Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

2. Likes Terry Keeley, Spinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ThinBIT(R) Cutting Tools

I have to put in a word for them, they make miniature groove tool inserts among other things. I thought I was going to have to get a custom grind to make a groove for a .012 wide E-clip. They have sizes by the .001s from .010 up on the shelf. When a customer told me about them and I called requesting a catalog, I was sent a catalog, a 3" machinist scale, 3 notepads and a T-shirt. When I called to place an order I told them thanks, but no way I can wear an XL T-shirt, even if I got down to fighting weight. They sent me a 3XL before my order arrived. Also all their promotional items like the T-shirts are made in the USA.

4. Likes bucktruck, Spinit, BSCustoms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost in LA View Post
    How about the tools I make?
    Listed on Ebay:
    FISHER MICRO EDGE FINDER 1/2 or 3/8 SHANK MADE IN THE USA (#A or #B or #BB) | eBay

For more tools click on "see other items"

Edge finders, thread wires, sine bars

Lost
    I have an assortment of Lost's tools that I bought a while back, and I'm very happy with the quality, fitness, and pricing of what I bought (edge finders, thread wires, sine bar, mag V blocks, and a few other things).

I gotta admit, I'm still using up the 3/8" Starrett edge finders that I have, but with my tendency to launch them with an ill-timed S7000 I'm sure I'll get to his in no time...

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've no problem whatsoever with specific products being mention by those that manufacture them - if in reply to someone looking for something that they believe their product can do.

It does raise the question - what would the reaction be if other non US shops and companies did the same?

I have no problem buying something Made in the USA but buying it simply for that reason isn't enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will pay more for a product made in the USA within reason even if no advantage in quality. All of the parts I machine are sold in the USA by Americans so I would be a hypocrite if I didn't try to keep as much of my consumer dollar stateside as possible. I have always read labels, obviously there are many items no longer made in the USA. One of them that really burns me is windshield wipers, for some reason my sausage fingers struggle to change them. No matter how much you spend they don't last more than 6 months. I can remember wipers lasting as long as your car payments if you took the standard 48 month loan back in the day.

8. Likes camscan, M.B. Naegle, Spinit liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualkit View Post
    I will pay more for a product made in the USA within reason even if no advantage in quality. All of the parts I machine are sold in the USA by Americans so I would be a hypocrite if I didn't try to keep as much of my consumer dollar stateside as possible. I have always read labels, obviously there are many items no longer made in the USA.
    Would it surprise you if a PM member from another country didn't want to do the same as you? Preferably buy products manufactured in their own country? Again if comparable in quality and price.

Most products I can think of get better because of competition. If no competition why change?

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post

I have no problem buying something Made in the USA but buying it simply for that reason isn't enough.
    Why?
    In the UK in the 1980s there was a "buy British" gubmint campaign. The company i did my apprenticeship for got a big .gov subsidy for buying a couple of Bridgeport cncs (made in Leicester).
    Obviously that was the good old "nationalistic" days unlike today where you're labelled fascist or a nazi or whatever...

11. Likes zsinstruments, Spinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I dont like the cheap imports or the companies that bring in so much of this crap. The only way that I personally can do something about it is to NOT buy their stuff, vote with your wallet, if you will. I will shop for "Made in USA" to slow the tide of cheap imports as much as to help the domestic sources still making things here.
    For the purpose of this thread - I think you guys in other countries could substitute your country for USA. Would you buy from domestic mfg or from an importer, given a choice?

13. Likes Dualkit liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F. View Post
    I dont like the cheap imports or the companies that bring in so much of this crap. The only way that I personally can do something about it is to NOT buy their stuff, vote with your wallet, if you will. I will shop for "Made in USA" to slow the tide of cheap imports as much as to help the domestic sources still making things here.
    For the purpose of this thread - I think you guys in other countries could substitute your country for USA. Would you buy from domestic mfg or from an importer, given a choice?
    I don't think this thread is about buying "cheap crap". The words "cheap crap" obviously has nothing to do with what should be bought unless price is the only factor. Things are "very cheap" for a reason.

Given the choice and same (as good as) quality and price, then I can't imagine anyone buying "foreign".

What I am getting from some posts is that buying "domestic" is more important than the quality and/or price. Hopefully it is up to each individual what they buy.

If I can't buy quality from my own country for something at more or less the same price as "foreign" then my loyalty is with my wallet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would you buy from domestic mfg or from an importer, given a choice?
    If all things were equal, yes, it makes sense. However they rarely are equal and the choice always seems to get made on some criteria before it gets to origin.

I don't think in matters of economics anyone really puts other's interest ahead of their own so other than some hand wringing it doesn't amount to much. (if I was wrong there wouldn't be a walmart or harbour freight). Besides, I think pride (a deadly sin) and nationalism and the rest of it is a bunch BS, crap you're fed so someone can manipulate you. Many probably bristle at that, but use logic and rational thought to distill away all the BS and its what you're left with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To Gordon- my most used machine is a German Leinen lathe, with an American Levin cross slide, and Swiss Schaublin collets. A mix of what I consider the best of those things. I measure my parts with Japanese Mitutoyo micrometers or Swiss Cary plug gages or for particular work a USA Levin mic. I'm a Yank in Switzerland. When I was stateside I used Starrett mics but switched to Mit based on feel. I like supporting U.S. companies but I won't compromise on quality. A new Levin slide rest is close to 4k, about the size of an adult male hand, and will be getting a backup soon. There's no better out there.

I do get being perplexed by folks wanting to buy potentially subpar products out of national pride, but it doesn't seem like that's the point of the thread. You've got a lot of posts here that don't have a thing to do with the topic; it's a bit wearying when that's the norm. I know you're smart and knowledgeable, I suggest respectfully that you might just take a chill pill and give of your knowledge rather than stirring the pot constantly.

17. Likes bucktruck, Mrs Clarke, Spinit, digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

FWIW, I bought my boss a Wilton “bullet”, the 5-1/2” Tradesman. I KNOW Wilton makes lots of import crap, but in the VERY recent past still made Columbian’s and the Tradesman in USA.
    Box showed up, now made in China. Did some calls & found leftover USA’s in stock at Bonneville Industrial. The Chinese one is back in the mail. Amazon of all places shows seller “Wilton” advertising a USA one as well as the new Chinese one, which is gray instead of green.

The import is not any cheaper & identical part number. Lucked out at Bonneville as they randomly had that vise on sale for $519.99, and this is a local store where I walk in, purchase, and walk out with the vise.

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Screwmachine View Post
    To Gordon- my most used machine is a German Leinen lathe, with an American Levin cross slide, and Swiss Schaublin collets. A mix of what I consider the best of those things. I measure my parts with Japanese Mitutoyo micrometers or Swiss Cary plug gages or for particular work a USA Levin mic. I'm a Yank in Switzerland. When I was stateside I used Starrett mics but switched to Mit based on feel. I like supporting U.S. companies but I won't compromise on quality. A new Levin slide rest is close to 4k, about the size of an adult male hand, and will be getting a backup soon. There's no better out there.

I do get being perplexed by folks wanting to buy potentially subpar products out of national pride, but it doesn't seem like that's the point of the thread. You've got a lot of posts here that don't have a thing to do with the topic; it's a bit wearying when that's the norm. I know you're smart and knowledgeable, I suggest respectfully that you might just take a chill pill and give of your knowledge rather than stirring the pot constantly.
    Of course I don't disagree with your first paragraph.

As to "You've got a lot of posts here that don't have a thing to do with the topic" then I don't think I'd post if I didn't think there was a connection.

From the OP I got the opinion that this thread was about buying American simply because they were US made. When it then turns to "cheap imported crap" then it has nothing to do with buying quality items at reasonable and competitive prices.

As to "giving of my knowledge" then what I've posted so far in this thread is pretty much the same as you wrote in your first paragraph. What I've posted, put as simply as I can is BUY DOMESTIC WHEN THE QUALITY AND PRICE ARE COMPARABLE. I doubt if we can disagree on that.

I'm genuinely curious. Can you give me an example of something I've written that "stirs the pot"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Of course I don't disagree with your first paragraph.

As to "You've got a lot of posts here that don't have a thing to do with the topic" then I don't think I'd post if I didn't think there was a connection.

From the OP I got the opinion that this thread was about buying American simply because they were US made. When it then turns to "cheap imported crap" then it has nothing to do with buying quality items at reasonable and competitive prices.

As to "giving of my knowledge" then what I've posted so far in this thread is pretty much the same as you wrote in your first paragraph. What I've posted, put as simply as I can is BUY DOMESTIC WHEN THE QUALITY AND PRICE ARE COMPARABLE. I doubt if we can disagree on that.

I'm genuinely curious. Can you give me an example of something I've written that "stirs the pot"?
    I just don't get why there are 4 posts in here not counting this one where you haven't added anything only questioned motives or stated the obvious. I'm pretty sure if the country was different you wouldn't be over 10% of the thread. I know some guys here have to post but c'mon Thermite at least has anecdotes sometimes.

21. Likes Mrs Clarke, digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started this thread because it is not really "easy" to go to the store and have a choice between foreign (read chineseium) and domestic made in USA goods. So for us here in USA it is a little bit of work to buy day to day goods that are made domestically. Where do people buy these items.
    I dont buy crap no matter where it is from but most of it is from China at this point in time. As a kid in early '70's toys that said "made in japan" were guaranteed to break faster than the chinese dollar store type of toys of today.
    Do you really read the fine print labels to see where items are made when you say you "BUY DOMESTIC WHEN THE QUALITY AND PRICE ARE COMPARABLE" Say for example, one store across town has the item of domestic mfg and the store you are in has the similar item of import mfg. Will you put the import back on the shelf and go out of you way to purchase domestic when you are already buying other things in the store with the import?

23. Likes Spinit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

To Gordon-
    You've got a lot of posts here that don't have a thing to do with the topic; it's a bit wearying when that's the norm. I know you're smart and knowledgeable, I suggest respectfully that you might just take a chill pill and give of your knowledge rather than stirring the pot constantly.
    I just don't get why there are 4 posts in here not counting this one where you haven't added anything only questioned motives or stated the obvious. I'm pretty sure if the country was different you wouldn't be over 10% of the thread. I know some guys here have to post but c'mon Thermite at least has anecdotes sometimes.
    Are you new here? That's just Gordon being Gordon, unfortunately. Perhaps if collectively we stopped quoting him he would refrain from responding EVERY SINGLE TIME but I doubt it.

While I think ignore lists are for pu$$ies, it does get tiring seeing his endless posts which 80% of the time have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

That being said, I still disagree with him being banned.

25. Likes Mrs Clarke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I get buy domestic. I get buy made in Michigan.
    What I do not get is buy Germany, Japan and even Vietnam okay but China not.
    Bob

27. Likes Spinit, converterking, Mark Rand liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And still no example of anything I've written just to "stir the pot". Maybe if you and bucktruck put your heads together you can up with just one example.

Until that happens I have no idea what you mean.

What does post #36 have to do with this thread topic?

Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started this thread because it is not really "easy" to go to the store and have a choice between foreign (read chineseium) and domestic made in USA goods. So for us here in USA it is a little bit of work to buy day to day goods that are made domestically. Where do people buy these items.
    I dont buy crap no matter where it is from but most of it is from China at this point in time. As a kid in early '70's toys that said "made in japan" were guaranteed to break faster than the chinese dollar store type of toys of today.
    Do you really read the fine print labels to see where items are made when you say you "BUY DOMESTIC WHEN THE QUALITY AND PRICE ARE COMPARABLE" Say for example, one store across town has the item of domestic mfg and the store you are in has the similar item of import mfg. Will you put the import back on the shelf and go out of you way to purchase domestic when you are already buying other things in the store with the import?
    That last sentence pretty much sums up the situation for many. If buying domestic was VERY important to me (again never forgetting "when quality and price is comparable") then what I could do is change where I purchase. I'm lucky in that there are more shops and stores within 10 minutes of where I live than I can count. I have my preferences and some I shop in much more than others.

As far as hand tools go I can choose between at least 5 places and all within a few minutes of each other. In my experience none of them sell "cheap crap" but there is a difference in the quality and price of what they sell.

I fully understand that not all are lucky enough to have multiple choices and often have to "take what they can get".

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm...Sumthin' H.Ford said....sumthin' about pay rates for workers.....