Thread: Recession?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I may have underestimated the scope of this virus, but I still believe that are much better times ahead. With that said, I'm doing the best I can to spend as much cash as possible on tools and equipment.

If I survive this plague, my business will flourish.

To the short sellers on Wall Street; 1000 point declines aren't going to budge me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There will not a big rush to buy China,s stuff... might help US builders...Phil

3. Likes otrlt, CalG liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You cant avoid it...all the shiny toys millenials are hooked on come from China ,and nowhere else is on the horizon.And a lot of millenials havent even heard of covid 19 ,they live in a world of electronics and gadgets .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Montana View Post
    There will not a big rush to buy China,s stuff... might help US builders...Phil
    Your statement Phil is dead on correct. US manufacturing is shifting into high gear.

...right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Recession?

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    You cant avoid it...all the shiny toys millenials are hooked on come from China ,and nowhere else is on the horizon.And a lot of millenials havent even heard of covid 19 ,they live in a world of electronics and gadgets .
    This is true, except the majority of millennials work in the shuttered service industries, so unless mommy and daddy hand them money, the millennials can’t buy shit because they are broke!

And I have to be honest, as a manufacturing guy who has been cutting metal since shop class in 1983, I don’t have much sympathy for all the furloughed service-industry workers.

Especially the restaurant workers who were use to making big tips (paid by the customers, not even their employer!), and getting most it that tip money in cash.

Sure, they can make some real money, but waiter/waitress/bartender jobs have always been filled by younger people, who generally move up and on to better employment as they get older.

So, the ones that haven’t moved “up and on”, because they love that huge cash money every night....welcome to the real world!

Piss on the service industry. ...they all depend on manufacturing, energy, and agriculture to even have an economy that needs all those high-and-mighty “service jobs”.

And don’t forget, these service-job people and their politicians have done a good job looking down on us blue-collar guys, and throwing us to the wolves over the years...

7. Likes Limy Sami liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in the spirit of stirring the pot...

what administration pushed the virtues of the service ecomony?

9. Likes Trueturning liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is a far more insidious service industry that feeds off complex legislation...and takes fees everytime someone tries to do something requiring approvals or services from any level of government...At least mowing lawns and washing windows is useful ,these leeches are dependent on the complexity and volume of legislation seemingly crafted to exclude anyone but a professional ,accredited person.

11. Likes Limy Sami, Oldwrench liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post

And don’t forget, these service-job people and their politicians have done a good job looking down on us blue-collar guys, and throwing us to the wolves over the years...
    Is the Manufacturing Sector ready for a pull back? Yes we are, our sector is the most efficient portion of our total economy. Will there be a recession in our industry?

A mild one, maybe, but I still don't see any evidence of any down turn at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    OK Boomer.

Millenials are 40 bud.

14. Likes Comatose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by otrlt View Post

The deal here is consumers. Manufacturing lags that and trails on the up tick.
    US consumer buying, not government free money.
    The pubic is in panic mode. Certainly there are buys and sells in such if running money. Down markets are just as good as up.
    Still I see recession or worse.
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    in the spirit of stirring the pot...

what administration pushed the virtues of the service ecomony?

I can't say which admin. , But AOC is the spokesperson! ;-)

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    The deal here is consumers. Manufacturing lags that and trails on the up tick.
    US consumer buying, not government free money.
    The pubic is in panic mode. Certainly there are buys and sells in such if running money. Down markets are just as good as up.
    Still I see recession or worse.
    Bob
    Hello Carbidebob,
    The majority of manufacturing business do not sell to consumers. Since the beginning, of this thread I noted that a down turn maybe coming. It still haven't sen it to mssi se mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Carbidebob,
    The majority of manufacturing business do not sell to consumers. Since the beginning, of this thread I noted that a down turn maybe coming. It still haven't sen it to mssi se mate

It's kind of complicated, but I think CarbideBob is mostly right - at least eventually.

Consumer spending is said to be 70% of the economy.

Now, if you make tooling for, say, Boeing it doesn't feel that way. But consumer demand for airline travel, drives plane purchases, drives the orders lower tier suppliers receive. Right now, air travel is way down. If not already, plane purchases will be cancelled.

OK, maybe you make parts -or even automation -- for the auto industry. Same deal. Car sales down, pretty soon even the hydraulic cylinders formerly destined for assembly machines are down.

Good news for manufacturing is that it's not in the hospitality business.

If you're in the other 30% of the market (much of it government services, not tangible goods) - something like defense - business might continue as usual for quite a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is the Manufacturing Sector ready for a pull back? Yes we are, our sector is the most efficient portion of our total economy. Will there be a recession in our industry?

How much does Trump pay you to spout that shit?

20. Likes crazygoat, metlmunchr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cnctoolcat View Post
    This is true, except the majority of millennials work in the shuttered service industries, so unless mommy and daddy hand them money, the millennials can’t buy shit because they are broke!
    Ok, let's get one thing clear here...

I know "millenial" is the catch all phrase for the younger, "lazy" generation...

But most of us ACTUAL millenials are 30+, been working for the last 20+ years, and just bridge the gap between you and the teenyboppers, who are actually Gen Z, NOT millenials.

I'm a millenial. I'm 33, been working some sort of job almost every day since I was 6 (yes, I got my first job giving away newspapers to tourists on the cruise ship docks of Skagway, AK when I was 6). I've mowed lawns, I've picked fruit, I've washed windows, I've done retail, I've done carpentry, and I've been machining for the last 8 years.

I'm currently working 55-60hrs a week at a medical OEM who is declared essential infrastructure during our state's safer at home order.

So you can talk trash about Gen Z... But you leave millenials out of your trash talking. We're working just as hard as you are.

22. Likes dww6eng, PeteM, Demon73, Greg White, Oldwrench and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Half this crap goes back to Pliny the Elder I think and gets tiresome rehashed by old Johnny & Co every other week as if it's somehow novel or witty.

It's funny how some dipshit in a service industry uses a short hand to describe a population spike - for a group, that's somehow homogeneous (and with an end date that was always changing!). Subsequent dumb kunts, coin further terms for ill-defined birth years as also being all the same.....then some assert superiority based on time of vaginal discharge. Hmmm, Fuck: Me: Drunk: idiocracy here we come.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those of you that think that US industry has come to a stop.. you don't know this business.

Although the production lines may have slowed, the internal workings at Ford, GM, Boeing, Honeywell and the hundreds more Blue Chip manufacturers have their toolrooms working overtime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure where that information comes from.
    Production is not slowed, it is 100% stopped. Right now no one is building automobiles in the United States.
    Bob

26. Likes Limy Sami, Greg White, tim9lives liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES MINOR OUTLYING ISLANDS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CarbideBob View Post
    Not sure where that information comes from.
    The voices in otrit's head ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those of you that think that US industry has come to a stop.. you don't know this business.

Although the production lines may have slowed, the internal workings at Ford, GM, Boeing, Honeywell and the hundreds more Blue Chip manufacturers have their toolrooms working overtime.
    Okay, assuming you're correct in what you say about the internal workings, …...….and assuming the virus emergency ends in (say) 3 months, who is going to have the money to spend on manufactured and consumer items.

Everyone will be up to their eyeballs in debt from just staying alive, the 2nd hand market will be awash with anything that can raise a few $ to live on, ………….while the ''lucky few'' that still have money, would be plain out of their tiny minds to want to travel anywhere they do not absolutely have to.