Ot- a sigh of relief, it looks like Notre Dame cathedral is going to be ok. - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RC99 View Post

All these people donating money, when the Taliban destroyed all those statues in Afghanistan, was there world wide money pouring in to repair them?
    Bit of difference between a purposeful destruction of the antiquities by the Taliban, and an accidental fire in the church. But I'm all for raiding whatever assets the Taliban (and its allies) have for reconstruction of historic sites in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

2. Likes andrewmawson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fear not good people, President Macron has said he will re-build it in five years. Not only will he re-build it but it will be better. I don't think it needs to be better,it needs to be the same. Still,he is doing the job so it's up to him I suppose. He didn't say if he would have anyone helping him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Fear not good people, President Macron has said he will re-build it in five years. Not only will he re-build it but it will be better. I don't think it needs to be better,it needs to be the same. Still,he is doing the job so it's up to him I suppose. He didn't say if he would have anyone helping him.
    He's lucky there was a thread about lead roofing here recently, he can get some pointers before he starts laying the sheets.

5. Likes camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe I've missed it, but I've not been aware of a deafening response from the Vatican offering help ?

Mind you France chucked the Pope out of France (Avignon) a few years ago (1376) so perhaps he's still smarting

7. Likes David Utidjian liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    Some French luxury brands have already pledged ~300 million Euros towards rebuilding, a great gesture on their part. And yes, it looks like Macron will have a "Go Fund Oui" for as much as he can get from the rest of the world.

Such a tragedy, but it really should have had sprinklers...
    Can't really figure out why some of you think a historic structure should be made to look like crap by running sprinkler pipes all over the place. This building made it for over 800 years and numerous wars without one.

The problem was some idiots doing welding or some other heat work without a frickin' fire extinguisher sitting right there. Period. Total failure of the workers and their management.

Just like Windsor Castle where some clowns were cleaning tapestries with a flammable solvent, the light fell over, the bulb broke and ignited the tapestry. By the time they got a fire extinguisher it was too late.

Just like the WW1 barracks we used in Germany that got the roof completely burned off one day because of some dumbshit German workers doing a welding repair on the roof without a fire extinguisher present.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Can't really figure out why some of you think a historic structure should be made to look like crap by running sprinkler pipes all over the place. This building made it for over 800 years and numerous wars without one.

Steve
    Dangit, you're right! Silly me, it does look better right now than if it had those stupid sprinkler pipes running all over. Thanks for setting me straight...

10. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You and I obviously have competing philosophies. When something like this happens you think you should blame "the system", I think you blame the idiots responsible.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    You and I obviously have competing philosophies. When something like this happens you think you should blame "the system", I think you blame the idiots responsible.

Steve
    I agree, we differ. I'd rather look at what can be done to prevent a catastrophe, like, I dunno, global climate change. Or cathedrals burning. You'd rather sue the guy who didn't bring the fire extinguisher.

I don't think Hugo the Welder has 1B Euros stuffed under his mattress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    Fear not good people, President Macron has said he will re-build it in five years. Not only will he re-build it but it will be better. ....
    It'll be beautiful, and HUGE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They didn’t/ don’t need sprinkler mains “all over the place”
    The attic space should have had them.
    It’s not a public space, the steep pitch framing could have been protected with a discrete system.
    The initial hours of the fight to save the cathedral were ineffective so the heavy timber framing largely burnt to cinder where it stood.
    Had it gone differently those timbers could have fallen through the vaults and potentially brought the outer walls with them.

It was a near thing.
    Worth some break with historical integrity to have had the roof protected.
    The risk was well understood- the building had a standing team on 24/7 fire watch.

I was relieved when this photo was published during the fight.
    Those pools of embers are on TOP of the vaults.
    The massive windows show very little active fire in the nave below.

4209666f-6ea2-481a-972e-7ada93e1a402.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I agree, we differ. I'd rather look at what can be done to prevent a catastrophe, like, I dunno, global climate change. Or cathedrals burning. You'd rather sue the guy who didn't bring the fire extinguisher.

I don't think Hugo the Welder has 1B Euros stuffed under his mattress.
    No, probably not.....But he might have a fire extinguisher in the truck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It could simply be a French workman dropping a fag end without extinguishing it. I'm always amazed how common smoking seems to be in inappropriate places.

17. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am very pleased that money is being pledged to rebuild. There is not much government involvement in religious endeavors here because we have the separation of church and state. There is always some sidetracking which occurs when anything like this happens and so looking at the effort ahead is the most useful and positive progress. I am glad to see that.

19. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seems like this will be a nail bitter for a while yet.
    I hope they can get these gable walls braced before a chance wind storm finds them:

The Latest: Part of Notre Dame support to be dismantled

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmawson View Post
    Maybe I've missed it, but I've not been aware of a deafening response from the Vatican offering help ?

Mind you France chucked the Pope out of France (Avignon) a few years ago (1376) so perhaps he's still smarting
    Ironic, to "save" the building, a couple years ago, the Diocese was hoping some American tech billionaire would step in and fund the restoration. There were fears the building could collapse because the buttresses were coming away from the structure....all rather moot now!

I'd wonder about Macron's time frames, Versailles is admittedly much larger, but how long has that taken? Installing vaulted stone ceilings on fire damaged walls, you'd want your brave pills too.

Hopefully they'll replay the BBC series, The Pillars of the Earth down here as a result.

22. Likes adama liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No way it can be rebuilt in 5 years unless they use steel framing. If they could find that much old growth straight oak it needs one tree trunk for each main timber. cut the tree rough the lumber to shape let it air dry, under cover for 5-10 years, then kiln dry it, then cut to shape and install.
    Bill D.

PS: where did the molten lead go?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post

The reference I saw notes that lead sheet used as roof coverings was around 250 tons worth, but since lead boils at ~3180F, it's likely it just melted and ran off, not vaporized. So they'll find it in low areas around the cathedral, or perhaps in the gaps of the stoneworks. I don't know if there's underground vaults there, but if so perhaps that could collect it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No way it can be rebuilt in 5 years unless they use steel framing. If they could find that much old growth straight oak it needs one tree trunk for each main timber. cut the tree rough the lumber to shape let it air dry, under cover for 5-10 years, then kiln dry it, then cut to shape and install.
    Bill D.

I bet they go steel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All the frog gyppos and pikeys had it away

27. Likes barbter, andrewmawson, camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    All the frog gyppos and pikeys had it away
    I KNEW you were secretly a Tog Gear host! Are you the short one, or the one with the weird shirts?