Protest March on Wall Street..... any reliable accounts of what actually happened? - Page 76
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 76 of 112 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 2235
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And then there's this bit of financial hypocrisy:

BBC News - Gingrich says Freddie Mac never paid him to lobby

2. Likes aerodark, John Welden liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    And then there's this bit of financial hypocrisy:

BBC News - Gingrich says Freddie Mac never paid him to lobby
    Yeah, he was a consultant. I suppose you could do
    anything as a consultant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoBoy View Post
    Yeah, he was a consultant. I suppose you could do anything as a consultant.
    Yeah, pretty funny. First he lied about the amount: he said he was paid $300,000, it was actually $1.6 - 1.8 million. Then he claims the $1.6 million wasn't for lobbying, “What he did was provide counsel on public policy issues.”

But his boss at Freddie Mac was Mitchell Delk, Freddie Mac’s chief lobbyist. Newt was paid a self-renewing, monthly retainer of $25,000 to $30,000 between May 1999 until 2002. That's a lot of freaking counsel!

Gingrich Said to Be Paid at Least $1.6 Million by Freddie Mac - Bloomberg

"Former Freddie Mac officials familiar with the consulting work Gingrich was hired to perform for the company in 2006 tell a different story. They say the former House speaker was asked to build bridges to Capitol Hill Republicans and develop an argument on behalf of the company’s public-private structure that would resonate with conservatives seeking to dismantle it."

Heh. "Build Bridges." So many creative words for bribery these days...

Edit, to add: that's hardly a partisan issue -- as Newt points out, Barney Frank took similar amounts to *cough* build bridges as he did...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't the Newtster call his position "historian"?

Creative politico-speak for lobbyist.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could someone please punch Newt in the face a few times? That guy is such a phony. How do people fall for that shit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Welden View Post
    Could someone please punch Newt in the face a few times? That guy is such a phony. How do people fall for that shit?
    Tell me what he's that phony about that you are soliciting this violent act in a public forum - given the right motivation I might consider it.

8. Likes Oldnewguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lazlo View Post
    Yeah, pretty funny. First he lied about the amount: he said he was paid $300,000, it was actually $1.6 - 1.8 million. Then he claims the $1.6 million wasn't for lobbying, “What he did was provide counsel on public policy issues.”
    This is established as fact where?

But his boss at Freddie Mac was Mitchell Delk, Freddie Mac’s chief lobbyist. Newt was paid a self-renewing, monthly retainer of $25,000 to $30,000 between May 1999 until 2002. That's a lot of freaking counsel!
    Is that out of line for that service? What do chief lobbyists normally pay for high profile consultants? Is that a lot of money to a chief lobbyist? I'm aware of sports stars that will make that much before the seventh inning stretch. Is there anything inherently wrong with offering or accepting a retainer fee in that ball park?

This is a trash article which if you were to apply simple critical thinking to would have revealed itself to you at "None of the former Freddie Mac officials who spoke on condition of anonymity..."

This forum seems to be where supposition and superstition merge into an alternate reality.

10. Likes conceptdevelopers, Oldnewguy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

dp -- seems to me you may have missed the point. The issue is not if Gingrich is worth $1.6M for some dubious "historical consulting" but his hypocrisy.

From the BBC report:

"During a televised debate in October, he criticized Democrats for their close ties to Freddie Mac lobbyists."

"And in the 2008 presidential race, Mr Gingrich criticised Barack Obama for accepting campaign contributions from executives of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae."

So, it's OK for Gingrich to take $1.6M from Freddie and Fannie, but not OK for Democrats? The guy is a facile hypocrite. He wants to impeach Clinton for lying about infidelities while engaging in much the same infidelities on his own (and with two wives). Similar positions with Libya, spending on bling beyond his means, etc. etc. What's deplorable, criminal, or just wrong for others, turns out to be OK for him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Occupy San Francisco done right:

Hit and Run Hula; Stockton and O'Farrell - YouTube

Mahalo nui!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PeteM View Post
    dp -- seems to me you may have missed the point. The issue is not if Gingrich is worth $1.6M for some dubious "historical consulting" but his hypocrisy.

From the BBC report:

"During a televised debate in October, he criticized Democrats for their close ties to Freddie Mac lobbyists."
    That is not first source information, Pete. That is a report. What does a review of the video of that debate reveal? Perhaps it backs up the claim. Or not. We don't know, but we know you believe the report. Why? I hope it is because you saw the video and can provide a link to it so we can all see it.

Wait - was it this genius? Newt Gingrich Freddie Mac & Fannie Mae Hypocrite - YouTube

"And in the 2008 presidential race, Mr Gingrich criticised Barack Obama for accepting campaign contributions from executives of Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae."
    This is pure BS. Barry is the president, then a senator. Newt is a private citizen. Newt is earning a paycheck, Barry is getting a handout. Newt provided advice he believed in but which Freddie Mac did not. Newt did not like the way FM was being run and that was his advice. FM blew him off. Newt got paid for doing the right thing. What did Barry do?

So, it's OK for Gingrich to take $1.6M from Freddie and Fannie, but not OK for Democrats?
    You have failed miserably to demonstrate your premise is on solid ground. What, for example, did Newt do to earn his pay vs what did the democrats do to earn their pay? What can you tell us about that?

The guy is a facile hypocrite. He wants to impeach Clinton for lying about infidelities while engaging in much the same infidelities on his own (and with two wives).
    Not even going to take this bait. Clinton was not disbarred because he was cheating on Hil. You know it, I know it. Puhleaze!

Similar positions with Libya, spending on bling beyond his means, etc. etc. What's deplorable, criminal, or just wrong for others, turns out to be OK for him.
    Michelle spent $400,000 taxpayer dollars so her consultant daughters could visit Africa. You want to complain about how Newt spends his own money? Let's go, bud - I'm in.

14. Likes conceptdevelopers, smalltime liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dp View Post
    Occupy San Francisco done right:

Hit and Run Hula; Stockton and O'Farrell - YouTube

Mahalo nui!
    Someone skipped their ADD meds last night.................

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

for most of us it`s enough when it looks like crap and smells like crap.
    we don`t have to taste it,touch it, or further scrutinize it to know we don`t want it around.

dp- did you miss that the "report" was a televised debate? as in Gingrich on tape during a debate.
    hard to defend that.

and no one is picking on the repubs on this issue. the dems are in too.

17. Likes aerodark liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Utah
    Post Thanks / Like

Newt got paid for doing the right thing.

These latest tidbits on Newt demonstrate how versed he is on talking out of both sides of his mouth. And then reaping the benefit$ by doing so. Any supposed scholar should be able to figure this out. The machinists on this board that you patronize daily surely can.

19. Likes 77ironhead, lazlo liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by aerodark View Post
    Didn't the Newtster call his position "historian"?

Creative politico-speak for lobbyist.
    Here's why he is called a historian

From wikipedia

He received a B.A. in history from Emory University in Atlanta in 1965. He received an M.A. in 1968, and then a PhD in modern European history from Tulane University in New Orleans in 1971.[10] His dissertation was entitled "Belgian Education Policy in the Congo: 1945–1960". While at Tulane, Gingrich, who at the time belonged to no religious group, began attending the St. Charles Avenue Baptist Church to pursue an interest in the effect of religion on political theory; he was soon baptized by Rev. G. Avery Lee.[11] In 1970, Gingrich was appointed an Assistant Professor in the history department at West Georgia College (now the University of West Georgia) in Carrollton. In 1974 he moved to the geography department. While at West Georgia, Gingrich was instrumental in establishing an inter-disciplinary Environmental Studies program. He left at the end of the 1977–1978 academic year, after being denied tenure.[12] He also taught a class, Renewing American Civilization, at Kennesaw State University (then called Kennesaw State College) in 1993.[13]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Right, because Bloomberg/Businessweek is a tabloid notorious for baseless articles

This forum seems to be where supposition and superstition merge into an alternate reality.
    Dennis, if you haven't noticed, you're the only one in this thread not posting articles or citations.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    for most of us it`s enough when it looks like crap and smells like crap.
    we don`t have to taste it,touch it, or further scrutinize it to know we don`t want it around.

dp- did you miss that the "report" was a televised debate? as in Gingrich on tape during a debate.
    hard to defend that.
    No - I focused on that in my response. I want to see the video to know what Newt said. As I posted, that may prove the charge is true. Or not. Just reading what someone's review of it was isn't the same thing as seeing the vid.

Newt's purpose (his claim) is he was attempting to advise FM to make changes to FM. FM disagreed and didn't make the changes. Recall he is a private citizen and not in an influential elected office. Both FM and Newt agree on this part. So far it looks like private citizen Newt was a FM reformer. Nobody has shown any reason to be suspect of Newt aside from the fact that he was associated with FM and was paid by them to improve the org. Nothing to do with lobbying, either by him to of him.

So I'll continue reading the thread (long night at work last night) and see if there's a link to the video that will convince me he is being duplicitous.

I just took a look at my old contracting fees and see I charged $350/hour which if I were to be retained would about to $56,000/month, appx. I just agreed to a contract (I'm a third party) to pay $375/hour time and materials for one-time telephone support on an end-of-life piece of computer hardware. The retainer fee is $14,000 for two months. That's just phone calls. Hands-on is $2500/day, pre-paid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

LOL! That lists 273,500 "CEO's". There aren't anywhere close to 275,000 publicly traded companies in the US -- that's including the principal of any incorporated Mom and Pop LLC as a "CEO."

Here's another ranking of real CEO's:
    JoePa's retirement package for being a disgraced football coach at Penn is half a billion dollars/year.

What's your point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the BBC report:

That is not first source information, Pete. That is a report. What does a review of the video of that debate reveal? Perhaps it backs up the claim. Or not. We don't know, but we know you believe the report. Why? I hope it is because you saw the video and can provide a link to it so we can all see it.
    Uh, Dennis -- Pete is talking about the televised Republican debate! This is the same debate where Perry forgot which agency he wanted to kill. Don't you keep up with the news?!

During the debate (which you obviously didn't watch), Bachman was going on about how Freddie & Fanni were responsible for the housing crash, and how they spent millions on lobbyists to keep Bush from breaking them up -- that it was the worst example of crony capitalism.

The moderator then turned to Newt, and said: what do you have to say about Michelle's comment? You were paid $300,00 in 2006 alone as a "Strategic Consultant". That's when Newt's infamous "historian" comment came out.

The point being, that Newt Gingrich is a sterling example of crony capitalism and corruption on Capital Hill. You can argue about the amounts, and what to call it, but even Newt admits that he was paid $30K/month by Freddie for years. It's laughable to claim that the money was for history lessons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Right, because Bloomberg/Businessweek is a tabloid notorious for baseless articles

Dennis, if you haven't noticed, you're the only one in this thread not posting articles or citations.
    I've posted plenty of supporting links. What I'm asking for in this particular conversation is for a link to Newt's video where he supposedly has said the things the BBS post claims he said. It is simply wrong to accept that reporter's perspective on what Newt said without exploring what Newt actually said. I'm not even defending Newt - I'm defending critical thinking. I think Newt is a bastard, in fact, because of the crap he pulled in his personal life with his wife. He appears to be a serial skirt chaser who doesn't let his marriages get in the way. Reminiscent of the Kennedy years.

The link I posted to the TYT video is an example of someone who looks at information and regurgitates it with his own biases spilling out into the aisles. No evidence is offered, but he clearly churns what he believes into an alternative reality. Unmentioned or offered, as if it somehow were not important in the TYT vid or the BBC article is what Newt actually said, and in the BBC article there are no credible witnesses. The important word there being "credible".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

JoePa's retirement package for being a disgraced football coach at Penn is half a billion dollars/year.
    Um, Dennis -- what does that have to do with anything? Are you trying the Red Herring strategy again?

What's your point?
    Dimitri claimed that most CEO's weren't in the 1%, which is wildly off-base. The point is, American CEO's of are paid, on average, 4 - 10 times more than CEO's in any other country. The CEO of Exxon, for example, is paid 4 times the CEO of BP, even though their market cap is nearly identical.

Which is why every foreign CEO would *love* to get a job in the US -- it's hitting the lottery!

The fact that the CEO of United Health Care is paid $102 million/year to run a company that doesn't provide any value to the doctor or patient highlights a very fundamental problem with our economy, and our healthcare system.

Likewise, the fact that government insiders are being paid $30K/month to pander their influence, or that Congressmen are placing stock shorts betting against Wall Street based on highly sensitive information they're provided by the Secretary of the Treasury and the Chairman of the Fed is indicative of critical flaws in our system of crony capitalism.

Until we fix these problems, it's meaningless who we elect for President, for Congress. Your political representatives will act according to a $30K/month paycheck every time over their constituents.