Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    No one in their right mind would not work for a company 12 years without a raise. There has to be some perks to keep them employed that long without a raise.
    Could be that the job prospects in the area aren't too great. It could be conveniently close to home. Some people don't like change and like their coworkers. There can be more reasons than just money for people to stay at a place like that.

My first shop I stayed on longer than I should have after not getting a raise with them for 3 years. The last 2 reasons I stated there were mine. It was very close to where I lived so I could wake up at 6:45 and be in the parking lot at 6:55. Also the vehicle I was driving was an old company truck I bought that got 10.5 MPG, going down hill with a tail wind, so it was good for my check book saving on gas.

I also liked pretty much everyone there that I worked with who wasn't management/owners, and I just plain hate change in routine and uncertainty.

2. Likes Bobw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: vacation time off. I worked at one of what used to be called the big three automakers and if I needed to take time off for a doctors appt. or anything else I had to use vacation time to cover it. It wasn't always that way but things changed over the years. One of the many reasons that I retired at age 49 and never looked back.

One year I had to take off a few days to attend my grandmothers funeral which was a thousand miles from me. I used one more day of vacation time that I had coming and ended up in the attendance program. This was after about 27 years of employment with no attendance problems at all. They wanted to reduce the work force and that was one way of accomplishing it.

4. Likes JoeE. liked this post
    Country
    DENMARK
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post
    Good Evening Gordon,
    I would doubt that I'm all that different than most toolmakers, but the vast majority of my work, is the same as what I was doing 40 years ago.
    What I wrote was that I had a hard time imagining anyone staying at the same job "for life". I was always ambitious but certainly not all are.

Looking back there isn't much I'd change about the life I've lived. I consider myself very lucky in doing just about everything I've wanted to do.

Bit like Doug in King of Queens. He has no ambition. To each his own but it is unfathomable to me.

Re toolmakers. The area I live in has many toolmakers and several either work at or are connected with Lego. I've never heard one of them complain about being bored although a handful have started their own business. No prize for guessing what their shops make

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawnrs View Post
    No one in their right mind would not work for a company 12 years without a raise. There has to be some perks to keep them employed that long without a raise.
    I had a friend who was a builder, back in 08 his pay was going up 100% per day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Re: vacation time off. I worked at one of what used to be called the big three automakers and if I needed to take time off for a doctors appt. or anything else I had to use vacation time to cover it. It wasn't always that way but things changed over the years. One of the many reasons that I retired at age 49 and never looked back.

One year I had to take off a few days to attend my grandmothers funeral which was a thousand miles from me. I used one more day of vacation time that I had coming and ended up in the attendance program. This was after about 27 years of employment with no attendance problems at all. They wanted to reduce the work force and that was one way of accomplishing it.
    That's automotive in a nutshell.

My dad was in surgery...I took the day off. Doctor came out after 6 hours and told us it didn't look good, surgery wasn't done, much more complicated than scans revealed...it was supposed to be 4 hours in and out...total surgery ended up taking 10. I called in to work (it was 2pm) for the next day so I could sit with my mom. I was told something to the effect of "you should decide if you really want this job".

Stuff like that was just so common.

I've been self employed for 4 years now. I'm not killin it, but I'm not killing myself either.

There are good, well run organizations, where people go out of the way to support one another...but I haven't experienced one as an employee.

8. Likes JoeE. liked this post