Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    There are a two threads which you started which everyone eventually left yet you have made a steady effort to revive them. No one bites or have you even bothered to notice? They both should be closed. They are like the things a girlfriend will take and throw by the road out front after she has kicked the boyfriend out.

It amounts to garbage by the road.

If there are threads which should be closed on here then this is a perfect example of one. Start a new thread. The mods that be will be performing a merciful act of public service.
    I'm the one who revived the thread this time, not OP.

Speaking of hyperinflation, I recently checked my utility bills and did a big WTF IS GOING ON????? face....

Since January 1, my gas bill has QUADRUPLED! The property company sent a boilerplate notice saying "yea we get it this sucks but they raised their prices for some unknown reason". Well that's great, thanks for the heads up!

Gas has steadily been climbing and is hovering around $3/gal up from $1.70 6 months ago. Not that that is a clear economic indicator.

Another thing I'd like to clarify is that just because the stock market has been performing admirably for years does not mean that the economy is doing well.

I'd like to know when the last time wages went up? 1970? Yes you can negotiate raises here and there but if the starting salary for a CNC machinist (not a button pusher) is still $20 then something is broken. The government has injected $6Trn into economy to save it.

What happens when the moratorium on eviction is lifted? Something like 11 million households haven't paid rent in over a year. Are they just going to happily pay that back rent when they face eviction? No those people are hanging on by a thread. So they get evicted, belly up, landlords lose a year in mortage payments, they default, BAM recession. This isn't that hard to see coming!

To me, this is the calm before the storm. You have so many economic indicators pointing toward a crisis. The other shoe will drop, it is just a matter of when.

2. Likes TeachMePlease liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A trades guy was out bidding a job for me today- he said all sorts of materials use "Iso" which is some sort of key ingredient and in a global shortage.
    He said his supplier told him $75 buck sheet OSB is coming down the pike soon.
    Warned to buy up shrink wrap now as it also needs this "Iso" stuff and is gonna be triple price in the fall etc.

I didn't know what he was referring to but he sure was worried.

Edit-
    With a quick look about he must have been referring to the isocyanates.
    Last edited by Trboatworks; 04-27-2021 at 05:57 AM.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Think he means ISO...everything is ISO now ,metric standard compliant ,like DIN -B etc.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmanuelGoldstein View Post
    Viewpoint gained from living at both extremes - the 'system' makes no difference. Democracy, real democracy, social democracy, communism, marxism, theocracy, monarchy, all no difference in reality. It's competence that counts.

I'd say more visible is the stupidity of the masses in the west. Well over half the people in the US need to be slapped in the face with a wet fish. Idiots ....
    You know better than to make a nit wit history evaluation like that. Nothing matters?

Everything can matter with the right circumstances for any and all of these proven.

Democracy is proven. All these forms of government have been implemented and have had varying levels of success. When will you admit that our form of government has allowed the rise of the United States to the highest form of superpower in the world that the world has ever seen.

Depends on time and place. You tout China in its entire history as the best system or culture on the face of the earth. The civilization is notable for many things.If they must learn a cosmic lesson or even if we do then we will learn it.

Hopefully we all can learn from our past and so far you are not a Saint and neither are we. Humans move onward hopefully in the right direction.

All these forms of government could survive and thrive somewhat yet right now democracy, real democracy is a agreed upon model before we intentionally screw it up. The same can be said of Communism and yet it is still very young and unproven.

If anything can be seen regularly in government is that they tend to spill a lot of blood. Communism has happened to do that on a high and efficient level. Who can know exactly how many died. With Stalin it came to light largely after the fall of Communism.

This opening up and taking inventory has not happened yet in China. We are not hating on the Chinese historically. We have responded to being taken advantage of and we have had a sneak attack by China during the Korean War.

We did not invade China yet China waited the whole war out until we chased the superior Communists past the Yalu River. Had we planned to invade China then nothing would stop us. Instead the Chinese sought to prove America would not fight. Whoever convinces countries to actually believe this must be pretty old right now. Maybe they are really a family in the business of war.

All that aside EG isn’t it time for everyone to stop fing around? Everyone is just making things hard leading to just more conflict.

Fair concerns about intellectual property and the copying of technology and outright stealing is not the right way and yet you have insisted that the Chinese feel it is their Cultural right to steal it. The only time they get all moralistic about it is when someone steals from them.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trboatworks View Post
    A trades guy was out bidding a job for me today- he said all sorts of materials use "Iso" which is some sort of key ingredient and in a global shortage.
    He said his supplier told him $75 buck sheet OSB is coming down the pike soon.
    Warned to buy up shrink wrap now as it also needs this "Iso" stuff and is gonna be triple price in the fall etc.

I didn't know what he was referring to but he sure was worried.

Edit-
    With a quick look about he must have been referring to the isocyanates.
    Ive already seen reddit posts of $75 OSB from home depot so its definitely happening

EDIT: link for the lazy this is Fackin Crazy Shiz Oriented Strand Board - OSB - Plywood - The Home Depot

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That pricing is crazy.
    I used to bitch when good quality 1/2” CDX went over $18...

8. Likes metalmadness liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trueturning View Post
    You know better than to make a nit wit history evaluation like that. Nothing matters?
    That is not what I said at all (although it may be the truth.) What I said was, the system makes no difference. What matters is the competence and goals of the government, not what kind it is.

There have been good and bad examples of every form of government, including fascist. A (jewish) friend of mine once said, "Nazi Germany wasn't really bad at all - as long as you were a nazi." He had a point. South Carolina in 1850 was a lovely place - as long as you were a white slave-owner.

Democracy is proven.
    Proven to be as much of a failure as anything else. In western history, Sparta and Athens were democracies, fell apart, it wasn't tried again for 2,000 years. Not exactly an overwhelming tribute.

When will you admit that our form of government has allowed the rise of the United States to the highest form of superpower in the world that the world has ever seen.
    Never. The United States became rich and powerful because our ancestors walked into Midas' storehouse and took it. An entire continent of free natural resources, with nothing in the way except a bunch of hunter-gather Indians. It's like walking into Fort Knox with a wheelbarrow, guarded by the Cub Scouts.

You tout China in its entire history as the best system or culture on the face of the earth.
    Again incorrect. Many people here spout stupidity from 10,000 miles away, I just try to present the other side. China is better - for Chinese people. They developed that organization, they like it, it suits them. People in the US should learn to shut their ignorant fucking mouths about stuff they dont understand. If I wuz god, I'd for sure take that missionary complex y'all have and jam it up your ass, then drive it home with a ten pound wooden mallet. LEAVE OTHER PEOPLE ALONE. YOU DON'T OWN THE WORLD.

real democracy is a agreed upon model before we intentionally screw it up.
    Already did. Citizens United. Corporations are people. Pretty soon they will get to vote based on their market cap, like slaves were counted before. Mussolini defined fascism as "Government working in service to corporations." That fits the US now to a T.

If anything can be seen regularly in government is that they tend to spill a lot of blood. Communism has happened to do that on a high and efficient level.
    Horsecrap. The US kills more people in a week than China has in ten years. This is stupid.

We have responded to being taken advantage of
    Oh da poor babies ! Taken advantage of ! Oh noes !

Historically, the US has "taken advantage" of 2/3 of the world. Go read a history book, one that was not published by the John Birch Society.

For just one example, you still worship Matthew Perry - who "opened Japan" at gunpoint. How would you like it if, say, Iran drove a fleet into New York Harbor and suggested that you let them set up a small city of Iranians in Charleston ? Hey, ya know, they need a praying station for Moslem ships on the way to South America ... so it's justified, right ? What they want, they get ? That act taught the Japanese that militarism works. Matthew Perry is responsible for Pearl Harbor.

You guys are really slow learners.

and we have had a sneak attack by China during the Korean War.
    A sneak attack ? Just out of curiosity, what was the US doing in Korea ? Your puppet stooge Syngman Rhee asked you to come visit ? Even the Koreans shitcanned that asshole later, you know. Korea is halfway around the world, has nothing to do with you. Nothing. It's on the border with Heilongjiang, and McArthur was headed north with every intention of attacking China next, with nukular bombs. If Truman hadn't fired the mouth-drizzling cocksucker, he would have. Sneak, hardly. They waited until there was no other choice.

All that aside EG isn’t it time for everyone to stop fing around?
    I heartily agree. Take your goddamned navy and park it off your own coast. Take your fucking worthless army out of Asia, out of Europe, out of existence. Let it defend the continental US, like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson wanted. Quit playing Empire, and a whole lot of bad things will stop happening. Take the Pentagon and make low-income housing out of the place. It's already a playpen for mouth-breathers.

Think about it. Take the trillion dollars you piss away every year on "defending our (imaginary) freedom" and put them into stuff that would actually make the US a better place, and viola, maybe you could cut it as a decent country.

Fair concerns about intellectual property ...
    Imaginary Property can suck dick. It's stupid. Doesn't exist. You can't own ideas, or colors, or sounds. Go back to Jefferson's concept of patents and the intelligent world can agree with you, but as it is ? Fuck off. And take Mickey Mouse with you.

But since you're here, might enjoy this. Not too bad. It's your favorite subject, China and Korea

https://youtu.be/EquRENml4To

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Horsecrap. The US kills more people in a week than China has in ten years. This is stupid.
    Do you really need evidence this is false? Let's talk about those Uighur...

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by metalmadness View Post
    Do you really need evidence this is false? Let's talk about those Uighur...
    Let's not. You don't know a goddamned thing about uighurs. Nothing but crap you read in the dipshit lying US press. May as well get your info about the US from Pravda.

But I do know how US cops behave, because I've seen it up close and personal.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just curious. How many Chinese died in The Great Leap Forward?

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
    Also curious. How many Americans died in the Civil War ? how many starved during the Depression ? How many enslaved, lynched, and shot in the back over the past 250 years ?

How many Chinese died building the great wall ? How many died defending Korea from the Japs in 1590 ? How many were killed by Genghis Khan ? How many murdered by the Japs in the 1930's ?

What the fuck, over ?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You got lotsa questions.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hold on, I got it. Somewhere between 15 and 50 million. Depends on who you ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's sure a good thing that out of those 15- to 50 million killed that Mao didn't take out many GCPs or else his reputation might have been tarnished.

Remember, everybody: Before you embark on a career of mass murder, first head down do your local communist party office and get a membership. Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot all got the memo and are remembered fondly. But Pinochet, that non-communist underachiever, who only took out about 0.1% of the sum killed by the other three, was very evil.

Just sayin, a guy can learn useful things from history books.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes- one learns to not defend the indefensible.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ha ! Where's my Carnac the Magnificent hat ? I knew you would come up with that tired old "mao killed 80 million people" crap

In fact, your numbers are garbage. No one knows, and no one will ever know. It's like estimating the numbers at the Battle of Nicopolis, there's no real numbers so it's all guess work. Sooprize sooprize, the John Birch Society is going to come up with one number, anyone rational with quite another.

How much do you know about the Great Leap Forward ? Close to nothing, I am pretty sure ? Do administrative and policy failures equal murder to you ? If so, new meme ! new meme ! the Beloved Leader of 80 million amurricans is guilty of murdering 600,000 in one year !

If you read actual history, first, your number is wildly inflated, it includes all the people who normally die in a year. Reality is likely closer to 3.5 million died from famine. Probably the biggest failure was the Four Pests campaign - three of the four were worth eradicating but sparrows (because they eat grain) turned out to be a disaster. They also eat bugs, and bugs are a worse depredation on crops than sparrows. Mosquitoes and rats and flies, not sure there's anything positive about them ? Good riddance to bad rubbish ? Not very Buddhist of me, amitabha

btw, I am expecting an "eradicate bats" campaign in the west any day now. You've already had "eradicate wolves" and "eradicate bears and mountain lions and wild horses" campaigns. Silent Spring was printed at about the same time as the Four Pests campaign, so the US wasn't all that smart either. And nowadays, rather than adhering to reasonable controls on salmonella, you've gone all-in for stupid shit that isn't going to work, but keeps corpfarmers happy.

The Dust Bowl, btw, was the US' own Great Leap and it was no picnic either. How many people did Herbert Hoover kill ?

There was also a drought, which happens periodically in China killing hundreds of thousands -- this ain't no pipsqueak country like the US, natural disasters get big numbers when you have a big population ... which brings up another point. Absolute numbers do not tell the story (espeically when grossly inflated.) China, abut 800 million at the time. Take the median of your John Birch numbers, say 35 million deaths. That's ~ 5% of the population.

US bombing of North Korea killed 20% of the population

US massacre of Filipinos when it colonized that country, 7% of the population

US bombing and ground war in Vietnam, over two million at least, 7% of the population

US Army annihilation of the Indian population, 80-90% ?

(For another comparison, Ireland lost 25% of its population during the Great-Britain-caused potato famine.)

The Great Leap Forward was nowhere near the greatest human-caused disaster in history, on a per-capita basis.

Lots of causes for the failures of the Great Leap. On the other hand, there were successes, too. Look where China is today as a result of many of these programs. You put a difficult part on the mill, the first one you scrap, the second one barely makes it, the third one is pretty good, by part five or ten you've got this bugger down. The test of a government is not whether they ever fuck up or not, but whether they can learn from their mistakes. You have to look at the US Congress and shake your head, time after time after time they insist on doing the exact same stupid thing that didn't work last time, and expecting wonderful results. Learning would be a good thing but you guys just keep right on praising their stupid shit, so they continue to get away with it.

Plus there's a huge difference between having a plan that doesn't work the way you expect and purposely sending in the army navy air force and marines to kill everything they see. It seems to me that's not too hard to figure out but what do I know, I have a functioning brain, which seems to be in short supply these days.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will start with the easy one. Disease killed most of the American Indian population, not the Army. The Army killed their fair share, but disease was by far the greatest killer. I will think about the others. Lunchtime now.

Country
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Disease killed most of the American Indian population, not the Army. The Army killed their fair share, but disease was by far the greatest killer. I will think about the others. Lunchtime now.
    I see. First you find some old drunk who has no standing and get him to sign a phony treaty (which you later break anyhow.) Then you round up all the people who have lived in an area for many centuries and make them walk a thousand miles with basically no food or water. Then you herd them into cardboard boxes surrounded by barbed wire and feed them garbage and booze.

Then when they die of diseases, you didn't kill them, it's not your fault !

Bravo.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let's not. You don't know a goddamned thing about uighurs. Nothing but crap you read in the dipshit lying US press. May as well get your info about the US from Pravda.

But I do know how US cops behave, because I've seen it up close and personal.
    Perhaps you could explain all about Urghurs in light of accusations by other countries of the issue. Chinese leaders tend to have a thin boundary when it comes to restraint of the military and civilian police and have great capacity for brutal and violent action. Even on a scale of being accused of genocide and systematic forced domination and oppression.

In answer to those sentiments perhaps explain what social engineering is supposed to rectify and how detention and forced labor benefits a positive end result to what perceived problem.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was looking for recession 2 years ago and it did not ever appear.

Now we have a glimpse of inflation. This trend may not last, but I hope it does. The US Economy, in my opinion, is on a accelerated growth path that most of us have never imagined.