Ot- a sigh of relief, it looks like Notre Dame cathedral is going to be ok. - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Numbers 54 and 55 are to me leading off into what is known as Identity politics.

"The term identity politics has been used in political discourse since at least the 1970s.[5] One aim of identity politics has been for those feeling oppressed by and actively suffering under systemic social inequities to articulate their suffering and felt oppression in terms of their own experience by processes of consciousness-raising and collective action."

There are plenty of things anyone could point to in their heritage or in religion which are controversial. My point is that this is not the time nor the place to trail off into such issues. I think if you showed up on the streets of Paris with signs then you could understand the inappropriateness of the timing and of the venue for such issues.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    In the context of the burning of this church it is not helpful to distract and derail by trailing off on details about religion which are controversial. If one wishes to diverge to another track they should do this someplace else. If one likes posting in this thread then avoid divisive connected topics which only lead to a big argument. Arguments and shrill debate are common on this forum and have run free for a long time no longer. Do not take offense too much as one often does not realize the members who wait to spring in when this occurs and trash up a thread. Past persecutions, your comments, and the set up for the attack of Christianity as "Profane" will be seen as OT.
    Well, the most important topics in human debate are "controversial"!

But you'll notice I declined to be drawn out in the manner described?

The 1st Amendment is the only one more vital to the Rights of Man than the 2nd in my humble opinion, but as a "furener" I'll leave that up to y'all to sort out as you see fit.

I see the posts in question are back, so we'll leave it there I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivett View Post
    Not sure who to ask, so I'll ask anyone who knows: when threads are "edited" on PM, by who I don't know, but presumably a "moderator", and posts are deleted, does anyone get notification of this or do such posts just vanish without explanation or notation?

I see racial epithets are apparently acceptable so I'm just wondering who was upset by references to the Cult of Reason, Sol Invictus, the casualties of the Napoleonic Wars and the fate of the artistic loot of those wars?

It seems a bit like Habeas Corpus vs. the "Committee of Public Safety" and the Parisian mob. LOL
    I made a quip about Millenials not long ago,which by next day had been taken out. Moderators Prerogative I guess.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rivett View Post
    Well, the most important topics in human debate are "controversial"!

But you'll notice I declined to be drawn out in the manner described?

The 1st Amendment is the only one more vital to the Rights of Man than the 2nd in my humble opinion, but as a "furener" I'll leave that up to y'all to sort out as you see fit.

I see the posts in question are back, so we'll leave it there I guess.
    I noticed what you did you connected in irrelevant to the topic information trying to fit it in and connecting it to a massacre. That is not helpful. Do not pretend Humility. You built on the first post concerning the history of the massacre. There are plenty of injustices in history worthy of discussion even this one yet in another time and place.

This is a privately owned site your right is not hindered in this context as the site has the final say over content. Get over that one. Just like where we work. We respect our employers.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TedinNorfolk View Post
    I made a quip about Millennial not long ago,which by next day had been taken out. Moderators Prerogative I guess.
    At a certain point it becomes a obvious cut down. If it is brought up then it can be deleted. I get sick of reading about the complaints against Millennials. Once again if the topic of the thread is Notre Dame burning what relevance would this have? None and so if deleted well that is the way the ball bounces.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey, at least they saved the crown of thorns...
    And other catholic idols.

7. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Miguels244 View Post
    Hey, at least they saved the crown of thorns...
    And other catholic idols.
    I consider the source. Inappropriate.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sadly I have to scratch that from my bucket list

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Spinit View Post
    I consider the source. Inappropriate.
    As a "manischt" I would agree.
    Could certainly hold 400 year old grudge, but dont.

The loss of Notre Dame is beyond sad. Perhaps a galvanizing moment.
    Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by macds View Post
    As a "manischt" I would agree.
    Could certainly hold 400 year old grudge, but dont.

The loss of Notre Dame is beyond sad. Perhaps a galvanizing moment.
    Time will tell.
    Compare to Twin Towers////

Strange how sky lines elicit differing donation responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post

Im not sure I buy into that.
    No offense, but that cathedral is a far more significant HISTORICAL piece.

The twin towers, and the amazing loss of life there was something entirely different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can not find it. it may have even been on Practical Machinist. There were photos showing the attic of a cathedral that burned the roof around 1850. It think it was French. They made the new roof structure of riveted iron beams and straps. looked similar to a wooden canoe build. Then covered with cooper sheet. Looked just like the original from outside. very similar to what I expect they will do for Notre Dame.
    Bil lD

I think it was 1836 or 1863

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CalG View Post

But the twin towers weren't ''owned'' by the 2nd largest religion in the world, ………………..and I'll lay a pound to a pinch that the Vatican has more ''emotional clout'' than all of New York city and Washington put together, ……….oh and I've never heard of any couples including a trip to the top of the Twin Towers as part of a dirty weekend in New York.

15. Likes camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you ever get reason to be up a old church, you will get why this one burning and getting rebuilt is a rarity. What looks good from the ground is often a pretty sorry old condition 40+ feet up.

Gotta remember a lot of churches etc of this vintage were built on nothing like modern foundations, hence its common for cracks to open up and its not uncommon for major disassembly and rebuilds just to keep the things standing. The lead on the roof is the cheap bit!

As to oak and such, large oaks are readily available in France, its not the problem you think it is if you have the money. Oaks have been farmed as much as soft woods in some areas for several hundred years.

17. Likes Limy Sami, camscan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I can not find it. it may have even been on Practical Machinist. There were photos showing the attic of a cathedral that burned the roof around 1850. It think it was French. They made the new roof structure of riveted iron beams and straps. looked similar to a wooden canoe build. Then covered with cooper sheet. Looked just like the original from outside. very similar to what I expect they will do for Notre Dame.
    Bil lD

I think it was 1836 or 1863
    That one was Chartres: Chartres Cathedral - Wikipedia

Scroll down to middle: the buttresses and roof of Chartres cathedral | France zone at abelard.org

This is at least the 5th church on the site. Chartres Cathedral - Wikipedia

Paul

19. Likes Trboatworks liked this post