Ot- a sigh of relief, it looks like Notre Dame cathedral is going to be ok. - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Uh, yeah, I meant "Top" Gear, of course. Unless we're talking about the new clothing show hosted by three madcap seamstresses...

And there'll always be an England, won't there? You may not recognize it, but hey, the land's basically the same as during Norman times, eh?

I admit to being a little conservative in this area, I'm not a fan of wholesale and uncontrolled immigration. How one finds the right balance is beyond my skillset...

Wisconsin (from May to November); Florida (from November to May)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To aid in the re-construction of the Paris Cathedral, Notre Dame University rang the bell in their bell tower 50 peals of the bell; each one representing one Hail Mary!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    All churches matter...
    How about a few 100k for each church burned here in the USA?
    Google News - After Notre Dame fire, a GoFundMe ensured black churches burned in Louisiana got $1 million, too

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Seeing that the Cathedral is rebuilt after it has been burned is the OT T. Red herring subjects from stereotypes committing crimes by racial groups, slogans about "rebuilding churches" and using the by line of a American identity politics movement ideology groups.

None of this is civil nor helpful as this is not the context of this time slot and this thread. Someone mentioned that this was historical retribution and another person opened the door to go a trashing and a thrashing of religion. I have seen all of this before and I can't go for all that.

If anyone has comments then PM me.

I am not feeling that is a good thing. If you want fight night sign into a fight site - elsewhere but do not persist even on the edge of feeding this.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I admit to being a little conservative in this area, I'm not a fan of wholesale and uncontrolled immigration. How one finds the right balance is beyond my skillset...
    I don't have to try too hard to think of a country that got started under those premises. Not all "immigrants" even wanted to be immigrants though.

I suppose it very much depends on who you are and where you come from as to how welcome you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    Seeing that the Cathedral is rebuilt after it has been burned is the OT T. Red herring subjects from stereotypes committing crimes by racial groups, slogans about "rebuilding churches" and using the by line of a American identity politics movement ideology groups.

None of this is civil nor helpful as this is not the context of this time slot and this thread. Someone mentioned that this was historical retribution and another person opened the door to go a trashing and a thrashing of religion. I have seen all of this before and I can't go for all that.

I am not feeling that is a good thing. If you want fight night sign into a fight site - elsewhere but do not persist even on the edge of feeding this.
    I knew I was going to get a bollocking for it, …………………but if you're going to censor posts, ………..you best attend to #41 at the top of this page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    I KNEW you were secretly a Tog Gear host! Are you the short one, or the one with the weird shirts?
    The one that eats all the biscuits. Now you know why he has a dodgy ticker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post

I understand your message on this and would like to agree with you but sad to say I have to agree with Limy. He has told you how he ,ana most people over here, see it. He didn't mention who is responsible for all the stabbings or who is being stabbed, perhaps he should have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    I don't have to try too hard to think of a country that got started under those premises. Not all "immigrants" even wanted to be immigrants though.

I suppose it very much depends on who you are and where you come from as to how welcome you are.
    Quite true. And as I said, above my pay grade to consider fixes. But I'll point out that there's enormously more PEOPLE than there used to be, and that's an issue that must be addressed. All the other aspects of "going green" pale at the shear volume of people requiring land, clean water, safe food, etc. And they'll (all y'all) keep making more than replacement numbers of new folks who want the same.

Couple that with vastly easier and greater volume of transportation options, and you have this modern century. When significant amounts of tabloid (and more legitimate) news headlines talk about "Billionaire Sanctuaries for the Apocalypse" Why Silicon Valley billionaires are prepping for the apocalypse in New Zealand | News | The Guardian you can bet there's a herd thinning coming...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by camscan View Post
    I understand your message on this and would like to agree with you but sad to say I have to agree with Limy. He has told you how he ,ana most people over here, see it. He didn't mention who is responsible for all the stabbings or who is being stabbed, perhaps he should have.
    I have discernment. Something may be pertinent yet the effect may be terrible. Some see a gray line I look at the results and make a decision. Yet though a valid point is made on any number of flame issues if then it leads somewhere that derails this thread then it clearly is detrimental. I fall on the side of preventing that slide.

This thread has been controversial and it is just fine to vent a bit yet since I have seen these derailments and how they happen I base my comments and actions based upon experience. When there is a shootout on here we get every type which are happy to return and spread their bull and the only purpose served is making this forum a laughing stock. - You can PM this for example.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    ''They'' say it was an accident, ………...but speaking as one, likely of Huguenot descent, I'm putting it down as a bit of divine payback for (amongst many others) The St Bartholomews Day Massacre of 1572, and The Edict of Fontainbleau of 1685, …………….I mean what's 400 + years for a religious grudge.
    Darn right and I also hold grudges. I'm still P.O.'d about the Boston Massacre, the Revolutionary war and the War of 1812. I can't seem to shake it

12. Likes tdmidget, Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For any who have not found the photos of the roof supporting structure see:

La charpente | Notre Dame de Paris

Main Web Site: Home Page Notre Dame de Paris

When I saw the above I did wonder why there were no sprinklers. They would have been above the ceiling and not visible from below. CNN and the Guardian, both on line, have had ongoing updates.

A short video by the Paris Fire Department: Pompiers de Paris on Twitter: "#intervention Retour en images sur le feu a #NotreDame de Paris qui a mobilise pres de 400 pompiers.… "

Paul

15. Likes Trboatworks, Yan Wo liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Limy Sami View Post
    ''They'' say it was an accident, ………...but speaking as one, likely of Huguenot descent, I'm putting it down as a bit of divine payback for (amongst many others) The St Bartholomews Day Massacre of 1572, and The Edict of Fontainbleau of 1685, …………….I mean what's 400 + years for a religious grudge.
    Don't forget the profanities of The Cult of Reason and the Goddess of Liberty, a.k.a Sol Invictus placed on the high altar
    The Goddess of Liberty. On December 10th, 1793, Mlle. Malliard, an actress, was selected to personify the “Goddess of Liberty.” Being brought to Notre Dame, Paris, she was seated on the altar, and lighted a large candle to signify that Liberty was the “light of the world.” (See Louis Blanc: History, ii. 365–367.) 1
    The statue of Liberty, placed over the entrance of the Palais Royal, was modelled from Mme. Tallien. 2
    The Goddess of Reason. (Aug. 10, 1793.) The Goddess of Reason was enthroned by the French Convention at the suggestion of Chaumette; and the Cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris was desecrated for the purpose. The wife of Momoro the printer was the best of these goddesses. The procession was attended by the municipal officers and national guards, while troops of ballet girls carried torches of truth. Incredible as it may seem, Gobet (the Archbishop of Paris), and nearly all the clergy stripped themselves of their canonicals, and, wearing red nightcaps, joined in this blasphemous mockery. So did Julien of Toulouse, a Calvinistic minister. 3
    “Mrs. Momoro, it is admitted, made one of the best goddesses of Reason, though her teeth were a little defective.”—Carlyle: French Revolution, vol. iii. book v. 4.
    But what else would you expect from people capable of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre? From one extreme to the other...and then Bonapartism and five to seven million dead before they tired of that adventure, the "glories" of which are still memorialized all over Paris, while the loot forms the basis of the Louvre's collection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivett View Post
    Don't forget the profanities of The Cult of Reason and the Goddess of Liberty, a.k.a Sol Invictus placed on the high altar

But what else would you expect from people capable of the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre? From one extreme to the other...and then Bonapartism and five to seven million dead before they tired of that adventure, the "glories" of which are still memorialized all over Paris, while the loot forms the basis of the Louvre's collection.
    Interesting you chose to use the word profanity.
    A word typically associated with religion.

Looking at the life and teachings of the Christ I would suggest that the Catholic Church was profane as well, and the reaction was in line with the Christ’s actions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    Seems like this will be a nail bitter for a while yet.
    I hope they can get these gable walls braced before a chance wind storm finds them:

The Latest: Part of Notre Dame support to be dismantled
    These boys are on the job.

Look at this plate and struts they fashioned to hold that gable.
    Hats off- it looks like they are throwing what is needed at this to prevent further damage:

5eaa293f-a05c-40b4-9143-8f2a8a3f17d3.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too soon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We have an old covered bridge in our town. Historical register and everything.

Town trucks can't cross it nor can emergency fire vehicles that are Mandated by civic insurance requirements.

I wish that bridge would burn and be replaced. I can't say I feel much different about old churches or old buildings in general.

Really, If you disregard the Sumerians and the Anunnaki, Really, What is old, or valuable?

eta, Both sides of my family are/were refugee French Huguenots. With a given name of Calvin, what could I care about such a relic? ;-)

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure who to ask, so I'll ask anyone who knows: when threads are "edited" on PM, by who I don't know, but presumably a "moderator", and posts are deleted, does anyone get notification of this or do such posts just vanish without explanation or notation?

I see racial epithets are apparently acceptable so I'm just wondering who was upset by references to the Cult of Reason, Sol Invictus, the casualties of the Napoleonic Wars and the fate of the artistic loot of those wars?

It seems a bit like Habeas Corpus vs. the "Committee of Public Safety" and the Parisian mob. LOL

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivett View Post
    Not sure who to ask, so I'll ask anyone who knows: when threads are "edited" on PM, by who I don't know, but presumably a "moderator", and posts are deleted, does anyone get notification of this or do such posts just vanish without explanation or notation?

I see racial epithets are apparently acceptable so I'm just wondering who was upset by references to the Cult of Reason, Sol Invictus, the casualties of the Napoleonic Wars and the fate of the artistic loot of those wars?

It seems a bit like Habeas Corpus vs. the "Committee of Public Safety" and the Parisian mob. LOL
    In the context of the burning of this church it is not helpful to distract and derail by trailing off on details about religion which are controversial. If one wishes to diverge to another track they should do this someplace else. If one likes posting in this thread then avoid divisive connected topics which only lead to a big argument. Arguments and shrill debate are common on this forum and have run free for a long time no longer. Do not take offense too much as one often does not realize the members who wait to spring in when this occurs and trash up a thread. Past persecutions, your comments, and the set up for the attack of Christianity as "Profane" will be seen as OT.