    We do know that not only Covid-19 but also influenza hit nursing homes hard this year. I have heard that in some areas as many as 70% of "Covid" deaths are in nursing homes.

belating a lack of sources and follwing up with 'I have heard'

nice

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FJ1GQEYat_q5fj

Nearly 70 dead in ‘horrific’ outbreak at veterans home in Massachusetts

so there is that, in 30 seconds

17. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    To cover the topic of how to best reopen. With a first post showing how anyone relying on the old CDC guidelines (it was all about touching surfaces and hands to face) would likely be at risk. The newer assessment was that aerosol contamination looked like the bigger factor.

First time Trump was ever mentioned was Scottl in #35 saying he hopes it's not about Trump. Then again in #57 to be sure it would be. Still pretty much on topic, though, for 500 posts.

Your contributions have been to cluck from the sidelines (adding zero value) and drop likes as if they were fairy dust. Then, tell us how great Trump has been when the failure of early response gets around to him. Then, start attacking people or urge them to come to Jesus.

Might try that yourself. You've slandered just about everyone who disagrees with your endorsement of everything-Trump. Particularly if they get all uppity and cite facts and figures.

Back on topic - many areas are now opening wide up with a sense that it was either a hoax or now over. In part because it's being seen as a political rather than a medical problem. It seems likely (to me) that cases will spike again in many parts of the country - in part for not following the guidelines linked in post #1. Next two or three weeks will tell.
    Umm, sure. What about the second sentence of the title?

If that's not looking for a fight I don't know what is.....

Course, this thread will get locked and then some deprived mudslinger will start another one.

19. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PDW View Post
    100,579 dead now. That's more than the Korean War and Vietnam War combined. Closing in on the WW1 total now.

All in 3 months or so. Let's see, how many years of war did it take to kill that many?

Who was it again who was saying that it'd all be like magic and the new death count would drop to zero by April?

Do you feel that you're winning yet? Brazil is still giving you a run for your money I'm afraid.

PDW
    I am going to take a wild guess that the veterans of the Korean war or Vietnam war didn't have preexisting conditions, I doubt any of them were drafted into a war from a nursing home or hospice. You guys seem so fascinated with the death total of covid-19 yet nobody seems to be breaking down the conditions of the victims.

21. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Being a chart guy I guess I would say the downtrend in case load is broken.
    The open question is why..

597328ca-95a4-42e2-8822-b27cfd6f40a9.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    and then

belating a lack of sources and follwing up with 'I have heard'

nice

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...FJ1GQEYat_q5fj

Nearly 70 dead in ‘horrific’ outbreak at veterans home in Massachusetts

so there is that, in 30 seconds
    ooh...10 second rule...:
    What other coronavirus data is Dr. Acton hiding from Ohioans?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gustafson View Post
    Aha! Jokes > Aviation Jokes > Plane crash in Poland

"Figures don't lie, but Liars can figure"

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    I wonder how many people who died from Corona-virus in Nursing homes would have died soon anyway? Not sure where I read it, but it was said the average nursing home resident is 83 years old and only 50% survive more than 6 months in one. Pretty sure the death count in nursing homes is pretty high with or without Corona-virus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Aha! Jokes > Aviation Jokes > Plane crash in Poland

"Figures don't lie, but Liars can figure"
    Good ole Polish jokes, how long ago were those all the rage? 1960's, 1970's?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Good ole Polish jokes, how long ago were those all the rage? 1960's, 1970's?
    Here's one:
    So it was at the Olympic games one year, the wrestling tournament.
    There was a new Russian Wrestler, was winning every match, he had a "submission hold" and once you were in it, you were done for.

So the American wrestling coach was watching all of this, and when his wrestler came up against this Russian, he warned him "Do not let him get you into the submission hold".

So the match starts, and in about 3 minutes, the Russian has the American
    pinned in the submission hold.

30 seconds goes by, and then an explosion of arms and legs, the American
    comes out, and pins the Russian for the win.

Afterwards, the American coach asked his wrestler "What happened ?"

"Well, he had me in the submission hold, and I look up. Dangling in front
    of me is a hairy nut sack, so I bit it"
    "And it was MINE"......

28. Likes Mark Rand liked this post