OT - opening up as best we can. AKA - is it still just the seasonal flu? - Page 54
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 54 of 195 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104154 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 3899
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Straightedge View Post
    I don't take these gov't statistics any more seriously than the covid stats. Which is to say, not at all. But they're out there, and you'll notice that the news is very selective about which statistics they amplify and which they squelch.

That said, while at Stanford, I lived one year in EPA. Gunfire heard multiple nights every week, crazy drugged out blacks coming on the property all hours, pit bulls packing up and running around the streets, it was a seriously fucked up place. Nothing ever changed my views on race more than living in a 90% black neighborhood. It was straight-up dangerous. A guy doesn't need statisticians to tell him what his own eyes can plainly observe.

Most people can't even see because the media has brainwashed them into not seeing. That, and because of fear: certain truths, no matter how obvious, can no longer be spoken. And that goes way beyond race.
    Don't doubt your impressions of East Palo Alto -- though the town now has an Ikea.

Fliip side - I can recall an early Saturday morning breakfast down near Comerica Park in Detroit not all that long ago. Have family in the suburbs and was downtown for a pilgrimage to Kings Bookstore. Great breakfast place that looked to be filled with residents of "Wakanda." Filled with athletic middle-aged black guys, attractive black women, driving up in expensive cars, and having great fun and intelligent conversations at tables all around. All plainly observed with my own eyes, heard with my own two ears.

2. Likes Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    The way things are going in the US, ……..an outside observer could be forgiven for thinking that (shall we call them) ''certain political factions'' won't be happy until they have every citizen literally fighting another to the death.

I believe it's called ''divide and rule''

not just apparent to outsiders
    one of the problems of having for all practical purposes
    only a 2 party system

now a common mistake by the right extremest is thinking they are the
    only ones who own and know how to use guns,
    and just how seriously the military and police take the oath to protect the constitution

4. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like in Virginia it is now mandatory for shoppers to wear masks. That is what I was told by the guy who owns the local auto parts store. He said he would not be enforcing it. I found some N95's that are probably 15 years old bought for an employee who did deburring on scotch-brite wheels. I guess I will keep one in my vehicle.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    Antifa movement members are a bunch of useless assholes in my opinion. We had a ton of them flock to New Orleans after Katrina. They basically moved into peoples houses which were vacant because owners of houses were evacuated. They squatted and fought it in court when owners returned and tried to evict them. They are parasites who promote anarchy for Gods Sake.
    That’s why I say totalitarianism fits any political persuasion if not kept in check. It is part of human nature on one side and freedom on the other. Either way each tends to totalitarianism until Greece, Rome, and the United States. Include those we know a lot about Italy, Spain, England, and France. Then later include Germany. These are well known and really any European country understands. Stick together or hang separately as always has been. Me I am pro western and pro American - no regrets.

7. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    That’s why I say totalitarianism fits any political persuasion if not kept in check. It is part of human nature on one side and freedom on the other. Either way each tends to totalitarianism until Greece, Rome, and the United States. Include those we know a lot about Italy, Spain, England, and France. Then later include Germany. These are well known and really any European country understands. Stick together or hang separately as always has been. Me I am pro western and pro American - no regrets.
    We are becoming like Europe- enough history behind the factions for them to have properly stewed in their juices.
    I am hopeful we see a reversal and get back on track.

We need a alien invasion or some other touchstone like an existential threat to bind us together.
    Global warming?
    That should do it eh..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone notice that most people who riot and destroy things are likely to vote for Democrats? Pretty sure even people rioting when celebrating their local sports team's championship lean to the left as they are mostly young.

10. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Anyone notice that most people who riot and destroy things are likely to vote for Democrats? Pretty sure even people rioting when celebrating their local sports team's championship lean to the left as they are mostly young.
    And you got that statistical insight by showing up at Neo-Nazi rallies, clinic bombings, Hell's Angels festivities, rural meth labs, Ku Klux Klan meetings, or 39 of the 50 politically-motivated mass shootings detailed here?

Opinion | Conservatism Has a Violence Problem - The New York Times

Trump's own FBI director said 2019 was the worst year for domestic terrorism since the Oklahoma City Bombings - citing white supremicists and others. He didn't go on note Trump himself urging "some of these are very good people.":

2019 'Deadliest' Year for Domestic Terrorism, Says FBI Director | Voice of America - English

My take is that if we're going to start politically stereotyping people, we ought to have at least four big categories -- those on the political left, the middle, and the political right -- and those losers who really don't give a crap about politics but just want to justify mayhem. The latter including both Antifa (itself spawned in reaction to the far right), Neo Nazis, teenage looters, etc. Wouldn't surprise me that the latter category - people who largely don't even vote but just riot and shoot up -- are the major source of the carnage.

So, no, I ddin't notice that violent offenders are mostly likely to vote Democratic. Maybe not even Republican either.

12. Likes tim9lives, Screwmachine, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    Don't doubt your impressions of East Palo Alto -- though the town now has an Ikea.

Fliip side - I can recall an early Saturday morning breakfast down near Comerica Park in Detroit not all that long ago. Have family in the suburbs and was downtown for a pilgrimage to Kings Bookstore. Great breakfast place that looked to be filled with residents of "Wakanda." Filled with athletic middle-aged black guys, attractive black women, driving up in expensive cars, and having great fun and intelligent conversations at tables all around. All plainly observed with my own eyes, heard with my own two ears.
    Notice the difference?

Flip side - I can recall an early Saturday morning breakfast down near Comerica Park in Detroit not all that long ago. Have family in the suburbs and was downtown for a pilgrimage to Kings Bookstore. Great breakfast place that looked to be filled with residents of "New Prague." Filled with athletic middle-aged white guys, attractive white women, driving up in expensive cars, and having great fun and intelligent conversations at tables all around. All plainly observed with my own eyes, heard with my own two ears.

What makes your anecdote noteworthy is that it's unusual. You only have to replace "black" with "white" and suddenly you'll never raise an eyebrow because it's the norm in most upper middle class areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Straightedge View Post
    . . . What makes your anecdote noteworthy is that it's unusual. You only have to replace "black" with "white" and suddenly you'll never raise an eyebrow because it's the norm in most upper middle class areas.
    Pretty sure that breakfast anecdote would look the same way, every day, in that upper middle class black community. Same as your expererience in a drug-ridden black neighborhood. Difference is one is aspirational. the other not. Not that skin color was the cause of either one.

Same experiment could be repeated in rural white American. Trailer trash, doing drugs, committing crimes, neglecting their kids. Every day. And rural communities filled with hard working people, great neighborhoods, kids making the best of themselves.

FWIW, I had a similar "unusual" breakfast experience in "Mayberry" North Carolina. Almost as memorable, if not as aspirational, as the one in downtown Detroit. Family there as well. Only this time the food was lousy and the older businessmen I was having breakfast with spent the morning mostly bashing blacks, Obama, and their golf games. Just guessing the conversation -- and that anecdote -- might still be much the same today.

My understanding is that crack cocaine was behind much of East Palo Alto's problems. Meth, then opioids, for much white rural America's problems. Be nice if someone at Stanford came up for a cure for addiction. That could solve lots of problems here and abroad.

15. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Mr. trump agrees with you 100 percent.
    If a looter or rioter came in your front door with a lit torch what would you doo ?

17. Likes Scottl, SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ever notice that most people who like to speculate with no actual facts or knowledge tend to vote for Republicans? Pretty sure even people at Trump rallies wearing MAGA hats tend to be old, white and stupid.

See how that works?

19. Likes tim9lives, Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jancollc...the USA could and should have done better. Of course...that’s my opinion. And we all know opinions are like assholes. We all have one.

But, Europe was hit first. America saw the death in Italy. It was on TV....hospitals overrun and military trucks carrying bodies to mass graves.

We have the wherewithal and resources to do better. Unfortunately, there’s a mindset that big government is bad. When a pandemic hits you want big government. You want the resources with the veteran professional workers in place. You can’t just hire them when you need them.

Furthermore don’t forget. Our Secretary of State sent 17.4 tons of PPE to Russia. Those masks and gowns were paid for by our taxpayers and should have been saved for our first responders and front line medical Workers.

It’s a damned disgrace to see nurses wearing garbage bags. Also...60 minutes covered one of the last major PPE N95 mask manufacturing companies which had only one of its 6 manufacturing lines still in production. The owner begged this administration to increase production. He begged the, but couldn’t get squat. I don’t get it. In all honesty I don’t see how anyone could be this incompetent. It’s just shockingly scary. An idiot could’ve and would’ve done a better job.

And by the way. That’s a good link of country deaths and statistics. But....the UK had Boris who was also Pooh Poohing the Pandemic until he caught it and almost died. He now sees the light. Germany, South Korea Taiwan all did a fantastic job. They are about 1/3 of where we are. We could and should be equals to them. No excuses in my opinion.

One more thing....it’s also obvious that a lot of worldwide data is flawed. Just look at Turkey, China and Brazil. We all know they are full of shit. Their death rates are much higher. If someone dies and then there’s no testing for CV19....then it doesn’t count. Obviously that’s what’s going on. But I have no doubt that some sharp young journalists will dig into the total deaths in those countries. And compared to the past ten years averaged deaths....well then We’re going to have a better picture. It’s a fricking mess and I just wish our country was doing a better job.

I remember when politicians always put America first. As flawed as Nixon was...he was still a patriot. He stepped down instead of fighting an impeachment. He was a patriot but was also seriously flawed and very paranoid.

21. Likes Milland, Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post

The crack epidemic in America was bad for every city and everyone. It’s was a crime ridden time when crack heads and crime was rampant. I had my shop in a mostly working class black neighborhood. And there were some really fantastic black homeowners who would have put there life down for me. We were friends and I opened up in that neighborhood when I was a naive 21 y/o.
    After years of getting to know many of my neighbors I realized most people are the same. All most of mankind really wants is to raise their children and give their children better lives than they had. In the end...what else is there ?

It our legacy.

Anyway...the crack epidemic of the 80’s and 90’s wrecked lives and caused children to break in parents houses to steal from parents. It devastated many of my neighbors. And these were good hard working middle class people who owned their houses and took pride in their jobs. But no matter how hard anyone tries...there is no real handbook on raising children. We just fall in love, have kids....do our best to give them good lives. Unfortunately when something shows up like crack....the most psychologically addictive stimulant out there....it’s hard to fix a 16 y/o crack head.

Anyway....yeah. I remember it well. I had guns stashed all over my 5000 sf shop. And I strapped a p225 on my side from morning to evening. And yeah, I was scared. Many of my neighboring business owners were victims of armed robberies and smash grabs where they would just drive a stolen car through the front door.

It was bad in each and every city across America. And then...a few years later the rural areas got hit with the meth epidemic.
    Anyway it’s not a racial issue. It’s a socio economic issue. A rich rock and roller probably does more drugs than any urban crack head. The difference is the rock and rollers pay for their drugs. The urban crack head steals from neighbors and families.

23. Likes Tyrone Shoelaces liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Consider ANTIFA.

25. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bucktruck View Post
    Ever notice that most people who like to speculate with no actual facts or knowledge tend to vote for Republicans? Pretty sure even people at Trump rallies wearing MAGA hats tend to be old, white and stupid.

See how that works?
    A needless wash on this. A standoff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is going to be a hard weekend- be safe everyone.

28. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Consider ANTIFA.
    Exactly correct. These Antifa assholes and other gutter punk types are nothing more than parasites. I am willing to bet that it was a few outsiders who showed up and then riled up the crowds....INCITING RIOT AND FIREBOMBS... molotov cocktails. It’s what they do. I haven’t figured out their supporters yet. Do they get money from online supporters or online scamming.
    Maybe a Putin’s Russia thing,

Antifa is worldwide. And we do have them in the USA. They are just parasites. But I have no doubt that the outsiders came to town and organized rioting and burning down historic buildings just a shame.

And you know...the sad thing about this is Dereck Chauvin now put Targets on the backs of cops nationwide .
    That’s what happened in Dallas about 9 years ago. Remember that. Poor guys were gunned down by a young disturbed sick black man. Hell... I think he even killed a couple of black cops.

That’s why they need to rid police departments of these bad cops like Derick Chauvin.
    I can tell you one thing I have personally witnessed in the last 10 years. Mitch Landreau was Mayor of New Orleans and under his Administration..... the New Orleans Police Department was put under Federal Oversite. It really worked. They truly clean up the NOPD. Once the department came under Federal Oversite...an FBI Agent and Justice Department personnel were at the police headquarters monitoring all arrests. All of the rouge cops started retiring and left the NOPD

The stupid traffic stops which were happening to everyone in New Orleans just immediately ended. And crime has not gone up. We just don’t have all of the bad police brutality cases and bogus arrests.

30. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Black Bloc tactic is worldwide.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    Exactly correct. These Antifa assholes and other gutter punk types are nothing more than parasites. I am willing to bet that it was a few outsiders who showed up and then riled up the crowds....INCITING RIOT AND FIREBOMBS... molotov cocktails. It’s what they do. I haven’t figured out their supporters yet. Do they get money from online supporters or online scamming.
    Maybe a Putin’s Russia thing,

Antifa is worldwide. And we do have them in the USA. They are just parasites. But I have no doubt that the outsiders came to town and organized rioting and burning down historic buildings just a shame.

And you know...the sad thing about this is Dereck Chauvin now put Targets on the backs of cops nationwide .
    That’s what happened in Dallas about 9 years ago. Remember that. Poor guys were gunned down by a young disturbed sick black man. Hell... I think he even killed a couple of black cops.

That’s why they need to rid police departments of these bad cops like Derick Chauvin.
    I can tell you one thing I have personally witnessed in the last 10 years. Mitch Landreau was Mayor of New Orleans and under his Administration..... the New Orleans Police Department was put under Federal Oversite. It really worked. They truly clean up the NOPD. Once the department came under Federal Oversite...an FBI Agent and Justice Department personnel were at the police headquarters monitoring all arrests. All of the rouge cops started retiring and left the NOPD

The stupid traffic stops which were happening to everyone in New Orleans just immediately ended. And crime has not gone up. We just don’t have all of the bad police brutality cases and bogus arrests.
    9 That is very interesting. I like New Orleans and your state. I like the Cajuns a lot. My family does also. Florida is so closely linked to Louisiana and generally the whole south. It is just a thing. Like minded friendly.

Hope your city, you, and your state fair well in these hard times.

33. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Consider ANTIFA.
    Its true, all eleven "members" of ANTIFA would never vote democratic, as they consider the democrats to be way too right wing.

35. Likes tim9lives liked this post