What's new
What's new

This is probably why we nobody makes things: Facebook Offers 3 Billion to Snapchat.

Whatley

Cast Iron
I assume many of you are at least familiar with Facebook. But Seeing as I barely know what Snapchat is, I am assuming many of y'all don't. To give y'all the Gist: It's a app on smartphones that lets you send private/anonymous pictures and messages. The big deal is that after 10 seconds, the pictures and messages get erased. It's huge with teenagers right now ( I had to ask my baby sister what the hell it even was)

Also, the main draw to this from what I understand is that teenagers can send nude photos to each other without it "being stored forever" because the application offers the 10 second protection thing.

So why is this even a thing and why the hell should we care about it? Both good goddamn questions. My point is incoming.

Facebook just offered the Founder of Snapchat, a 23 year old kid. $3,000,000,000 for the 2 year old startup. And what's more mind boggling, he turned down the offer.

Snapchat currently GENERATES NO PROFITS. What everyone is banking on is the advertising rights to put advertisements at the bottom of every picture it sends.

What pisses me off is this: Everyone is jumping all over advertisement capabilities, it's what generated most of Facebook's $100 Billion valuation. And if you can create a quick little app with a handful of employees in an office and then get 3 Billion offers purely for advertising... why in the hell would you ever physically make anything ever again?

You can make iphone apps from your computer with a few hundred dollars worth of software, and pending vertical growth all you need is to buy server and database storage, which is getting cheaper every day.

Who is going to wake up at 5am to get down on a shop floor, get oil on their hands, cuts on their knuckles, put metal to metal and make anything when you can wake up at 10, and work in your pajamas from the comfort of your own home?

I mean If we keep just making things to promote advertising... Aren't we eventually going to run out of things to advertise about? If no one is making anything... then who is going to be buying advertising space?

Here is the Article for further reading: Facebook offered Snapchat $3 billion

You can make iphone apps from your computer with a few hundred dollars worth of software, and pending vertical growth all you need is to buy server and database storage, which is getting cheaper every day.

Who is going to wake up at 5am to get down on a shop floor, get oil on their hands, cuts on their knuckles, put metal to metal and make anything when you can wake up at 10, and work in your pajamas from the comfort of your own home?

I mean If we keep just making things to promote advertising... Aren't we eventually going to run out of things to advertise about? If no one is making anything... then who is going to be buying advertising space?

Here is the Article for further reading: Facebook offered Snapchat $3 billion

To make iPhone apps you need an Intel Mac, they run $1000+ new, (mini aside and you want one with a big screen, so more like $2000) the Software is free through the app store, the right to publish apps in the app store costs $99 a year. With a good internet connection a mini mac could be your server for around $600.

Building apps is a little to difficult for the average person, Objective-C the programing language used to make native iPhone apps is akin to english, it's powerful but takes some time to learn.

I'd like to think I would have the ethics to turn down 3 billion form Zuckerburg, I think he is a big douche, even compared to the guy that built an app used primarily for kids to sext each other.

I laughed out loud at the thread title. It'll be interesting how much longer people continue to over-value these companies. You'd think at some point people would realize that putting your entire life on the internet is both obnoxious and an invasion of your own privacy.

Snapchat is effin sweet because you can draw on the pics.

Take a snap, add a caption, circle the broken shit/flaming crater/god awful fab work, save it and email back to my boss. Boom, now the big man knows why we're behind schedule and why I fired the welding crew.

This happened in about 5 minutes from my cell phone at the cost of $0.

(Not a 100% true story, but a conglomeration of shit that happened a couple projects ago.)

Just look at how myspace went newscorp paid $580million and sold it for $35million,I think a lot of these sites have limited lifespans at their peak,and especially now since all the wikileak's/spying related things,I think people are going to start to re-evaluate a lot of things and this bubble may burst.

At no cost? Wake up! You already paid for it and will pay even more. No matter wether you use that dumb service or not. With every product you buy, you pay for advertising.
Or do you think those 3B dollars offered would come out of thin air?

You pay/paid for it!

Edit:
If I would be a dictator, I would hang those companies' bosses, that rip off everybody's money without making any useful contribution to society.
CRAP!

Nick

I find it pretty funny that in 08 the market/world crashed apparently due to a housing bubble that wasn't worth as much as it was propped up to be or what was backing it, and yet there's all these things like facebook, twitter, and who knows what else in that category on the market now, sure is hard to figure how they think there's something behind that stuff.

People sure value a lot of worthless stuff.

Snapchat is effin sweet because you can draw on the pics.

Take a snap, add a caption, circle the broken shit/flaming crater/god awful fab work, save it and email back to my boss. Boom, now the big man knows why we're behind schedule and why I fired the welding crew.

(Not a 100% true story, but a conglomeration of shit that happened a couple projects ago.)

I fail to see how sending a snapchat is a good way to communicate in business.

I fail to see how sending a snapchat is a good way to communicate in business.

Ya man, sending images electronically is real fly by night stuff. :rolleyes:

If someone knows of another free app where I can add drawings/captions to a pic then email/text it- I'm all ears.

By $0 I mean no additional costs. It's all on my phone so I don't need an air-card or even my laptop. For field people it's a nifty little app. To those who sit at a desk in a building all day I'm sure Photoshop/paint/etc are better to use.

Besides who doesn't like a random topless snap from the gf to break up your work day? :)

I don't think it's a $3b app, Im mainly saying that it does have some neat abilities that are useful beyond the stigma that it's for kids to swap dirty pics.

Ya man, sending images electronically is real fly by night stuff. :rolleyes:

If someone knows of another free app where I can add drawings/captions to a pic then email/text it- I'm all ears.

By $0 I mean no additional costs. It's all on my phone so I don't need an air-card or even my laptop. For field people it's a nifty little app. To those who sit at a desk in a building all day I'm sure Photoshop/paint/etc are better to use.

Besides who doesn't like a random topless snap from the gf to break up your work day? :)

I don't think it's a $3b app, Im mainly saying that it does have some neat abilities that are useful beyond the stigma that it's for kids to swap dirty pics.

Most of the nicer Samsung phones have this feature built in. I can draw on pictures then email them to my co-workers with my Note 2 (going to upgrade to a 3 in December, really a sweetheart phone).

Make an app that captures photos from Snapchat and sell it for 3,000,000,000 . Then make an app that protects your photos from that app and sell it for 3,000,000,000. Isn't that kinda what antivirus software does?

Isn't it bloody amazing how ridiculously overvalued these Software creations are. I thought Facebook was way overvalued when it debuted at 100 billion, comparing it to companies that actually make something .

I

Facebook just offered the Founder of Snapchat, a 23 year old kid. $3,000,000,000 for the 2 year old startup. And what's more mind boggling, he turned down the offer.

When you refuse an offer like that, you deserve to have your whole life turn to SHIT. They need to invent another word for something that stupid and greedy.

Did anybody own any tech stock in 1999 or are you all trying to forget that like I am? History repeats itself?

Big B

Big B,

How true,

Thanks for opening those wounds! The Snap chat geniuses were only 9 years old at that time. 3 billion huh, good idea to pass on that, huh?

You could buy Costa Rica or another country for that, couldn't you? (this post is in no way meant to be derogatory to Costa Rica)

The economy is so propped up these days by federal reserve bankster monetary policy. They've created bubbles in the past and continue to do so today. Companies that produce nothing "tangible" are contributing to the movement of wealth from the 99% to the 1%. With nothing tangible to produce, there are no opportunities for lower scale employment.

You can well believe history will repeat itself.

Back