What's new
What's new

Ot- a sigh of relief, it looks like Notre Dame cathedral is going to be ok.

Trboatworks

Diamond
Watching the fire progress I was hoping that the masonry ceilings would hold and limit the damage to the roof structure.
It appears that is largely the case.
Best wishes to the French- I will send some money towards the restoration effort.

I hadn’t known very much about the structure prior to this fire.
One commentator noted that the vaults “did their job” but I am not finding a good review of the reason for placing these.
Another reference states they shed rain and I imagine gutters are placed at the valleys.

The details will matter- 200 tons of lead shingles.
I wonder where that might have pooled as the roof burned.
And the 20:20 hindsight- one would have thought over the last few decades some fire marshal would have seen the risk to that timber roof and initiated a push to place sprinkle mains.

Glad the firefighters were there. They did good under the circumstances. Amazing that this has not had this kind of thing happen before. All the renovation and all to miss some fire is just heartbreaking.

Macron can not rebuild this without money from other countries. French industry will not cover it nor will the wealthy there in France I do believe.

Macron can not rebuild this without money from other countries. French industry will not cover it nor will the wealthy there in France I do believe.

Some French luxury brands have already pledged ~300 million Euros towards rebuilding, a great gesture on their part. And yes, it looks like Macron will have a "Go Fund Oui" for as much as he can get from the rest of the world.

Such a tragedy, but it really should have had sprinklers...

I'm glad to see an immediate initiative to rebuild. Stuff like that gives you hope for the world. Every time I see ruins like the Colosseum, I wonder why some government or billionaire hasn't tried to rebuild them. Granted, there's always the debate about how much to build new and how much to restore, or how much history could actually be lost by the process, and of course there's the billions of dollars that could be feeding people, but in general, I like seeing that initiative in place of building new theme parks or cruise ships.

But then again, I'm also in the boat that thinks fixing up a clapped-out mill or lathe is a worthwhile cause just because it's got old-iron. But, I believe in paying your respects to those who came before you before making your own name. You end up better educated and respected and often find that something "new" isn't always needed, or if it is, you're better aware of what does and doesn't work and have a better chance of success.

Another thing I had wondered about as this progressed was the inadvertent damage to the masonry from the water cannon.
The vaults must be dry set stone though so no mortar to erode.
Really key to the limit of damage those ceilings.

I haven’t found much but this illustration shows build process:

8F003582-2A54-48DE-8AA3-D0CFDDBE111E.jpg

Just so long as the 'rebuild' isn't modelled on the odd glass pyramid that they put outside the Louvre. I can just see some trendy architect pushing for a huge glass roof !

''They'' say it was an accident, ………...but speaking as one, likely of Huguenot descent, I'm putting it down as a bit of divine payback for (amongst many others) The St Bartholomews Day Massacre of 1572, and The Edict of Fontainbleau of 1685, …………….I mean what's 400 + years for a religious grudge.

nope guy named Abdul will insist it be a Mosque.
the Saudis probably already have a bid in.

From what I read, it will always be a Catholic religious site.

While the building itself is owned by the state, the Catholic Church is the designated beneficiary, having the exclusive right to use it for religious purposes in perpetuity. The archdiocese is responsible for paying the employees, for security, heating and cleaning, and for ensuring that the cathedral is open free to visitors. The archdiocese does not receive subsidies from the French state.

Notre-Dame de Paris - Wikipedia

''They'' say it was an accident, ………...but speaking as one, likely of Huguenot descent, I'm putting it down as a bit of divine payback for (amongst many others) The St Bartholomews Day Massacre of 1572, and The Edict of Fontainbleau of 1685, …………….I mean what's 400 + years for a religious grudge.

You could include the sexual abuse of modern times there as well.

All these people donating money, when the Taliban destroyed all those statues in Afghanistan, was there world wide money pouring in to repair them?

However apparently the government of France owns the building but gives free use of it to the catholic church.

Wonder how long before you know who puts forth the idea that it was immigrants that started the fire and that's just another reason to build some wall? ;)

Nothing if you live in Northern Ireland.

Regards Tyrone.

All these people donating money, when the Taliban destroyed all those statues in Afghanistan, was there world wide money pouring in to repair them?

Bit of difference between a purposeful destruction of the antiquities by the Taliban, and an accidental fire in the church. But I'm all for raiding whatever assets the Taliban (and its allies) have for reconstruction of historic sites in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Back