What's new
What's new

Participating nations adopt climate agreement at COP12 talks in Paris

I would agree Ray and that is my interest.

I think we will see some shift in manufacturing as the capital resources that are presumably allocated start to come on line.
Of note- transmission inefficiencies might be low hanging fruit.
How will developmental stage companies such as SCON do with their offerings going forward?

STI - Superconductor Technologies, Inc. | Home page

I well understand this is a perhaps too political subject on many levels though I am strictly interested in the effect on technology and manufacturing which might occur due to this development.

Here we go, Our taxes poured in every 3rd world shithole on the planet, a big thanks to o bummer once again. Now I see on tv he calls the terrorist attack in California a "gun crime", so now we need more gun control too. Message to MORON, jihadis with pipe bombs don't give a rats ass about your gun control laws.

It will never get thru congress.

John Kerry (who served in Vietnam)can talk all he wants, it will not change that fact.

On edit:
No teeth, only targets, and no enforcment mechanism......in short, a non event.

Typical for this regime.
"Hey! let's all talk about shit that will never happen.....ever. Doesn't that make you feel better."

China and India will still use coal primarily, and will not cut any emissions. We might try to, but it'll cut our throat economically.

Given the incentive of the recent (last week) extreme pollution in some China cities, they may be more motivated... at least for a while. Based on the thickness of the "air" in photos, it looks like they will be taking a healthcare expense hit pretty soon, too. Unless they just turn their back on the people.

Chip

it has been carefully crafted to not have to go through the Senate:

The one word that almost sank the climate talks – POLITICO
Last-Minute Word Change Shields Climate Pact From Senate Vote

So the executive branch can attempt for force our compliance. But I am aware of no penalties for non-compliance, so I can imagine what all the other countries are going to do..

The really interesting thing to me is that the US is now back down to 1992 levels of CO2 emissions, largely through the use of the left's despised fracking.

From The record of recent Man-made CO2 emissions: 1965 -2013 | Watts Up With That?

CO2 History.jpg

What's also interesting is looking at China's emissions vs US Manufacturing Employment:
Manufacturing Employment.jpg

I thought I heard that the 50 largest carbon producers get to be sued by nations adversely affected by climate change as part of this deal. We may be walking sooner than we expect if that is really part of the deal.
Also heard the Obama does not think he needs senate approval.
On the long range goal of zero fossil fuels, I wonder what kind of tractors my neighbor will be using in the future, he is now using 700 gallons of diesel a day in each of those behemoths, kind of hard to picture the extension cord or batteries he will be using.

On the long range goal of zero fossil fuels, I wonder what kind of tractors my neighbor will be using in the future, he is now using 700 gallons of diesel a day in each of those behemoths, kind of hard to picture the extension cord or batteries he will be using.

He'll be using the same tractors, just powered by nice, environmentally correct biodiesel. Since that takes carbon out of the air when it is growing liberals think that makes it "carbon neutral" so that is OK to use. Currently selling in this area for $4.20 a gallon ($2.20 premium over regular diesel).

This whole thing is a joke, whether the US ratifies it or not. The agreement is a non-binding resolution that has no enforcement mechanism and how in the hell do you measure a countries carbon output? Jeez, at least the League of Nations could say "Hey, your tanks and troops are on the wrong side of the border and shooting at your neighbors".

Steve

There were posts in the general section from someone that worked at a Arizona refinery and current biodiesel is only 2% bio the rest is regular diesel?!?
If a farmer has to grow his own fuel he will not have much time to grow food.
Maybe politicians could hold their breath and not exhale any CO2?!?
Enforcement will by individual countries. Can a lame duck president try to force this stuff by executive decree?
Will energy producing companies be too busy defending them selves in lawsuits to make energy and develop better solutions in the future?

Weather has become more extreme. The question is whether or not the cause is human. I'm neither sure or convinced that it is. OTOH if something can be done to cut down on the amount we create of CO2 then why not?

The to me interesting part of the recent meeting in Paris is to see what the various countries do to live up to their promises or whether it is just more hot air. Pun intended.

Because climate change is more immediately a crisis than global terrorism.:skep:

I don't know what the likelihood of being affected by terrorism is, especially in the USA, but expect it's many multiple millions to one chance...despite the amount of time the news devotes to it! I'd be more worried about being struck by lightening, if we're having a climate theme. :D

#14 FredC
"Maybe politicians could hold their breath and not exhale any CO2?!?"

The post of the year, and maybe other years.
Seasonal greetings to all at PM. I have learnt much here in 2015.
Rich

Here we go, Our taxes poured in every 3rd world shithole on the planet, a big thanks to o bummer once again. Now I see on tv he calls the terrorist attack in California a "gun crime", so now we need more gun control too. Message to MORON, jihadis with pipe bombs don't give a rats ass about your gun control laws.

Only took to post #4 to turn a climate change treaty into a rant about gun control . . . ?

I'd add a couple points. First, the last time I recall the US thinking most all of the rest of the world was wrong was when we went into Iraq on the WMD pretext. There might be some sense in understanding why the rest of the world thinks climate instability is a threat.

As for the economic implications, my own guess is that implementation in most of the big-polluter nations will lag. So, not all that much of an economic impact in the short turn. What it might like do is greater a more positive "climate" for investments in clean tech -- and if we continue to see continued climate costs a somewhat delayed surge in the profitability of those investments?

Somewhat to the original question, GE has proven a pretty good investment over the past year or two. Could be the run up is mostly done; but the company has been trying to position itself as both a high tech software company (recent ads) and a beneficiary of new product development investments in energy efficiency.

On edit: with respect to SCON and other investments in a "smart" grid -- I'd agree that this would be the low-hanging fruit from a technology perspective. But utilities seem to look at the grid as a sort of commons they don't much want to invest in (there may be some exceptions -- the Texas grid??). So, I'd think national investment would be needed to kick start this and so far we've only had a pittance in the 2009 Recover Act. Not sure there's the political appetite to do more?

Back