Power Tools - Warranties & Prices
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Assuming no significant differences in average quality between two brands of power tool (say a 3/8" 18V cordless drill) and identical odds of getting a lemon in either brand, which do you prefer:

1) Pay $50.00 and a 1 year warranty is included, or

2) Pay $40.00 with a 90 day warranty included and for $20.00 more you can extend the warranty by 2 years -- total warranty becomes 2-1/4 years, or

3) Pay $30.00 with essentially zero warranty and no possibility of extending it.

Now, how does the original range of base prices (say for a 12" circular bench saw instead of the lower end cordless drill) change your preference?

Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As much as H'Depot and Lowe's are following in the big W's footsteps I can still exchange a busted power tool,no questions asked,at H'Depot.I bought a Ryobi 4 1/2" disc grinder a year ago dropped it and busted the stablizing handle off and they replaced it no questions asked.Same with a Skil brand power saw my wife sawed to the cord off of,with the saw itself.Same with any other tools I've bought from them power tools or otherwise.So I just pick what I need at their price and don't worry with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is one place where the lawyers have done us a favor.

Most articles have an implied warranty for fitness of purpose. If it breaks early or doesn't do what it is held out to do, you can return it. This is present reagrdless of the written warranty that comes in the box.

The statement "your warranty rights may vary from state to state" reflects this implied warranty. It can vary with jurisdiction.

Most retailers don't want any hassle. The price of the product is so low that replacing it saves more money that the cost of the labor to argue about it. The last thing any store wants is for you to take your case to small claims court.

Extended warranties and service agreements are worthwhile only on the very expensive stuff. They act like insurance policies and they are money makers for the ones who issue them.

Most often you are all right taking the article and going. It is warranted enough as it is.

By the way, the implied warranty can affect used equipment also. That's why sellers will list an expensive used article "as is, where is" if they have any reservations about making good on hidden damages or wear.

As for prices of power tools, especially the drill motors and circular saws. From the ones I have taken apart, I see that the innards are almost the same on all of them. There is a little SCR control in the trigger mechanism made by a third party and the permag DC motor is just about always a third party item. All the stuff is made in You-Know-Where.

The scr-trigger that I have in my junk box came from a 9 volt drill. It is rated for 15 volts. Does anyone think that the 14 volt drill motors have a different control? How about the motor? Maybe-maybe not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depends on your expected usage.

I do a large construction contract for 3 months every year. It beats the heck out of hand power tools, screw guns, drills and saws. None last more than 2 years.

I paid the 2 year extended warranty on those tools 6 years ago, and have gotten replacements or reairs ever since. So cheaper than buying replacements.

For the tools I have at home, no extended warranty, with occasional use, will last for many years.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For a cordless drill, go for the one that has spare batteries at a reasonable price. Or, buy two drills at $30 each, then you have all the spares you'll need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The most amusing used equipment ad I ever saw was in a construction magazine right after the World Trade Center was completed:

For Sale, as is, where is, two tower cranes, used to build the World Trade Center.

Thermo1