OT - opening up as best we can. AKA - is it still just the seasonal flu? - Page 55
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 55 of 165 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 3296
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    If a looter or rioter came in your front door with a lit torch what would you doo ?
    Dunno. I'll get back to you when our police dept. kills an innocent man on our streets. What would you dooo if your cops executed a no-knock warrent at your
    house by mistake in the middle of the night? Start shooting, right? You'd winnd upppp dead.

2. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    9 That is very interesting. I like New Orleans and your state. I like the Cajuns a lot. My family does also. Florida is so closely linked to Louisiana and generally the whole south. It is just a thing. Like minded friendly.

Hope your city, you, and your state fair well in these hard times.
    Thanks for the kind words. And you’re right about the southern states. I used to drive to Destin Florida every chance I got when I was younger. I just loved it. Lots of good memories. A lot of New Orleanians have Condos there. And it’s an easy 3-1/2 hour drive.

New Orleans is an interesting city. Trust me, we do have problems and issues with corruption here going back 100 years. That’s just the nature of the beast. Oil equals money and power. And lots of poorer people lost their farms and mineral rites back in the 20’s and 30’s when oil was first being developed on a large scale. I could name a few examples but one of the more blatant was the Bonnie Carrie Spillway project. The Orleans Levee Board basically stole the mineral rights of annexed land that was needed for the spillway project. It all came to light and was a huge settlement a few decades back. But that goes on everywhere once oil gets discovered. Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana. It just happened. And the thing about that old oil money is that those families are just still filthy rich even today.

That said.....one thing that has always fascinated me is that even though we have always had our racial issues here like other parts of the country. We’ve had our brutality killings. And even in the 60’s....there was tension during the Martin Luther King assassination rioting times. Las Angelas burned. There were riots in Detroit too. But New Orleans has never had riots. Racially we just don’t have those snapping points like that.

Anyway I’ve tried to figure out why. And the best thing I can come out with is the Mardi Gras. Every year....whites and blacks stand on the streets enjoying the parades. It’s always about the children. And we all get along pretty good during Mardi Gras. I remember seeing it so many times....a black family sharing BBQ chicken and hot dogs with the white family next to them . And visa-versa. It just the norm Mardi Gras day.

I really think that’s helped us. Who knows. Just an observation. That said...economically though...we’re a tourist city. Between restaurants and tourism I’m guessing we’re down by 20% job wise. And it’s going to be a while before this city recovers. I’m sure we’re not alone. But I think a lot of families are seriously hurting all over America. And it’s just a shame. People’s lives and dreams shattered. And it didn’t have to happen.
    Last edited by tim9lives; 05-30-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    We are becoming like Europe- enough history behind the factions for them to have properly stewed in their juices.
    I am hopeful we see a reversal and get back on track.

We need a alien invasion or some other touchstone like an existential threat to bind us together.
    Global warming?

That should do it eh..
    Some reasonable folk could be forgiven for thinking a lethal pandemic would have done that trick, ?????????????????????? maybe one hundred thousand deaths (and rising) isn't enough.

5. Likes Milland, 72bwhite liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Dunno. I'll get back to you when our police dept. kills an innocent man on our streets. What would you dooo if your cops executed a no-knock warrent at your
    house by mistake in the middle of the night? Start shooting, right? You'd winnd upppp dead.
    That's not the question I asked, please provide an answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's not the question I asked, please provide an answer.
    He has, said he didn't know.

8. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Lol Jim they would be making a mistake busting down your front door. They would live long to regret ever darkening your door.

They will say yeah “life was good as a cop sleeping with other people’s wives, making illicit money, and delivering vigilante justice until we picked on the mad scientist. “.

They deserve your wrath Jim. I cheer you on.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    Thanks for the kind words. And you’re right about the southern states. I used to drive to Destin Florida every chance I got when I was younger. I just loved it. Lots of good memories. A lot of New Orleanians have Condos there. And it’s an easy 3-1/2 hour drive.

New Orleans is an interesting city. Trust me, we do have problems and issues with corruption here going back 100 years. That’s just the nature of the beast. Oil equals money and power. And lots of poorer people lost their farms and mineral rites back in the 20’s and 30’s when oil was first being developed on a large scale. I could name a few examples but one of the more blatant was the Bonnie Carrie Spillway project. The Orleans Levee Board basically stole the mineral rights of annexed land that was needed for the spillway project. It all came to light and was a huge settlement a few decades back. But that goes on everywhere once oil gets discovered. Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana. It just happened. And the thing about that old oil money is that those families are just still filthy rich even today.

That said.....one thing that has always fascinated me is that even though we have always had our racial issues here like other parts of the country. We’ve had our brutality killings. And even in the 60’s....there was tension during the Martin Luther King assassination rioting times. Las Angelas burned. There were riots in Detroit too. But New Orleans has never had riots. Racially we just don’t have those snapping points like that.

Anyway I’ve tried to figure out why. And the best thing I can come out with is the Marci Gras. Every year....whites and blacks stand on the streets enjoying the parades. It’s always about the children. And we all get along pretty good during Mardi Gras. I remember seeing it so many times....a black family sharing BBQ chicken and hot dogs with the white family next to them . And visa-versa. It just the norm Mardi Gras day.

I really think that’s helped us. Who knows. Just an observation. That said...economically though...we’re a tourist city. Between restaurants and tourism I’m guessing we’re down by 20% job wise. And it’s going to be a while before this city recovers. I’m sure we’re not alone. But I think a lot of families are seriously hurting all over America. And it’s just a shame. People’s lives and dreams shattered. And it didn’t have to happen.
    I like the history Tim. You are right it is better when the races spend time together and when they do they become friends. In reality this is being human. Over all that and working together we bond as one country. America has its problems yet at the end of the day we are one people. This protest is only what humans do when backed up against the wall. Wars, rebellions, and civil unrest is always motivated by something. Oppressed people will turn away from the plow and take a stand. In Hong Kong this is acceptable yet here in America it is different. One man’s freedom fighter is another man’s terrorist so to speak.

Let’s hope law enforcement is reformed because it oppresses all and is above due process. Above the law.

11. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    I like the history Tim. You are right it is better when the races spend time together and when they do they become friends. In reality this is being human. Over all that and working together we bond as one country. America has its problems yet at the end of the day we are one people. This protest is only what humans do when backed up against the wall. Wars, rebellions, and civil unrest is always motivated by something. Oppressed people will turn away from the plow and take a stand. In Hong Kong this is acceptable yet here in America it is different. One man’s freedom fighter is another man’s terrorist so to speak.

Let’s hope law enforcement is reformed because it oppresses all and is above due process. Above the law.
    A big part of the problem is the War on Drugs. It’s been going on since the end of the Vietnam War and was only put into action because Nixon was fearful of returning GI’s who were hooked on super cheap heroin which was supplied by the Golden Triangle.

The war on drugs is an absolutely racist war. It’s been studied over and over and over. The truth is that 18 to 30 year olds just use a lot of the drugs. It happens in suburbs, college campuses and urban poor minority neighborhoods. Yet the police close their eyes on college campuses, totally handing off that policing to college police. And college police slap the wrist and at worse send junior home. No real consequences there.

Middle class suburban neighborhoods have busts....but that’s only when the dealer is stupid and sells to someone who’s a rat. Then you have the occasional policing there. Usually that first offender is out on bail in a day or two. But make no mistake guys. Probably 50% of young employees at many, many businesses use drugs. I know it was impossible to find an employee 30 years ago who wasn’t using. Studies have put the number at about 50% of blue collar white workers use drugs recreationally. That’s a fact.

But....police look at poorer black neighborhoods as high crime. So they concentrate policing there. Most of the anti drug efforts go on in poor neighborhoods. Of course they make more arrests there. Duhh ....
    More incarceration of blacks is the end results. And blacks can’t get the bail money so they sit in jail.

The war on drugs has only made things much worse. In fact, I’m betting most of those Antifa assholes are 20 y/o ‘s whose father was missing because he was in jail for 10 years on a drug charge. So of course they hate authority. Authorities took daddy away.

No doubt that all of this anger is made much worse because of the drug war. Cops are portrayed as your enemies when you’re a 20 y/o who is always just smoking weed. That 20 y/o of course is always going to feel cops are the enemy because the kid is looking in the mirror seeing a lawbreaker. He’s always smoking weed. But he’s harmless....no matter what his race is. He’s just a harmless kid.

War on drugs and criminalization of drugs has made things much worse. And the riots are the results.

Plus.... it’s also very well known in the black neighborhoods that there are almost always some dirty cops who just shake drug dealers down. Stop them....pull them over...and steal the cash and drugs. Some of these dirty cops would even then be selling the drugs to their dealers. They would protect one gang....police the others. Happens all the time.

When I had my shop in New Orleans....my neighborhood was controlled by 3 dirty cops kind of like that movie... Training Day.
    Two were brothers. These guys pulled people over, handcuffed them...and delivered them to gang members. The victims were then tortured and killed. The cops all got caught and confessed everything.
    These guys were working in unison with the head crack dealer in that neighborhood. And I was located 4 blocks from Tulane University. Let me tell you....this was a very, very lucrative drug market where the University students would be seen driving up all day long buy drugs from the street corner dealers. It was wide open. And EVERYONE KNEW FOR YEARS...THESE 3 cops were running the neighborhood.
    Here’s an article on one who got busted finally.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/bluewall/link2.html

The war on drugs has been an absolute failure. If I wanted heroin right this minute....it would take me less than an hour to find some. And it’s been 20 years since I used....so I don’t know any dealers. You just need to drive around...ask a few questions....and bingo. It ain’t rocket science. A total failure.

Furthermore, policing should be concentrated on violent crime. Forget about some kid using drugs. If he’s not hurting anyone.... why lock him up for 5 years. Locking him up almost guarantees he will become a criminal.

13. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By the way. I know many people think it’s crazy what I said above....crazy to say end the war on drugs.

That doesn’t mean making drugs legal on a wholesale level. Drugs can still be illegal. Running a red light is illegal and we don’t lock people up when they are caught running a red light.

But running a red light or speeding while they are illegal....they are not considered criminal acts. Getting drunk isn’t a criminal act. Very few people are in prison because they are alcoholics.

Anyway....drugs should be decriminalized. Plain and simple. Still illegal to use cocaine. And if you use cocaine while driving then you lose your license. But if ones only crime is that he or she was using cocaine... then there’s likely not any other victims. No victims then it shouldn’t be a criminal act. Hurt somebody....then that’s the criminal act. Pretty simple stuff.

Prohibition just never works.

On a side note....finally the Mn Governor realize that these are outsiders. Antifa and those sorts. His estimate is that 80% of the crowds are outsiders.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post

Prohibition just never works.
    Prohibition was the biggest gov't failure to protect its country. To this day I can't undersatnd why we are concerned about led based paint when alcohol and drug use in general kills more people annually than lead over time. All should be illegal imo. And no, I'm not a relgious nut. If you can't see the science behind it... I don't know what to say.

Without alcohol and drug use, this country would be are more efficient, stronger and productive in general not to mention the prevention of medical costs/ shortened life spans caused by underlying health conditions caused by the drug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

wheres the line in the sand?

bet theres just as many serious injuries and deaths from so called "safe" prescription drugs.....probably more.....sometimes it only takes a single dose and youre screwed for life.

somewhere some poor bastard is staring out the window of his padded room focusing on the gnat 1000yds off in the distance,with a brain virus, a taint infection, and tardive dyskinesia thinkin maybe he should have just lived with his restless leg syndrome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy1966 View Post
    Prohibition was the biggest gov't failure to protect its country. To this day I can't undersatnd why we are concerned about led based paint when alcohol and drug use in general kills more people annually than lead over time. All should be illegal imo. And no, I'm not a relgious nut. If you can't see the science behind it... I don't know what to say.

Without alcohol and drug use, this country would be are more efficient, stronger and productive in general not to mention the prevention of medical costs/ shortened life spans caused by underlying health conditions caused by the drug.
    There is a major flaw in your proposal, and it is biological in nature. While certain plants can produce drugs the growing of them at scale is detectable and new seed stocks would usually have to be imported.

Alcohol on the other hand can be fermented from many types of grains, fruits and vegetables, even potatoes. Production of alcoholic beverages has existed since ancient times and can even be done in a small apartment. You don't have to grow the ingredients yourself and they can be purchased at any market.

Also, for every drunk driver and drunken wife beater there are many more who drink responsibly and lead full productive lives. As prohibition showed, when legal alcohol is banned illegal alcohol proliferates. Even POWs and prison inmates have managed to produce alcohol so stopping the rest of us? Fugettaboutit!

Drugs are a separate issue and I agree that putting users in prison is counterproductive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    And you got that statistical insight by showing up at Neo-Nazi rallies, clinic bombings, Hell's Angels festivities, rural meth labs, Ku Klux Klan meetings, or 39 of the 50 politically-motivated mass shootings detailed here?

Opinion | Conservatism Has a Violence Problem - The New York Times

Trump's own FBI director said 2019 was the worst year for domestic terrorism since the Oklahoma City Bombings - citing white supremicists and others. He didn't go on note Trump himself urging "some of these are very good people.":

2019 'Deadliest' Year for Domestic Terrorism, Says FBI Director | Voice of America - English

My take is that if we're going to start politically stereotyping people, we ought to have at least four big categories -- those on the political left, the middle, and the political right -- and those losers who really don't give a crap about politics but just want to justify mayhem. The latter including both Antifa (itself spawned in reaction to the far right), Neo Nazis, teenage looters, etc. Wouldn't surprise me that the latter category - people who largely don't even vote but just riot and shoot up -- are the major source of the carnage.

So, no, I ddin't notice that violent offenders are mostly likely to vote Democratic. Maybe not even Republican either.
    You are as biased as the day is long. Why did you even waste your time posting this? For every act like the above perpetrated by people leaning right lefties probably commit two dozen of them.

19. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    Some reasonable folk could be forgiven for thinking a lethal pandemic would have done that trick, ?????????????????????? maybe one hundred thousand deaths (and rising) isn't enough.

One would think 37,000 would be enough, but remainers remain.....

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a typical radical leftist Antifa members answer, when pushed back upon.
    Deny, obfuscate, deflect.

I know I would follow the laws of my commonwealth to the letter.

Unfortunately Heir Jim's state doesn't allow nearly as much.

Now how about a clear concise answer there Jim ?

Everyone else let Jim answer for himself, he fired the shot across the bow, need to answer for it.

22. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you. As mentioned we have had no rogue cops here in town, so I cannot say. The no-knock
    question back was in reference to the lady that got killed when the police (driving unmarked cars) came into
    a neighborhood recently and executed the no-knock on the wrong house. The owner opened fire and was
    shot by the police, along with the lady, who died.

The handgun was a legal possesion BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now how about a clear concise answer there Jim ?
    Looking back in your posts, I cannot find any question, amid all the insults. Aside from the one
    I already answered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    . . . Why did you even waste your time posting this? For every act like the above perpetrated by people leaning right lefties probably commit two dozen of them.
    "Probably" - in your own mind, Dualkit. Hell, I don't even know what "leaning right lefities" are.

But I did challenge your assumption that " (anyone else notice). . . most people who riot and destroy things are likely to vote for Democrats?" And extended it to the even greater problem of assault and murder. One thing to break a store window. Another to kill someone for their religion, race, or politics.

Feel free to find a credible study of all terrorist violence, fire bombings etc. -- politically motivated -- sorted by the voting records (Democrat and Republican) of the perpetrators. Then tell me if the fears and prejudices running around in your head -- and spilling out into this forum -- still make sense. You normally seem a solid guy -- but this notion that Democrat voters are the 24:1 cause of our mass killings and other violence boggles the mind.

My guesstimate is that most of this violence is by people who aren't even politically active (meaning at least registered to vote and actually voting). Ditto for the average drug-related crime - black or white. Remember only about half our voting age population even bothers to register and vote in any given election. Violent crime isn't mostly a voting preference thing -- it's a violence preference thing.

And I'll stand by the data -- including the link above from the current administration -- that shows terrorism and mass killings, when politically motivated, to be predominately from either right wing or anti-government perpetrators.

Now, had you said "ever notice how the largest peaceful marches on Washington seem to be organized by the political left (women and blacks wanting equal rights, for example)?" you might well be right. Personally, can't recall ever joining a march, unless July 4th parades as a kid count. In this country they don't seem effective compared to, say, a boycott or actually voting for change. And are too easily co-opted by those more eager to run wild than register to vote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not when you have an administration who wants to use it for political gain

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If a looter or rioter came in your front door with a lit torch what would you doo ?
    well only one thing to do make them good rioters