Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Houses and cars and candy bars.
    You're better than that or you live in weird places.

"Re "How long do you have to work?" to buy something is there anything more expensive today than say 40 years ago?"
    Last edited by Gordon B. Clarke; 06-30-2019 at 10:03 AM.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    It's been over 30 years since I stopped smoking but, and I have no idea if some tobacco companies still do so, at one time there were only 19 cigarettes in a pack to keep the price down.

Same with many other everyday items. There isn't as much in a packet etc. as there was.

Re "How long do you have to work?" to buy something is there anything more expensive today that say 40 years ago?
    #1 = It's called shrinkflation. You get less for the same price.
    #2 = land and houses for two...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SND View Post
    My Huebsch Laundry machine is made by Alliance Laundry Systems in the US, awesome super solid machine made to last like the old ones were, unlike all the mexico/china import junk. I'll buy the matching dryer as well when the time comes. Wahl hair/beard trimmer USA.
    New Frigidaire fridge bought a few months ago says assembled in USA, previous one did too but almost everything else in store was mexico/china.
    Almost all my shop tooling is USA, other than the Mit's stuff. Avoiding china like plague for shop tools.

I always look at labels and pick USA/Canada first even if its more $, every time!
    some US companies need to be a better job with marketting, nobody knows Huebsch/Alliance Laundry, yet everyone complains about the junk disposable import washers/dryers. There would be a huge market for more quality US/Canada made appliances if someone would just make and market them properly.
    Isn't Huebsch primarily a commercial laundry equipment maker? That would explain their lack of consumer advertising.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon B. Clarke View Post
    You're better than that or you live in weird places.
    Houses are roughly ten times what they cost in 1975. Hourly pay is roughly five times what it was in 1975. In many cases, less. Therefore, housing is more expensive than it used to be by a factor of (at least) two.

Candy bars are three times what they were ten years ago. Has hourly pay tripled in ten years ? I guess that's good for my teeth tho

I don't know new car prices so much but a top level 1970 Ford window van was $3,000. Good luck with that today.

Them's some examples of reduced buying power for ya, Captain.

5. Likes TeachMePlease, Jashley73 liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Houses are roughly ten times what they cost in 1975. Hourly pay is roughly five times what it was in 1975. In many cases, less. Therefore, housing is more expensive than it used to be by a factor of (at least) two.

Candy bars are three times what they were ten years ago. Has hourly pay tripled in ten years ? I guess that's good for my teeth tho

I don't know new car prices so much but a top level 1970 Ford window van was $3,000. Good luck with that today.

You've got to give a reference country when you toss those numbers out. Another Dane might correct me but off hand I can't think of anything that's become more expensive (current wages taken into consideration) than it was 10 years ago.

Hmm cigarettes are more expensive That's a political decision.

Denmark GDP (purchasing power parity) - Economy

Cost of Living in Denmark. Prices in Denmark. Updated Jul 2019

Average Monthly Net Salary (After Tax)
    20,507.29 kr That's $3,100
    Healthcare, education etc., etc. is then paid for.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes!
    I was in the supermarket the other day on the checkout was a lollipop - 35cents (30pGBP).
    I remember back in the day when they were 1penny...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wells-Index is still making knee mills in the USA: Wells-Index Milling Machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Flowtron Bug zappers.

Didn't even realize and they hardly stress it, but they last longer than the cheapo ones

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Made in USA trade show just opened today at Indianapolis Convention Center. Good opportunity to see some American made products ranging from tools to textile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Shoes have been a particular PITA for me over the last couple years. After having 3 pair all crap out on me at the same time, I vowed to never again buy a pair of cheap Chinese shoes, that couldn't be repaired. That search led me to a few US domestic shoe manufacturers. Not an exhaustive list, but a few that come to mind...

Allen Edmonds for Dress & Casual Shoes. You have to watch them as some of their lower-cost shoes are made outside the US, but the bulk of their mid to higher priced shoes are made in the US. Most of their shoes are Goodyear-Welted, meaning they can be re-soled by a AE themselves, or any local cobbler worth their salt. They run sales a lot too, so if you see something you like, wait for a sale.

Alden Shoes is another maker of dress & casual shoes. I don't know much about them otherwise.

Rancourt & Co. also makes dress & casual shoes in the USA.

Red Wing Shoes should be a familiar name for most of us on here. Again, you have to watch as not all of their stuff is made in USA.

New Balance makes some athletic shoes in the USA still.

Frye Shoes makes some of their shoes in the USA as well. (FWIW, my wife has a pair of their "riding boots" - Made in Mexico unfortunately, but of outstanding quality...)

I believe Eastland, L.L. Bean, Keen also have some styles made in the US as well.

12. Likes Dualkit liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Yes!
    I was in the supermarket the other day on the checkout was a lollipop - 35cents (30pGBP).
    I remember back in the day when they were 1penny...
    Never had a sweet tooth, even as a kid but I remember prices. Definitely candy has went up over and above the cost of inflation. When I was a kid in the late 60's I remember candy bars being 3 for 25 cents. That would make them a little less than 60 cents a piece in today's dollars.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where I live houses are probably 4-5 times the cost they are today than when they were in the mid 1970's but a few thing today are much cheaper than they were 10-20 years ago. A lot of electronics are much cheaper today than they were 10-20 years ago. Gas is about the same price, Milk and eggs are dirt cheap today but that can change in a heart beat. Cars are much more expensive but todays cars have way too much crap in them to help drive up the cost. Give me a basic car without cameras, GPS, Anti lock brakes, power windows, locks, steering etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went to a steam rally last week and my brother in law was looking through some old tools,I joined him. I found a brand new Bionic Wrench,made in USA. For those of you who don't know you squeeze the handles together and six steel pads close up to grip a hexagon. Size I should think is 3/4" down to 3/8". A really nice well made piece of kit.
    Unfortunately I will not use adjustable anything unless I am desperate so I suppose I have another wall ornament in my shed.