What's new
What's new

Phytomining

I did see a bag of dried spirogyra algae at the store this week. Just let the pool turn green and filter out the green gunk to sell. Easier then bee hive farming.
Bill D.

Wait, wait. The NYT has a SCIENCE section? :eek:

And they found some people who figured out that, get this, if you have soil that is high in certain minerals, that any plants growing in that soil will absorb some of those minerals. :willy_nilly:

Inconceivable!!!!!! (Sorry Vizzini).

Steve

And they found some people who figured out that, get this, if you have soil that is high in certain minerals, that any plants growing in that soil will absorb some of those minerals. :willy_nilly:

Steve

Oh come on, the sap is better than nickel ore, not a bad deal

Steve

Reminds me of a story NPR did about people in NYC growing tomatoes hanging out of the window. Apparently they were amazed at the nutritional benefits of growing tomatoes. They mentioned it was a new way of getting fresh vegetables and could be an answer to food shortages.

Probably 10+ years ago, they discovered Eucalypts were concentrating gold in their leaves when over an ore body. Can't remember now if the intention was to use it as a prospecting tool or an actual extraction ploy. Remember one old timer from decades ago who had gold fever, was adamant the root systems drew up nuggets too, but expect that was more related to the extra difficulty of digging in root infested ironstone back in the 19th century with pick and shovel.

I remember reading about a diamond mine scam in the USA where they salted the mine with diamonds. They even put some in a tree to be found by investors. In gold mining scams they would load a shotgun with gold pellets and fire it into the "gold" seam. then they allowed potential investors to take a look and samples before buying stock in the mine.
Bil lD.
Diamond hoax of 1872 - Wikipedia

Back