OT - opening up as best we can. AKA - is it still just the seasonal flu? - Page 57
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 57 of 184 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 3665
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    Anyone else notice how the party of supposed "tolerance" (Democrats)spew hatred and disrespect toward white middle aged males? They only "tolerate" your beliefs if you think exactly like they do.
    Have you ever noticed how stupid a statement like the above is? I mean, read it back to yourself. If you still believe it, I have bad news for you...

2. Likes Greg White, tim9lives, bucktruck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    I'm guessing PM is 90% middle-aged white males, with a wide "middle" from a bit before 30 to guys like Thermite complaining about liberals at the other end of the age spectrum? Just judging on his anecdotes, he's at least 120 by now?

All but a few women have given up on the place. A few young dudes interested in machining -- and good for them -- but it's probably not the occupation most kids pick when asked "what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Look in the mirror and I'd guess we're pretty much the same, regardless of what notions besides machining (engineering, manufacturing, etc.) are rolling around in our heads. Seems (to me) just a fraction of old white guys name calling other old white guys . . . most of us more or less respectfully (yourself included) just sharing fact or opinions; some more fanciful than others.
    The difference is I try to understand a person's opposing views, like my neighbor who retired from the post office being a Democrat, he votes with his wallet. Around here all I see is hate from our noisy Democrats toward people who do not think like them. This is a strange place as most everyone I have met in manufacturing that was in management was Republican, yet we seem to have lots of Democrats here, that claim to be in positions of authority in the manufacturing field. This is a strange place, on a wild guess I figure our resident Democrats aren't as important as they think they are, in their place of employment.

5. Likes Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The difference is I try to understand a person's opposing views, like my neighbor who retired from the post office being a Democrat, he votes with his wallet. Around here all I see is hate from our noisy Democrats toward people who do not think like them. This is a strange place as most everyone I have met in manufacturing that was in management was Republican, yet we seem to have lots of Democrats here, that claim to be in positions of authority in the manufacturing field. This is a strange place, on a wild guess I figure our resident Democrats aren't as important as they think they are, in their place of employment.
    Not everyone wants to climb the great pole. Some of us enjoyed the physical and mental challenges that working with your hands and actually building machines etc brings.

When I was a young apprentice I watched what the guys in the offices did and I decided that being desk bound wasn't for me. It didn't stop me getting as much culture and knowledge into my life as I could outside of work.

The most intelligent and well read guy I ever knew was the company internal postman at my first job. He'd been to Cambridge University as a young man. He worked to live, not the other way around.

Another guy I knew that had been a maths graduate at Cambridge University was managing a bookmakers shop for Ladbrokes. He loved horse racing and that was his idea of a perfect job.

Regards Tyrone.

7. Likes tim9lives, Limy Sami, Screwmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    A big part of the problem is the War on Drugs. Itís been going on since the end of the Vietnam War and was only put into action because Nixon was fearful of returning GIís who were hooked on super cheap heroin which was supplied by the Golden Triangle.

The war on drugs is an absolutely racist war. Itís been studied over and over and over. The truth is that 18 to 30 year olds just use a lot of the drugs. It happens in suburbs, college campuses and urban poor minority neighborhoods. Yet the police close their eyes on college campuses, totally handing off that policing to college police. And college police slap the wrist and at worse send junior home. No real consequences there.

Middle class suburban neighborhoods have busts....but thatís only when the dealer is stupid and sells to someone whoís a rat. Then you have the occasional policing there. Usually that first offender is out on bail in a day or two. But make no mistake guys. Probably 50% of young employees at many, many businesses use drugs. I know it was impossible to find an employee 30 years ago who wasnít using. Studies have put the number at about 50% of blue collar white workers use drugs recreationally. Thatís a fact.

But....police look at poorer black neighborhoods as high crime. So they concentrate policing there. Most of the anti drug efforts go on in poor neighborhoods. Of course they make more arrests there. Duhh ....
    More incarceration of blacks is the end results. And blacks canít get the bail money so they sit in jail.

The war on drugs has only made things much worse. In fact, Iím betting most of those Antifa assholes are 20 y/o Ďs whose father was missing because he was in jail for 10 years on a drug charge. So of course they hate authority. Authorities took daddy away.

No doubt that all of this anger is made much worse because of the drug war. Cops are portrayed as your enemies when youíre a 20 y/o who is always just smoking weed. That 20 y/o of course is always going to feel cops are the enemy because the kid is looking in the mirror seeing a lawbreaker. Heís always smoking weed. But heís harmless....no matter what his race is. Heís just a harmless kid.

War on drugs and criminalization of drugs has made things much worse. And the riots are the results.

Plus.... itís also very well known in the black neighborhoods that there are almost always some dirty cops who just shake drug dealers down. Stop them....pull them over...and steal the cash and drugs. Some of these dirty cops would even then be selling the drugs to their dealers. They would protect one gang....police the others. Happens all the time.

When I had my shop in New Orleans....my neighborhood was controlled by 3 dirty cops kind of like that movie... Training Day.
    Two were brothers. These guys pulled people over, handcuffed them...and delivered them to gang members. The victims were then tortured and killed. The cops all got caught and confessed everything.
    These guys were working in unison with the head crack dealer in that neighborhood. And I was located 4 blocks from Tulane University. Let me tell you....this was a very, very lucrative drug market where the University students would be seen driving up all day long buy drugs from the street corner dealers. It was wide open. And EVERYONE KNEW FOR YEARS...THESE 3 cops were running the neighborhood.
    Hereís an article on one who got busted finally.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/bluewall/link2.html

The war on drugs has been an absolute failure. If I wanted heroin right this minute....it would take me less than an hour to find some. And itís been 20 years since I used....so I donít know any dealers. You just need to drive around...ask a few questions....and bingo. It ainít rocket science. A total failure.

Furthermore, policing should be concentrated on violent crime. Forget about some kid using drugs. If heís not hurting anyone.... why lock him up for 5 years. Locking him up almost guarantees he will become a criminal.

You know....Iím not trying to beat a dead dog....but I canít help my curious mind. Anyway I was thinking more about the riots. And Iím convinced a major reason for this is unemployment among young kids. China free trade must end. China does have an end game...and thatís to dominate. Europe and America better wake up and realize that when 18 to 30 year olds have no jobs....we end up with revolution. History proves this.

And China cheats. They are not playing by the Western Worldís Playbooks. They violate Patent Law Intellectual Property. They cheat at currency rules of international trade. And they are causing worldwide unemployment to rise at unprecedented levels in both Europe and America. It must end. But....America needs the European Unionís help to play this game against China. The only way to whip China into conforming with International Trade Laws is by wholesale bans of trade with them. China cheats.

But....thereís more to my rant. And thatís with these riots. I have no doubt that the War On Drugs is fueling this crap. Heavy handed police tactics related to drug laws has fueled these riots. And the answer is to decriminalize drugs.

Portugal decriminalized drugs 20 years ago. The country did not go to hell. In fact...it can be argued that itís now better. Some decreases in drug usage and some increases. But deaths and homicides are down.

From Wiki. Drug policy of Portugal - Wikipedia

There is little reliable information about drug use, injecting behaviour or addiction treatment in Portugal before 2001, when general population surveys commenced. Until then, there were the indicators on lifetime prevalence amongst youth, collected as part of the European School Survey Project on Alcohol and Other Drugs (ESPAD), and some other (less reliable) data available through the EMCDDA.[17]

Thorough studies on how the various efforts have been implemented were not conducted. Thus, a causal effect between strategy efforts and these developments cannot be firmly established.[11] There are, however, statistical indicators that suggest the following correlations between the drug strategy and the following developments, from July 2001 up to 2007:

Increased uptake of treatment (roughly 60% increase as of 2012.)[11]
    Reduction in new HIV diagnoses amongst drug users by 17%[18] and a general drop of 90% in drug-related HIV infection
    In April 2009, the Cato Institute published a White Paper about the "decriminalization" of drugs in Portugal,[19] paid for by the Marijuana Policy Project [20] Data about the heroin usage rates of 13-16-year-olds from EMCDDA were used in the report to claim that "decriminalization" has had no adverse effect on drug usage rates and that drug-related pathologies - such as sexually transmitted diseases and deaths due to drug usage - had decreased dramatically.[19]
    The number of newly diagnosed HIV cases among drug users was 13.4 cases per million in 2009 which is high above the European average of 2.85 cases per million.[2] [21][22]

Reduction in drug related deaths, although this reduction has decreased in later years. The number of drug related deaths is now almost on the same level as before the drug strategy was implemented.[11][18] However, this may be accounted for by improvement in measurement practices, which includes a doubling of toxicological autopsies now being performed, meaning that more drugs related deaths are likely to be recorded.[23]
    Reported lifetime use of "all illicit drugs" increased from 7.8% to 12%, lifetime use of cannabis increased from 7.6% to 11.7%, cocaine use more than doubled, from 0.9% to 1.9%, ecstasy nearly doubled from 0.7% to 1.3%, and heroin increased from 0.7% to 1.1%[18] It has been proposed[by whom?] that this effect may have been related to the candor of interviewees, who may have been inclined to answer more truthfully due to a reduction in the stigma associated with drug use.[23] However, during the same period, the use of heroin and cannabis also increased in Spain and Italy, where drugs for personal use was decriminalised many years earlier than in Portugal [23][24] while the use of Cannabis and heroin decreased in the rest of Western Europe.[25][26] The increase in drug use observed among adults in Portugal was not greater than that seen in nearby countries that did not change their drug laws.[27]
    Possibly unrelated, homicide rate increased from 1.13 per 100 000 in 2000 to 1.76 in 2007, then decreased to 0.96 in 2015 [28][29][30]
    Drug use among adolescents (13-15 yrs) and "problematic" users declined.[23]
    Drug-related criminal justice workloads decreased.[23]
    Decreased street value of most illicit drugs, some significantly[citation needed]
    The number of drug related deaths has reduced from 131 in 2001 to 20 in 2008.[31] As of 2012, Portugal's drug death toll sat at 3 per million, in comparison to the EU average of 17.3 per million.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=tim9lives;3559604]You know....I’m not trying to beat a dead dog....but I can’t help my curious mind. Anyway I was thinking more about the riots. And I’m convinced a major reason for this is unemployment among young kids. China free trade must end. China does have an end game...and that’s to dominate. Europe and America better wake up and realize that when 18 to 30 year olds have no jobs....we end up with revolution. History proves this.

And China cheats. They are not playing by the Western World’s Playbooks. They violate Patent Law Intellectual Property. They cheat at currency rules of international trade. And they are causing worldwide unemployment to rise at unprecedented levels in both Europe and America. It must end. But....America needs the European Union’s help to play this game against China. The only way to whip China into conforming with International Trade Laws is by wholesale bans of trade with them. China cheats.

I agree we need to stop being bent over by china, but I don't think 18-30 being unemployed is due to there not being jobs to be had. Before corona virus there were people calling for increased immigration to fill labor shortages. Millennials just don't want the crappy jobs that are out there or aren't qualified for the better ones. This stems from a life of participation trophies being told they'll be president or a movie star someday, and parents that let them live rent free in their basement for a decade after they flunk out of college. I'll turn 30 this year and I've seen what leads to this first hand. Guidance consolers, parents, and teachers insist you get a $100k education even if it's in an unmarketable field. In 11th and 12th grade I elected to be bused to the local trade school for a half day machinist program, you could also go for welding/autobody/electrical etc. This was offered to every student in every school in the county with very low participation. Kids look/looked down at those professions because they were told how successful they were going to be after they got their BS in Philosophy. I've been able to live comfortably with my career choice and many of my peers that turned their nose at it have yet to find a good one. I volunteer on an advisory board for the trade school I graduated from, we have job fairs etc. trying to get more kids interested with not much success. Participation levels are still low, its hard to find anyone with an interest in anything you might get dirty doing.

10. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what nation doesnt want to be top dog?

did China come to us.....or did we go to China??

1980s anyone?

12. Likes tim9lives, Rob F. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They're coming to getcha Trumpy, .and they're gunna stick your head on the White House flag pole.

14. Likes 72bwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i think most of us have seen enuf of that head...

16. Likes 72bwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    Even though there are Castle laws a homeowner without money enough to hire a lawyer will likely be taken into custody. Law enforcement has extremely little restraint. Nothing to arrest you on no problem handcuff tight and twist the suspects arms and watch them jump and complain. Then charge them with assault on a police officer.
    Some years back in Massachusetts you couldn't use deadly force against even a violent intruder in your own home. The way the law was written your first duty was to escape, even if it meant leaving your wife to be raped.

The law was eventually changed after much debate in which defenders of the "you must escape" doctrine said you couldn't even use force to defend family members who couldn't leave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    They're coming to getcha Trumpy, .and they're gunna stick your head on the White House flag pole.
    You sound as is that is something you would cheer?

19. Likes SND, S. Mant. liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    yes, I find it odd indeed.
    Trump tries to help the UK going thru Brexit by offering trade agreements, and it seems many over there think it somehow bad ?

I didn't hear of France Or Germany (or any EU country) doing same.

21. Likes SND, S. Mant. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    yes, I find it odd indeed.
    Trump tries to help the UK going thru Brexit by offering trade agreements, and it seems many over there think it somehow bad ?

I didn't hear of France Or Germany (or any EU country) doing same.
    i think most of the hatred of Trump expressed by non-Americans is based on the highly biased "news" they see. CNN (Communist News Network) is widely viewed overseas and even establish outlets like BBC and Deutsche Welle get much of their American "news" courtesy of the same American companies that are part of the never-Trump "resistance" that is constantly on the attack.

On another subject, the riots, most broadcasters keep talking about protests that "turned violent". For the most part that is a lie. Demonstrators march peacefully for hours and then outsiders, mostly white and looking very much like Occupy Wall Street and Antifa come in and start breaking windows, setting fires, and attacking police. Then some of the younger locals, including blacks, start joining in and throwing things at police. But in virtually every bit of footage I've seen the worst troublemakers are white and the ones who get things started. Eventually others see opportunity and start looting but the people who start the riots are the same violent anarchists who cause trouble everywhere.

Many of the businesses destroyed are owned by blacks.

23. Likes Trboatworks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=AJ H;3559714]
    Quote Originally Posted by tim9lives View Post
    You know....Iím not trying to beat a dead dog....but I canít help my curious mind. Anyway I was thinking more about the riots. And Iím convinced a major reason for this is unemployment among young kids. China free trade must end. China does have an end game...and thatís to dominate. Europe and America better wake up and realize that when 18 to 30 year olds have no jobs....we end up with revolution. History proves this.

And China cheats. They are not playing by the Western Worldís Playbooks. They violate Patent Law Intellectual Property. They cheat at currency rules of international trade. And they are causing worldwide unemployment to rise at unprecedented levels in both Europe and America. It must end. But....America needs the European Unionís help to play this game against China. The only way to whip China into conforming with International Trade Laws is by wholesale bans of trade with them. China cheats.

I agree we need to stop being bent over by china, but I don't think 18-30 being unemployed is due to there not being jobs to be had. Before corona virus there were people calling for increased immigration to fill labor shortages. Millennials just don't want the crappy jobs that are out there or aren't qualified for the better ones. This stems from a life of participation trophies being told they'll be president or a movie star someday, and parents that let them live rent free in their basement for a decade after they flunk out of college. I'll turn 30 this year and I've seen what leads to this first hand. Guidance consolers, parents, and teachers insist you get a $100k education even if it's in an unmarketable field. In 11th and 12th grade I elected to be bused to the local trade school for a half day machinist program, you could also go for welding/autobody/electrical etc. This was offered to every student in every school in the county with very low participation. Kids look/looked down at those professions because they were told how successful they were going to be after they got their BS in Philosophy. I've been able to live comfortably with my career choice and many of my peers that turned their nose at it have yet to find a good one. I volunteer on an advisory board for the trade school I graduated from, we have job fairs etc. trying to get more kids interested with not much success. Participation levels are still low, its hard to find anyone with an interest in anything you might get dirty doing.
    I totally agree with a lot of your observations. But, from what I remember is a school system and almost every government talking head who tried to explain unemployment..... they told America that Americans all needed to get a 4-year degree. That was the mantra all up until the 2008 crisis. After the 2008 crisis, they were still totally ignoring the illegal aliens issue ( because most big corporations loved immigrant labor ) and telling high school students that they needed to be high techies. That was the future.

Furthermore, only in the last two years....has anyone started to mention the tradesmen again. Itís been a huge failure at the top in my opinion. For instance, turn on PBS.....watch This Old House on Thursdayís.....and finally they are promoting the home building trades. 10 years ago....almost everyone on the set other than Norm and Tom Silva....was a Latino immigrant.

Iím not against immigration. But when a country changes course from allowing immigrants into America to pick crops to letting immigrants come here to cause American high school kids sit in the basement in front of a computer.....something is wrong. I blame the School Boards across America for not doing their job.

Not everyone likes or wants to sit at a desk for the rest of their lives. Many people want to work with their hands. That segment of high schoolers needs to be encouraged to learn said trades in my opinion.

Just to add my edit....congratulations to you for knowing what you wanted. And yeah... Iím guessing that part of the problem is everyone in America is in LaLa Land....thinking Junior is the best and the brightest. It may not be the case. Americans have been coddled. No doubt about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I frequented the area in Los Angeles where the 1992 riots over the Rodney King incident happened months after things quieted down. The convention center and Memorial Coliseum are in that area. The whole area around those two establishments is basically one big ghetto. It was surprising how many of the residents were now sporting designer clothes, especially the latest $150 sneakers. They were not dressed like that before the riots.
    I remember that well. They were all driving Escalades, too.

Seriously Dualkit, do you keep your Republican talking points in a handbook, or do you have them all memorized by now? I know that this might be difficult for you to understand, but pointless speculation and 30 year old anecdotes do not constitute fact.

26. Likes tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To answer a question posted a few pages back, No, there probably aren't any fulltime machinists on this forum. There are other parts of PM that deal with machining problems and solutions. This ain't it.

28. Likes SND liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone else notice how the party of supposed "tolerance" (Democrats)spew hatred and disrespect toward white middle aged males? They only "tolerate" your beliefs if you think exactly like they do.
    These are just normal fascist communist division tactics.

We seem to have quite a few fans and probably active members of the Hammer and Sickle club on this very forum. For some reason these far left ideologies always took hold very easily among the labor / manufacturing class, the love for the unions and hatred for "the man" that feeds them bs.

It's actually pretty funny to see how many hope that USA manufacturing is Dead, on a USA manufacturing forum.

30. Likes digger doug, Scottl, tim9lives, Oldwrench liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post
    It is, for I sincerely believe he is a very dangerous man - not only for your country but the entire world.

32. Likes Asquith, 72bwhite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is, for I sincerely believe he is a very dangerous man - not only for your country but the entire world.
    Here Here
    Putin's toady and an extremist panderer.
    any one who labels all who oppose him as traitors and or communists
    is dangerous.
    If Hillary had got elected would be cheering for a good Republican candidate

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He was too busy wetting his pants in the basement.